Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Winners of WP's biggest award still haven't received money

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:27 am

Winners of Wikipedia's biggest award still haven't received prize money
The Wikipedian of the Year award is surely one of the Internet's stranger prizes. It does not exist in any formal sense, and its winners do not always know they have won. Wikipedia doesn't actually sponsor it. There are, in fact, no published criteria for winning the award; that's entirely the discretion Jimmy ("Jimbo") Wales, the encyclopedia's cofounder (and "God-king"), who now sits on the board of trustees.

And he owes the two winners $5,000 each.
See also related discussion here.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Winners of WP's biggest award still haven't received mon

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:23 am

Wales might not be Welsh, but he is a welcher.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 am

On Wales' talk page. The first time, he deleted it. Now he says, "The author is not a real journalist."

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 am

HRIP7 wrote:On Wales' talk page. The first time, he deleted it. Now he says, "The author is not a real journalist."
Jimbo says http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... s_not_true "Read the last sentence of the article, my statement. OK, the last sentence of the article, his statement, says:
After we contacted Wales about Demmy's situation, he responded: "First I heard of it. I'm in touch with him now. Thanks for the heads up.
Like the IP, I am confused. First he heard of what? Here's the timeline.

The Signpost:
Continuing a tradition from last year, along with extending the theme in his speech, Wales gave a "Jimbo Award" to the Yoruba Wikipedia's Demmy, who used bot-assisted article creation to boost the site's article count to 29,000. Through this and other initiatives, Demmy increased the editor base from essentially himself to at least four active editors. Wales announced that he would give Demmy, who at the time of the speech had no idea he had won anything, US$5000.
Wikimania speech, July 12–15
From the Yoruban Wikipedia:
Jimbo Wales has just announced the Wikipedian of the Year award, and it is you! Congratulations! Rich Farmbrough (talk) 14:41, 12 Oṣù Keje [July ] 2012 (UTC)

Yes, congratulations! Thank you so much for all of your work on this Wikipedia :) Phoebe (talk) 10:46, 28 Oṣù Kẹjọ [August] 2012 (UTC)

Hi, Demmy! I want to contact you - can you reach me at jwales@wikia.com --Jimbo Wales (ọ̀rọ̀) 10:14, 13 Oṣù Kínní [January] 2013 (UTC)

Jimmy Wales contacted me in January but I haven't heard from him since. He told me then that he was going to Davos and when he return he would process the paper work and send me the prize money but he is yet to contact me so I am really not sure what the delay is. He didn't say anything about holding ceremony. Demmy (ọ̀rọ̀) 15:57, 24 Oṣù Kẹrin [April] 2013 (UTC)
Demmy claims to have sent Jimmy two emails since then (on Feb 22 2013 and Mar 29 2013) but he didn't reply to either of them.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I had a go at transcribing Jimmy's 12 July Washington speech where he gives the award to Demmy. Very echoey and difficult to hear, but my attempt below. The first part is about the 2011 award.
23:45 So, now it's time for the global awards, yay! [applause] I started this last year and I hope to make it an ongoing tradition. And last year for the first time I gave the Wikipedian of the Year award to Ruan [sic] who is here somewhere, can he stand up? And I gave a donation to the Kazakh Wikipedia community, er, and to visit Kazakhstan, actually I have to say I haven't yet but the offer still stands and I [...] to the ambassador to Kazakhstan this morning, and I hope to get there as soon as possible so I can give the award in the presence of the President and Prime Minister [...].

And so now for this year, er, I'm going to do that again. [...] To announce the Wikipedian of the Year, it's user Demmy, who almost no one knows, because he's the sole lonely guy plucking [?] away on the Yoruban Wikipedia that I just spoke about. His accomplishment, but unfortunately he's not here today. He created about 15,000 articles using a bot, and the result - this is why I think this it is actually valuable - is that the Yoruban Wikipedia went from having one or two active editors, so almost no one there, to having fortysix [?] active editors. A few people are coming in, they are finding ... they are thinking ... today ... this article is really crap [...] and so people start to become active, so, I do wish Demmy were here, but he isn't, so if anybody wants to edit his page and tell him - he has no idea he has $5,000 [laughter]. [...] For Raun's award, I said I would give it to the chapter or proto-chapter to bring them together for a conference, but in this case there is no chapter so I will let him decide to use it. I think I will perhaps encourage him to use it to help the local Wikipedia or [...] he is sort of a typical Wikipedian, he has done some amazing work, I have no idea [26:20]

Audio of Press Conference after the opening keynote and plenary session at 11:20 a.m., 12 July 2012, Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Part 2 http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Talk:Wikima ... .27s_Notes

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:38 pm

When Jimbo says, "First I heard of it. I'm in touch with him now. Thanks for the heads up", I think he might mean the following:

"I thought I paid Demmy already because I had a dream in early February that I had paid him, so this is the first I heard that he hasn't received the award money, because I've been ignoring the e-mails he has been sending me. I'm e-mailing him now to confirm that he hasn't received the payment, because my dream seemed so vivid, I had to assume he was paid. Thanks for the notice that dream money isn't actual real world money. I will have to start planning another big excuse for having not paid Demmy. And Rauan. Maybe I can tie this non-payment excuse into that other excuse I'm still dreaming up to explain why I uploaded copyrighted portrait photographs to Commons when I didn't have permission to do so."
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Peter Damian wrote:I had a go at transcribing Jimmy's 12 July Washington speech where he gives the award to Demmy. Very echoey and difficult to hear, but my attempt below. The first part is about the 2011 award.
23:45 So, now it's time for the global awards, yay! [applause] I started this last year and I hope to make it an ongoing tradition. And last year for the first time I gave the Wikipedian of the Year award to Ruan [sic] who is here somewhere, can he stand up? And I gave a donation to the Kazakh Wikipedia community, er, and to visit Kazakhstan, actually I have to say I haven't yet but the offer still stands and I [...] to the ambassador to Kazakhstan this morning, and I hope to get there as soon as possible so I can give the award in the presence of the President and Prime Minister [...].

And so now for this year, er, I'm going to do that again. [...] To announce the Wikipedian of the Year, it's user Demmy, who almost no one knows, because he's the sole lonely guy plucking [?] away on the Yoruban Wikipedia that I just spoke about. His accomplishment, but unfortunately he's not here today. He created about 15,000 articles using a bot, and the result - this is why I think this it is actually valuable - is that the Yoruban Wikipedia went from having one or two active editors, so almost no one there, to having fortysix [?] active editors. A few people are coming in, they are finding ... they are thinking ... today ... this article is really crap [...] and so people start to become active, so, I do wish Demmy were here, but he isn't, so if anybody wants to edit his page and tell him - he has no idea he has $5,000 [laughter]. [...] For Raun's award, I said I would give it to the chapter or proto-chapter to bring them together for a conference, but in this case there is no chapter so I will let him decide to use it. I think I will perhaps encourage him to use it to help the local Wikipedia or [...] he is sort of a typical Wikipedian, he has done some amazing work, I have no idea [26:20]

Audio of Press Conference after the opening keynote and plenary session at 11:20 a.m., 12 July 2012, Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Part 2 http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Talk:Wikima ... .27s_Notes
Thanks. :bow:

Another discrepancy is that here on the Wikimedia blog people were told –
In his “State of the Wiki” address at the 2011 Wikimania, Jimmy Wales awarded the first ever “Wikipedian of the Year” award to Rauan Kenzhekhanuly, a Wikipedian from Kazakhstan. Included with the honor was travel expenses to bring Rauan to Wikimania 2012 in Washington, D.C., next week, where Rauan is looking forward to sharing his experiences with growing the Kazakh Wikipedia and learning more about others’ outreach programs.
Of course we now know that Rauan never received any money ...

In addition, above and in the speech at Wikimania 2011, Wales said that the money was for a regional conference, not Wikimania. That conference was in fact subsequently sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation to the tune of $16,600 (with a major controversy later on developing in the Turkish Wikipedia about just who benefited from having their travel expenses paid).

So even this part of the story has a protean way of shifting from one thing to another. And Wales didn't pay anything.

In Meta 4 months ago, when the press started asking questions, Jimmy made a point of downplaying his contacts with the Kazakh government:
:Hi in [http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t ... id=2838257 this edit] [User:84.240.196.128] introduced the claim that I met with (now former) Prime Minister of Kazakhstan at Davos. This is in error; I have never met with him. I [http://blog.peaceworks.net/2008/05/kaza ... mic-forum/ did attend] a Kazakhstan reception at another World Economic Forum event (with humorous results for my friends, as you can read about in that blog post), but I was one of hundreds of guests there and did not get to meet with any top officials. I have had a casual meeting with someone from his office, and various other casual or indirect contacts with Kazakhs over the years, but never a formal meeting with the President, the Prime Minister, or any ministers there. Yet.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] ([[User talk:Jimbo Wales|talk]]) 15:41, 29 December 2012 (UTC)
But in fact he had clearly been engaged in negotiations for a state visit to be attended by both the President and the Prime Minister. If you make agreements to meet the President and Prime Minister, who confirm they will come to attend an awards ceremony for an award you have just invented, would ordinary people in the street say that that is correctly described as "various other casual or indirect contacts with Kazakhs over the years"?

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:08 pm

"ending useless trolling conversation" http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =552557175

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:On Wales' talk page. The first time, he deleted it. Now he says, "The author is not a real journalist."
Jimbo says http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... s_not_true "Read the last sentence of the article, my statement. OK, the last sentence of the article, his statement, says:
After we contacted Wales about Demmy's situation, he responded: "First I heard of it. I'm in touch with him now. Thanks for the heads up.
Like the IP, I am confused. First he heard of what?
And now Wales has deleted the whole thing from his talk page again.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:32 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:
Like the IP, I am confused. First he heard of what?
And now Wales has deleted the whole thing from his talk page again.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 pm

LOL. If I remember correctly, Kevin Morris was the first journalist to ask Roger Bamkin aka Victuallers for a statement during the Gibraltarpedia scandal.
That's what real journalists do: hear both sides and report impartially. Kevin has written many perfectly neutral pieces about Wikipedia – though he may feel less inclined to do so in the future. :XD

Jimbo Wales's idea of a real journalist is likely modelled on the sycophants worshipping him on his talk page. Luckily, most of those time-wasters couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Tippi Hadron wrote:
LOL. If I remember correctly, Kevin Morris was the first journalist to ask Roger Bamkin aka Victuallers for a statement during the Gibraltarpedia scandal.
That's what real journalists do: hear both sides and report impartially. Kevin has written many perfectly neutral pieces about Wikipedia – though he may feel less inclined to do so in the future. :XD

Jimbo Wales's idea of a real journalist is likely modelled on the sycophants worshipping him on his talk page. Luckily, most of those time-wasters couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag.
Has someone informed Mr. Morris that Jimbo said that he wasn't "a real journalist?"

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 am

Cla68 wrote:
Tippi Hadron wrote:

Has someone informed Mr. Morris that Jimbo said that he wasn't "a real journalist?"
Yes.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

And deleted again. If he were smart and responsible, he would just make a statement and apologise for treating Demmy the way he has: as a pawn, useful to point to as a success story at Wikimania, but not worth the respect to contact him, answer his e-mails, and pay him the publicly promised money in a timely manner.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm

HRIP7 wrote:If he were smart and responsible...
:bash:

It's like saying, "If the Michael Scott character on The Office were smart and responsible..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Cla68 wrote:Has someone informed Mr. Morris that Jimbo said that he wasn't "a real journalist?"
Incidentally, another Wikipedia story by Morris has just been featured on The Verge, as part of their round-up of the web's best writing of the week. Deservedly so, it's an excellent read.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:45 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Has someone informed Mr. Morris that Jimbo said that he wasn't "a real journalist?"
Incidentally, another Wikipedia story by Morris has just been featured on The Verge, as part of their round-up of the web's best writing of the week. Deservedly so, it's an excellent read.
That's a great article.
I can imagine the spittle flecked screens of certain wikipediots after they read the article.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 am

Now covered in the Wikipedia Signpost.
Jimbo Award: The "Jimbo Award", which Jimmy Wales awarded to two editors at Wikimania 2011 and 2012, has been brought up again this week when it was discovered that he had not paid either editor the promised US$5000 reward. The 2011 winner has, according to Wales, been waiting for him to make a trip to Kazakhstan to award the money in person. Demmy, the 2012 winner, had been in contact with Wales in January, but Wales did not reply to subsequent emails. The next recorded contact was last Friday, after a journalist, possibly Kevin Morris of the Daily Dot, contacted Wales about the matter. Demmy told the Signpost that "$5000 is not a small cash for somebody like myself ... after Jimmy's initial promise, I put in an application for Wikimania 2013 scholarship ... I was accepted but had to decline because Jimmy's promise was not forthcoming and I had until April 19 to accept or decline. The money would have helped me cover some expenses while I would be gone and of course while I would be there."

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am

Could someone ask Jimbo on his talk page to submit a response to the Signpost blurb? I suggest wording it like, "Jimbo, just wanted to let you know that the Signpost covered the Kazakhstan non-payment of promised award if you would like to respond to it."

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 am

Cla68 wrote:Could someone ask Jimbo on his talk page to submit a response to the Signpost blurb? I suggest wording it like, "Jimbo, just wanted to let you know that the Signpost covered the Kazakhstan non-payment of promised award if you would like to respond to it."
I expect Prioryman will be on the/your* case shortly.

*Delete as appropriate.
Time for a new signature.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Someone should add the information that Wales created the Global Wikipedian of the Year award.

It's not in his article and it's definitely verifiable now.
http://www.dailydot.com/news/wikipedian ... ize-money/
http://www.quora.com/Wikimedia-Foundati ... Year-award
http://www.allvoices.com/news/13683810- ... ctatorship
http://www.talkradionews.com/news/2012/ ... world.html
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3566
http://netprophet.tol.org/2013/01/08/cr ... wikipedia/
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/news-events/ ... f-the-year

Once that is added, it's pretty easy to see how you get to the two recipients not getting paid.
A quick call to the press alerting them to the contents of Jimmy's article should do the rest.
After that, he's pretty much certain to cough up the money.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 am

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:24 am

mac wrote:
Cla68 wrote:There we go.
Problem solved.
I would have thought the decent thing would have been to give Demmy another chance at that Wikimania scholarship he had to turn down because of Jimmy Wales' non-payment ...

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 am

Wales seems to have whined to The Daily Dot about that story:
"Demmy told the Signpost that '$5000 is not a small cash for somebody like myself'" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _and_notes
"I put in an application for Wikimania 2013 scholarship ... I was accepted but had to decline because Jimmy's promise was not forthcoming."
Wales called my story about the money he owed to prize winners "hostile" and a "non-story." Doesn't like it was a non-story for them.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I wonder what Jimbo considers a "real journalist" if not this?

Master's degree in Magazine, Newspaper, and Online Journalism. One of five Carnegie fellows at ABC News selected from the nation's top journalism schools. Adjunct professor in journalism at Ithaca College.

Jimbo is so stupid when he mouths off.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

thekohser wrote:
I wonder what Jimbo considers a "real journalist" if not this?

Master's degree in Magazine, Newspaper, and Online Journalism. One of five Carnegie fellows at ABC News selected from the nation's top journalism schools. Adjunct professor in journalism at Ithaca College.

Jimbo is so stupid when he mouths off.
Were I counsel for Jimbo's defence (which thank Heaven I'm not!) I could argue that Mr. Morris may have qualifications as a journalist but is not working in a proper journalism job. (Nobody here will be convinced by that, though.)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Outsider wrote:Were I counsel for Jimbo's defence (which thank Heaven I'm not!) I could argue that Mr. Morris may have qualifications as a journalist but is not working in a proper journalism job. (Nobody here will be convinced by that, though.)
Daily Dot pays Morris a regular salary for his work covering news stories. (Yes, I confirmed this with Morris.) Having a hard time seeing how that's not "proper journalism" or that Morris is a "real journalist".

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 pm

thekohser wrote:
Outsider wrote:Were I counsel for Jimbo's defence (which thank Heaven I'm not!) I could argue that Mr. Morris may have qualifications as a journalist but is not working in a proper journalism job. (Nobody here will be convinced by that, though.)
Daily Dot pays Morris a regular salary for his work covering news stories. (Yes, I confirmed this with Morris.) Having a hard time seeing how that's not "proper journalism" or that Morris is a "real journalist".
As I said, nobody here will be convinced by that.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't think Jimbo is ever going to live that comment down.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am

I wonder why other newspapers do not cover this story. This story has some great potentials: a great, hard-working Wikipedian from Nigeria cannot attend Wikimania because Wikipedia's co-founder is not keeping his promise.
Last edited by neved on Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 am

Cla68 wrote:I don't think Jimbo is ever going to live that comment down.
I dunno, he seems to have a knack for getting away with lying and assholery. Hopefully you're right, but the track record is pretty impressive in a revolting sort of way.
This is not a signature.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 am

Question on Quora:
Andreas Kolbe's answer to:
Jimmy Wales: Why did Jimbo Wales say that Daily Dot writer Kevin Morris is, "not a real journalist"?
Andreas Kolbe, Wikipedian, wikipediocracy.com moderator Edit Bio
It is mystifying to me. The comments were made in response to questions on Mr Wales' Wikipedia talk page about a recent story by Kevin Morris (Page on Dailydot) reporting that Jimmy Wales had not paid the winners of the 2011 and 2012 Global Wikipedian of the Year Awards their $5,000 prize money.

The Global Wikipedian of the Year award, also known as the Jimbo award, was created at the Wikimania 2011 conference. It is not given by the Wikimedia Foundation, but by Jimmy Wales personally, so the prize money comes out of his pocket.

The 2011 winner was an editor who had set up a government-supported organisation named WikiBilim in Kazakhstan that says it has "started to administrate the Kazakh Wikipedia (About Foundation), and is under the patronage of the Kazakh President's chief of staff, Karim Massimov (who was the Kazakh prime minister at the time). In this case, Wales has said that he has not paid the winner yet because he had always intended to do so in Kazakhstan, and had not had a chance to go yet (User talk:Jimbo Wales). At his speech at Wikimania in 2011, Wales said there would be a ceremony in Kazakhstan attended by the prime minister:

[Direct link to the relevant passage in the video.]

When announcing the 2012 award at Wikimania in Washington the year after, Wales said that he had discussed the matter with the Kazakh ambassador, and that the award would eventually be given in the presence of both the Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbaev and the prime minister ( http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Talk:Wikima ... .27s_Notes 24:30 of part 2 of the press conference after the opening keynote and plenary session). Apparently, Wales plans to go to Kazakhstan some time this year.

The story with the 2012 winner, announced in the same audio, is a very different one. There was no government involvement in this case: the winner was an obscure contributor to the Yoruba Wikipedia named Demmy who was not actually informed of his win beforehand by Mr Wales and was not present in the audience when the announcement was made. Wikipedians who attended the conference informed him on his Wikipedia user page (User talk:Demmy (usurped), Ọ̀rọ̀ oníṣe:Demmy - Wikipedia, ìwé-ìmọ̀ ọ̀fẹ́). It seems Wales then forgot to contact Demmy until January 2013, after there was a media controversy about the 2011 winner's Kazakh government links (Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales restricts discussion of Tony Blair friendship - Telegraph, Page on Dailydot).

According to Wikipedia's own newsletter, The Signpost (Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2013-04-29/News and notes), this contact however still did not result in Demmy being paid the promised $5,000, leading to him having to cancel his plans to attend Wikimania 2013:

The "Jimbo Award", which Jimmy Wales awarded to two editors at Wikimania 2011 and 2012, has been brought up again this week when it was discovered that he had not paid either editor the promised US$5000 reward. The 2011 winner has, according to Wales, been waiting for him to make a trip to Kazakhstan to award the money in person. Demmy, the 2012 winner, had been in contact with Wales in January, but Wales did not reply to subsequent emails. The next recorded contact was last Friday, after a journalist, possibly Kevin Morris of the Daily Dot, contacted Wales about the matter. Demmy told the Signpost that "$5000 is not a small cash for somebody like myself ... after Jimmy's initial promise, I put in an application for Wikimania 2013 scholarship ... I was accepted but had to decline because Jimmy's promise was not forthcoming and I had until April 19 to accept or decline. The money would have helped me cover some expenses while I would be gone and of course while I would be there."

Wales was apparently unhappy with the matter being reported in The Daily Dot: according to Kevin Morris, Wales complained that the story was "hostile" and a "non-story" (kmmokai: Wales called my story about ...), and he cast the above aspersions on Morris on his Wikipedia talk page. It should be noted that other journalists who have written critically about aspects of Wikipedia have reported being at the receiving end of similar attacks from Mr Wales (violetblue: .@Wikipedia_Forum @kmmokai ...).

This seems to me like shooting the messenger: Morris' qualifications as a journalist are beyond doubt (Kevin Morris | LinkedIn); in fact a recent article of his on a Wikipedia hoax was listed by the Verge as among the week's best writing on the web (The best writing of the week, April 28, Page on Dailydot).

I believe Wales owes both Demmy and Kevin Morris an apology, and I hope he will takes this opportunity to issue one. I also hope that he will have paid Demmy by now, and that perhaps he can do his best to ensure that Demmy can attend Wikimania 2013 after all, if he still wishes to.

(Disclosure: I advised both Kevin Morris and the Signpost of the fact that Demmy had not been paid, and I am currently banned from Jimmy Wales' talk page in the English Wikipedia because of my comments about the Kazakh Global Wikipedian of the Year award, as reported in the above-linked Telegraph piece.)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Excellent...

We need a Montgomery Burns smiley.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Andreas Kolbe's answer to:
Jimmy Wales: Why did Jimbo Wales say that Daily Dot writer Kevin Morris is, "not a real journalist"?
Is that a blog post in the making or what....
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Over 500 people have viewed the question and it hasn't been hidden yet.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 am

Has the editor got his award yet?
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 am

Maybe the front page should have a ticking clock counting the days Jimbo has stiffed his award winners starting from when it was known he hasn't paid them.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:52 am

neved wrote:Has the editor got his award yet?
I dropped him a mail a couple of days ago. No reply as yet.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
And still no response? Maybe Jimbo asked the editor to stop discussing this matter with anybody?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

neved wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
And still no response? Maybe Jimbo asked the editor to stop discussing this matter with anybody?
Someone check to see if the editors in question aren't globally locked.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 am

neved wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
I received a reply yesterday. According to Demmy, the money still hasn't arrived, but this is now genuinely just due to the fact that they hit a "little snag" in doing the transfer. Demmy is confident it will be sorted shortly.

Wikimedia didn't offer to reinstate the scholarship, but Jimmy offered to pay Demmy's ticket to Wikimania himself (Demmy had to decline, as he's now made other arrangements). So it sounds like Jimmy is being a gentleman about it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 am

HRIP7 wrote:So it sounds like Jimmy is being a gentleman about it.
Jimmy the Gent? Why does that sound familiar? :dubious:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Please hold the accolades until the "little snags" are worked out. It is not that difficult to send money overseas. Really, it isn't.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm

thekohser wrote:
Please hold the accolades until the "little snags" are worked out. It is not that difficult to send money overseas. Really, it isn't.
Truly.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
neved wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
I received a reply yesterday. According to Demmy, the money still hasn't arrived, but this is now genuinely just due to the fact that they hit a "little snag" in doing the transfer. Demmy is confident it will be sorted shortly.

Wikimedia didn't offer to reinstate the scholarship, but Jimmy offered to pay Demmy's ticket to Wikimania himself (Demmy had to decline, as he's now made other arrangements). So it sounds like Jimmy is being a gentleman about it.

Albert Einstein once remarked: "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."

And what really interests me is whether Mr. Wales had any choice in being a gentleman about Jimbo's award.
I mean after the article, and after all the questions on his talk that he deleted, after the Signpost wrote that Demmy should have cancelled his Wikimania trip because he did not get the promised award Jimbo really had no choice, but paying the award and offering to pay for the tickets, and being a gentleman because one has no other choice does not count I am afraid.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 pm

neved wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
neved wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:

Albert Einstein once remarked: "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."

And what really interests me is whether Mr. Wales had any choice in being a gentleman about Jimbo's award.
I mean after the article, and after all the questions on his talk that he deleted, after the Signpost wrote that Demmy should have cancelled his Wikimania trip because he did not get the promised award Jimbo really had no choice, but paying the award and offering to pay for the tickets, and being a gentleman because one has no other choice does not count I am afraid.
Honor is what is missing from Jimbo.
honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
Integrity can best be explained as "doing the right thing when no-one is watching".
Fairness, being even handed.
Honesty is just about telling the truth.

As the line in Rob Roy goes, "Honor is the gift a man gives himself."

He started at the CME and that will destroy you.
Since then, he's been an opportunist looking for a big score, continually thwarted.

In these little acts of faithlessness, he dishonors himself further.

Jimbo, just pay the man for christ's sake.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Well done all.
I am pleased to announce that I have received the $5000 prize money for the 2012 Wikipedian of the Year. It took a while because there was some problem on the method of transfer, mostly from my end but it was finally sorted. I'll like to thank Jimbo for the prize and for his offer to pay my airline ticket to Hong Kong for Wikimania, though I had to decline. And I realized that the prize money had been a source of mini controversy around Jimbo through no fault of his own, and then the trouble he went through with my original chosen method of money transfer that didn't work, my sincere apology for any inconveniences caused by the matter. I also thank all those that showed interest on the matter. Demmy (talk) 14:56, 14 June 2013 (UTC)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Well done all.
I am pleased to announce that I have received the $5000 prize money for the 2012 Wikipedian of the Year. It took a while because there was some problem on the method of transfer, mostly from my end but it was finally sorted. I'll like to thank Jimbo for the prize and for his offer to pay my airline ticket to Hong Kong for Wikimania, though I had to decline. And I realized that the prize money had been a source of mini controversy around Jimbo through no fault of his own, and then the trouble he went through with my original chosen method of money transfer that didn't work, my sincere apology for any inconveniences caused by the matter. I also thank all those that showed interest on the matter. Demmy (talk) 14:56, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
Shouldn't Jimmy be liable for back interest?
;)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:43 pm

<very slow clap>

Only ten months to resolve a bank transfer issue. How impressive!