kołdry
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Universal CoC

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 am

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:17 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 pm
When this was first brought up, it was sold as only being about the smaller wikis, where it is possible for a small group to basically stage a coup and kick out everyone who isn't in line with whatever shitty agenda the coup is based on.
How does uCoCk prevent this?
Allegedly, it will allow either the new U4C or Trust and Safety to come in and remove rogue regimes that stage such coups on the smaller wikis, by banning coup participants based on this global policy. Whether it actually does that remains to be seen, but the selling point for the big wikis with arbcoms was basically "this is to help us prevent systemic abuse on smaller projects, it is not about your project and you can continue to run your own internal affairs."

The previous draft of the enforcement guidelines did not align with that promise at all. With the more onerous requirements now removed, I'm cautiously optimistic that it may actually not really mean anything to the larger projects like en.wp.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:01 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 am
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:17 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 pm
When this was first brought up, it was sold as only being about the smaller wikis, where it is possible for a small group to basically stage a coup and kick out everyone who isn't in line with whatever shitty agenda the coup is based on.
How does uCoCk prevent this?
Allegedly, it will allow either the new U4C or Trust and Safety to come in and remove rogue regimes that stage such coups on the smaller wikis, by banning coup participants based on this global policy. Whether it actually does that remains to be seen, but the selling point for the big wikis with arbcoms was basically "this is to help us prevent systemic abuse on smaller projects, it is not about your project and you can continue to run your own internal affairs."

The previous draft of the enforcement guidelines did not align with that promise at all. With the more onerous requirements now removed, I'm cautiously optimistic that it may actually not really mean anything to the larger projects like en.wp.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 am
So the lack of UCoC means they had to helplessly watch a coup on Chinese Wikipedia, and once UCoC is in place they will finally have the tools they need to throw out the abusers?

You can continue to run your own internal affairs, as long as you don't allow someone to run a successful coup on the English wiki too.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:55 pm

For the record, I personally think the whole endeavor is silly and the foundation can and does use the TOU to ban users already. This is so much time and effort for a payoff of very questionable value.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:14 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:55 pm
For the record, I personally think the whole endeavor is silly and the foundation can and does use the TOU to ban users already. This is so much time and effort for a payoff of very questionable value.
Speaking of useless efforts that pay people of questionable talent, whatever happened to the 5 year planning cycle/diversity effort thingy that Maher tried to ram through?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Smultronstället
Regular

Unread post by Smultronstället » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:14 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:14 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Speaking of useless efforts that pay people of questionable talent, whatever happened to the 5 year planning cycle/diversity effort thingy that Maher tried to ram through?
I don't recall hearing about this endeavor of Maher's.
All that's needed is humility, prayer, fasting, Bible reading, patient endurance, and true faith in and obedience to Jesus. Correct belief adheres strictly to the Bible neither omitting nor adding to the Word of God. There are no secrets.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 am

Smultronstället wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:14 am
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
She was a lightweight. Didn't accomplish much. I sat next to her during a lunch break for fifteen minutes and listened to her talk on the phone to some WMF staff... I gathered that her inner dialogue was about the same as random static.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 am
Smultronstället wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
She was a lightweight. Didn't accomplish much. I sat next to her during a lunch break for fifteen minutes and listened to her talk on the phone to some WMF staff... I gathered that her inner dialogue was about the same as random static.
I would have guessed 'slide whistle'.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:27 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:02 pm
Zoloft wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 am
Smultronstället wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
I would have guessed 'slide whistle'.
Going up or down?
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

Vigilant

Re: Universal CoCk

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 24, 2023 3:17 am

Quislings needed to fill out the enforcement wing of the WMF

First to sign up gets to be obersturmführer.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:18 pm

Italian admins and a steward using the UCoCk as a bludgeon.

We warned you this would happen.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:34 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:18 pm
Italian admins and a steward using the UCoCk as a bludgeon.

We warned you this would happen.
Covered in detail in this thread, apparently.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:33 pm

I haven't looked into these allegations, because who the hell wants to do that, but if this is really going on, it would appear to be the type of situation that we were told the UCoC is meant to resolve. Basically, a Bosnian Wikipedian is alleging that Serbs and Croats are blocking content that makes Serbia and Croatia look bad ''on the Bosnain Wikipedia''. https://www.reddit.com/r/wikipedia/comm ... wikipedia/

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:38 pm

Notice I just saw at the top of the page when I dropped by at https://www.mediawiki.org/

The voting period for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) charter is now open.
Read more on voter information and eligibility details.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:46 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:38 pm
Notice I just saw at the top of the page when I dropped by at https://www.mediawiki.org/

The voting period for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) charter is now open.
The inquisition shall start shortly.
Please form an orderly queue.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:19 pm

Observing how, from the page history, the development of this charter was dominated by editors whose user ID ends with (WMF).

From the user page of the editor who created the on-wiki "UCoC coordinating committee charter" page
The problem with Wikipedia is that it only works in practice. In theory, it’s a total disaster.

I see how you make it work in practice. Quite a contrast with how Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents works in practice.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:14 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:38 pm

Don't forget to vote against ratification early and often!

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:04 am

I'm not included in the eligible voters, so it won't apply to me, right?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:54 am

I've received an email with the following subject.
Vote on the Charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee Charter
Why isn't there a committee to oversee the charter for the committee to oversee the charter?

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:43 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:54 am
I've received an email with the following subject.
Vote on the Charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee Charter
Why isn't there a committee to oversee the charter for the committee to oversee the charter?
Or a committee to proofread and correct spelling and grammar in the charter before we're asked to vote on it?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:32 pm

To be fair, the second "charter" could be referring to some guy who makes charts, but whose job also requires a founding document of some kind.

TheWordsmith
Contributor
Wikipedia User: The Wordsmith
Wikipedia Review Member: None

Unread post by TheWordsmith » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:55 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:32 pm
To be fair, the second "charter" could be referring to some guy who makes charts, but whose job also requires a founding document of some kind.
You'd need a chart to keep track of the various Charters, Commissions, Committees and various other bodies assembling different parts of the uCoC(k)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:01 pm

TheWordsmith wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:55 am
Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:32 pm
You'd need a chart to keep track of the various Charters, Commissions, Committees and various other bodies assembling different parts of the uCoC(k)
They should have invested in better administratium air-filters at WMF facilities.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm

Voter information

A vote to ratify the charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) was held from 19 January until 2 February 2024 via SecurePoll. Voting is now closed. Thank you to all who voted. The result was 1249 voters in support and 420 voters opposed. 69 voters did not choose an option. Voter statistics and a summary of voter comments will be published soon.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm
Voter information

A vote to ratify the charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) was held from 19 January until 2 February 2024 via SecurePoll. Voting is now closed. Thank you to all who voted. The result was 1249 voters in support and 420 voters opposed. 69 voters did not choose an option. Voter statistics and a summary of voter comments will be published soon.
Those are votes across all Wikis, right?
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:25 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm
No Ledge wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm
Voter information

AFAIK, yes.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 am

I'm a proud NO voter.

What kind of a retard would vote Yes on a stacked-and-predecided plebiscite like this?

t

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:08 am

redbaron wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:25 pm
rnu wrote:
AFAIK, yes.
Were WMF staff eligible to vote in this round?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:17 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:08 am
redbaron wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:25 pm
rnu wrote:
AFAIK, yes.
Were WMF staff eligible to vote in this round?
Voting eligibility is set by the Wikimedia Board of Trustees. All registered Wikimedia contributors who meet minimum activity requirements, affiliate and Wikimedia Foundation staff and contractors (employed prior to 28 November 2023), and current and former Wikimedia Foundation trustees, will have the opportunity to vote on the proposed Charter in SecurePoll.
link

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:07 am

It would be very interesting to see just how many WMF, chapter apparatchiks, etc voted for the uCoCk.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:07 am
It would be very interesting to see just how many WMF, chapter apparatchiks, etc voted for the uCoCk.
Not sure whether to take the unders or overs on "all of them".

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:41 pm

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:07 am
Not sure whether to take the unders or overs on "all of them".
I was thinking 'as a percentage of the total yes votes' might be interesting.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:01 pm

There now appears to be UCoCk elections for co-ordinators or something now link

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm

if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm

ltbdl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm
the votes for u4c are open!
It took a surprisingly long time to click that many OPPOSE buttons. I need a stylus and a Wacom tablet or something.

t

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:14 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm
It took a surprisingly long time to click that many OPPOSE buttons. I need a stylus and a Wacom tablet or something.

t
An "oppose all" button would have been appreciated.

arkon
Critic
Wikipedia User: arkon

Unread post by arkon » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:13 am

I can't even spite vote in that shit, I don't know these people

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am

arkon wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:13 am
I was going to vote against everyone but Barkeep is on the list. And he really would try to make it work, bad idea as it may be. So then I went to the candidates' page and ... pretty much what you said.

Why are we electing these people again?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am
arkon wrote:
I was going to vote against everyone but Barkeep is on the list. And he really would try to make it work, bad idea as it may be. So then I went to the candidates' page and ... pretty much what you said.

Super Adventure Club for Young Careerists

t

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am
Elinruby wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am
arkon wrote:

Super Adventure Club for Young Careerists

t
Those trips to international seminars won't take themselves...

Jester
Contributor

Unread post by Jester » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

arkon wrote:
Just vote for the ones with the least contributions globally (plus Sleyece). That's more or less equivalent to voting for it to fail or voting for protest candidates.

Or oppose everyone and pray they can't form a quorum (8 IIRC?).
May your light shine / And the little birds, /Bring joy with their singing, / They are welcome to me