Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Ryuichi
Gregarious
kołdry

Re: News from RFA

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:15 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:39 pm
Strange how far simple reading comprehension and following instructions can get you.
That, plus some furious mashing of the "Preview" button, will generate a fair amount of apparent competence.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:55 pm

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:15 pm
Konveyor Belt wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:39 pm
Strange how far simple reading comprehension and following instructions can get you.
That, plus some furious mashing of the "Preview" button, will generate a fair amount of apparent competence.
“This side toward enemy”

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:35 am

In a bit of a reversal of usual trends, it's gone from 66.6% (38/19) early on to 75% (96/32) now. Far more common for the ratio to decrease than increase, so it's interesting to see a counterexample (if for one day at least).

Scorpions13256
Now living on a nice farm upstate
Wikipedia User: Scorpions13256

Unread post by Scorpions13256 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 am

I have moved to support. I had a feeling he was editing as an IP, but I needed to hear him say it to feel safe.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:46 am

I guess I'd vote for him, if I had an account. Seems like a decent guy, doesn't cause trouble, and knows as much about long-term food preservation as anyone on the website.

They'd be fools not to vote him in! :)

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 am

Some of the opposition, such as the edit-warring and stonewalling at Ariel Fernandez (T-H-L) is reasonable. However, most of it is plain daft.

Scorpions13256

Unread post by Scorpions13256 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:20 pm

In the past few hours, it seems that there are as many new opposes as there are supporters.

Edit: Nevermind. Two people supported SFR in the 5 minutes before I posted.

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:06 am

In over 24 hours it's gone from 75.0% to 74.7%, with the three-to-one support ratio being almost exactly preserved through more than 50 new votes.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:11 pm

I should have kept a journal of all of the ways my wife has made fun of me and shown disdain for the whole RFA business. The Scottish Finnish Bitch thing has become a permanent staple of her interactions with me, as has telling me to answer for my crimes. Leave a glass in the sink instead of putting it in the dish washer? "Hey, Scottish Finnish Bitch, get over here and answer for your crimes."
At first she thought the idea of bureaucrats was funny, because we had just watched the episode of Futurama where Hermes gets sent in a paid vacation because Bender ruined all his records, and they all had to go to the central bureaucracy to get him his job back. Now she keeps telling me that I'm going to have to appear before the council of elders for my reckoning because I'm not good enough.
There's also the constant, "so they're not going to pay you?" "You're going through all this to do more work for free? You're dumb"
If anyone ever needs someone to remind them that Wikipedia editing is a lame and unimpressive hobby, let me know and I'll put you in contact with her.

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:53 pm

It does seem very likely that we’ll be seeing a second cratchat in a year with this nomination after two years without. 73.0% now with 28h to go.

SerkaVerduchka
Contributor

Unread post by SerkaVerduchka » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:28 pm

I never expected to see so much "Oppose: not enough of a slow learner" on an RfA, but here we are

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:13 am

Arishok wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:53 pm
It does seem very likely that we’ll be seeing a second cratchat in a year with this nomination after two years without. 73.0% now with 28h to go.
xlation: “If you don’t make it, blame RexxS.”

Scorpions13256

Unread post by Scorpions13256 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:03 pm

It looks like there is going to be a crat chat. I think it'll pass.

Emptyeye
Critic
Wikipedia User: Emptyeye2112

Unread post by Emptyeye » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:25 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:13 am
I think this is a bit of a different situation than that. For all the opposes of "SFR is a likely sock of someone and is simultaneously too competent and not experienced enough", have there been a lot that imply they would actually be a bad admin if given the bit? Because I remember a good amount of opposes along the "Doesn't have the right attitude for an admin" lines in Rexx's RfA. Heck, even some of the supports were like "I see the warning signs but I'm confident he'll moderate his approach if he's made an admin." from my memory.

ArmasRebane
Habitué

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Emptyeye wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:25 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
I think this is a bit of a different situation than that. For all the opposes of "SFR is a likely sock of someone and is simultaneously too competent and not experienced enough", have there been a lot that imply they would actually be a bad admin if given the bit? Because I remember a good amount of opposes along the "Doesn't have the right attitude for an admin" lines in Rexx's RfA. Heck, even some of the supports were like "I see the warning signs but I'm confident he'll moderate his approach if he's made an admin." from my memory.
Yeah even if it's discretionary range I feel like the character of the opposes are very different. They're not the same situation in the slightest.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:38 pm
Emptyeye wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:25 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Yeah even if it's discretionary range I feel like the character of the opposes are very different. They're not the same situation in the slightest.
Just because they are not the same sort of situation doesn’t mean that they couldn’t lead to a particular response. It is a Bad Thing to go up before Arbcom, (or even ANI, during one of those times when there’s a group of the usual suspects acting almost like a standing grand jury) right after any complicated mess. The tendency is to slam the next poor bastard with a simple case.

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:00 pm

I think the four consecutive promotions from cratchats prior to this one could feasibly (even if not reasonably) weigh against promotion, especially if the % drops beyond 71 in the next few hours (which is very possible as there are often a few last-minute opposes in close cases for whatever reason).

On another note, the "noooooobody here ever accused SFR of socking, we did no such thing, we just Had Concerns" line that some have taken after seeing the reactions to their mud-slinging is either delusional revisionist history or flat-out BS. They knew exactly what they were saying and how it'd be taken, whether or not they may have convinced themselves otherwise later on.

Ansh666
Critic
Wikipedia User: Ansh666

Unread post by Ansh666 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:29 pm

Arishok wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:00 pm
On another note, the "noooooobody here ever accused SFR of socking, we did no such thing, we just Had Concerns" line that some have taken after seeing the reactions to their mud-slinging is either delusional revisionist history or flat-out BS. They knew exactly what they were saying and how it'd be taken, whether or not they may have convinced themselves otherwise later on.
Yeah, pointing out the Eostrix RfA as a reason for being suspicious and then saying "oh but we never said he was a sock!", as if it wasn't obvious to everyone...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Ansh666 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:29 pm
Arishok wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:00 pm
Yeah, pointing out the Eostrix RfA as a reason for being suspicious and then saying "oh but we never said he was a sock!", as if it wasn't obvious to everyone...
You might be underestimating certain wikipediots capacity for unconscious duckspeak.

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 pm

The rule that an RfX runs for 168h “plus whenever a crat gets around to locking it” is stupid IMO. I can’t think of one good reason why a borderline candidate should have to wait on pins and needles for in this case probably over an hour so far *solely* because no crat is around or cares.

(It's another thing entirely if a crat makes an active decision to lengthen the RfX; I just dislike the default rule where the discussion continues if no crat takes any action).

Scorpions13256

Unread post by Scorpions13256 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:07 am

It has finally been closed.

Fender
Contributor
Actual Name: Katie

Unread post by Fender » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 am

Looks like it's now in crat chat territory. Let's hope the crafts do due diligence in terms of evaluation.

Catfish Jim & spd
Critic
Wikipedia User: Catfish Jim and the soapdish

Unread post by Catfish Jim & spd » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:56 am

ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:11 pm
I should have kept a journal of all of the ways my wife has made fun of me and shown disdain for the whole RFA business. The Scottish Finnish Bitch thing has become a permanent staple of her interactions with me, as has telling me to answer for my crimes. Leave a glass in the sink instead of putting it in the dish washer? "Hey, Scottish Finnish Bitch, get over here and answer for your crimes."
At first she thought the idea of bureaucrats was funny, because we had just watched the episode of Futurama where Hermes gets sent in a paid vacation because Bender ruined all his records, and they all had to go to the central bureaucracy to get him his job back. Now she keeps telling me that I'm going to have to appear before the council of elders for my reckoning because I'm not good enough.
There's also the constant, "so they're not going to pay you?" "You're going through all this to do more work for free? You're dumb"
If anyone ever needs someone to remind them that Wikipedia editing is a lame and unimpressive hobby, let me know and I'll put you in contact with her.
I had much the same when I ran my RfA. I wasn't convinced at that time by the notion that "RfA is broken", but It really has devolved into an appalling process to recruit volunteers over the last decade.

Provost
Muted
Actual Name: Erica

Unread post by Provost » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Catfish Jim & spd wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:56 am
ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:11 pm
I had much the same when I ran my RfA. I wasn't convinced at that time by the notion that "RfA is broken", but It really has devolved into an appalling process to recruit volunteers over the last decade.
And what would you expect from an organization that allows volunteers to be flogged by other volunteers at ANI?

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 pm

Provost wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:37 pm
And what would you expect from an organization that allows volunteers to be flogged by other volunteers at ANI?
And, yet, ScottishFinnishRadish decided to do an RFA anyway. I think they will be a reasonable admin, which is why I voted against them. Twice, Once for me, and once for the rabbits, may they rest in peace.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:28 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 pm
Provost wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:37 pm
And, yet, ScottishFinnishRadish decided to do an RFA anyway. I think they will be a reasonable admin, which is why I voted against them. Twice, Once for me, and once for the rabbits, may they rest in peace.
I have two more litters coming in the next few days!

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:47 pm

Over at Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/ScottishFinnishRadish/Bureaucrat_chat (T-H-L) currently 3 support votes (Primefac, Worm That Turned, Lee Vilenski), two oppose (Dweller, SilkTork), and 6 pending (28bytes, Acalamari , Xaosflux, Nihonjoe, WereSpielChequers, Cecropia)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:10 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:47 pm
Over at Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/ScottishFinnishRadish/Bureaucrat_chat (T-H-L) currently 3 support votes (Primefac, Worm That Turned, Lee Vilenski), two oppose (Dweller, SilkTork), and 6 pending (28bytes, Acalamari , Xaosflux, Nihonjoe, WereSpielChequers, Cecropia)
Update
  • Consensus to promote: Primefac, Worm That Turned, Lee Vilenski, AmandaNP, UninvitedCompany, Acalamari, 28bytes
  • No consensus to promote: Dweller, SilkTork, Warofdreams, Xaosflux
  • Intend to Respond: Nihonjoe, WereSpielChequers, Cecropia, Maxim
:popcorn:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

arthur
Contributor

Unread post by arthur » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 am

If the crats are supposed to be the best there is at judging consensus, shouldn't they be unanimous?

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:14 pm

It’s interesting to me that the discussion includes its first baldfaced Big Lie (T-H-L) so early on: “ the direction the community has given us to expand the discretionary range downwards to 65% in order to compensate for the added scrutiny modern candidacies receive,”

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:44 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:14 pm
It’s interesting to me that the discussion includes its first baldfaced Big Lie (T-H-L) so early on: “ the direction the community has given us to expand the discretionary range downwards to 65% in order to compensate for the added scrutiny modern candidacies receive,”
Please do explain what is wrong about that statement, in your opinion.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:40 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:44 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:14 pm
Please do explain what is wrong about that statement, in your opinion.
If you think that blindingly, obviously wrong, it should be very straightforward for you to cite some RfCs, discussions, and so forth that support it. Their was community support, in those senses, for 75%, yes. The Rexxs fiasco had many comments regarding the wisdom of going below that. (And, of course, the Eostrix (T-C-L) fisco shows the wisdom of sometimes going above it.)

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:52 pm

I assume it's merely a reference to this RFC from 2015:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ange_to_65%

in which, by consensus, the RfA discretionary range was expanded from the previous 70-75% to 65-75%. I do agree that the highly unfortunate way RexxS's adminship turned out in the end has realistically made it extremely unlikely that a promotion at under 65% would be seriously considered by the crats again, at least not without another community RfC changing the range, but of course RexxS was below even the 65% cutoff, being at 64.1%.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Arishok wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:52 pm

in which, by consensus, the RfA discretionary range was expanded from the previous 70-75% to 65-75%. I do agree that the highly unfortunate way RexxS's adminship turned out in the end has realistically made it extremely unlikely that a promotion at under 65% would be seriously considered by the crats again, at least not without another community RfC changing the range, but of course RexxS was below even the 65% cutoff, being at 64.1%.
Yes. Evaluating the strengths of the yeas and the nays at that RfC would, in any other context than a bunch of desperate overworked admins reaching at straws, have come down as “no consensus;” a look at the participants hardly suggests wide community oversight. If you mean “community support” as Wiki Newspeak would have it, perhaps yes then, but hardly for actual fucking English.

Provost
Muted

Unread post by Provost » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm

I think it is wrong to promote someone with the track record of this candidate. We should not be handing out the tools to such candidates.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Provost wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm
I think it is wrong to promote someone with the track record of this candidate. We should not be handing out the tools to such candidates.
While I agree that it is wrong to give him authority there, I suspect I see this from an entirely different viewpoint. After a certain amount of time, and, God forgive me, money (in earlier days), I have been bludgeoned into the realization that WMFlandia is broken beyond feasible repair, and promoting decent, intelligent folk to adminship is putting off not only the inevitable, but the needful.

I’ve seen nothing in this fellow’s “track record” that suggests to me he wouldn’t fit in at the better end of the scale among the existing admins, and be in the 85th %ile of that end of the more active admin spectrum.

Provost
Muted

Unread post by Provost » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:16 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:39 pm
Provost wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm
While I agree that it is wrong to give him authority there, I suspect I see this from an entirely different viewpoint. After a certain amount of time, and, God forgive me, money (in earlier days), I have been bludgeoned into the realization that WMFlandia is broken beyond feasible repair, and promoting decent, intelligent folk to adminship is putting off not only the inevitable, but the needful.

I’ve seen nothing in this fellow’s “track record” that suggests to me he wouldn’t fit in at the better end of the scale among the existing admins, and be in the 85th %ile of that end of the more active admin spectrum.
Right. As it is the admins are at completely different levels of competency. Imagine they are NFL refs all operating with wildly different ideas about penalties. Shit show comes to mind.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:10 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:47 pm
Update
  • Consensus to promote: Primefac, Worm That Turned, Lee Vilenski, AmandaNP, UninvitedCompany, Acalamari, 28bytes
  • No consensus to promote: Dweller, SilkTork, Warofdreams, Xaosflux
  • Intend to Respond: Nihonjoe, WereSpielChequers, Cecropia, Maxim
:popcorn:
Speaking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... s/Cecropia

Someone needs to get their activity levels increased before January...

Ansh666
Critic

Unread post by Ansh666 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm

el84 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm
Speaking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... s/Cecropia

Someone needs to get their activity levels increased before January...
hm...
The only other crat chat he took part in was GoldenRing, 2017. There, he noted that the discretionary range was recently moved down to 65-75%. Five years later, he seems to be expressing astonishment that the numbers have dropped so much. Slightly strange, but he's getting pretty old, so I guess it makes sense? dunno.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Arishok wrote:

in which, by consensus, the RfA discretionary range was expanded from the previous 70-75% to 65-75%.
Correct.

Ansh666
Critic

Unread post by Ansh666 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:53 pm

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:08 pm
Arishok wrote:

in which, by consensus, the RfA discretionary range was expanded from the previous 70-75% to 65-75%.
Correct.
Do you see any consensus whatsoever there? In normal speech, consensus is a shared opinion, one which all agree with or tolerate (except perhaps for those who are literally mad). What you see there a vote, plain and simple, and one in which a substantial minority strenuously disagree.

It’s also a vote buried deep in the bowels of a garrulous bureaucracy. The idea that the average working “editor” at wikipedia was involved is ludicrous.
Last edited by The Blue Newt on Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm

Ansh666 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:53 pm
oh my god :rotfl:
:facepalm:

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:57 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm
Mason wrote:
Arishok wrote:

Correct.
Do you see any consensus whatsoever there? In normal speech, consensus is a shared opinion, one which all agree with or tolerate (except perhaps for those who are literally mad). What you see there a vote, plain and simple, and one in which a substantial minority strenuously disagree.

It’s also a vote buried deep in the bowels of a garrulous bureaucracy. The idea that the average working “editor” at wikipedia was involved is ludicrous.
“Consensus” and “community” are but two examples of terms that mean very different things in Wikipedia discussions than they do in real life.

Outside of Wikipedia (i.e. “in normal speech”) one generally doesn’t associate “consensus” with numerical cutoffs.

Ansh666
Critic

Unread post by Ansh666 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Ansh666 wrote:
To be fair, the explanation makes sense (especially when using a more "normal" definition of consensus), and I'm all for flouting pointless bureaucracy within Wikipedia, but this was frankly just hilarious.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:13 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:57 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm
Mason wrote:
Arishok wrote:

Correct.

“Consensus” and “community” are but two examples of terms that mean very different things in Wikipedia discussions than they do in real life.

Outside of Wikipedia (i.e. “in normal speech”) one generally doesn’t associate “consensus” with numerical cutoffs.
Yepper. That was kinda my point. Wikipedia has evolved a seperate dialect of English. I suspect Orwell could suggest some reasons for that.

Out in real life here I hope that, while we might discuss Wikipedia, we need not have “Wikipedia discussions.” All of that ideoglossia should be put in scare quotes or italics or something, lest we start believing things which are not.

Arishok
Regular

Unread post by Arishok » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Cullen has opined on the talk page that Cecropia should hand in the admin and crat bits. Oof.

EDIT: The cratchat and RfA have been closed as successful, though it looks like Xaosflux linked Tamzin's RfA at the top instead of SFR's by mistake. EDIT2: already fixed.

Congrats, SFR.
Last edited by Arishok on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ansh666
Critic

Unread post by Ansh666 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:53 pm

Well, it's been closed, congratulations (or perhaps condolences) to the multinational root vegetable.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:11 pm

Ansh666 wrote:
:picard:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Like I said, there can be only one! I'm taking your RFA as spoils from our chess game. ScottishFinnishRadish (talk) 22:02, 21 September 2022 (UTC)
Unexpected Highlander quote!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.