Discussions on Wikimedia governance
rhinoroars
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: Park Young Sam

"Outing" of Editors: Which site...?

Unread post by rhinoroars » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 am

Outing of editors
I have just become aware of an off-wiki group which is publishing online the identities and other personal details of Wikipedia editors whose they perceive political differences with. I do want to link to the website here as it includes the personal details. Please could you let me know what I should do about this? Onceinawhile (T-C-L) (talk) 10:15, 1 February 2020 (UTC)

Are the published details correct? I ask because I have been outed twice by people who didn't like my attitude to their political POV pushing, and in both cases the personal details published were completely wrong. HiLo48 (T-C-L) (talk) 10:59, 1 February 2020 (UTC)
@Onceinawhile: I take it you mean I do not want to link to the website :) Look, if it's Wikipediocracy or that other one with even more nutters on it, then forget about it, there's bugger all, I think it's fair to say, that anyone can do about it. ——SN54129 (T-C-L)11:04, 1 February 2020 (UTC)
I suspect this is something that we and others behind the scenes are already aware of. In any case, in such cases you can email the functionaries mailing list, or Arbcom, or if you like, any individual therein including me personally. What you shouldn't do is post about it here. As SN54129 says, there's a limit to what we can do about nutters on the Internet, however ensuring someone is aware can often be a good thing. -- zzuuzz (T-C-L) (talk) 11:19, 1 February 2020 (UTC)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Outing of Editors which site ?

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:08 pm

or that other one with even more nutters on it
lol
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:08 pm
lol
Of course, there are only about 15 people total who post at Sucks. A couple of them count quadrupally, I reckon.

RfB

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm
Vigilant wrote:
lol
Of course, there are only about 15 people total who post at Sucks. A couple of them count quadrupally, I reckon.

RfB
On the handful of occasions I have glanced at Sucks, I have felt my IQ dropping. As I suggested on-wiki just now, a certain Mr Nest tried to "doxx" me and got all the basic facts completely wrong.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm
Vigilant wrote:
lol

RfB
On the handful of occasions I have glanced at Sucks, I have felt my IQ dropping. As I suggested on-wiki just now, a certain Mr Nest tried to "doxx" me and got all the basic facts completely wrong.
Mr. Nest is down the road because of a righteous aversion to the insufferable Abd and the dunces that gave him the car keys... The biggest and dumbest troll in their word factory, Graaf von Tinfoil, got tossed. Now it's pretty much Abd dumping 2,000 word posts on his own head and putting up the bat light for Eric Corbett to join him (true fact).

RfB

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm
Mr. Nest is down the road because of a righteous aversion to the insufferable Abd and the dunces that gave him the car keys... The biggest and dumbest troll in their word factory, Graaf von Tinfoil, got tossed. Now it's pretty much Abd dumping 2,000 word posts on his own head and putting up the bat light for Eric Corbett to join him (true fact).

RfB
Me join Sucks? That'll be a cold day in hell.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Mr. Onceinawhile clearly isn't referring to us, since this is the first time anyone here has even mentioned him. Most likely this has something to do with the so-called "Israel Group," a website that sent out some splashy press releases a few months ago vowing that their "Battle Against Wikipedia" would begin in January 2020, with an initial blog entry that putatively identified five allegedly anti-Israel WP users. Since then there's been nothing further from this group whatsoever, and assuming this continues, it's probably safe to say that it's probably a donations scam.

I don't get the impression that Mr. Onceinawhile is particularly anti-Israel himself, but it doesn't take much with these folks.

As for Wikipediocracy, most people who actually read the site know that our supposed reputation for identifying Wikipedians (the not-so-creepy ones, at least) has been grossly exaggerated.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:17 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:00 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm
Mr. Nest is down the road because of a righteous aversion to the insufferable Abd and the dunces that gave him the car keys... The biggest and dumbest troll in their word factory, Graaf von Tinfoil, got tossed. Now it's pretty much Abd dumping 2,000 word posts on his own head and putting up the bat light for Eric Corbett to join him (true fact). {{citation needed|date=Feb 2020}}

RfB
Me join Sucks? That'll be a cold day in hell.
Oh go on, why not? You don't want Vigilant to be the only one covering himself in glorious Entertainment Value glory all the time, do you?
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:24 pm
Mr. Onceinawhile clearly isn't referring to us, since this is the first time anyone here has even mentioned him. Most likely this has something to do with the so-called "Israel Group," a website that sent out some splashy press releases a few months ago vowing that their "Battle Against Wikipedia" would begin in January 2020, with an initial blog entry that putatively identified five allegedly anti-Israel WP users. Since then there's been nothing further from this group whatsoever, and assuming this continues, it's probably safe to say that it's probably a donations scam.

I don't get the impression that Mr. Onceinawhile is particularly anti-Israel himself, but it doesn't take much with these folks.

As for Wikipediocracy, most people who actually read the site know that our supposed reputation for identifying Wikipedians (the not-so-creepy ones, at least) has been grossly exaggerated.
I queried Onceinawhile specifically about whether he was talking about WPO, just to get on the record, on-Wiki, that he was not. He was not. Agreed that this is an Israeli content-warriors thing.

RfB

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 pm

I wonder if this Israeli group will return. :dubious:
Globally banned after 7 years.