New Partial block model policy

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

New Partial block model policy

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:27 pm

There is now a model policy for this new power. It "is an example of a policy that can be customized for use on local language wikis, and is not a global policy".

Meta
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Re: New Partial block model policy

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Not humiliating enough for the administrators' liking I suspect, but I stopped reading at "Partial block, like full site block, is a tool to protect the wiki". Yeah, right.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:27 pm
There is now a model policy for this new power. It "is an example of a policy that can be customized for use on local language wikis, and is not a global policy".

Meta
This is actually pretty important, if it works: a tool for making real topic bans.

RfB

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:28 pm
Poetlister wrote:

Meta
This is actually pretty important, if it works: a tool for making real topic bans.

RfB
A better tool would be one that stopped administrators making any kind of block.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:28 pm
Poetlister wrote:

Meta
Indeed.
Partial blocks are necessary to constrain (sanction) the occasional slip-ups of beneficial editors (eg. on a page where they edit-war or pov-push), in cases where a site-wide block is unnecessarily punishing.
The lack of partial blocks is a major reason why admins do their best to avoid sanctioning established editors, thereby creating the caste of "unblockables" and a community culture where preferential treatment is so prominent.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Osborne wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:58 pm
The lack of partial blocks is a major reason why admins do their best to avoid sanctioning established editors, thereby creating the caste of "unblockables" and a community culture where preferential treatment is so prominent.
This "unblockable" meme is complete tosh. How many "unblockables" can you name who haven't been blocked?

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:27 pm

"work environment"

Error. I would not relate editing Wikipedia with any work environment, whether physical or virtual.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 pm
This "unblockable" meme is complete tosh. How many "unblockables" can you name who haven't been blocked?
As I suspect you're aware, in actual WP practice the term refers more (if not exclusively) to users who have been blocked, even just for short periods, only to have those blocks reversed almost immediately by admins of the Bishonen/Geogre/Floquenbeam variety. Except that in the past year or so, those blocks haven't been reversed (the most obvious examples being Mr. Cassianto and yourself).

By that interpretation, the "partial blocks" feature could theoretically be used as a way to keep such people on-side, and away from those horrible criticism sites where they say nasty things about the poor innocent Wikipedians.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm

There are people who surely should have had blocks but yet have a clean block log. But of course they're nearly all admins themselves.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
As I suspect you're aware, in actual WP practice the term refers more (if not exclusively) to users who have been blocked, even just for short periods, only to have those blocks reversed almost immediately by admins of the Bishonen/Geogre/Floquenbeam variety. Except that in the past year or so, those blocks haven't been reversed (the most obvious examples being Mr. Cassianto and yourself).

By that interpretation, the "partial blocks" feature could theoretically be used as a way to keep such people on-side, and away from those horrible criticism sites where they say nasty things about the poor innocent Wikipedians.
That doesn't equate to "unblockable", no matter how much you squirm.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm
There are people who surely should have had blocks but yet have a clean block log. But of course they're nearly all admins themselves.
The only real "unblockables" are the administrators.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 pm
"Effectively Un-full-duration-blockable" just doesn't have the same ring to it, I guess.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:31 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 pm
The only real "unblockables" are the administrators.
I most certainly implied admins in "unblockables", even though Bbrox's definition somehow ignores them, overlooking the fact that they are a major part of that population...
In defense of that definition: in this context the more technically proper terms for admins would be "unaccountable" and "unsanctionable", as the necessary response to administrator tool/power abuse is not blocking, but instead constraining the actions they can do, or in repeated/extreme cases by removing their tools entirely.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Osborne wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:58 pm
They're like Nixon.
Everything is fine until it's not.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 pm
You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that words in "Wiki-politics" mean the same as words in real life. This is patently untrue, especially for words starting with WP: and written in ALL CAPS

Arbitrators don't arbitrate. Administrators barely administrate. "COMPETENCE" has no relation to competence, NOTHERE means "annoys too many people" and we all know how insane the wiki understanding of CIVILITY is.

Unblockable in Wikipedia means someone who is significantly ingrained into Wikipedia, such that people struggle to see the encyclopedia without them. Generally, that means administrators, but also many of the top content contributors fit that bill.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 am

turnedworm wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 am
Unblockable in Wikipedia means someone who is significantly ingrained into Wikipedia, such that people struggle to see the encyclopedia without them.
I dunno... I'd actually tend to go more with Mr. Beeblebrox's definition (if not my own), if only because lots of WP users seem to have absolutely no problem at all envisioning the site without them.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 am
turnedworm wrote:
Unblockable in Wikipedia means someone who is significantly ingrained into Wikipedia, such that people struggle to see the encyclopedia without them.
I dunno... I'd actually tend to go more with Mr. Beeblebrox's definition (if not my own), if only because lots of WP users seem to have absolutely no problem at all envisioning the site without them.
My thoughts exactly.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm

turnedworm wrote:
You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that words in "Wiki-politics" mean the same as words in real life. This is patently untrue, especially for words starting with WP: and written in ALL CAPS

Arbitrators don't arbitrate. Administrators barely administrate. "COMPETENCE" has no relation to competence, NOTHERE means "annoys too many people" and we all know how insane the wiki understanding of CIVILITY is.
It's good to have official confirmation of the fact that Wikispeak is not the same as English, especially regarding the word "civility"! Maybe we need a WP with the articles written in Wikispeak. :B'

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm
turnedworm wrote:

It's good to have official confirmation of the fact that Wikispeak is not the same as English, especially regarding the word "civility"! Maybe we need a WP with the articles written in Wikispeak. :B'
I've long pointed out contradictions between Wiki-speak and reality. In fact, I think I wrote an essay on it... Ah yes, here it is - Pretty sure it's been mentioned here before.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:39 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm
I've long pointed out contradictions between Wiki-speak and reality. In fact, I think I wrote an essay on it... Ah yes, here it is - Pretty sure it's been mentioned here before.
In communication with me Edwin Black expressed particular offense at the Wikispeak definition of "Spamming," which he thought was borderline libelous and had no rational connection to inserting links to one's own work.

RfB

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:41 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
turnedworm wrote:

:like:
Would be nice to see the missing definitions of WP:NOTHERE (T-H-L), WP:BOOMERANG (T-H-L), WP:ATTACK (T-H-L) (in context of reports, not blp), WP:BLUDGEON (T-H-L), WP:CONSENSUS (T-H-L), WP:!VOTE (T-H-L), etc...

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
turnedworm wrote:

Thanks. I note the definition ""Vandalism" is defined as any edit which intentionally harms the encyclopedia. In other words, it encompasses malicious blanking of pages, replacing names with obscenities and writing the words "JohnBoy is Ghey" across the top of an article." I have seen it also used to mean inserting deliberately false or misleading information, which of course also intentionally harms the encyclopedia, but isnt vandalism in the normal meaning of the word.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:59 am

Poetlister wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 pm
turnedworm wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
turnedworm wrote:

Thanks. I note the definition ""Vandalism" is defined as any edit which intentionally harms the encyclopedia. In other words, it encompasses malicious blanking of pages, replacing names with obscenities and writing the words "JohnBoy is Ghey" across the top of an article." I have seen it also used to mean inserting deliberately false or misleading information, which of course also intentionally harms the encyclopedia, but isnt vandalism in the normal meaning of the word.
'Vandalism' in Wikispeak often means 'reverting my contributions.'

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:59 am
Here's a good example of the sort of mindless vandalism that administrators carry out every day, without sanction.

link

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Zoloft wrote:
Here's a good example of the sort of mindless vandalism that administrators carry out every day, without sanction.

link
He reverted two significant additions, which may have supplied useful information, and two corrections of typos, which were certainly good edits.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:10 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Zoloft wrote:

link
No SPI? How did they catch it?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:46 am

Mz7 started the RfC for enabling partial blocks on enwiki.

TonyBallioni wasted no time before sharing his distrust towards administrators that they could use this tool appropriately.
TB wrote: [Partial blocks] is a way to expand the scope of the limited mandate of admins far beyond what discretionary sanctions are.
So the ability to indef an editor site-wide is a limited mandate and blocking just on a few articles is an expansion of it? Makes sense /sarc.
TB wrote: Topic bans actually couldn't be enforced via this since category blocks are not under discussion
Topic bans CAN be enforced by listing the articles deemed to be part of a particular topic. If there are many articles in a topic... hope someone else will do the blocking. :XD
Category blocks are not implemented yet, so that's not an option.
TB wrote: [category blocks would] likely be opposed since it would effectively give non-admins the right to block just by adding a category.
I'd have to find the thread, but at one point I believe even the WMF team working on this said that it would not be useful for topic ban enforcement for a variety of reasons.
Editors could extend a block by adding an article to a blocked category. Extending a block is a restriction, but not comparable to the significance of blocking. That's a gross misinterpretation.
If an editor would add a category to an article - that does not belong to said category -, to restrict the editing of another category-blocked editor, that would be gaming the system, thus sanctionable. That kind of abuse would be marginal. Opposing category-blocks with this speculative reasoning would throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:33 pm

And it continues.
TB wrote:Yes, because giving admins the unmitigated ability to ban people from pages without any practical means of review is somehow a good thing... TonyBallioni (talk) 13:39, 12 December 2019 (UTC)
An unblock request is not practical enough?
I don't understand him. He was a very reasonable person a few months ago. Is his account compromised? Did Jechochman gain control of it? This nonsense sounds like that.
Not to say that he implies an admin cannot indef an editor site-wide "without any practical means of review". Evidence shows that high-ranking admins can and do.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 pm

A good partial block would be block people from editing wikipedia space for a while. Basically a "shut up and edit" decree.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:11 pm

rhindle wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 pm
A good partial block would be block people from editing wikipedia space for a while. Basically a "shut up and edit" decree.
:like: Indeed, we can probably identify a few people whose permanent block on Wikipedia space would significantly improve matters. But we must not reduce Drama God.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Osborne wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:33 pm
And it continues.
TB wrote:Yes, because giving admins the unmitigated ability to ban people from pages without any practical means of review is somehow a good thing... TonyBallioni (talk) 13:39, 12 December 2019 (UTC)
An unblock request is not practical enough?
I don't understand him. He was a very reasonable person a few months ago. Is his account compromised? Did Jechochman gain control of it? This nonsense sounds like that.
Not to say that he implies an admin cannot indef an editor site-wide "without any practical means of review". Evidence shows that high-ranking admins can and do.
He bans/blocks people all the time. What's the difference?

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:15 am

To me, the magic words are "model policy." I raised the need for using model policies rather than a binding uniform policy in terms of the standards of conduct (a topic that is much debated in the 2030 Strategic Review.)

Once the idea of "model policy" has been accepted, much of the argument in the 2030 Strategic Review (and in Framgate) falls apart. Judging by the post-it note photographs from the "harmonization sprint" in Tunis, the uniform standard of conduct is still alive, so please be mindful of this "leap in logic"/"power grab".

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm

The two last projects, English wp and Commons has also established consensus on enabling partial blocks. The previous pattern of about 2/3 support or a bit more can be exhibited on these projects as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ial_blocks
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Comm ... ng_Comment

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm

I proposed this feature ages ago. Ironically, the case study I would have used it for is something like this : "Sandstein, you site-wide blocked Eric Corbett for a month when he was only berating a user for edit warring and adding unsourced content on Donner Party. What was wrong with just blocking him on that? Stop it."

(And doubly ironically, longtime editor Johnbod (T-C-L) has just fallen foul of the Sandsteinhammer yesterday for saying "what the fuck" once).

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm
I proposed this feature ages ago. Ironically, the case study I would have used it for is something like this : "Sandstein, you site-wide blocked Eric Corbett for a month when he was only berating a user for edit warring and adding unsourced content on Donner Party. What was wrong with just blocking him on that? Stop it."

(And doubly ironically, longtime editor Johnbod (T-C-L) has just fallen foul of the Sandsteinhammer yesterday for saying "what the fuck" once).
Sandstein has been completely out of control for some time now.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Only "Fuck you" was deemed acceptable by a recent ruling. He should have known better... /sarc.
Is Sandstein the next non-voluntary guest at ArbCom?
23:26, 13 January 2020 RexxS talk contribs unblocked Johnbod talk contribs (Poses no danger to the wiki.)
20:11, 13 January 2020 Sandstein talk contribs blocked Johnbod talk contribs with an expiration time of 24 hours (account creation blocked) (Personal attacks or violations of the harassment policy: see https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... tus_throne)
That's just a one day block though. No one will mind it.

EDIT: Closer review. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... tus_throne
Because your conduct was substantially more disruptive than Evrik's, I'm blocking you for 24 hours or until you commit not to conduct yourself uncivilly towards others (in which case any admin will unblock you on request). That should be all, I think. Sandstein 20:10, 13 January 2020 (UTC)
That's an appropriate approach to calm down emotions. In my opinion, blocks should be used exactly in this manner.
Last edited by Osborne on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm surprised to see TonyBallioni's opposition to this, and the proclamation that he has turned the feature off. If he gets dragged to ANI because multiple editors think a sitewide block was excessive over a partial one, he'll be in trouble.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm
I'm surprised to see TonyBallioni's opposition to this, and the proclamation that he has turned the feature off. If he gets dragged to ANI because multiple editors think a sitewide block was excessive over a partial one, he'll be in trouble.
By "in trouble" you presumably mean a very mild slap on the wrist?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anti ... ial_blocks
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?di ... out_script

The lack of partial blocks is a major reason for the existence of the class of unblockables and the use of blocks as a threat to sway discussions and opinions. The opposition to the overwhelming community consensus to use partial blocks highlights some administrators who don't seem to understand that blocks serve to protect the encyclopedia from damage, not to punish editors. In fact, the latter is a policy violation, albeit often practiced. Who prefer that practice, now has an option to remove partial blocks from their tool interface.

Is there a way to tell the community more loudly that "If I have a problem with an editor, I will assume bad faith and block them from the entire project."? Worth mentioning that includes the boards where said editor would have a chance to appeal (unblock requests are not). This is probably a significant motivation behind TonyBallioni's opposition to partial blocks, as he routinely rejects and suppresses appeals from blocked editors and other helpful editors, who don't think that editor's block is fully justified or necessary.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Can you give just one example of a member of your "class of unblockables" who doesn't have a block log?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 pm
Can you give just one example of a member of your "class of unblockables" who doesn't have a block log?
offtopic, PMd

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 pm

Osborne wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
offtopic, PMd
And we've been over it already, on this same page of this same thread. :deadhorse:

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 pm
Osborne wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
offtopic, PMd
And we've been over it already, on this same page of this same thread. :deadhorse:
The answer is "No" then, so why keep banging on with this unblockables myth?

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
TonyBallioni (T-C-L) ?

And, to be fair, it's more a matter of whether they stay blocked for a significant period.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
TonyBallioni (T-C-L) ?

And, to be fair, it's more a matter of whether they stay blocked for a significant period.
I think it goes without saying that administrators make up the vast bulk of these mythical "unblockables". And as it's so difficult to get rid of them, what WP is in far more need of is a mechanism to restrict administrators from using certain tools, such as blocking in Sandstein's case.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm
The answer is "No" then, so why keep banging on with this unblockables myth?
You're looking at this bass-ackwards, Mr. Corbett...

How else would we know these people are "unblockable" unless someone tries to block them? And don't tell us that all blocks placed on established users are "discussed" first to obtain "consensus" on them — that's obviously not true. And like I already said, they're not going to start using the term "effectively un-full-duration-blockable" just to be nice, or less nice as the case may be.

Anyway, don't worry folks, if he keeps up with this line of argument I'll split the thread, at the very least. :hrmph:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 am

I prefer the term ‘WikiZombies’ anyway.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am
And as it's so difficult to get rid of them, what WP is in far more need of is a mechanism to restrict administrators from using certain tools, such as blocking in Sandstein's case.
What we need is to split up admin powers, so some people only have block/unblock, others have article protection or ability to bestow rollback and so on. Each needs a separate RfA. This would give hat collectors the chance to get six hats while acquiring full admin rights instead of only one hat, and those who treat Wikipedia as a spectator sport the opportunity to see far more RfAs.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 am
Anyway, don't worry folks, if he keeps up with this line of argument I'll split the thread, at the very least. :hrmph:
You ought to know by now that there is absolutely no point in attempting to threaten me with anything, it just doesn't work.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Eric: could you do your middle-finger flinging in a thread where it's not off-topic, please? Preferably PM? This forum is not for the purpose to satisfy your need for attention.
Poetlister wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm
What we need is to split up admin powers, so some people only have block/unblock, others have article protection or ability to bestow rollback and so on. Each needs a separate RfA. This would give hat collectors the chance to get six hats while acquiring full admin rights instead of only one hat, and those who treat Wikipedia as a spectator sport the opportunity to see far more RfAs.
That would be a start. Also, decision making on the dramaboards should require some previous training in mediation or arbitration. The WMF could put to actual use those donations by funding such trainings.