WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2019 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2019 Arbcom Election Time!

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am

Also note: Krakatoa Kate finished with the second-highest number of Yes votes, trailing only New York Brad, despite having served without valor or even merit on one of the most controversial Arbcoms of the last five years.

Let us never again miss this point: running for Arbcom as a woman is a big advantage, all other things being equal, not a big disadvantage.

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:49 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:17 am
Isarra isn't exactly a joke. I'm pretty sure if she got elected somehow she'd actually do it. Which would be an absolute riot, possibly literally.
If Isarra ran for Administrator, she'd pass.

If she then ran for Arbcom and won, she might then win in a big field like this year's. She runs joke candidacies. She is not a joke.

I was secretly hoping she'd (39.48%) edge out Kudpung (42.52%). Maybe next year...

RfB
Where's Jehochmann when you need him?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:55 am

Special congratulations are due to all those who broke the 50% support threshhold! :applause:

Newyorkbrad: 48%
Worm That Turned: 44%
KrakatoaKatie: 44%
Casliber: 42%
Xeno: 37%
Beeblebrox: 37%
DGG: 36%
SoWhy: 33%
Thryduulf: 31%
Average: 30%
Bradv: 30%
David Fuchs: 30%
Median Line
Maxim: 29%
Barkeep49: 29%
Gadfium: 28%
Llywrch: 26%
Kudpung: 24%
The Rambling Man: 23%
Hawkeye7: 23%
Isarra: 23%
Richwales: 21%
Enterprisey: 19%
Calidum: 12%

Check the math
Last edited by Bezdomni on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
los auberginos

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:14 am

Glad to see Xeno do well. Impressed to see SoWhy rank so high. Surprised to see DGG get in, though it looks like it was very close from DGG down to Llywrch, or am I mis-reading the percentages there (would failure to detect sockpuppet voting have made a difference for example)? Sad to not see Barkeep49 get in, but maybe next time.

Wonder if the 1-year-term people will try and make a big impact, or have a quiet year and run again for a 2-year term (the sensible strategy). And how will the new ArbCom gel together? I make it only about 3 newbies, so there is a danger that the new ArbCom will be mostly 12 'experienced' arbs squabbling about what to do first and how to do it...

Either that, or it will be a well-oiled machine that will be run exceedingly well by a small group of active arbs, and the rest will just nod, opine now and again, and occasionally do a bit of work.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:23 am

Carcharoth wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:14 am
Glad to see Xeno do well. Impressed to see SoWhy rank so high. Surprised to see DGG get in, though it looks like it was very close from DGG down to Llywrch, or am I mis-reading the percentages there (would failure to detect sockpuppet voting have made a difference for example)? Sad to not see Barkeep49 get in, but maybe next time.

Wonder if the 1-year-term people will try and make a big impact, or have a quiet year and run again for a 2-year term (the sensible strategy). And how will the new ArbCom gel together? I make it only about 3 newbies, so there is a danger that the new ArbCom will be mostly 12 'experienced' arbs squabbling about what to do first and how to do it...

Either that, or it will be a well-oiled machine that will be run exceedingly well by a small group of active arbs, and the rest will just nod, opine now and again, and occasionally do a bit of work.
Any committee with New York Brad is apt to be better than any committee without him.

t

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 am

I wonder what would happen if there were a revamp of the voting page, which included ranked choice for those candidates for whom voters voted. (It could be a high-tech drag-n-drop clearly labeled "Vote Order Matters!", or an endless series of low-tech drop-down boxes...)

Given that more !support votes are cast than support votes (by a rather wide margin I haven't calculated), I think this would allow a more accurate representation of the wikipediants' will.

Real ants cannot vote.

I've calculated. Overall, there should have been 25610 indifferent or oppose votes and 11196 support votes.

This is a ratio of more than π minus 1 to 1.

(2.3::1, actually, I'd miscalculated based on 21 candidates rather than 22)
los auberginos

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:17 am
Isarra isn't exactly a joke. I'm pretty sure if she got elected somehow she'd actually do it. Which would be an absolute riot, possibly literally.
Probably, but the voter guides I read considered it a joke candidacy. I think I voted for her.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am
Also note: Krakatoa Kate finished with the second-highest number of Yes votes, trailing only New York Brad, despite having served without valor or even merit on one of the most controversial Arbcoms of the last five years.

Let us never again miss this point: running for Arbcom as a woman is a big advantage, all other things being equal, not a big disadvantage.

RfB
I don't think anyone argued the point.

Also, the less women there are running, the bigger edge it is for the woman or women who do run.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Kudpung has acted like an old woman for 10 years, it hasn't done him any good.
Anyway, good to see he is in his deserved place - in amongst the no hope / joke candidates.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Between the 1695 valid votes mentioned on the foundation website ( § ), and the 1695 votes mentioned on the official 2019 CarBom emissions page, there is a discrepancy of 22 votes in EveryArb's results (1673 total votes counted), which exactly corresponds to the # of Arbs who ran (22). But, as we know, not all the candidates voted... I want to know whose votes weren't counted... :XD
los auberginos

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Anyway, good to see he is in his deserved place - in amongst the no hope / joke candidates.
In what way has this old man acted like an old woman? It seems to me he has acted like a crotchety old man...

A crotchety old man with delusions of grandeur, to be sure.

RfB

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:16 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
In what way has this old man acted like an old woman? It seems to me he has acted like a crotchety old man...

A crotchety old man with delusions of grandeur, to be sure.

RfB
Maybe this is a British / American thing. When a man acts or behaves in a certain manner against societal masculine norms we descibe him as acting "like an old woman".

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Kudpung has acted like an old woman for 10 years,
As an old woman: I strongly disagree with this statement :furious:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Re: Do Voters' Guides Actually Help?

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:32 pm

I thought I'd check my 11 recommendations against the winners to see if West German media can appreciably move East German vote tallies... Comparing my voters' guide recommendations to the result...
NewyorkBrad
Casliber
Worm That Turned
KrakatoaKatie
Xeno
SoWhy
Beeblebrox
David Fuchs
Maxim
DGG
Bradv
Strongest supports and strongest opposes in brights.

Katie was going to win barring her 11th hour revelation as a screen name for IRL Ivanka Trump.

I didn't slam DGG/Dave Goodman as hard as I did last time, and he's still got quite a following, although it has attenuated.

Gadfium and Llywrch were my two recommendations out of the money, 14th and 15th in the race of 15 more or less credible candidates, plus Kudpung... Kudpung would have lost anyway barring the sudden death by radiation poisoning of ten administrators running for the position...

Three of the five top supports were no brainers that would have won in any election. Two at the bottom were in tight competition with others that barely missed the cut. I gave my max push to Bradv, who beat first out of the money Barkeep49 by less than 15 votes.

General Poxter and Laser Brain both dropped out after my prodding.

So: yeah, I do think the exercise helps.

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:42 pm

The Adversary wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
In my old fashioned British English vernacular he's an old woman. Nothing to do with being gender politically correct - it's an expression that predates that.
I don't give a fuck whether you agree or not.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:42 pm
The Adversary wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
In my old fashioned British English vernacular he's an old woman. Nothing to do with being gender politically correct - it's an expression that predates that.
I don't give a fuck whether you agree or not.
I see.
You're a cunt.
:dry:

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:38 pm

:like: Got it in one. Now fuck off.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:10 am

None of the people are terrible, so we can wish them well, doing a horrible job on a bizarre website run by the horrible WMF.

After another Arbcom humiliation, Kudpung can still amuse us by being Kudpung.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

BrillLyle
Regular
Wikipedia User: BrillLyle
Actual Name: Erika Herzog

Unread post by BrillLyle » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:23 am
Any committee with New York Brad is apt to be better than any committee without him.

t
Please explain that.

Newyorkbrad (T-C-L) is an officious, startlingly ineffective person from my experience with him on WM NYC, especially when he was on the board and didn't bother to show up for anything. He's a New York City attorney, and I am sorry but I am not impressed by that in any way shape or form. It doesn't give him entree or special insight into anything, possibly the reverse.

I mean, the more I think about it, my situation with the WM NYC chapter is a poster child for what Arbcom should be dealing with. Someone in leadership should have intervened when things were so out of hand and disruptive for the chapter. Instead of hiding behind our loan officer Winifred Oliff from WMF, the chapter should have worked to fix the issues that led to my ouster, instead of effing me over big time. Isn't that sort of what Arbcom does in a nutshell? And yes, I realize the obvious naïveté here.

Ira hosted a board meeting -- and I think was instrumental in railroading me into being elected as WM NYC Secretary -- where I was publicly reprimanded and embarrassed in front of the whole chapter board. He seemed to get off on it in a way, and definitely seemed to have an opinion (negative, obvs) about me and my work, but hadn't had the grace to have any significant conversation with me to get to ask for my take on what was happening, learn anything about the actual work I was doing, my background and expertise, or get to know me personally. It was 100% jive. So yeah, not impressed.

DGG (T-C-L) , for all that he was somewhat generally kind to me (and well meaning but again not super effectively so), if incredibly pedantic -- if you think he's bad online, in person it goes on and on and on -- well to be super blunt about it, he's just too damn old.

David works very hard sometimes but he's sloppy in what he writes and his judgment is often impacted by the speed with which he does things. And he posits himself as the expert in all things Wikipedia, which I think is sort of problematic from the get go. IRL he rambles on and on about his interpretation of things like paid editing, etc. but it's all very general and unformed. It's difficult to see the forest from the trees in what he is saying, and he goes towards the politic versus spitting it out and having an opinion. And needs to produce more hard facts and details, IMO.

These were my experiences with both of them IRL during my time with WM NYC.

So ArbCom is a situation where no one wants to serve, right?

re: the old lady thing -- yeesch, sort of not loving these types of comments on here. do better maybe?

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:35 pm

BrillLyle wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am
Newyorkbrad (T-C-L) is [...] a New York City attorney, and I am sorry but I am not impressed by that in any way shape or form. It doesn't give him entree ... into anything, possibly the reverse.
[....]
DGG (T-C-L) [... is ...] sloppy in what he writes and his judgment is often impacted by the speed with which he does things.
"New York City lawyer".
Did you mean to compare Newyorkbrad (T-C-L) to such members of Category:Lawyers from New York City (T-H-L) as William Barr (T-H-L), David Dinkins (T-H-L), G. Gordon Liddy (T-H-L), Janet Napolitano (T-H-L), Jay Sekulow (T-H-L), Andrew Yang (T-H-L) or Nathaniel Parker?"New York City lawyer" is sometimes a euphemism for "Jew laywer".
Wikipedia wrote:Jews#Name_and_etymology (T-H-L)

According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (T-H-L), fourth edition (2000),
It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive.
The Administrator and once-&-future Arbitrator DGG (T-C-L) spent only 6 minutes reviewing the request for comment on me before depositing a copy of his essay on the proper care and feeding of young editors (diff).
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm

BrillLyle wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:23 am

t
Please explain that.
+1, please.
re: the old lady thing -- yeesch, sort of not loving these types of comments on here. do better maybe?
+1, Dawg Hammer, please.

In other news, the weird case of the 22 missing votes has been explained and the carbom emissions results page updated.

Also, this year, valid voters only elected to pitch 49% of their valid votes into the DGAF river. I believe this may be down from last year, possibly due to Gender Desk's (and Jim's) pedagogy. Not sure this is true, though, and I'm not going to dig into the numbers for previous years...

Neutral votes
: 17879
Total votes: 36806 (1673 voters x 22 candidates)

The algorithm is support votes ÷ (support votes + oppose votes)
los auberginos

BrillLyle
Regular
Wikipedia User: BrillLyle
Actual Name: Erika Herzog

Unread post by BrillLyle » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:35 pm
According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (T-H-L), fourth edition (2000),
It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive.
I wasn't meaning to infer anything by saying Newyorkbrad is a New York attorney only as far as it seems so very connected to how much he is held up as an arbiter of things (because of his job?). It clearly dovetails into the work he does in ArbCom. Which is quite a frightful thought actually, if he is like this IRL. Dear lord....

Also, though it's not relevant certainly, I'm Jewish. My dad and uncle was/are attorneys. I grew up in my dad's office, worked for him all through high school. I currently work at a law firm in a non-attorney role word processing. So I really don't have a dog in the race in terms of judging the "Jewishness" as it relates to NYB. It's more about the lawyer part. As it relates to ArbCom, etc. Which maybe erroneously I see as a legal body.

Sorry am a bit delirious here.
I'm sorry to hear you experienced this too. Sometimes I think more care time and attention is better than going at speed. It can be dangerous, and there's always time for stuff, right? I don't know. It's a huge concern. And if this is the approach for ArbCom matters, it's bodes badly.

That, in a nutshell, is the concern IMO. If ArbCom (continues) to muddle this stuff up, it's just bad news all around. But therein lies the rub of Wiki, eh? :vom:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:38 am

While Ira isn't an idiot, he hasn't done what he knows should have been done.
He's been too enamored with his position in 'teh community'...
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Sendo
Contributor

Unread post by Sendo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:24 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:10 am
None of the people are terrible, so we can wish them well, doing a horrible job on a bizarre website run by the horrible WMF.

True to himself he is now hallucinating up and down. He's claiming to be an important factor behind SoWhy's success.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Diff/930799854

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Sendo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:24 am
Moral Hazard wrote:

True to himself he is now hallucinating up and down. He's claiming to be an important factor behind SoWhy's success.
:welcome: Quite right :)

SoWhy
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SoWhy

Unread post by SoWhy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Impressed to see SoWhy rank so high.
I'd choose to use the word "surprised" here. I for one did not expect that.
Sendo wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:

I cannot speak to success factors but I did decide in favor of running after being asked to by a variety of experienced users (a group that did include Kudpung).

SoWhy
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SoWhy

Unread post by SoWhy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 am
I wonder what would happen if there were a revamp of the voting page, which included ranked choice for those candidates for whom voters voted. (It could be a high-tech drag-n-drop clearly labeled "Vote Order Matters!", or an endless series of low-tech drop-down boxes...)
I proposed a ranked-vote for the 2019 RFC but there was significant opposition, so I doubt this will change, although I am still in favor of some kind of ranked system over a straight vote.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm

SoWhy wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:11 pm
Bezdomni wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 am
I proposed a ranked-vote for the 2019 RFC but there was significant opposition, so I doubt this will change, although I am still in favor of some kind of ranked system over a straight vote.
Anything that could push Kudpung even further to the bottom is ok by me :D

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 pm

:welcome: SoWhy. Congratulations on your election. It is always a pleasure to welcome another arb to the site.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:39 pm

Obviously I hate you for slightly outscoring me.

Nah, I'm quite pleased that I'll be working with you and Xeno and Maxim, you all got my vote.

I'm not gonna lie, not everybody who got elected did get my vote, but with 22 candidates I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. I suspect there are sitting arbs that I'll be working with who did not vote for me, but what's done is done and hopefully we can all be cool about it.

If you've never worked with one of these mailing lists before, it's a bit...different than on-wiki communication. People are more willing to say what the really think. Most of the time that's a good thing. Sometimes it really, really isn't.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm

J.Hammer: the river abounds in forglot. :)

Thanks for posting that link SoWhy. I wish I had noticed while it was happening.

Simple: one big footer box (the river of forglot): two vertical rectangles for support & oppose. In order for your vote to count beyond the first round you must drag name-tag-divs into one of the big vertical rectangle boxes above the river. Those left in the DGAF river only count during the first round as part of the total number of voters.

1) if support / total > 47%, or...
2) if support / total > x (x being defined based on super-erudite standard deviation formulae that WPO's resident statisticians will each provide separately in flying gecko-lined briefcases)
then that's a first round win.

For the second round (of analysis), use a ranked choice mechanism to evaluate support and oppose votes for the remaining pool of candidates

And while you're at it, do you think you could use some of your Arbiness to create a legislature? :B'

To celebrate your election: Where is the what if the what is in why? (Moloko (T-H-L))
los auberginos

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Welcome, SoWhy!

tim

Sendo
Contributor

Unread post by Sendo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:28 am

SoWhy wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Carcharoth wrote:
Impressed to see SoWhy rank so high.
I'd choose to use the word "surprised" here. I for one did not expect that.
Sendo wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:

I cannot speak to success factors but I did decide in favor of running after being asked to by a variety of experienced users (a group that did include Kudpung).
The same "experienced Kudpung" whom the community roundly and wisely rejected.
You're solely elected by the community because of your cumulative experience and integrity. That has no bearing with random comments by Kudpung at the slightest. Whether Kudpung asked you to run or not you'll definitely win, just as you did.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am

Welcome to you, too, Sendo!

tim

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:30 am

With 1.5 obvious exceptions, this is a pleasing result.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 pm
:welcome: SoWhy (T-C-L). Congratulations on your election.
:welcome:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Guerillero
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Guerillero

Unread post by Guerillero » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:43 pm

My 10 of my 11 go through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Guerillero/ACE2019

DGG replaced Isarra

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Guerillero wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:43 pm
My 10 of my 11 go through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Guerillero/ACE2019

DGG replaced Isarra
We're gonna need to watch your guide very closely next year.

tim

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:32 pm

New ARBCOM is in.

What improvements should we expect?

How disappointed are we likely to be?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:32 pm
New ARBCOM is in.

What improvements should we expect?

How disappointed are we likely to be?

Hopefully they have a very boring year and we never notice them again.

t

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Fram should appeal his desysoping and then we'll see who was actually elected.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am

They can't possibly be any worse than the last iteration. There's nowhere to go but up.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:18 am

10920 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am
They can't possibly be any worse than the last iteration. There's nowhere to go but up.
I admire your optimism, but I don't share it.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Hopefully they have a very boring year and we never notice them again.

t
Wouldn't that be nice? My previous one-year term opened with not one but two desysop cases, one of which I was a party to, and closed with the GamerGate case.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:19 am

Shall we start a deadpool?

How will this ARBCOM shit the bed?
Bonus points for closest month guessed.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:01 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 am
Won my bet.
This is why I don't gamble . . .

Anyway, you got one year wrong and I got one year wrong, so we're even. One interesting reason the guides may have been off this year is that a lot of the guide writers were the wikipolitical types who got involved with the Fram dispute. Could be an indication of the real community sentiment on the issue was not as strong as one might think. However, it was probably strong enough to take a significant cut out of her support. Katie dropped nearly 12% from her first run.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:47 am

As far as the upcoming year is concerned, there's the Portals case, which should be pretty ugly.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:55 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:01 am
Katie dropped nearly 12% from her first run.
Big field = lower support percentages.

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:57 am

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Moot since he failed in a new vote at RFA.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:12 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:57 am
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Moot since he failed in a new vote at RFA.

RfB
That case needs to be relitigated with the 'sekret evidence' laid out and Fram able to participate.

I know it's a vain hope, but I burn with the gross violation of fundamental fairness the WMF perpetrated.