Watch for GamerGate to get hot again

Discussions about Sexism at Wikipedia
Beeblebrox
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Watch for GamerGate to get hot again

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 pm

It's just sad that he feels compelled to keep up his stupid crusade on an external website.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Only smart crusades are welcome at Wikipediocracy.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:So... Mr. Bernstein has basically been using Eric here as a "stalking horse," essentially, right? Since he's mentioned in various web-based news articles about the WP gender gap going back to 2014, Eric provides the convenient frame of reference that Mr. Bernstein needs in order to paint his opponents as not merely anti-feminists, but abusive anti-feminists. Never mind that Eric isn't really anti-feminist, he just wants to be able to treat everyone equally badly when he wants to (and on his own terms, of course).

It may be that this approach works well with non-Wikipedia people (who, presumably, are the people Mr. Bernstein is interested in), or at least it works better than the approach most of us would use (i.e., providing lots of explanatory detail about how Wikipedia actually "works"). So while his ideology doesn't bother me, this just seems like an easy-way-out, short-cut tactic on his part - one that implies that he doesn't think his intended audience can, or will, figure out the details on why these things are happening.
I think that's a reasonable summary.
So, let's talk about your apology to me...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am

Midsize Jake wrote:So... Mr. Bernstein has basically been using Eric here as a "stalking horse," essentially, right? Since he's mentioned in various web-based news articles about the WP gender gap going back to 2014, Eric provides the convenient frame of reference that Mr. Bernstein needs in order to paint his opponents as not merely anti-feminists, but abusive anti-feminists. Never mind that Eric isn't really anti-feminist, he just wants to be able to treat everyone equally badly when he wants to (and on his own terms, of course).
He's not a misogynist, he's a misanthrope. People are free to like him or not like him at their own discretion, but those who don't like him should understand that much, I think.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:23 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
He's not a misogynist, he's a misanthrope. People are free to like him or not like him at their own discretion, but those who don't like him should understand that much, I think.

RfB
That's about right.

As Jonathan Swift said, "I have ever hated all nations, professions, and communities, and all my love is toward individuals: for instance, I hate the tribe of lawyers, but I love Counsellor Such-a-one, and Judge Such-a-one: so with physicians - I will not speak of my own trade - soldiers, English, Scotch, French, and the rest. But principally I hate and detest that animal called man, although I heartily love John, Peter, Thomas, and so forth."

In fact, to be even more accurate, I'm an antitheist misanthrope, so it's little wonder that I'm not top of the pops in down-town America.
Last edited by Eric Corbett on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 am

Randy from Boise wrote:He's not a misogynist, he's a misanthrope. People are free to like him or not like him at their own discretion, but those who don't like him should understand that much, I think.
Obviously we're turning this into an Eric Corbett thread, so I should probably split this stuff off into... the Eric Corbett thread, but I wouldn't even call him a "misanthrope" - he's too good at personal-alliance cultivation for that, and I see no reason to think he doesn't actually like the people within his orbit. The best term for what he is (from the perspective of people outside his orbit) would be something like "divisiveness addict," "unity destroyer" or even "contempt farmer." Another one I've seen is "relational arsonist," which might be the best one of all. And this is really an online phenomenon, too - you don't generally see this in the real world, except maybe in church congregations or, I dunno, things like freemasonry or whatever.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:43 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:He's not a misogynist, he's a misanthrope. People are free to like him or not like him at their own discretion, but those who don't like him should understand that much, I think.
Obviously we're turning this into an Eric Corbett thread, so I should probably split this stuff off into... the Eric Corbett thread, but I wouldn't even call him a "misanthrope" - he's too good at personal-alliance cultivation for that, and I see no reason to think he doesn't actually like the people within his orbit. The best term for what he is (from the perspective of people outside his orbit) would be something like "divisiveness addict," "unity destroyer" or even "contempt farmer." Another one I've seen is "relational arsonist," which might be the best one of all. And this is really an online phenomenon, too - you don't generally see this in the real world, except maybe in church congregations or, I dunno, things like freemasonry or whatever.
It's all an act to virtue signal tough guy behavior online to his cult followers.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:48 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Doesn't every thread eventually turn into an Eric Corbett thread?

Why don't you get a grip on your bulldog?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

Hey dipshit,

You're the one who hijacked this thread and made it about you.
This is a thread I started.
I posted something relevant and did not mention you.
So salty...
https://www.markbernstein.org/Sep19/Gamergate.html

MarkyBark got his Spiderman costume out and climber the Reichstag again.
And you made it about you.
Can anyone please explain why someone calling himself Mark Bernstein has chosen to involve me in whatever this Gamergate thing is about? Something that I had absolutely nothing to do with?

I am in correspondence with him over the matter, and he freely admits that "I agree that you have no particular connection to Gamergate", so wtf is going on?
And
Why did Vigilant try to boost this manifestly untrue blog post? And why did you allow him to do that?

I think you'll soon find that Mark Bernstein has changed his tune.
I didn't write the blog post.
I don't talk to MarkyBark like you do.
I didn't invite you to participate in this thread.
Until you mentioned me, I said nothing to you.

Once you start flapping your cakehole at me, you're gonna get the hose.
Every time.
Until you learn.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
I think you misunderstand the meaning of "misanthrope" in this context. See the Jonathan Swift quotation above.

I believe that Swift predated your internet obsession?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 am

Eric Corbett wrote:Doesn't every thread eventually turn into an Eric Corbett thread?
Naah, every thread eventually turns into a Kumioko thread. You're not even all that close to operating at his level...
Because in the medium-long term, it works better to use rational discourse and logical argument to eventually convince people that you're not quite as bad as you're made out to be?
I think you misunderstand the meaning of "misanthrope" in this context. See the Jonathan Swift quotation above.
Look, it's fine if you want to call yourself a "misanthrope," but as for me, I go by conventional definitions, not contextual ones. A true misanthrope, in the conventional sense, couldn't be anywhere near as successful as you've been at making friends on WP or anywhere else. We also wouldn't have photographs of you at that meetup in the local pub, because you never would have even dreamed of attending such a gathering. And so on. But okay, fine, suit yourself - you're a "misanthrope."

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 am

Midsize Jake wrote: Look, it's fine if you want to call yourself a "misanthrope," but as for me, I go by conventional definitions, not contextual ones. A true misanthrope, in the conventional sense, couldn't be anywhere near as successful as you've been at making friends on WP or anywhere else. We also wouldn't have photographs of you at that meetup in the local pub, because you never would have even dreamed of attending such a gathering. And so on. But okay, fine, suit yourself - you're a "misanthrope."
You can of course choose to believe whatever you like. I merely pointed out that your analysis is at best half cocked and lacking any rational sociological context.

But what you, your bulldog or Bernstein are not allowed to do is to promote those beliefs as if they are in some mysterious sense true. You may offer your opinions, but you must not try to suggest that they are facts.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 am

Will it ever be possible to make an Eric Corbett thread that doesn't get locked?

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 am

Vigilant wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

Hey dipshit,

So salty...

Can anyone please explain why someone calling himself Mark Bernstein has chosen to involve me in whatever this Gamergate thing is about? Something that I had absolutely nothing to do with?

I am in correspondence with him over the matter, and he freely admits that "I agree that you have no particular connection to Gamergate", so wtf is going on?
And
Why did Vigilant try to boost this manifestly untrue blog post? And why did you allow him to do that?

Every time.
Until you learn.
The Bernstein link you posted mentioned Eric in the first paragraph. I think he’s certainly got a right to make a comment about it without being accused of hijacking the thread and making it all about himself.

You owe Eric an apology.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 am

Eric Corbett wrote:You can of course choose to believe whatever you like. I merely pointed out that your analysis is at best half cocked and lacking any rational sociological context.
You're right - it's only based on what's in the Oxford English dictionary, which as we all know is a bastion of 40%-cocked irrationality.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote: Look, it's fine if you want to call yourself a "misanthrope," but as for me, I go by conventional definitions, not contextual ones. A true misanthrope, in the conventional sense, couldn't be anywhere near as successful as you've been at making friends on WP or anywhere else. We also wouldn't have photographs of you at that meetup in the local pub, because you never would have even dreamed of attending such a gathering. And so on. But okay, fine, suit yourself - you're a "misanthrope."
You can of course choose to believe whatever you like. I merely pointed out that your analysis is at best half cocked and lacking any rational sociological context.

But what you, your bulldog or Bernstein are not allowed to do is to promote those beliefs as if they are in some mysterious sense true. You may offer your opinions, but you must not try to suggest that they are facts.

This reminds me of the time I was with two friends, one of them who thinks he is dipped in shit but is always involved in drama. I mentioned to him that so and so said something about him the other day and he immediately got pissed off at me. I DON’T LIKE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK!!! My other friend and I looked at each other and he said, “Dude, don’t you realize everyone gets talked about behind their back? That’s life.”

Of course people are going to say things as fact, despite whether or not it’s true. That is also “life”. Get over it.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:You can of course choose to believe whatever you like. I merely pointed out that your analysis is at best half cocked and lacking any rational sociological context.
You're right - it's only based on what's in the Oxford English dictionary, which as we all know is a bastion of 40%-cocked irrationality.
Half cock discount.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 am

Earthy Astringent wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

Hey dipshit,

So salty...

And

Every time.
Until you learn.
The Bernstein link you posted mentioned Eric in the first paragraph. I think he’s certainly got a right to make a comment about it without being accused of hijacking the thread and making it all about himself.

You owe Eric an apology.
I disagree.
I didn't author the blog and MArk Bernstein is a primary figure in the GG universe of incelerity.

If Eric had stopped at "WTF is my name doing in there" instead of "Why is Vigilant tormenting me??" then I would have let it pass.
Bolded above for easy reference.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 am

rhindle wrote:Will it ever be possible to make an Eric Corbett thread that doesn't get locked?
Talking for myself: I felt no need to lock the Eric thread "in the wilderness". I linked the Mark Bernstein post there originally, and it was copied here only after the thread was closed.
To clarify my reason: I felt like Mark is making "abstract" associations between EC, GG, and politics, that reflect some high-level philosophical / metaphysical parallels between some personality traits that negatively affect women. I wondered if somebody sees some more grounded association, and Midsize Jake gave a satisfactory explanation. I'm good with that.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:23 am

I suppose it's also worth noting that I opened the December 2018 AE thread which led to Mr. Bernstein's latest, and indefinite block. Though I didn't have to make much of a case because the topic ban violation was clear and he already had four previous escalating blocks for topic ban violations. But I've never had any interaction with MB before that, and I sat back during the whole Gamergate ArbCom case and only later mostly took issue with Gamaliel's biased admining in the area.

Just a humorous thought: maybe the Gamergate case was a culture war for teens and the Gender Gap Task Force case was a culture war for pensioners? This way MB may have had a point.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am

Pudeo wrote:I suppose it's also worth noting that I opened the December 2018 AE thread which led to Mr. Bernstein's latest, and indefinite block. Though I didn't have to make much of a case because the topic ban violation was clear and he already had four previous escalating blocks for topic ban violations. But I've never had any interaction with MB before that, and I sat back during the whole Gamergate ArbCom case and only later mostly took issue with Gamaliel's biased admining in the area.

Just a humorous thought: maybe the Gamergate case was a culture war for teens and the Gender Gap Task Force case was a culture war for pensioners? This way MB may have had a point.
The Gender Gap project was as pointless as Gamergate, so maybe your analogy is correct. Both were hilariously stupid in similar ways. Gamergate seemed like people rushing to play the victim, and then trying to parlay that into profitability of sorts.

BTW, what’s your beef with PeterTheFourth? You nailed him good, though he provided the nails and hammer.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm

rhindle wrote:Will it ever be possible to make an Eric Corbett thread that doesn't get locked?
At least there was no eye-gouging this time, and the airing of grievances raised recent issues.

Progress.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:16 pm

The latest 'marky' posting quoted in this thread has so many inaccuracies and outright lies that I don't even know where to begin.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm

10920 wrote:The latest 'marky' posting quoted in this thread has so many inaccuracies and outright lies that I don't even know where to begin.
BarkyMark isn't a rational actor at this point.
He had a ton of self invested in winning the culture war on en.wp, like Sauron into the One Ring.
When he was ousted along with his quartet of shrillings, he kind of lost his mind.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Vigilant wrote:
10920 wrote:The latest 'marky' posting quoted in this thread has so many inaccuracies and outright lies that I don't even know where to begin.
BarkyMark isn't a rational actor at this point.
He had a ton of self invested in winning the culture war on en.wp, like Sauron into the One Ring.
When he was ousted along with his quartet of shrillings, he kind of lost his mind.
I assume Marky is Mark Bernstein. If so, he made sense a few years ago in his opinionated way, but now he sees correlations through the nth dimension. It's like he lost his mind, got fixated on one concept, and tries to explain all the shit in the world with it. Sad loss.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote: BTW, what’s your beef with PeterTheFourth? You nailed him good, though he provided the nails and hammer.
I mean... POV? Here is the diff saying they won't debate being a Gamergate single purpose account, though that was in 2014 when the ArbCom case was on. I also dislike this hostile attitude he has with the intention of being so unpleasant that everyone who disagrees with him would just back off.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Pudeo wrote:
Earthy Astringent wrote: BTW, what’s your beef with PeterTheFourth? You nailed him good, though he provided the nails and hammer.
I mean... POV? Here is the diff saying they won't debate being a Gamergate single purpose account, though that was in 2014 when the ArbCom case was on. I also dislike this hostile attitude he has with the intention of being so unpleasant that everyone who disagrees with him would just back off.
That was the modus operandi.
It eventually caught up to those editors, but not before GG ended up an intractable mess.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

My eyes are dim, I cannot see... Can somebody refresh me who the five horsemen were?

Bernstein + PeterTheFourth + Ryulong + Gamaliel + NorthbySouthBaranof???

I just can't believe that Tarc and Cirt weren't part of that fun... How about PeterTheFourth as a Cirt sock?

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:My eyes are dim, I cannot see... Can somebody refresh me who the five horsemen were?

Bernstein + PeterTheFourth + Ryulong + Gamaliel + NorthbySouthBaranof???

I just can't believe that Tarc and Cirt weren't part of that fun... How about PeterTheFourth as a Cirt sock?

RfB
That's right.
There were lots of potstirrers, but those five were hard code warriors who resisted every attempt to get a less combative article.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 pm

I thought the original "Five Horsemen" were TaraInDC, NorthbySouthBaronof, TheRedPenOfDoom, Tarc and Ryulong, according to GamerGhazi at least, but it's been a while.

I mean, you definitely don't want to leave Tarc off the list - he'd be devastated...

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 pm

More like the five horseshits. The people they were defending in gamergate were certainly no angels. Not that I condone some of the tactics used against them. At least swatting wasn’t a thing at that point. Can you imagine the blog posts from Zoe and Wu if that had happened? They’d still be writing about it today.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:I thought the original "Five Horsemen" were TaraInDC, NorthbySouthBaronof, TheRedPenOfDoom, Tarc and Ryulong, according to GamerGhazi at least, but it's been a while.

I mean, you definitely don't want to leave Tarc off the list - he'd be devastated...
I forgot Red Pen. And yeah, I was having trouble wrapping my head around Tarc not being part of the list, since it would seem to have been his national sport there...

But Gamaliel wasn't one of the horsemen?!? That pretty much sinks the notion that it was only five.

There needs to be a Wikipedia page on the Five Horsemen, ha ha. That would be an entertaining self-contained venue for POV warrior craziness...

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:I thought the original "Five Horsemen" were TaraInDC, NorthbySouthBaronof, TheRedPenOfDoom, Tarc and Ryulong, according to GamerGhazi at least, but it's been a while.

I forgot Red Pen. And yeah, I was having trouble wrapping my head around Tarc not being part of the list, since it would seem to have been his national sport there...

But Gamaliel wasn't one of the horsemen?!? That pretty much sinks the notion that it was only five.

There needs to be a Wikipedia page on the Five Horsemen, ha ha. That would be an entertaining self-contained venue for POV warrior craziness...

RfB
https://thinkprogress.org/the-five-hors ... 35aeafdc8/

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Well, look what we have here:
The Five Horsemen were editors dedicated to removing any edits that didn’t mesh with Wikipedia’s policies and didn’t come from reputable sources, according to Wikipedia editor and writer Mark Bernstein who first blogged about the problem in January. The editors, he said, were part of targeted attack from Gamergate supporters.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 pm

10920 wrote:Well, look what we have here:
The Five Horsemen were editors dedicated to removing any edits that didn’t mesh with Wikipedia’s policies and didn’t come from reputable sources, according to Wikipedia editor and writer Mark Bernstein who first blogged about the problem in January. The editors, he said, were part of targeted attack from Gamergate supporters.
That's hardly controversial, is it? The whole thing was basically them rejecting sources, mostly Breitbart and the like, that said that GG wasn't just a harassment campaign (i.e., it was a consumer revolt, it was about ethics in gaming journalism, etc.). And indeed, pretty much all the reliable sources were saying it was a harassment campaign, some of them saying it was disguised as those other things, until David Auerbach came along in September 2014 and started writing stuff like this in Slate, at which point the whole reliable-source thing became more problematic. (That's also when the now-famous "sea lion" comic initially appeared, among other momentous events.)

A few months later, Auerbach published this piece specifically about the Wikipedia side of the whole thing. I believe that's also when Gamaliel started seriously hassling Auerbach on Twitter, though I could be mistaken about that (i.e., he might have started much earlier).

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:06 am

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, but allegedly some screenshots show that Quinn was not "kidnapped" or confined by Holowka during the time she was staying with him:

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/exclu ... ing-apart/

A day after that political blog posted that article, they were hit with a DDS attack but they appear to have fought it off.

One of the most striking things about the Gamergate controversy (apart from it likely having an influence on getting Trump elected president and constantly illustrating what a train wreck Zoe Quinn's life is) is the zeal with which Wikipedia editors/administrators and other like-minded people around the Internet pull out all the stops to try to protect Quinn from the consequences of her actions. Somehow, she has been able to make herself into some kind of hero for the Internet social justice set. I suspect, however, that it has more to with, "We can't let THEM win by taking down Quinn, because then we'll lose this war."
Last edited by Cla68 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 am

Cla68 wrote:Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, but allegedly some screenshots show that Quinn was not "kidnapped" or confined by Holowka during the time she was staying with him:

A day after that political blog posted that article, they were hit with a DDS attack but they appear to have fought it off.
There are no heroes in GamerGate, but Chelsea van Valkenburg aka Zoe Quinn is an unmedicated sociopath with a history of grifting.

Take nothing she says as truthful.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 am

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB
https://thinkprogress.org/the-five-hors ... 35aeafdc8/
Laughed at this bit:
“I came into this and I had no idea who Zoe Quinn was or what a social justice warrior was six months ago,” said Travis Mason-Bushman, who has been editing Wikipedia for 10 years under the name NorthbySouthBaronof.
Two paragraphs later:
The majority of the other main editors involved — NorthbySouthBaronof, TheRedPenOfDoom, Tarc and Ryulong — are longtime Wikipedia editors aiming to return normalcy and factual accuracy to the Gamergate pages. Their identities remain anonymous.
And then two more paragraphs later:
“They basically tried to use the bullshit sourcing [like] Breitbart that Anita [Sarkeesian] lied, that maybe she sent the death threats to herself that they are professional victims,” said Mason-Bushman, who lives in Alaska and works for the federal government.
It's remarkably sloppy throughout—Stierch is introduced twice, they suggest only 71 people edited Gamergate, and they keep interviewing people with no apparent relevance or credentials. Bushman is called a she in some places rather than a he.
Vigilant wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, but allegedly some screenshots show that Quinn was not "kidnapped" or confined by Holowka during the time she was staying with him:

There are no heroes in GamerGate, but Chelsea van Valkenburg aka Zoe Quinn is an unmedicated sociopath with a history of grifting.

Take nothing she says as truthful.
The sadly amusing thing about Gamergate is they managed to entirely create the boogeyman they set out to destroy. Harassing Sarkeesian and calling her a professional victim only magnified her platform and her ability to raise money. Quinn wouldn't have any relevance if her boyfriend hadn't attacked her in the first place. Wu wouldn't be gearing up for another failing political candidacy.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 am

Gamergate is filled with sloppy reporting, much of it fed to the journalists from the antis who found a sympathetic ear.

The articles that were produced and published were largely shallow, venal and banal.
They were piled up to the rafters in the GamerGate article, biasing the article to one extreme.

The pros then declared war and continue to pick and pick at the article with antis like Jorm self righteously braying about 'defending teh wiki, yo!' and continuing the war.

At one point, I felt that there was a chance to delete the miasma of metastasizing related articles, get down to one article and lock it after a small group of neutral editors worked it into something more balanced.

That never happened.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 am

There was really only one true Wikipedian willing to wallow hip-deep in liquid shit to try to get something resembling a NPOV presentation in place, Masem (T-C-L). He was absolutely mauled by the anti-Gamergate gameplaying fucks.

Hi, Tarc!

RfB

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:27 am

Jorm and Gamaliel are very outspoken about civility and how important it is. Here Gamaliel complains on his talk page:
I don't feel any compulsion to donate my time for free to a project that encourages and enables so much toxic behavior, but I am I am heartened to see some small steps towards divesting itself of its worst elements.
What they somehow do not understand or fail to see is that these guys are an absolutely toxic presence in certain subject areas. Throwing around sarcasm, "cool story, bro," and "bless your heart" to everyone who isn't as woke as they are. Gamaliel and Jorm are miserable to work with if you don't fall directly in line with their thinking. If you are a somehow someone who maybe questions the absolute narrative of Gamergate then you are a toxic presence and fair game for them.

I posit that Gamaliel and Jorm are very much a part of this "toxic culture" they so deeply lament and fight against, not Fram. But since Fram committed the cardinal sin of administrating a woman's editing, he's the one our heroes label as toxic, or as Gamaliel says, one of Wikipedia's "worst elements."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm

MrErnie wrote:Jorm and Gamaliel are very outspoken about civility and how important it is. Here Gamaliel complains on his talk page:
I don't feel any compulsion to donate my time for free to a project that encourages and enables so much toxic behavior, but I am I am heartened to see some small steps towards divesting itself of its worst elements.
What they somehow do not understand or fail to see is that these guys are an absolutely toxic presence in certain subject areas. Throwing around sarcasm, "cool story, bro," and "bless your heart" to everyone who isn't as woke as they are. Gamaliel and Jorm are miserable to work with if you don't fall directly in line with their thinking. If you are a somehow someone who maybe questions the absolute narrative of Gamergate then you are a toxic presence and fair game for them.

I posit that Gamaliel and Jorm are very much a part of this "toxic culture" they so deeply lament and fight against, not Fram. But since Fram committed the cardinal sin of administrating a woman's editing, he's the one our heroes label as toxic, or as Gamaliel says, one of Wikipedia's "worst elements."
As anybody associated with WPO who has posted to the Wikipedia Weekly Facebook page well knows, Gamaliel is a nasty piece of work in his default mode. He is a POV warrior in bright, shining armor — and he probably doesn't even take it off to take a shower. The number of Wikipedians LESS civil than he is small.

RfB

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:16 pm

One of the most striking things about the Gamergate controversy (apart from it likely having an influence on getting Trump elected president and constantly illustrating what a train wreck Zoe Quinn's life is) is the zeal with which Wikipedia editors/administrators and other like-minded people around the Internet pull out all the stops to try to protect Quinn from the consequences of her actions. Somehow, she has been able to make herself into some kind of hero for the Internet social justice set. I suspect, however, that it has more to with, "We can't let THEM win by taking down Quinn, because then we'll lose this war."
Yes, there's a reason she deleted her Twitter account.

RE: Midsize

I was pointing out that the article quotes from the subject du jour.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 am

:like:
Randy from Boise wrote:[

He is a POV warrior in bright, shining armor — and he probably doesn't even take it off to take a shower. The number of Wikipedians LESS civil than he is small.

RfB
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
MrErnie wrote:Jorm and Gamaliel are very outspoken about civility and how important it is. Here Gamaliel complains on his talk page:

As anybody associated with WPO who has posted to the Wikipedia Weekly Facebook page well knows, Gamaliel is a nasty piece of work in his default mode. He is a POV warrior in bright, shining armor — and he probably doesn't even take it off to take a shower. The number of Wikipedians LESS civil than he is small.

RfB
True.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am

Cullen328 on Wikipedia wrote:This encylopedia needs all kinds of editors who comply with its policies and guidelines. Especially useful are editors like Jorm who are willing to delve into highly contentious topics at the ragged edges of popular culture and extremist politics. Please excuse me, Jorm, for pinging you to your own page. Thanks for what you do. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 06:40, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
:rotfl:

Cool story, bro!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am

Cullen328 on Wikipedia wrote:This encylopedia needs all kinds of editors who comply with its policies and guidelines. Especially useful are editors like Jorm who are willing to delve into highly contentious topics at the ragged edges of popular culture and extremist politics. Please excuse me, Jorm, for pinging you to your own page. Thanks for what you do. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 06:40, 12 September 2019 (UTC)

Jim, sometimes you make it hard for me to love you, but I still do.

Ugh.

RfB

DHeyward
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: DHeyward

Unread post by DHeyward » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB
When it was clear the others were added, I called them Five Guys Burger and Fries. It was deleted rapidly as a BLP violation. Not sure if google still returns that reference with Quinn.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 pm

DHeyward wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB
When it was clear the others were added, I called them Five Guys Burger and Fries. It was deleted rapidly as a BLP violation. Not sure if google still returns that reference with Quinn.
Google doesn't return any Wikipedia results.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/zoe-quinn

https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/Quinnspiracy

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/c ... and_fries/

is what comes up

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Non-biased summary of events and evidence:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/zoe-quin ... -255211039