The Limpies! Aka the WPO Awards

Earthy Astringent
Banned
kołdry

The Limpies! Aka the WPO Awards

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 am

As mentioned in the Framgate thread, let’s develop our own Award.

See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10443&p=250159#p250110 for the early ruminations.

As one who isn’t above tooting his own horn, a brilliant idea if I may say so. Limpies is a working title, named after Wikipedia’s co-dotard-founder.

And I’m only half joking. While we should certainly have fun with such a concept, we can combine our mission to criticize and at the same time single out and highlight Wikipedia’s Heels and Heros as nominated and chosen by the WPO Faithful. Then we send a moderately brave WPO shill to pass out some barnstars and/or announce them via a blogpost. Too many subjects of our criticism don’t feel our love. We should correct this oversight.

So, is this a good idea or horrid?

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Re: The Limpies! Aka the WPO Awards

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Earthy Astringent wrote:Speaking of Arbs, we ought to have a “the worst arb” poll and give the winner a prize. Hell, have categories across the board for WO’s very own version of the Oscars. I would prefer some horribly politically incorrect and juvenile name, like “The Tardies”. But I suppose we could go with its equivalent: The Jimmies! Instead of a gold statue they would get lifetime supply of condoms with our heartfelt wishes that they never procreate.
The Limp Jimbo Award.
Jimbo jizz-shirt, for cleaning up a little splash of chromosome abnormality (T-H-L)
thekohser wrote:Image
Moral Hazard wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
Sydney Morning Herald wrote: https://www.smh.com.au/technology/wikip ... ds3ve.html
"Jimbeau [Wool's nickname for his former boss] was certainly not frugal in his spending on his endless trips abroad, but when it came to handing in receipts, he could be somewhat careless," Wool wrote in a post on his personal blog.

"At one point he owed the Foundation some $30,000 in receipts, and this while we were preparing for the audit."

Wool said Wales, 41, later tried to claim the cost of a $US0.50 ($0.54) train ticket in Moscow, a trip to a massage parlour in Moscow and $US650 spent on two bottles of wine during a dinner for four in Florida.

Wool later said he believed Wales' questionable use of the foundation's funds stopped in 2006 after his credit card was taken away.

"I wonder if the students who gave up their lunch money to donate to Wikipedia would have approved of that expense," Wool wrote.
---
Earlier this week,
Wales was publicly humiliated by estranged girlfriend Rachel Marsden (T-H-L), 33, who released saucy instant message transcripts between the pair and auctioned off some of Wales' clothes on eBay after he apparently broke up with her via a statement on Wikipedia.
And while Wales denies he broke Wikipedia's conflict of interest rules by helping Marsden clean up her Wikipedia entry, the leaked transcripts, published by Silicon Valley gossip blog Valleywag, suggest otherwise.

They show Wales, who is currently going through a divorce, apparently using his influence to improperly make changes to Marsden's entry, which she claimed was wrong and libellous.

In one transcript, Wales tells Marsden he wrote an email to Wikipedia's internal editor's list recommending changes to her biography, which included tales of alleged criminal harassment by Marsden.
---
The chat transcript shows Wales going through proposed changes to Marsden's Wikipedia entry.

"Let's actually do this right now," Wales allegedly wrote.

"Because the last thing I want to do is take a break from f---ing your brains out all night to work on your wikipedia entry."
#JimmyWales #JimboWales #Russia #Russian #Moscow #Muscovy #MassageParlour #MassageParlor #Receipts #WMF #WikiMediaFoundation
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am

I think that this could potentially be a very valuable way to bring credit and attention to the field of Wikipedia criticism. For it to work, there would have to be an open nomination process, a consistent set of categories from year to year. Follow through with a blog post, etc.

I would propose the following set of award categories:
1. The John Seigenthaler lifetime achievement award - for lifetime achievement to the community/movement
2. The Throatpuncher Award - for most outstanding contribution by a WMF staff member
3. The Fae Award - for outstanding contribution in GLAM
4. The Undue Attention Award - for outstanding Wikiproject
5. The George Pope Award - for outstanding work by an outside journalist covering the movement
6. The NewYorkBrad Award - for most notable performance by an enWP arb
7. The Wil Sinclair Award - for most notable newcomer
8. The Larry Sanger Award - for most notable departure from the community

Please share your thoughts.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

eagle wrote:I think that this could potentially be a very valuable6. way to bring credit and attention to the filed of Wikipedia criticism. For it to work, there would have to be an open nomination process, a consistent set of categories from year to year. Follow through with a blog post, etc.

I would propose the following set of award categories:
1. The John Seigenthaler lifetime achievement award - for lifetime achievement to the community/movement
2. The Throatpuncher Award - for most outstanding contribution by a WMF staff member
3. The Fae Award - for outstanding contribution in GLAM
4. The Undue Attention Award - for outstanding Wikiproject
5. The George Pope Award - for outstanding work by an outside journalist covering the movement
6. The NewYorkBrad Award - for most notable performance by an enWP arb
7. The Wil Sinclair Award - for most notable newcomer
8. The Larry Sanger Award - for most notable departure from the community

Please share your thoughts.
Concept good; needs a little tweaking.

I'm not sure what Fae has too do with Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums. It comes of as a play on Glam rock and sort of feels like a low-brow 1970s-style anti-gay slur the way it sits. I don't know that we should be awarding anything for endeavor in GLAM anyway, unless the purpose of the mission is to totally troll Crowsnest. (Hi, Crow!)

There are similar problems with a few other awards in terms of disassociation of the name from the actual award. I would strongly suggest ditching the real person living human names for all of these.

Also, are we rewarding things like courage as an arb, or mocking the worst example of assholery demonstrated by an Arb? Are we rewarding good behavior or ridiculing bad behavior or both? This is not clear from some of these categories.

In general, I like the idea of awards, think we should both honor bravery and openness and mock abusiveness and corruption. I think there should be something like 3 positive awards (editor, administrator, arb) and five or so negative awards (editor-behavior, editor-COI, administrator-abusive, WMF-general idiocy, lifetime achievement-general nastiness/financial milking/POV pushing etc.).

They can have catchy names but shouldn't have human names.

My two cents.

tim

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am

Object: Jimmy Wales, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia, etc.
Insult:
a. Sexual: Limpy, Jizz-Shirt, Felcher (do not look it up!),
b. Political/ethical: Quisling, traitor, etc.
c.
Honor: Order of, Fellow of, distinguished fellow, etc.
Level: First class, 2nd class,

Example:

Jimmy Wales distinguished felching award, first class, to Smallbones, for years of service on Jimbo Wales's talk page.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

Moral Hazard wrote:Object: Jimmy Wales, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia, etc.
Insult:
a. Sexual: Limpy, Jizz-Shirt, Felcher (do not look it up!),
b. Political/ethical: Quisling, traitor, etc.
c.
Honor: Order of, Fellow of, distinguished fellow, etc.
Level: First class, 2nd class,

Example:

Jimmy Wales distinguished felching award, first class, to Smallbones, for years of service on Jimbo Wales's talk page.
Can there be a blowhard award for those who say far too much when short, pithy messages are all that is needed?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm

The Map of Hawaii award for the most lickspittle person on JimboStalk : I nominate Peter Ekman aka Smallbones as my inaugural choice.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 pm

The Limpies? With the unmistakable allusion to flaccid penises? Really?

I like a bit of fun at least ten times more than the average Wikipedian, but let's try not to bring everything down to dick joke levels. Please?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Name them after a famous dead guy that will get attention on-wiki. Call them the Aaron Swartz Awards or something...

RfB

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:The Limpies? With the unmistakable allusion to flaccid penises? Really?

I like a bit of fun at least ten times more than the average Wikipedian, but let's try not to bring everything down to dick-joke levels.
You set a fine example!
Smiley wrote:And you, sir, are you waiting to receive my limp penis?

Category:Erect_giraffe_penis
Smiley wrote:Image

Sorry Pro, the photo shops closed.

I have nothing to with the internet in my daily live.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Surely this isn't an original idea. I believe that Hersch organised something very similar on another site, and even had votes on the awards.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Poetlister wrote:Surely this isn't an original idea. I believe that Hersch organised something very similar on another site, and even had votes on the awards.
I never really participated in that stuff myself, mostly because I've never had a Wikipedia account (etc.), but if I were forced to critique the old "WP:DICK of Distinction Awards," indeed the first thing I'd point out is that the whole thing really needed a catchy name that wouldn't turn media people off like, immediately.

"Limpies" isn't bad, but IMO you'd need something that sounds good in both singular and plural, and "Limpy" doesn't really look so good in singular form. It should be a regular first (or maybe last) name, easily pronounced, and preferably ending with a consonant. Also, we should be able to explain the backstory behind the name in two sentences or less. The best one (again, IMO) would probably be "the Oliver," but that probably sounds too much like "the Olivier," which is the UK version of the Tony award named after Lawrence Olivier. Others might include "the Bauder," or maybe "the Steven."

You know, something like that. I'll have to give this some more thought, I guess.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Also, are we rewarding things like courage as an arb, or mocking the worst example of assholery demonstrated by an Arb? Are we rewarding good behavior or ridiculing bad behavior or both? This is not clear from some of these categories.

In general, I like the idea of awards, think we should both honor bravery and openness and mock abusiveness and corruption. I think there should be something like 3 positive awards (editor, administrator, arb) and five or so negative awards (editor-behavior, editor-COI, administrator-abusive, WMF-general idiocy, lifetime achievement-general nastiness/financial milking/POV pushing etc.).

They can have catchy names but shouldn't have human names.

My two cents.

tim
The concept of the awards should reflect criticism and contempt where earned, as well as for praise and bravery. But they suck each other off with such regularity on Wikipedia that our praise should still take a jab at them somehow. Backhanded compliments are the best. The more I think about this, it probably shouldn’t be a real “nominate and vote” award. That’s too much work. Maybe we have a special forum where jerks and jills are “noted” throughout the year and we use that to build awards for the year complete with snark.

... there should be a Heels category. So the “GorillaWarfare trophy” would be given to the worst Arbcom member of the year. Ideally we would highlight some of their asshattery that won them the prize.

And likewise a Heroes category. No idea what to call the award for best Arbcom member would be though. How about “This one sucked the least?”

Not every award has to be given out. And there is no reason why we can’t make up awards on the spot. Or even give the same award multiple times. For example, The NYBrad, given to those being a pretentious d-bag by using lawyer speak. Take your inter alia, shove it in and break it off. Speak English motherfucker.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 am

The Wiki-Fiddler Awards
Categories:
Truthbending
Hasten the Day
Hero of the Year
Heel of the Year
Best Toady

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am

The Grima Wormtongue for best sucking up
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:22 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Surely this isn't an original idea. I believe that Hersch organised something very similar on another site, and even had votes on the awards.
I never really participated in that stuff myself, mostly because I've never had a Wikipedia account (etc.), but if I were forced to critique the old "WP:DICK of Distinction Awards," indeed the first thing I'd point out is that the whole thing really needed a catchy name that wouldn't turn media people off like, immediately.

"Limpies" isn't bad, but IMO you'd need something that sounds good in both singular and plural, and "Limpy" doesn't really look so good in singular form. It should be a regular first (or maybe last) name, easily pronounced, and preferably ending with a consonant. Also, we should be able to explain the backstory behind the name in two sentences or less. The best one (again, IMO) would probably be "the Oliver," but that probably sounds too much like "the Olivier," which is the UK version of the Tony award named after Lawrence Olivier. Others might include "the Bauder," or maybe "the Steven."

You know, something like that. I'll have to give this some more thought, I guess.
Surely they should be the SlimVirgin awards.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche