Forthcoming book about Wikipedia’s first 20 years

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Forthcoming book about Wikipedia’s first 20 years

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Kumioko wrote:Why not distribute out of the US? I mean as long as it's published in the US and meets US laws, Amazon can ship it wherever.
Because if it's shipped to England and any identifiable person associated with the book is in England, he or she could face a libel case in an English court.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:And we've gotta be really, really, really, really, really careful about potential libel.

RfB
Don't forget that libel laws vary enormously between countries. It's much easier to get damages in England than the USA for example.
In some ways the libel law is helpful. Whether you write about Neutrality (T-C-L) or Bishonen (T-C-L) or El Sis or another admin returning from the dead... since they are strictly anonymous and their record is public, it strikes me as very difficult to run afoul of libel law as long as there are clear links to source material supporting true assertions.

I wonder how many RS Bish and Floquenbeam and Fram have been mentioned in, other than the recent Buzzfeed News mention, for example. I know Neutrality had a cameo in Atlantic. In general I've noticed that the hardest-working snoox keep their anonymity when interviewed on the turf wars. Sandstein has surely been mentioned in articles on wikipediant colonies, no? Some articles need to be more cautiously dealt with than others, though. (example: this journalist was mentioned by name in the Minassian Communications report (fall, 2016) as someone it was likely impossible to win over to the cause).

Of course, given that wiki-lawyers like to start SWAPP suits, it's always possible some or any anons may have the wherewithal to start RW SLAPP suits. This might not even be entirely unheard of in the wikiverse...
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Sandstein's real name is known; he was on Daniel Brandt's website. And there are people we might mention such as David Gerard and Fred Bauder.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Would anyone like to see the book-wiki material about some of these "major Wikipedians"?

I could post it. But there's a price.
eagle wrote:So far, chapters include:
From Utopia to Practice and Back
by Yochai Benkler

The many (reported) deaths of Wikipedia
by Joseph Reagle

How Wikipedia Drove Professors Crazy, Made Me Sane, and Almost Saved the Internet
by Jake Orlowitz

Wikipedia As A Role-Playing Game, Or Why Some Academics Do Not Like Wikipedia
by Dariusz Jemielniak

The problem with humans writing an encyclopedia
by Jackie Koerner

Collaborating on the sum of all knowledge across languages
by Denny Vrandečić

What We Talk About When We Talk About Community
by Melissa Tamani, Michael Mandiberg, Jacqueline Mabey, and Siân Evans

Wikipedia and Libraries
by Phoebe Ayers

Rise of the underdog
by Heather Ford

The First Twenty Years of Teaching with Wikipedia: From Faculty Enemy to Faculty Enabler
by Robert Cummings

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 pm

EricBarbour wrote:I could post it. But there's a price.

DONT BE FOOLED POEPLE!!!!
HE ONLY WANTS UR DIKPICS!!!!

Just when I thought I was out ..... :shitpost:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Okay, but if the price is to unsuspend Graaf Statler's account, there's going to be some push-back.

mendaliv
Habitué
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Unread post by mendaliv » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Okay, but if the price is to unsuspend Graaf Statler's account, there's going to be some push-back.
I for one would be fine paying that price, provided he could be resuspended as soon as he became more insufferable than entertaining.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 pm

mendaliv wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:
I for one would be fine paying that price, provided he could be resuspended as soon as he became more insufferable than entertaining.
We don't even know what the price is yet.
Globally banned after 7 years.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm

Dysklyver wrote:We don't even know what the price is yet.

If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:36 am

mendaliv wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:Okay, but if the price is to unsuspend Graaf Statler's account, there's going to be some push-back.
I don't think the web-browser admin interface for phpBB could be made to operate that fast, but maybe we could write some sort of script or server plugin to handle the job.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:59 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
mendaliv wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:Okay, but if the price is to unsuspend Graaf Statler's account, there's going to be some push-back.
I don't think the web-browser admin interface for phpBB could be made to operate that fast, but maybe we could write some sort of script or server plugin to handle the job.
A technical way of resolving a social problem? Quick, patent it and sue WMF when they try to implement it themselves!
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 pm

If you wanna be with me
Baby there's a price to pay
I'm a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub me the right way

- Christina Aguilera

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:05 am

The price is: Tarantino has to accept a full copy of the book notes, and correct any errors he finds.

Not negotiable.

Email me metasonix at gmail when you agree.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:42 am

I've had access to the book wiki for years, but haven't looked at it recently because it appears to be broken. I haven't asked Ed about it because he seems to have lost interest in wikipedia.
Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Argument 1 passed to MWExceptionHandler::report() must be an instance of Exception, instance of Error given, called in /home2/edwardb/public_html/y/includes/Exception.php on line 567 and defined in /home2/edwardb/public_html/y/includes/Exception.php:480 Stack trace: #0 /home2/edwardb/public_html/y/includes/Exception.php(567): MWExceptionHandler::report(Object(Error)) #1 [internal function]: MWExceptionHandler::handle(Object(Error)) #2 {main} thrown in /home2/edwardb/public_html/y/includes/Exception.php on line 480

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:04 am

Eric wrote:Tarantino has to accept a full copy of the book notes, and correct any errors he finds.
:rotfl:

At this rate it's going to end up being a book about Wikipedia's first 40 years....

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 am

Mr. X has serious collywobbles about the seriousness of this project.

Ed/Peter Damien has been in touch and has asked to be put in touch with the editor, Eagle. I'll PM on this.

I'm to the end of the cat wrangling task and an hereby stepping aside. Take it away as editor, Eagle.

over and out,

tim

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Mr. X has serious collywobbles about the seriousness of this project.
I'm surprised. Surely it's as serious as we can make it.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 am

You know guys, I say again that if we look at the content of some of Mark Levin's books and other books criticising things such as "The Mouse Betrayed" about Disney World and Disney related shady stuff, we should be able to develop this thing into a well written book people want to read. The mere fact that it's about a top ten website everyone has heard about just adds to the value.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:47 am

Kumioko wrote:You know guys, I say again that if we look at the content of some of Mark Levin's books and other books criticising things such as "The Mouse Betrayed" about Disney World and Disney related shady stuff, we should be able to develop this thing into a well written book people want to read. The mere fact that it's about a top ten website everyone has heard about just adds to the value.
...and Disney purchased Marvel Comics, LucasArts, and much of 20th Century Fox and 21st Century Fox, all of which substantially changed the media landscape worldwide.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 am

Johnny Au wrote:
Kumioko wrote:You know guys, I say again that if we look at the content of some of Mark Levin's books and other books criticising things such as "The Mouse Betrayed" about Disney World and Disney related shady stuff, we should be able to develop this thing into a well written book people want to read. The mere fact that it's about a top ten website everyone has heard about just adds to the value.
...and Disney purchased Marvel Comics, LucasArts, and much of 20th Century Fox and 21st Century Fox, all of which substantially changed the media landscape worldwide.
Yeah you're right and I doubt they are done buying up stuff. I just wonder who will be next. If I had to make a guess, I would suspect they are waiting for Netflix to go under in debt and then they'll buy up what's left for pennies on the dollar and fold it into Disney +.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:37 pm

Yes, Disney is turning into a monster beyond Walt Disney's dreams. It may become another Gulf and Western Industries (T-H-L) (or "Engulf and Devour" as it was nicknamed), which became huge and then got broken up.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:50 pm

Poetlister wrote:Yes, Disney is turning into a monster beyond Walt Disney's dreams. It may become another Gulf and Western Industries (T-H-L) (or "Engulf and Devour" as it was nicknamed), which became huge and then got broken up.
To be honest I could very easily see someone arguing it needs to be broken up in a few years. There are plenty more things they could by up, don't get me wrong, but it is funny how big they have gotten in the last 15-20 years.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:52 am

tarantino wrote:I've had access to the book wiki for years, but haven't looked at it recently because it appears to be broken. I haven't asked Ed about it because he seems to have lost interest in wikipedia.
Aren't you lucky--I had the entire contents of it converted into .odt and .pdf format files for just this eventuality. All weblinks converted to footnotes.

Can easily send the .odt files (about 18 megabytes). Method of your choice.

So if you had access to the wiki, why didn't you correct things?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:28 am

At this rate it's going to end up being a book about Wikipedia's first 40 years....
I'm so very happy that you find this shitshow amusing. Where were you from 2011 to 2014 when Ed, Andreas, myself and others were compiling that giant mountain of unreadable mental-illness displays? Realistically, what I have basically covers 2001 to 2011 in considerable detail, and assorted major issues (mostly focusing on WMF internal chaos) from 2011 to 2017. I stopped updating after that because it was obvious that no one gives a damn. JImbo and his little fanboy gang won the war of hearts and minds, and the rest of us lose.

Do you remember the ugly little mess produced by Alan Dershowitz back in 2005? He unquestionably edited his own BLP. And when someone tried to clean it up, he contacted Jimbo directly, who rolled over and wagged his tail "YESSIR YESSIR" and thence ordered his minions to insure Dershowitz's article contained no "questionable information". I bet $100 a legal threat was made.

Alan Dershowitz is STILL being "sanitized" today. And still makes only the briefest mention of his first wife Sue Barlach, the divorce, and her suicide (?). Funny how I mentioned this on the WS forum today, and within a couple of hours, someone added it to the WP article. But you still have to go elsewhere to read the full story. (There are people who suspect Barlach was murdered. In many circles, the mere mention of the name "Alan Dershowitz" produces a hellstorm.)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... s-advocate

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =908720560

Not to mention the slowly building shit-river over Dershowitz's longtime friendship with Jeffrey Epstein. Also not mentioned in the WP article, until VERY recently. This SHOULD have been a scandal but hardly anyone even noticed. The editor who fought with Jimbo over that, Xed, was a real troublemaker. The focus of two deeply evil 2005 arbitrations, after which Xed was permab& by Jimbo himself. One petty bastard (with a fan club) banning another. Jayjg, Fred Bauder, SlimVirgin and various other familiar handles were deeply involved here. So where's the history of THAT? Or even the public discussion?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 am

EricBarbour wrote:So if you had access to the wiki, why didn't you correct things?
I believe the error message he quoted meant there was a configuration error, which would have prevented him from even seeing the main page.

I could be wrong...

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:40 am

Kumioko wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Yes, Disney is turning into a monster beyond Walt Disney's dreams. It may become another Gulf and Western Industries (T-H-L) (or "Engulf and Devour" as it was nicknamed), which became huge and then got broken up.
To be honest I could very easily see someone arguing it needs to be broken up in a few years. There are plenty more things they could by up, don't get me wrong, but it is funny how big they have gotten in the last 15-20 years.
Walt Disney's grandniece Abigail Disney (T-H-L) is very critical of her granduncle's media company.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 am

Yeah I saw some of that. She clearly isn't happy.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 am

And this is why I've given up on this forum. You would rather talk about Disney.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:01 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:So if you had access to the wiki, why didn't you correct things?
I believe the error message he quoted meant there was a configuration error, which would have prevented him from even seeing the main page.
I could be wrong...
You are. Ed took it down a few months ago. Tarantino had YEARS to edit the book wiki--I can't remember seeing any more than a few token changes he made when it was still online.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:16 am

EricBarbour wrote:And this is why I've given up on this forum. You would rather talk about Disney.
Well, we didn't want to disappoint Mr. Kumioko by just saying outright that no sane person would ever want to go into business with Mark Levin. Besides, Johnny and Poetlister are "edge cases." Disney is all they really care about...

I'm guessing you want Mr. Tarantino to look over the book because you're worried you might have misidentified some Wikipedia people...? I mean, if you just needed a proofreader and maybe a general-purpose sanity-check, you could have asked me. :evilgrin:

Regardless, from what I gather, the idea of assembling/publishing an essay collection (as opposed to a fully-researched exposé like what you guys were doing) is that it ultimately should require less time investment and personal buy-in to get it finished. It remains to be seen if that's really the case, or if that even helps at all.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:20 am

Wasn't there going to a forum just for those who were going to work on the book? It seemed like a serious endeavor but lost steam. I totally get Eric's frustration. A collection of 20 page max essays is an interesting prospect. Is anything going on behind the scenes? Are the volunteers of the current write ups quietly toiling away at this?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:25 am

rhindle wrote:Wasn't there going to a forum just for those who were going to work on the book? It seemed like a serious endeavor but lost steam. I totally get Eric's frustration. A collection of 20 page max essays is an interesting prospect. Is anything going on behind the scenes? Are the volunteers of the current write ups quietly toiling away at this?
Yes, yes, and... we don't know for certain about the last thing, because we can't actually see what people are doing in their spare time since we shut down our technologically-impossible webcam spying operation after it was exposed by the "Genderdesk Lady."

We would have included you, but you didn't commit to a chapter. (Technically neither did I, but as a Site Admin I get to see everything as a matter of course.)

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:28 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
rhindle wrote:Wasn't there going to a forum just for those who were going to work on the book? It seemed like a serious endeavor but lost steam. I totally get Eric's frustration. A collection of 20 page max essays is an interesting prospect. Is anything going on behind the scenes? Are the volunteers of the current write ups quietly toiling away at this?
Yes, yes, and... we don't know for certain about the last thing, because we can't actually see what people are doing in their spare time since we shut down our technologically-impossible webcam spying operation after it was exposed by the "Genderdesk Lady."

We would have included you, but you didn't commit to a chapter. (Technically neither did I, but as a Site Admin I get to see everything as a matter of course.)
Ok Mr. Sarcasm. I know there's no webcam spying operation, or a Tron like laser pointed behind them threatening to put them in the game grid if they don't get work done. I was just wondering if one of the writers said "hey, I got a few pages done!" That's all. I just wanted yes or no answer. You are much better at that than Arbcom is.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 am

EricBarbour wrote:And this is why I've given up on this forum. You would rather talk about Disney.
This is very challenging to masturbate to.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:38 am

rhindle wrote:I was just wondering if one of the writers said "hey, I got a few pages done!" That's all. I just wanted yes or no answer. You are much better at that than Arbcom is.
Ah, sorry. The answer is "no" - it's still too early for that, I think. But like I say, these things tend to get dropped easily without an "iron hand at the helm," so to speak, and maybe some incentives to go along with it. We'll see what happens, I guess...

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:52 am

If there is a Speshul Sekret subforum for essay-writers, I haven't been told about it. But then I've not actually started on my essay either, since I wasn't sure that Eric Barbour's 'price' for including his content wasn't going to involve me not being allowed to participate. :evilgrin:

Seriously though, I don't have any issue with writing something to the requirements specified in a reasonable timescale, though I would prefer a little clarity regarding the terms under which it is submitted - in particular, if it is going out under my name (or rather, attributed to my pseudonym), I would have to insist on full editorial control. An essay is personal opinion, and not a collaborative project, and I'm not going to submit something just so it can be rewritten by someone else later. Copyediting would be fine of course, and probably necessary, given my tendency to sometimes extend sentences well into cruel and unusual territory, but that's about the limit, if an essay by the Grump is wanted. And beyond that, I'd like some reassurance that my participation isn't going to involve me in a libel suit not of my own making - which might well require that the entire collection is fed to a friendly lawyer for prior scrutiny and approval. These things need clarification, not just for me, but for all potential participants.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:59 am

tarantino wrote:
And how can anyone ever take you seriously when you post shit like this?

Warning: NSFW
What is white and gold and black and blue?

A Wikipedian's penis.

What do Wikipedians use for birth control?

Themselves.

A snail is heading home from work, very late one night. He gets mugged by an arbitrator. The policeman says "Can you describe the guy?" The snail says "I don't know . . . it all happened so fast. But he did smell like Ho-Hos."

What do Rich Farmbrough and a high class prostitute have in common?

They both stop working after you piss on them.

What is the difference between a Wikipedia administrator and a proctologist?

A proctologist only deals with one asshole at a time.

What is the worst part about eating SlimVirgin's pussy?

Putting the diaper back on.

What's the difference between Arbcom and menstrual blood?

I can't gargle with Arbcom.

What's the best part of fucking Molly White?

She tastes like nigger.

What's the difference between MONGO and a trampoline?

You don't wear a strap-on when you jump on a trampoline.

How do you get a teenaged patroller to stop reporting you to SPI?

Give him a blowjob. It'll be his first.

What is the difference between a mansion and a 10 year old Wikipedia roads nerd?

I have never been inside a mansion.

What do you call the worthless flesh around a pussy?

Jimbo Wales.
Before your baby died, what did you often fantasize it would become?

Mark Pellegrini's gigantic scrotum.
What does Fred Bauder's pussy taste like?

Depends!

What is the best part about having sex with Andrea James in the shower?

You can slick her hair back and pretend she is 8. Or just suck her severed dick.

Why did God create Jimmy Wales?

So women will know what it's like to live with an irritating cunt.

What did Jayjg say to your dead baby?

Jayjg only fucked your dead baby. He didn't say much.

What turns a Fae into a vegetable?

AIDS!
What is better than having sex with a 10 year old Wikipedian?

Having sex with a 5-year-old Wikipedian!

What's the difference between KillerChihuahua and a refrigerator?

A refrigerator doesn't fart when you pull the meat out.
What do you get when you introduce Erik Moeller to a 10-year-old?

An erection.

How do they separate men from boys at the WMF?

With a crowbar.

What's the most popular pick up line at David Shankbone's house?

May I push in your stool?

How do you make a ten year old girl cry twice?

Wipe your bloody cock on her barnstar.

What is black and blue and hates to have sex?

The Wikipedia admin in your basement.

How does a Wikipedia mother know when her daughter is on the rag?

Her son's dick tastes funny.

What do you call Fae in a wheelchair?

RolAIDS.

What's the best part of sex with Ira Matetsky?

Reaching around and pretending it went all the way through.

What's the difference between Russavia and acne?

Acne doesn't come on a boys face until he's 13.

What do a tampon and Orlady have in common?

They're both stuck up cunts.
How do you swat 200 flies at one time?

Hit Oliver Keyes in the face with a frying pan.
What's the difference between David Gerard and his girlfriend?

His girlfriend has a higher sperm count.
What's the difference between Richard Symonds and his girlfriend?

His girlfriend has a bigger dick.
What's so good about a Fluffernutter blow-job?

You know she'll swallow.

Wanna hear a joke?

Jayjg's foreskin.

How many Wikipedians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None, they just sit in the dark and bitch on IRC.

What do you get when you cross Elonka with the Pillsbury dough boy?

A red headed bitch with a yeast infection.

What were the best four years of Beeblebrox's life?

Sixth grade.
KillerChihuahua, Elonka, and Fluffernutter decide to check their daughters' bags. All 3 of them found condoms in the respective bags.

Elonka was stunned and said : "We're a catholic family, It is a sin to have premarital sex."

Fluffernutter said "Its good to see my girl is using protection, because prevention is better than cure!"

KillerChihuahua said: "OH MY GOD, MY DAUGHTER HAS A PENIS".
How can you tell which admin is the highest-ranking?

The one with the dirty knees. And the cum in his mouth.
What do you call 50 Wikipedia admins in a room with 50 lesbians?

A hundred people who won't do dick!
What's the difference between David Gerard and a hurricane?

You can't rip the eye out of a hurricane and skull-fuck it.
How do you make FT2 fuck a woman?

Put her in a dog costume.
FEEL the warmth of Haily T. Fogelquist's genitals

(as soon as you pull your head out of Newyorkbrad's ass)
Ed's soft spot for you is very hard to rationalize.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:13 am

Ah, I see someone subscribes to the Truly Tasteless Jokes (T-H-L) manual of humor.

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:02 pm

tarantino wrote:
tarantino wrote:

A Wikipedian's penis.

Themselves.

A snail is heading home from work, very late one night. He gets mugged by an arbitrator. The policeman says "Can you describe the guy?" The snail says "I don't know . . . it all happened so fast. But he did smell like Ho-Hos."

She tastes like nigger.

What is the difference between a mansion and a 10 year old Wikipedia roads nerd?

Jimbo Wales.

Depends!

You can slick her hair back and pretend she is 8. Or just suck her severed dick.

AIDS!

An erection.

With a crowbar.

RolAIDS.

You know she'll swallow.

Wanna hear a joke?

Jayjg's foreskin.

Sixth grade.
KillerChihuahua, Elonka, and Fluffernutter decide to check their daughters' bags. All 3 of them found condoms in the respective bags.

Elonka was stunned and said : "We're a catholic family, It is a sin to have premarital sex."

Fluffernutter said "Its good to see my girl is using protection, because prevention is better than cure!"

I can say I don't take what some of Eric says seriously partially due to that. These jokes are just...unfunny. Some are just gross. Eric, I enjoyed your posts about Reddit, cities, quite a lot about Wikipedia, etc, on WO but I can see why Tarantino doesn't care much for you.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Well, personally I do talk about other things, but people frequently tell me to STFU about my ban, about abusive admins, about bullies on Wikipedia, POV pushers, etc.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Of course, this is standard Wikipedia policy. If anyone points out an error, you just shout SOFIXIT.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:53 am

tarantino wrote:
tarantino wrote:

A Wikipedian's penis.

Themselves.

She tastes like nigger.

Jimbo Wales.

Depends!

AIDS!

An erection.

With a crowbar.

RolAIDS.

You know she'll swallow.

Wanna hear a joke?

Jayjg's foreskin.

Sixth grade.

I fed that into the transformer, and it continued the thought with:
A young girl sees her dad wearing a short hair shirt, and she gets worried. He keeps walking, and soon she sees him in the bathroom. She tells a friend, "I have a friend named Charlie who keeps walking around wearing short hair."

Who was the friend at 16? They were friends because he was working. After they graduated from high school, they were classmates in middle school at the same elementary school. Both girls were friends.

Who is "I have a friend named Charlie"? She is a 16-year-old at the age of 14 and she was working.

It makes no sense. She had friends. She met her best friend's family. That's enough to get in her head and keep writing letters to Dad.

If we're being generous, even if she's a "babysitter," her best friend in sixth grade probably went to high school with Charlie and maybe also with some of the other children as well. But why? How would the letters about Charlie and her other friends make her think of anyone else, other than her parents?

This is the classic example of a double standard: One parent may think there's no difference between a teen who wears short hair because she's a babbler and one who does because she wants to express herself a bit more. But if they're writing letters to their

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

I'm so very happy that you find this shitshow amusing. Where were you from 2011 to 2014 when Ed, Andreas, myself and others were compiling that giant mountain of unreadable mental-illness displays? Realistically, what I have basically covers 2001 to 2011 in considerable detail, and assorted major issues (mostly focusing on WMF internal chaos) from 2011 to 2017. I stopped updating after that because it was obvious that no one gives a damn. JImbo and his little fanboy gang won the war of hearts and minds, and the rest of us lose.

Do you remember the ugly little mess produced by Alan Dershowitz back in 2005? He unquestionably edited his own BLP. And when someone tried to clean it up, he contacted Jimbo directly, who rolled over and wagged his tail "YESSIR YESSIR" and thence ordered his minions to insure Dershowitz's article contained no "questionable information". I bet $100 a legal threat was made.

Alan Dershowitz is STILL being "sanitized" today. And still makes only the briefest mention of his first wife Sue Barlach, the divorce, and her suicide (?). Funny how I mentioned this on the WS forum today, and within a couple of hours, someone added it to the WP article. But you still have to go elsewhere to read the full story. (There are people who suspect Barlach was murdered. In many circles, the mere mention of the name "Alan Dershowitz" produces a hellstorm.)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... s-advocate

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =908720560

Not to mention the slowly building shit-river over Dershowitz's longtime friendship with Jeffrey Epstein. Also not mentioned in the WP article, until VERY recently. This SHOULD have been a scandal but hardly anyone even noticed. The editor who fought with Jimbo over that, Xed, was a real troublemaker. The focus of two deeply evil 2005 arbitrations, after which Xed was permab& by Jimbo himself. One petty bastard (with a fan club) banning another. Jayjg, Fred Bauder, SlimVirgin and various other familiar handles were deeply involved here. So where's the history of THAT? Or even the public discussion?
Honestly even if you only have detailed notes to 2011 we could easily find more than enough information from that point to current to fill several chapters. Gamergate, Frammageddon, the waste of money behind the software failures, editors who are now in prison or became active shooters, etc. there are tons and tons of things to include.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Obviously, if Eric wants to help in furthering the cause of Wikipedia criticism, we'll be immensely grateful. If he doesn't, no doubt Jimbo wil be greatly relieved.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Some of us ARE working on our essays. I already have the basis for mine from a forum post years ago, I'm currently reworking it into a proper essay. Most of my work will be expanding it. But the deadline is quite a way off and I'm still waiting to see how we're supposed to share our content. I won't have anything to share early as I do have a full time job and a fairly active social life.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm

The basis of mine is a series of posts that were supposed to be destined for my blog but never seemed to be quite right, which I am now making into something that actually resembles part of a book. :B'
Globally banned after 7 years.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 am

Glad to learn of the progress. Please ask the mod to be added to the "secret forum." Also, as a question to WO in general, is there anyone planning to attend Wikimania who is willing to distribute some book flyers about the project?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:19 am

For clarification, who exactly is it is supposed to be contacted about this 'secret forum'?

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:28 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:For clarification, who exactly is it is supposed to be contacted about this 'secret forum'?
Midsize Jake is the one who created it, so I think it's him who should be contacted about it.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:28 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:For clarification, who exactly is it is supposed to be contacted about this 'secret forum'?
I think if you are someone besides auggie, and express interest in contributing, Jake will add you.