Mangoe quits

Ming
the Merciless
kołdry

Mangoe quits

Unread post by Ming » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:09 pm

"Retired" banner has been up for a while, but there's been no edits since November and only a couple since mid-October.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Re: Mangoe quits

Unread post by Dysklyver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm

But without Mango, who will deal with the User:Mangoe/Somali stubs (T-H-L) project. :blink:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Unless I missed it, this looks like a drama-free retirement. People quit doing things that used to interest them all the time, I don't see anything super relevant about this instance.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Dysklyver wrote:But without Mango, who will deal with the User:Mangoe/Somali stubs (T-H-L) project. :blink:
Yes, he was a very fine editor and his loss definitely affects the overall quality of editing. On that page, he didn't get round to noting that Isiraac (T-H-L) was deleted as he had requested.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:People quit doing things that used to interest them all the time, I don't see anything super relevant about this instance.
And besides, most of the other WP folks are still pretty pissed off about his attempt to look "clever" by spelling "Mango" with an "e" at the end.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:People quit doing things that used to interest them all the time, I don't see anything super relevant about this instance.
And besides, most of the other WP folks are still pretty pissed off about his attempt to look "clever" by spelling "Mango" with an "e" at the end.
Compaired to the figgurs in currant US politic's, Quail looked quiet the state's man their.
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 am

Beeblebrox wrote:I don't see anything super relevant about this instance.
I expect that folks here found it somewhat relevant because Mangoe, along with a few others, has a history of addressing 'issues' raised on this site at en.wiki. Mangoe seems to me to be a good editor, and should be missed if the 'retirement' is permanent.

Hi Mangoe, if you're reading - I hope all is well. :wave:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm

I guess we might attribute this as a departure aggravated by the civility wars...

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =866134132
Mangoe wrote:"The discussion shows that civility here is a lost cause.''' — Of course saying "f_ off" is uncivil. There's no body language or other nonverbal cues to mitigate the rude, crude dismissal that it is meant to be. "Context" is simply "it's OK for me to be rude this time," which means that it's OK to be uncivil, and that's really what the argument is about. Apparently the rule really is that people who have the power to back up their anger get to be nasty to other people (who after all deserve it) and people who lack that power can be chucked out for expressing the same sort of anger. If blunt, blatant profanity isn't uncivil, then nothing is uncivil. [[User talk:Mangoe]] 13:53, 28 October 2018 (UTC)

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

The idea that nothing is uncivil ought not to be such a surprise to anyone, and neither should the idea that profane isn't a synonym of uncivil. Such muddled thinking!

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Of course, treating foul language as uncivil and hence punishable can be regarded as censorship, which is supposed to be forbidden.

I don't suppose Mangoe is the same person as this Mangoe.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Poetlister wrote:I don't suppose Mangoe is the same person as this Mangoe.
Unlikely, since that's an actual bird, but he could be the same person who misspelled the word in the IMDb listing. Unless it was misspelled in the actual movie credits, in which case he could be same person who did that, unless the bird's name was actually was spelled with an "e" at the end, in which case he could be the bird owner/wrangler, or barring that, the person who taught the bird owner/wrangler how to spell the names of various tropical fruits.

We just don't know.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Poetlister wrote:I don't suppose Mangoe is the same person as this Mangoe.
Unlikely, since that's an actual bird, but he could be the same person who misspelled the word in the IMDb listing. Unless it was misspelled in the actual movie credits, in which case he could be same person who did that, unless the bird's name was actually was spelled with an "e" at the end, in which case he could be the bird owner/wrangler, or barring that, the person who taught the bird owner/wrangler how to spell the names of various tropical fruits.

We just don't know.
I choose to belive it is. He's a bird. After so much pecking at the keyboard he'd had enough. It all adds up.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 am

Beeblebrox wrote:I choose to believe it is. He's a bird. After so much pecking at the keyboard he'd had enough. It all adds up.
He flew off to warmer climes. :B'
Globally banned after 7 years.