Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Mancunium
Habitué
kołdry

Autodidacts Anonymous

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Wikipedia enthusiasts convene at Berkeley edit-a-thon
The Daily Californian, 22 September 2013 link
For some, Wikipedia is just an online resource. For others who dub themselves “Wikipedians,” however, the site represents a community, a hobby — or a way to pass a weekend afternoon, as many did at the Berkeley Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on Saturday.

About 20 people from across Northern California attended the event at the Central Berkeley Public Library downtown, coming together to not only edit and create Wikipedia articles but to also learn from each other. The event was part of a worldwide outreach initiative called Wikipedia Loves Libraries, which centers around Open Access Week, a global event held in October to support open access for research.

The edit-a-thon was as much a practice session for new Wikipedians as a time for experienced Wikipedians to start new projects. Attendees ranged from experts who have been editing for 10 years to beginners editing for the first time.

“It is really cool to use things that I know and be able to put them on Wikipedia,” said UC Berkeley graduate student Shreyas Patankar, who helped organize the event. “Part of the purpose of these events is to focus on topics that are not well-covered.”

The Wikipedian community, full of self-taught experts on subjects ranging from mushrooms to mountaineering, consists of volunteers who enjoy researching and sharing the information they find with the general public.

There’s a permanence to Wikipedia editing,” said Jim Heaphy, a Napa Valley resident who has edited hundreds of articles and started more than 60 articles since he joined in 2009. “Coming up with something of value for someone else who might be researching the topic … (creates) a great feeling of satisfaction.”

Heaphy, similar to many other Wikipedians, began editing due to his interest in a specific topic — in his case, mountaineering. Going through the Wikipedia pages, he found that many well-known mountain climbers did not have Wikipedia articles, so he started contributing.

Now Heaphy has branched out to write about topics ranging from politics to historical restaurants.

But just like any other hobby, editing Wikipedia articles first requires some practice. As Patankar explained, the process of becoming a full-fledged editor typically begins with doing simple copy edits on Wikipedia articles, though new users can begin by adding content and references to articles if they choose to do so.

Jorge Vargas, a legal intern for the Wikimedia Foundation, had not edited before Saturday’s event and chose articles from his home country, Colombia, to edit.

“It’s overwhelming, but it’s also very fun,” Vargas said. “It will take a while to learn, but hopefully I’ll get it soon.”

Though a date has not been set yet, the Wikipedians hope to hold another edit-a-thon in Berkeley next month.

There’s more work to be done than has been done so far,” said UC Berkeley alumnus Kevin Gorman. “Nothing in Wikipedia is ever really done.”
My name is John, and I'm a Wikipedian.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Autodidacts Anonymous

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:31 pm

When I see a photo like that, I wonder why they feel the need to assemble in person, in groups, when the positioning of the participants tells me that they're doing things quite independently, without collaboration. Things they could have just as easily accomplished at home, via webinar, without burning gas to come to the central location. When I combine this thought with the fact that the WMF board once jetted all the San Francisco-based trustees over to Berlin, to hold a board meeting there, Wikipedians must love global warming.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:40 pm

thekohser wrote:When I see a photo like that, I wonder why they feel the need to assemble in person, in groups, when the positioning of the participants tells me that they're doing things quite independently, without collaboration. Things they could have just as easily accomplished at home, via webinar, without burning gas to come to the central location. When I combine this thought with the fact that the WMF board once jetted all the San Francisco-based trustees over to Berlin, to hold a board meeting there, Wikipedians must love global warming.
If I were to guess, based on that photo, I'd wager that this might be the only relatively intimate personal interaction with other humans that many of these people get.

Hell, there are even girls in the same room.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Two appear to be a couple, she's wanting to know when the fuck she can leave, guy in blue on right is facebooking, woman on the apple has just looked up images of toothbrushes. The two nearest the screen seem to be having a WTF are we supposed to do now moment. The two nearest the toilets are uploading photos of their todgers. The woman on the table with them is getting increasingly irritated by the puerile conversation, and the woman at the desk on her own is being ignored by the rest.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Mancunium
Habitué

A safe place to write Wikipedia articles

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Wikipedia Edit-a-thons Begin Oct. 12
UCR Libraries to host events that will teach Inland residents, campus students, scholars and staff to write entries for online encyclopedia
UCR Today, 2 October 2013 link

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — UC Riverside Libraries will host three Wikipedia edit-a-thons this fall during which Inland residents and university students, scholars and staff may make use of library resources to write articles for the free, online encyclopedia.

The first of the all-day edit-a-thons is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Box lunches will be provided for preregistered participants. Free parking will be available for community residents who preregister. Email carolem@ucr.edu to register for each of the three dates. Additional edit-a-thons are scheduled Oct. 26 and Nov. 23.

Veteran Wikipedia editor Adrianne Wadewitz will attend the Oct. 12 event and teach participants how to write articles that are polished and designed to face fewer challenges for accuracy and neutrality. Wikipedia trainers will attend each edit-a-thon.

[... WP born of a virgin, died for our sins, &c. ...]

“Participants can write about any topic, not just ones we suggest,” Mandeville-Gamble said. “This will be a safe place for people to learn to write Wikipedia articles, receive feedback, make their articles more ‘bullet proof,’ use citation tools and information boxes, and effectively utilize images. Our libraries have tremendous resources that can enhance Wikipedia articles, particularly those that relate to our unique collections and local history.”
Riverside,_California (T-H-L) City of Arts & Innovation

Last edited by Smiley on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace lost image
former Living Person

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Re: A safe place to write Wikipedia articles

Unread post by Bielle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Mancunium wrote:
“Participants can write about any topic, not just ones we suggest,” Mandeville-Gamble said. “This will be a safe place for people to learn to write Wikipedia articles, receive feedback, make their articles more ‘bullet proof,’ use citation tools and information boxes, and effectively utilize images. Our libraries have tremendous resources that can enhance Wikipedia articles, particularly those that relate to our unique collections and local history.”
Riverside,_California (T-H-L) City of Arts & Innovation
I wonder if they teach VE?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 pm

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — UC Riverside Libraries will host three Wikipedia edit-a-thons this fall during which Inland residents and university students, scholars and staff may make use of library resources to write articles for the free, online encyclopedia.

The first of the all-day edit-a-thons is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Box lunches will be provided for preregistered participants. Free parking will be available for community residents who preregister. Email carolem@ucr.edu to register for each of the three dates. Additional edit-a-thons are scheduled Oct. 26 and Nov. 23.
If I were homeless in Riverside, I'd preregister, show up at about 11:45 AM, say "Sorry I'm late", grab my free lunch, then edit Jimmy Wales (T-H-L) to change "co-founder" to "lesser co-founder", then leave at 12:18 PM.

Return and repeat on October 26th and November 23rd.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 pm

thekohser wrote:

If I were homeless in Riverside, I'd preregister, show up at about 11:45 AM, say "Sorry I'm late", grab my free lunch, then edit Jimmy Wales (T-H-L) to change "co-founder" to "lesser co-founder", then leave at 12:18 PM.

Return and repeat on October 26th and November 23rd.
I'm pretty sure the "box lunches" are just a trick to lure innocent people into the library, where they will be subjected to unspeakable indignities until the police are finally able to break the doors down.
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:26 am

Have any of you ever actually been to Riverside? One of the worst shitholes in Southern California, with the added bonus of hosting
massive new housing developments during the last 20 years---many, if not most, of them sold with subprime mortgages.
When the 2008 crisis hit, whole neighborhoods became slums, overnight. Plus inadequate municipal water and sewer systems.

All you need do is point and laugh.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Brattleboro, Vermont hosts Wikipedia contribution program

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:26 pm

Ever start research with Wikipedia? Learn to contribute the footnotes and references which increase the reliability and accuracy of Wikipedia articles. Wikipedia’s strength is in the references that support it. Librarians, researchers and information seekers can help improve Wikipedia and make it a better resource for everyone. The annual #1lib1ref campaign (1lib1ref.org) asks every librarian and information seeker to add a reference to Wikipedia, to help ensure that Wikipedia’s information is backed by reliable research.
linkhttp://www.sentinelsource.com/hub/news/ ... ba544.html[/link]
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

BrillLyle
Regular
Wikipedia User: BrillLyle
Actual Name: Erika Herzog

Re: Brattleboro, Vermont hosts Wikipedia contribution progra

Unread post by BrillLyle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Ever start research with Wikipedia? Learn to contribute the footnotes and references which increase the reliability and accuracy of Wikipedia articles. Wikipedia’s strength is in the references that support it. Librarians, researchers and information seekers can help improve Wikipedia and make it a better resource for everyone. The annual #1lib1ref campaign (1lib1ref.org) asks every librarian and information seeker to add a reference to Wikipedia, to help ensure that Wikipedia’s information is backed by reliable research.
linkhttp://www.sentinelsource.com/hub/news/ ... ba544.html[/link]
Sorry but #1Lib1Ref is a pimple on the ass of trying to get librarians to edit Wikipedia. I think it's a highly publicized and yet invariably poorly deployed initiative. It has Jake Orlowitz's fingerprints all over it. Smells of Art+Feminism bulltwaddle to me (i.e., very publicity-focused, very incompetent, not really caring about helping people learn how to edit, just focused on initiative).

But I am probably a very harsh view person. Few outreach initiatives except the folks in Wales seem to be effective.

- Erika
#bitter

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm certainly not endorsing or recommending this. I just report that it's happening to help us see what's going on in the wonderful wacky WMF world.

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I would imagine that it's the most exciting thing ever to have happened in The One and Only Brattleboro.

Poetlister
Genius

Springfield, Greene County librarians add to Wikipedia

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 am

The next Wikipedia article you read could have been edited by a Springfield-Greene County Library District staff member. The library district recently participated in a campaign to add references to Wikipedia pages that lack sufficient citations. In all, five library employees contributed to 33 articles during the celebration of the online encyclopedia's birthday, called #1Lib1Ref. Some staffers will continue to bolster Wikipedia articles in their spare time, like Sean Haupt, library assistant at the Park Central Branch Library. The English Wikipedia had 380,000 statements that needed citations at the beginning of the campaign; 210,000 articles had no references at all, according to the #1Lib1Ref web page.
Springfield News-Leader

Yes, that's what the article says. Of the 210,000 articles or 380,000 statements flagged as needing references (and who knows how many unflagged), they contributed to 33 articles.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Springfield, Greene County librarians add to Wikipedia

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 am

Poetlister wrote:
The next Wikipedia article you read could have been edited by a Springfield-Greene County Library District staff member. The library district recently participated in a campaign to add references to Wikipedia pages that lack sufficient citations. In all, five library employees contributed to 33 articles during the celebration of the online encyclopedia's birthday, called #1Lib1Ref. Some staffers will continue to bolster Wikipedia articles in their spare time, like Sean Haupt, library assistant at the Park Central Branch Library. The English Wikipedia had 380,000 statements that needed citations at the beginning of the campaign; 210,000 articles had no references at all, according to the #1Lib1Ref web page.
Springfield News-Leader

Yes, that's what the article says. Of the 210,000 articles or 380,000 statements flagged as needing references (and who knows how many unflagged), they contributed to 33 articles.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Re: Springfield, Greene County librarians add to Wikipedia

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:17 pm

It's all in the Bible. "Behold, the nations are as a drop in a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance. Behold, the isles are as a mote in weight." - Isaiah 40:15.