Arbitrator mocks Trump in April 1st Signpost: BLP issue?

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Jbhunley
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jbhunley

Re: Arbitrator mocks Trump in April 1st Signpost: BLP issue?

Unread post by Jbhunley » Tue May 31, 2016 5:53 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:
Jbhunley wrote:Those are some good ideas, however first you must establish that the community has the *authority* to recall Arbcom members. So long as they are nominally appointed by Jimbo there is no basis for recall as the community has no authority over them since *they did not actually elect them*.
Jimbo didn't appoint the current arbs. As far as I am aware, he hasn't 'ceremonially' announced the new arbs for at least two years. I may be wrong, so go and look and see if you can find anything in his contributions indicating that he announced the arbs elected after the December 2014 and December 2015 elections. In fact, try and find the last time he carried out this ceremonial role. The Arbitration Policy only says that the arbitrators are appointed, not who does that. The community very definitely is the entity doing the election now and has been for some time.
Carcharoth is right here. The last time Jimbo did his ceremonial role of Arb notifications was linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =581005646[/link] back in 2013.
That is good. I would still suggest that
WP:ELECTIONS#Arbitration Committee wrote: Traditionally, elections to the Arbitration Committee only advise Jimbo on who to appoint, and have not thus far been binding, Jimbo being free to appoint other people to the committee, and not to appoint those elected.
and
WP:ARBCOM/History#Selection Process wrote: Since then, arbitrators have been appointed based on the results of annual advisory elections. In the past, Jimbo has not considered himself bound by the results of the elections and has stated that he will not appoint candidates with less than 50% support. Nevertheless, he has generally appointed arbitrators from among the candidates with the highest percentages of positive votes.
be amended to make the documentation comport with practice. Otherwise some rules lawyer - or Jimbo - can step in and cause all sorts of mischief.

--Jbh
When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.—The question is, said Alice, whether you can make words mean so many different things—The question is, said Humpty, which is to be master—that's all.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 pm

What is to prevent a rewrite of the arb election/recall process from the ground up?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TheWordsmith
Contributor
Wikipedia User: The Wordsmith
Wikipedia Review Member: None

Unread post by TheWordsmith » Tue May 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Vigilant wrote:What is to prevent a rewrite of the arb election/recall process from the ground up?
It was ratified at the Sole F(l)ounder's mandate, and can only be rewritten using the amendment process already baked into it. It isn't bound by local consensus because that would be chaos.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue May 31, 2016 6:16 pm

TheWordsmith wrote:
Vigilant wrote:What is to prevent a rewrite of the arb election/recall process from the ground up?
It was ratified at the Sole F(l)ounder's mandate, and can only be rewritten using the amendment process already baked into it. It isn't bound by local consensus because that would be chaos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _amendment
Ratification and amendment

Once adopted by the Committee, this policy will undergo formal ratification through a community referendum and will enter into force once it receives majority support, with at least one hundred editors voting in favour of adopting it. Until this policy is ratified, the existing arbitration policy remains in effect.

Amendments to this policy require an identical ratification process. Proposed amendments may be submitted for ratification only after being approved by a majority vote of the Committee, or having been requested by a petition signed by at least one hundred editors in good standing.
The Committee is responsible for formulating its own processes and procedures under this policy, which do not require ratification
Offer an amendment. "This process is hereby superseded in its entirety by xxxxx"
Get 100 editors and a simple majority.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TheWordsmith
Contributor

Unread post by TheWordsmith » Tue May 31, 2016 6:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:
TheWordsmith wrote:

Once adopted by the Committee, this policy will undergo formal ratification through a community referendum and will enter into force once it receives majority support, with at least one hundred editors voting in favour of adopting it. Until this policy is ratified, the existing arbitration policy remains in effect.

Amendments to this policy require an identical ratification process. Proposed amendments may be submitted for ratification only after being approved by a majority vote of the Committee, or having been requested by a petition signed by at least one hundred editors in good standing.
The Committee is responsible for formulating its own processes and procedures under this policy, which do not require ratification
Offer an amendment. "This process is hereby superseded in its entirety by xxxxx"
That's more or less what would have to be done. A complete rewrite would never get that kind of support, though. Simple unambiguous things like correcting the 2/3 of active non-abstaining arbs are best to get the ball rolling and create momentum for the bigger changes.

Ethics reform is a tough pill to swallow - just look at the attempt to get Single-payer healthcare in the US. Editors aren't going to go for a huge omnibus proposal that claims to solve all their problems. What needs to be done is to start with some small changes, show the community that they're helping, and then they'll be willing to support bigger ideas from the same people. The ideas I haven't posted publicly are too significant to pass unless I either have a track record of reform, and/or get elected to Arbcom and have a wider audience, and can even propose internal changes without the need for ratification.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 pm

I think a good place to start is to look at what does the Arbcom do well (if anything) and what do they need to improve.

Certainly eliminating the unnecessary committees a few months ago streamlined the process a bit, but I would suggest more improvements are needed.

For example:
* No secret cases.
* All requests for unblock/unban go to UTRS or to the community upon request and if a given amount of time has passed unless the block or ban was initiated by the Arbcom. The Arbcom should not be involved in blocks or bans including topic bans they did not participate in.
* They should be required to publish metrics of offline deliberations, what they were for and what the determination was. They don't need to say who it was for or give significant details, but I frankly am a little tired of the we are really busy dealing with stuff offline BS.

They probably get a lot of spam so certainly that can be excluded and they have a lot of folks on autoignore/autotrash for their email. I seriously doubt the volume of work is that significant and the community should be aware of how many block request they receive and how many are denied.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Tue May 31, 2016 9:53 pm

Mandatory admin reviews (with defrocking sanctions on the table). Conducted every 2 years and only admins vote. That should keep the dickheads on their toes and get rid of the capital A crowd.

DHeyward
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: DHeyward

Unread post by DHeyward » Tue May 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Vigilant wrote:
TheWordsmith wrote:

You would need 100 editors voting "Yes" or the "No" votes will game out of the process. Why be the 100th voter if your vote is "No?" Like all good ArbCom processes, the only votes come on the last day (I call it "Assume Good Faith Day"). Both groups of "yes" and "no" wait until there are 100 yes votes, then the "No's" swamp in. Timing is everything.

evangeliman
Contributor
Wikipedia User: evangeliman
Actual Name: Stephen Gann

Unread post by evangeliman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:38 am

Earthy Astringent wrote:Mandatory admin reviews (with defrocking sanctions on the table). Conducted every 2 years and only admins vote. That should keep the dickheads on their toes and get rid of the capital A crowd.
Why on earth would you give Administrators a reason to band together for problems that include an administrator and a regular editor?

evangeliman
Contributor

Unread post by evangeliman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 am

DHeyward wrote:You would need 100 editors voting "Yes" or the "No" votes will game out of the process. Why be the 100th voter if your vote is "No?" Like all good ArbCom processes, the only votes come on the last day (I call it "Assume Good Faith Day"). Both groups of "yes" and "no" wait until there are 100 yes votes, then the "No's" swamp in. Timing is everything.
I am rather certain that the purpose of that piece of ArbPol is to require a massive bit of momentum to build before serious discussion on the change begins.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:39 am

evangeliman wrote:
Earthy Astringent wrote:Mandatory admin reviews (with defrocking sanctions on the table). Conducted every 2 years and only admins vote. That should keep the dickheads on their toes and get rid of the capital A crowd.
Why on earth would you give Administrators a reason to band together for problems that include an administrator and a regular editor?
Because opening it up to everyone would make it a shit show. Arbcom is fucking useless. Let the admins self police, it can't get any worse.

TheWordsmith
Contributor

Unread post by TheWordsmith » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:31 pm

DHeyward wrote:You would need 100 editors voting "Yes" or the "No" votes will game out of the process. Why be the 100th voter if your vote is "No?" Like all good ArbCom processes, the only votes come on the last day (I call it "Assume Good Faith Day"). Both groups of "yes" and "no" wait until there are 100 yes votes, then the "No's" swamp in. Timing is everything.
What last day? There's absolutely nothing in the policy that expresses a time limit, or even requires it to follow the RFC format. Just like US constitution amendments, there is no time limit on ratification unless the proposed amendment specifically lists one.
evangeliman wrote:I am rather certain that the purpose of that piece of ArbPol is to require a massive bit of momentum to build before serious discussion on the change begins.
Momentum has been building since this case was accepted.

Jbhunley
Critic
Wikipedia User: Jbhunley

Unread post by Jbhunley » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:49 pm

TheWordsmith wrote:
What last day? There's absolutely nothing in the policy that expresses a time limit, or even requires it to follow the RFC format. Just like US constitution amendments, there is no time limit on ratification unless the proposed amendment specifically lists one.
evangeliman wrote:I am rather certain that the purpose of that piece of ArbPol is to require a massive bit of momentum to build before serious discussion on the change begins.
Momentum has been building since this case was accepted.
Yes, it has, at least among the dramaratti. What the, perhaps mythical, quiet content creators think or even if they care is more of a question since, by definition, they are never heard from.

Much like voting the graves in Chicago politics, I anticipate the sock drawer vote will be high. I bet there are people who could pass the changes all by themselves. The wording of the amendment process - "editors in good standing" - does not even allow for 500/30 protection of the voting page. :popcorn:

--Jbh
When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.—The question is, said Alice, whether you can make words mean so many different things—The question is, said Humpty, which is to be master—that's all.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 am

The Gamaliel Arbcom has closed with the following result:
1. Gamaliel is admonished for multiple breaches of Wikipedia policies and guidelines including for [[WP:POINT|disrupting Wikipedia to make a point]], [[WP:CSD|removing a speedy deletion notice from a page he created]], [[WP:ASPERSIONS|casting aspersions]], and perpetuating what other editors believed to be a [[WP:BLP|BLP violation]].

2. DHeyward and Gamaliel are indefinitely prohibited from [[WP:IBAN|interacting with or discussing each other]] anywhere on Wikipedia, subject to the [[WP:BANEX|usual exemptions]].

3. DHeyward is admonished for engaging in incivility and personal attacks on other editors. He is reminded that all editors are expected to engage respectfully and civilly with each other and to avoid making personal attacks.

4. For conduct which was below the standard expected of an administrator — namely making an incivil and inflammatory close summary on ANI, in which he perpetuated the perceived BLP violation and failed to adequately summarise the discussion — JzG is admonished.

5. Arkon is reminded that [[WP:EW|edit warring]], even if [[WP:3RRNO|exempt]], is rarely an alternative to discussing the dispute with involved editors, as suggested at [[WP:CLOSECHALLENGE]].

6. The community is encouraged to hold an RfC to supplement the existing [[WP:BLPTALK]] policy by developing further guidance on managing disputes about material involving living persons when that material appears outside of article space and is not directly related to article-content decisions.
So I guess we'll have a sitting Arb under an interaction ban.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:06 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:The Gamaliel Arbcom has closed with the following result:
1. Gamaliel is admonished for multiple breaches of Wikipedia policies and guidelines including for [[WP:POINT|disrupting Wikipedia to make a point]], [[WP:CSD|removing a speedy deletion notice from a page he created]], [[WP:ASPERSIONS|casting aspersions]], and perpetuating what other editors believed to be a [[WP:BLP|BLP violation]].

2. DHeyward and Gamaliel are indefinitely prohibited from [[WP:IBAN|interacting with or discussing each other]] anywhere on Wikipedia, subject to the [[WP:BANEX|usual exemptions]].

3. DHeyward is admonished for engaging in incivility and personal attacks on other editors. He is reminded that all editors are expected to engage respectfully and civilly with each other and to avoid making personal attacks.

4. For conduct which was below the standard expected of an administrator — namely making an incivil and inflammatory close summary on ANI, in which he perpetuated the perceived BLP violation and failed to adequately summarise the discussion — JzG is admonished.

5. Arkon is reminded that [[WP:EW|edit warring]], even if [[WP:3RRNO|exempt]], is rarely an alternative to discussing the dispute with involved editors, as suggested at [[WP:CLOSECHALLENGE]].

6. The community is encouraged to hold an RfC to supplement the existing [[WP:BLPTALK]] policy by developing further guidance on managing disputes about material involving living persons when that material appears outside of article space and is not directly related to article-content decisions.
So I guess we'll have a sitting Arb under an interaction ban.
Gamaliel resigned already.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:35 am

In accepting his resignation they thanked him for his service.

"Thanks moron"

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 am

Earthy Astringent wrote:In accepting his resignation they thanked him for his service.

"Thanks moron"
More like

I think they were just glad they didn't have to pull the trigger themselves.

EthicalWikiUser
Contributor

Unread post by EthicalWikiUser » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:14 am

I hope that means resignation as sysop because it's in that capacity that he's done by far the most damage to the project.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:22 pm

Vigilant wrote: Gamaliel resigned already.
Oops... shows how much I pay attention! LOL

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 pm

EthicalWikiUser wrote:I hope that means resignation as sysop because it's in that capacity that he's done by far the most damage to the project.
Though he "Retired" on May 27, he is still listed as having administrator rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... p&limit=50

Who wants to place wagers on how long before he comes back?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:52 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
EthicalWikiUser wrote:I hope that means resignation as sysop because it's in that capacity that he's done by far the most damage to the project.
Though he "Retired" on May 27, he is still listed as having administrator rights

He's probably already back under a new account name.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:01 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:

He resigned his ARBCOM position, they took his CU/OS rights and he kept his admin bit, which, I admit, makes little sense.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:42 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:

Smells like a new thread. I'm going with Labor Day.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Vigilant wrote:He resigned his ARBCOM position, they took his CU/OS rights and he kept his admin bit, which, I admit, makes little sense.
It's not unprecedented. It's more or less what happened with FT2, although that was done behind the scenes.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Well that was a complete waste of time.

Incidentally, isn't that the second time that JzG has been admonished, or did I imagine that?

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Black Kite wrote:Incidentally, isn't that the second time that JzG has been admonished
Yes.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Kingsindian wrote:
Black Kite wrote:Incidentally, isn't that the second time that JzG has been admonished
Yes.
Has a sitting Arb ever been admonished before? (OK, he was technically no longer an Arb by the time it was delivered.)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:55 am

Poetlister wrote:
Kingsindian wrote:
Yes.
Has a sitting Arb ever been admonished before? (OK, he was technically no longer an Arb by the time it was delivered.)
I don't recall how the Elen of the Roads situation panned out but that comes to mind as a possibility. Not sure there was ever a case about her though.

RfB

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:27 am

What did she do?

evangeliman
Contributor

Unread post by evangeliman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:37 am

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:09 am

I don't remember the exact details but as I recall there were some arbs who were lying and/or misrepresenting some events and she called attention to it. Of course that put her in hot water.

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:10 am

I hate to say it (just kidding...I don't), but I told ArbCom to decline the case. They have nobody else to blame but themselves for this idiotic outcome.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:23 am

Kingsindian wrote:I hate to say it (just kidding...I don't), but I told ArbCom to decline the case. They have nobody else to blame but themselves for this idiotic outcome.
Yeah I agree and said the same thing. The Arbcom just wasted everyone's time including theirs because they never had any intention of doing anything about their fellow arb. In fact they went far out of their way to direct the heat on others and severely limited the scope of the case to eliminate the possibility of someone being able to establish a long term pattern of conduct.

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:37 am

I should say that I don't really have a problem with the outcome, just that they wasted a few weeks on nothing except admonishments and made themselves look foolish in their justifications.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:13 am

evangeliman wrote:She leaked Arbcom emails.
Your formulation is inexact and could be misleading.

Arbcom had failed to maintain security, and earlier its mailing lists were leaked (by somebody called Malice Afterthought on Wikipedia Review).

Elen mentioned to a non-arbitrator outrageous threats made by arbitrator JClemens---imagine KWW (unwanted here) without his social graces and with a "House of Cards" approach to politics---threats that had declared an intention to go public with his ultimatums, to put pressure on the other arbs. Apparently Elen quoted a few lines from one of his rants.

In short, Elen's sharing a few quotes from JClemens's emails, which had declared an intention to make his ultimatums known to voters, to a trusted friend was not "leaking emails".
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:21 am

Jclemens 'threats' were hardly outrageous. Arbcom would have been a better place if that whole mess had become public.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
evangeliman wrote:She leaked Arbcom emails.
Your formulation is inexact and could be misleading.

Arbcom had failed to maintain security, and earlier its mailing lists were leaked (by somebody called Malice Afterthought on Wikipedia Review).

Elen mentioned to a non-arbitrator outrageous threats made by arbitrator JClemens---imagine KWW (unwanted here) without his social graces and with a "House of Cards" approach to politics---threats that had declared an intention to go public with his ultimatums, to put pressure on the other arbs. Apparently Elen quoted a few lines from one of his rants.

In short, Elen's sharing a few quotes from JClemens's emails, which had declared an intention to make his ultimatums known to voters, to a trusted friend was not "leaking emails".
Thanks for clarifying.
Anroth wrote:Jclemens 'threats' were hardly outrageous. Arbcom would have been a better place if that whole mess had become public.
For once I totally agree with you. There is so much back alley discussions and secret deliberations and decision making with the Arbcom no one can reasonably argue it's a fair, unbiased or working process. I wish someone would leak their secret wiki. I bet there is a lot of info in there about what the Arbcom is really about and what they really think about people in the community.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&page=User%3AVordrak:
19:51, 5 June 2016 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) changed block settings for Vordrak (talk | contribs) with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation blocked, email disabled, cannot edit own talk page) (clarify this block can only be appealed to ArbCom)
19:49, 5 June 2016 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) deleted page User:Vordrak (Ugh, I didn't delete this before? Sorry.)
This is interesting timing. Did Vordrak (mistakenly) see the admonishment of Gamaliel as vindication for what he (Vordrak) did nearly a year ago and asked to be unblocked, only to be told to speak to ArbCom instead?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&page=User%3AVordrak:
19:51, 5 June 2016 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) changed block settings for Vordrak (talk | contribs) with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation blocked, email disabled, cannot edit own talk page) (clarify this block can only be appealed to ArbCom)
19:49, 5 June 2016 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) deleted page User:Vordrak (Ugh, I didn't delete this before? Sorry.)
This is interesting timing. Did Vordrak (mistakenly) see the admonishment of Gamaliel as vindication for what he (Vordrak) did nearly a year ago and asked to be unblocked, only to be told to speak to ArbCom instead?
Vordrak is mentally ill.
Intuiting what his thought processes might be is a futile quest.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Besides that the Arbcom doesn't approve bans after just a year. It's usually only after 3 or more years that they approve any requests for unban.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:24 pm

When I was in the military, we gave out "admonishments" when we wanted the discipline to be purposely ironic.

milowent
Critic
Wikipedia User: milowent

Unread post by milowent » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Kingsindian wrote:I should say that I don't really have a problem with the outcome, just that they wasted a few weeks on nothing except admonishments and made themselves look foolish in their justifications.
the case existed to provide drama and entertainment for people who don't really like to edit in mainspace. anyone who looks back and says "this was a good use of my time" is lying, but the same could be said for binge watching Game of Thrones.
Explosive Chemistry!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Cla68 wrote:When I was in the military, we gave out "admonishments" when we wanted the discipline to be purposely ironic.
The fact that Arb Com stands for "Arbitration Committee" rather than "Arbitrary Committee" seems ironic enough...

RfB

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:When I was in the military, we gave out "admonishments" when we wanted the discipline to be purposely ironic.
The fact that Arb Com stands for "Arbitration Committee" rather than "Arbitrary Committee" seems ironic enough...

RfB
Really what this case showed is the continuing pattern of ineptitude, laziness and complacency displayed by the Arbcom routinely in past cases. There should be no reason for surprise by anyone in the results and most of us called out exactly what would happen before the case was even accepted.

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Kumioko wrote: Really what this case showed is the continuing pattern of ineptitude, laziness and complacency displayed by the Arbcom routinely in past cases. There should be no reason for surprise by anyone in the results and most of us called out exactly what would happen before the case was even accepted.
I followed one arbitration case closely, and the members of the arbcom didn't read the evidence carefully, never did anything by the deadline they were supposed to follow, and didn't seem to care very much about the outcome as much as they seemed to care about keeping their position and status by repeating platitudes about the purpose of Wikipedia. I would guess that was a continuing pattern, otherwise someone might have got angry about the whole thing.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:07 am

trout wrote:
Kumioko wrote: Really what this case showed is the continuing pattern of ineptitude, laziness and complacency displayed by the Arbcom routinely in past cases. There should be no reason for surprise by anyone in the results and most of us called out exactly what would happen before the case was even accepted.
I followed one arbitration case closely, and the members of the arbcom didn't read the evidence carefully, never did anything by the deadline they were supposed to follow, and didn't seem to care very much about the outcome as much as they seemed to care about keeping their position and status by repeating platitudes about the purpose of Wikipedia. I would guess that was a continuing pattern, otherwise someone might have got angry about the whole thing.
They never read it carefully if they bother to read it at all. Most cases are decided off the initial submission only. They never perform due diligince, they don't go research (or think) for themselves and they always take the lazy approach.

They are mostly children with no experience in arbitration or any type of policy or legal work (with very rare exception) and they are lazy and don't take the job seriously.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:12 am

trout wrote:
Like every other ARBCOM case.

Hey WMF,

When are you going to see reason and hire some experienced people to takeover this mess?

Your friend,
Vigilant.
P.S. Try to hire someone with actual relevant experience.

CoffeeCrumbs
Critic

Unread post by CoffeeCrumbs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 pm

Vigilant wrote:
trout wrote:
Like every other ARBCOM case.

Hey WMF,

When are you going to see reason and hire some experienced people to takeover this mess?

Your friend,
Vigilant.
P.S. Try to hire someone with actual relevant experience.
Hiring competents would take valuable funds away from one of Wikimedia's most important pillars: box socials for the socially awkward.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm

With his Arbcom case now over, the prospect of opining about which of his friends should get WMF $$$$$$$ has brought former Arb and current member of the WMDC Board Gamaliel back from his self-imposed exile on the Isle of Angst. More or less on schedule...

linkhttps://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special ... s/Gamaliel[/link]

He thinks, among other things, that Arbcom needs "Adult Supervision." Ummmm, yeah, right.

linkhttps://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... d=15713753[/link]

RfB

milowent
Critic
Wikipedia User: milowent

Unread post by milowent » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Explosive Chemistry!