How to start a thread on Wikipediocracy

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

How to start a thread on Wikipediocracy

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Different people like to start different kinds of threads here at Wikipediocracy. Having been a co-founder from the start, and having witnessed excellent threads that circulate on and on for days, as well as abominable threads that (unfortunately) circulate on and on for months, I would like to share with you some tips on how to more effectively create new threads on this message forum.

1. Check for previous discussions of the same topic - If you are ready to create a new thread, take an extra 20 seconds to use the Search tool in the middle of the menu bar, to check and see if there isn't already an existing thread about your topic. If there's already an existing thread that would suitably accommodate your post, then post it there as a "Reply", rather than as a new thread.

2. Don't be angry about some injustice that just happened to you on Wikipedia - We understand that bad things happen to good people on Wikipedia. If you're here just to whine about what happened to you, and as soon as you get that problem resolved (or avenged) you're just going back to faithfully editing Wikipedia and you're out of the Wikipedia-criticism business, then maybe you ought to think against posting a new thread on Wikipediocracy. Your natural environment may be Wikipedia, not here. If you still insist on creating a new thread to discuss your personal trauma on Wikipedia, then please proceed to Item 3.

3. Don't be angry about some injustice that just happened to your buddy on Wikipedia - See Item 2, then proceed to Item 4.

4. Make a compelling and readable thread Subject - Pretend you are writing for a newspaper, and you need a quick and informative headline. You can get a little cute with how you turn a phrase, and even a pun might be enjoyable once in a while. But for heaven's sake, please don't title your thread with something vague and meaningless like "Here we go again ..." or "This sounds oddly familiar..." or "Any thoughts on this thread?" (All of these were actual examples of thread Subjects here. All of them force the reader to open the thread to determine if the thread has any relevance at all to what the reader may be interested in. So don't do that to the readers.) Bonus points for correct spelling and proper grammar. Demerits for overblown headlines that exaggerate reality. If your Subject line ends in a question mark, think twice about the wisdom of that, too.

5. Categorize your thread in the correct folder - We have a number of different thematic folders in the Board index. Try to figure out which one will be the best fit for your new thread. For example, if your thread is about Jimmy Wales, it should probably go in the Jimboland folder. Threads about Jimbo are usually my favorites; but other readers are not so fond of them. So that's why we have folders -- to help readers find what amuses them, and avoid what bothers them.

6. Avoid a lifeless wall of text - Your opening post in a new thread has the opportunity to visually stimulate the new reader, or it could put the reader to sleep. A wall of text will generally put the reader to sleep or even turn the reader against the very thing you are trying to advocate. Try to work some color or boldness (or both!) into your story. Use line breaks or bullets or numbered lists to make your message more appealing. (Or ap-peeling... :banana: )

There are probably some other advisories that you should follow (like, do we really need another off-topic thread about world politics? or an on-topic one about social justice warriors?). But let's face it -- if you follow only the six recommendations shown above, you'll be making Wikipediocracy a much better place!

Sincerely,

G. Kohs
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: How to start a thread on Wikipediocracy

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 pm

+1

t

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:13 am

I believe that this forum's software is capable of being able to show a preview of the OP when mousing over a thread's name in a forum. I believe that it is called "thread preview."

MMAR
Banned
Wikipedia User: Mighty Morphin Army Ranger

Unread post by MMAR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:00 pm

A few more sub-forums in the Wikipedia/Wikimedia forum wouldn't go amiss. While it might not stop 'Here we go again' type posts altogether, it might at least prompt people to think about which category of criticism it falls under, if any, and by extension lead to more informative titles.

I would even go so far as eliminating entirely the possibility of a 'general discussion' thread to prevent completely off topic threads even beginning. A legit WPO thread topic about Wikipedia/Wikimedia will always fall under one broad sub-category, even if that means having meta-ish sub-forums like 'Future of Wikipedia'.

I think there's even scope now to start separating out a Wikipedia, Wikimedia and WMF related threads into their own forums, with sub-fora. There's a lot that can be done, board organisation wise, to fix the problems described here.

AnimuAvatar
Critic

Unread post by AnimuAvatar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:37 am

Where would I start a meta thread? As in criticism/commentary on WPO itself, feature requests, bug reports, or such matters. I'm thinking in the Offtopic section but I'm not sure.
>greentext
>on a Wikipedia criticism board
ishygddt

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:58 am

AnimuAvatar wrote:Where would I start a meta thread? As in criticism/commentary on WPO itself, feature requests, bug reports, or such matters. I'm thinking in the Offtopic section but I'm not sure.
I started one for you : linkviewtopic.php?f=13&t=7003[/link]

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

AnimuAvatar
Critic

Unread post by AnimuAvatar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:06 am

Zoloft wrote:
AnimuAvatar wrote:Where would I start a meta thread? As in criticism/commentary on WPO itself, feature requests, bug reports, or such matters. I'm thinking in the Offtopic section but I'm not sure.
I started one for you : linkviewtopic.php?f=13&t=7003[/link]
Ah, that works. Thank you.
(I don't have anything off the top of my head that would work in that thread unfortunately, but I'll think of something soon™)
>greentext
>on a Wikipedia criticism board
ishygddt

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Saving this accurate bit from another (now locked) thread:
sparky wrote: As far as I can tell, the [WPO] house POV is that discussion of what is right or wrong with Wikipedia is fair game as long as you don't cross one of a few lines.

* Don't disrupt conversation by turning every thread into a discussion about what happened to you.

* Don't disrupt conversation by posting long diatribes when short and concise messages would suffice.

* If you can't take someone questioning your position without becoming a giant ass, you are going to have a bad time.

I may have missed a line or two but that's what I've noticed so far.
To which was added:
Vig wrote: * Try to be funny every once in a while.
Not bad work...

RfB

WikiNative
Wikipedia User: Essayist1
Actual Name: James Lawrie

Unread post by WikiNative » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:39 pm

So how does one start a thread? I am definitely in the Wikipedia criticism business and want to get involved.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm

:welcome: You'll soon get used to it. :)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche