December 2014 Arbitration Committee Elections

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
The Joy
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

December 2014 Arbitration Committee Elections

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:50 am

Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2014 (T-H-L)

It is that time again. Nominations open on Sunday, November 9th. Who will stay? Who will stand? Who will scream?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: December 2014 Arbitration Committee Elections

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:59 am

The Joy wrote:Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2014 (T-H-L)

It is that time again. Nominations open on Sunday, November 9th. Who will stay? Who will stand? Who will scream?
This time, if anyone here is running for Arbcom under a different name, please PM me so I can get the sandbags ready.
Edit: Only two. Reasonable.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Nominations are open now; keep an eye on Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2014/Candidates (T-H-L). Nobody has signed up as yet.

What do they do if there are less applicants than vacant seats?
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Peryglus wrote:Nominations are open now; keep an eye on Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2014/Candidates (T-H-L). Nobody has signed up as yet.

(Channeling Greg): fewer.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Peryglus wrote:Nominations are open now; keep an eye on Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2014/Candidates (T-H-L). Nobody has signed up as yet.

Actually, ArbCom applicants are like "dirt" or "trash", so less may be the correct usage here.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:21 pm

thekohser wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:

Actually, ArbCom applicants are like "dirt" or "trash", so less may be the correct usage here.
The Arbcom has degraded their own reputation so badly we re likely to either see very few applicants, the usual cast of clowns and characters or a few that think things are bad and want to try and change it. Historically, these don't fare so well. Personally, I hope too few applicants apply and it seals the fate of the Arbcom. They have become a hindrance to the project and it needs to be abolished. They don't take the job seriously, it attracts the worst possible editors who only want to improve their own standing and power in the community and use it as a resume builder. WTT is completely surrounded by children and fools.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Kumioko wrote:WTT is completely surrounded by children and fools.
Well, not children. One must be 18+ to apply.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Peryglus wrote:
Or be willing to lie about being 18+.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
I think the Foundation have some way of requiring identification before admitting you onto the committee, even if you get all the votes.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Peryglus wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
I think the Foundation have some way of requiring identification before admitting you onto the committee, even if you get all the votes.
Easily gamed. Just fake up an ID with a false birthdate (might as well use a false name while you're at it). They don't validate the IDs they get, or even keep copies of what they receive. And Wikimedia Legal has advised repealing the policy.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
Easily gamed. Just fake up an ID with a false birthdate (might as well use a false name while you're at it). They don't validate the IDs they get, or even keep copies of what they receive. And Wikimedia Legal has advised repealing the policy.
:jawdrop: Is there a link to this somewhere?

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 pm

mac wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
Jawdrop. Is there a link to this somewhere?
It's surprising to most decent people. "Director of Community Advocacy" Philippe Beaudette, in charge of receiving the identifications mandated by the WMF before according access to personally-identifiable editor data (IPs etc.) to otherwise anonymous administrators flouted and ignored that for years, shredding the identification faxes and secure-deleting the emailed scans. He would read them so far as to see that the document showed a birthdate that would make the administrator 18 or over, and then he put a checkmark by the administrator's username on a chart.

What this meant of course was that the WMF lied to editors for years. It claimed it had identified these people. Does what Beaudette did really mean that? Not at all. It was giving access to user data to wholly unidentified administrators. Betrayal of common editors, but it was appealing to the Arbcom and WP:ANI/ANI-style administrators and the checkusers and so forth. "We know who you are, you don't get to know who we are."

Then someone, the female lawyer at WMF legal (I forget her name right now) noticed this and said "hmm... we are effectively lying to people, violating our own usage terms, and this could possibly be a legal problem for us down the road." She wanted to make Beaudette start doing his job, identifying the checkusers and arbs and so forth. But instead that low scummy dirtbag Geoff Brigham Esq. (chief counsel WMF) said, "well wait, we'll just remove the requirement that those we grant access to the private data of editors identify themselves to us." Brilliant right? Oh, it's horrendous to the privacy of the common users, because WMF is exposing them to, essentially, MMORPG gamers that will "investigate" them to their sick stalkerish delight. But it did have the advantage of not lying to users anymore. So the trustees, especially SJ Carden, voted in favor of changing the WMF terms.

Why didn't they just tell that little prick Philippe "start filing those identifications in a safe? Like you're supposed to? Or we will fire you?" Well, would have to get inside Brigham's mind to understand that one really, but I'd venture to say that it's a deliberate Sergeant Schulz of Hogan's Heroes TV show "Vee know nothingk! NOTHINGK!" approach meant to stymie lawsuit subpoenas that meant to find out who these vile entities are. Like the stewards that recently used their tools to identify and prank-phonecall some woman, laugh at her on IRC, and actually take a train trip to eyeball her home. (FACT.)
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

mac wrote:Is there a link to this somewhere?
There's a semi-hidden talkpage where this is discussed routinely.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ac ... ion_policy

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Always improving...

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:First Candidate! Technical 13 (T-C-L) Not an admin. Gnome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =628254169
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2014/Candidates/Technical_13/Statement
As a 35 year old father of three, I consider myself level-headed person that likes to get all the facts before making decisions. I've been known to be stubborn in my pursuit of finding out information, and it's gotten me into trouble I'll admit, but I'd think that to be a good quality for any arbitrator to make sure they have all the facts before making decisions.
He has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm barred from voting. As a parent of three, I would expect him to know ways of revolving issues besides the usual "ban, ban, ban, sanction, sanction, sanction." As a digger of information, even if the digging results in trouble, I can't help but feel sympathy towards him. That said, I don't expect him to win. The Wikipedians won't elect a non-sysop to ArbCom.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:First Candidate! Technical 13 (T-C-L) Not an admin. Gnome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =628254169
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2014/Candidates/Technical_13/Statement
As a 35 year old father of three, I consider myself level-headed person that likes to get all the facts before making decisions. I've been known to be stubborn in my pursuit of finding out information, and it's gotten me into trouble I'll admit, but I'd think that to be a good quality for any arbitrator to make sure they have all the facts before making decisions.
He has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm barred from voting. As a parent of three, I would expect him to know ways of revolving issues besides the usual "ban, ban, ban, sanction, sanction, sanction." As a digger of information, even if the digging results in trouble, I can't help but feel sympathy towards him. That said, I don't expect him to win. The Wikipedians won't elect a non-sysop to ArbCom.
I agree and I would vote for him myself. I supported his last RFA as I recall as well but you have to be in the club to learn the secret handshake. One doesn't just learn the secret handshake without being a member of the club first. Besides, the Arbcom wouldn't accept him anyway even if the community did and would put all sorts of restrictions on what they had access too. He would like Anakin when he got elected by the emperor to be on the Jedi Council. I still have my fingers crossed that there won't be enough candidates and the Arbcom collapses due to a failure to establish a quorum but there are still plenty of abusive admins who are power hungry to run.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Eric Corbett says he might run for Arbcom (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =633679220).

Well, he does seem to say it in jest. "What's the pay like? I might consider it if the money is good."

Now, quasi-monetary rewards might be in store, because arbs have the inside track for charity-paid junkets to the latest great Wikimania locations (did I hear the next one is in gay Paris?) as well the lesser gatherings throughout the year.

If it appealed to Eric, he'd probably have some leeway to go around unblocking abused content editors. I think the policies say a majority of arbs are required in a formalized decision to kick out one of their own. Has it happened ever? In the case of arb-elect Mason who was revealed to be an insider at Wikipediocracy, they were going to try it, but I'm not sure they'd have been able to get that majority.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Triptych wrote:Eric Corbett says he might run for Arbcom (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =633679220).

Well, he does seem to say it in jest. "What's the pay like? I might consider it if the money is good."

Now, quasi-monetary rewards might be in store, because arbs have the inside track for charity-paid junkets to the latest great Wikimania locations (did I hear the next one is in gay Paris?) as well the lesser gatherings throughout the year.

If it appealed to Eric, he'd probably have some leeway to go around unblocking abused content editors. I think the policies say a majority of arbs are required in a formalized decision to kick out one of their own. Has it happened ever? In the case of arb-elect Mason who was revealed to be an insider at Wikipediocracy, they were going to try it, but I'm not sure they'd have been able to get that majority.
Eric running would be very interesting... Obviously, he'd get clubbed like a harp seal in the balloting — but it would make for a zesty campaign.

RfB

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Randy from Boise wrote: Eric running would be very interesting... Obviously, he'd get clubbed like a harp seal in the balloting — but it would make for a zesty campaign.
Zesty, yes. Riotous, yes. It also seems to me it's unrealistic for all the reflexive "no" votes he'd get, but then again it's commonly said that he has a huge number of allies and supporters, sufficient for example to make him very block-resistant to the latest administrative jackass throwing his weight around.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Eric's campaign slogan could be : We need more weasels on ARBCOM!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Vigilant wrote:Eric's campaign slogan could be : We need more weasels on ARBCOM!
:rotfl:
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

snowskarlet
Critic
Wikipedia User: Fylbecatulous

Unread post by snowskarlet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote: He has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm barred from voting. As a parent of three, I would expect him to know ways of revolving issues besides the usual "ban, ban, ban, sanction, sanction, sanction." As a digger of information, even if the digging results in trouble, I can't help but feel sympathy towards him. That said, I don't expect him to win. The Wikipedians won't elect a non-sysop to ArbCom.
I will happily vote for Technical 13 on the basis of his counting his female cat as a daughter. :cat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Technical_13#Hi:
Vigyani, I can certainly see how that would be confusing. I have a cat, my userpage is a more casual environment than a candidate's statement page for ArbCom, and I love my cat like a daughter, so I counted her as a daughter at the time. I've adjusted the count on my userpage to be clear. Of my other children, My son is 17, my older daughter is 16, and my youngest just turned 3. I believe you can see images of my children (and my cat) on my FaceBook page if you so desired. Happy editing! — {{U|Technical 13}} (e • t • c) 16:22, 13 November 2014 (UTC)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Triptych wrote:Eric Corbett says he might run for Arbcom (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =633679220).

Eric running would be very interesting... Obviously, he'd get clubbed like a harp seal in the balloting — but it would make for a zesty campaign.

RfB
Personally I think it would be a hoot if he got elected. Not that it will happen, but even if it was done as a joke, I would love to see how the Arbcom handles it.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:53 pm

snowskarlet wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote: He has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm barred from voting. As a parent of three, I would expect him to know ways of revolving issues besides the usual "ban, ban, ban, sanction, sanction, sanction." As a digger of information, even if the digging results in trouble, I can't help but feel sympathy towards him. That said, I don't expect him to win. The Wikipedians won't elect a non-sysop to ArbCom.
I will happily vote for Technical 13 on the basis of his counting his female cat as a daughter. :cat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Technical_13#Hi:
Vigyani, I can certainly see how that would be confusing. I have a cat, my userpage is a more casual environment than a candidate's statement page for ArbCom, and I love my cat like a daughter, so I counted her as a daughter at the time. I've adjusted the count on my userpage to be clear. Of my other children, My son is 17, my older daughter is 16, and my youngest just turned 3. I believe you can see images of my children (and my cat) on my FaceBook page if you so desired. Happy editing! — {{U|Technical 13}} (e • t • c) 16:22, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
That's ridiculous. I hope you don't vote like that in real political elections.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:08 am

snowskarlet
Critic

Unread post by snowskarlet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 am

Peryglus wrote:
snowskarlet wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Candidates
While I may have nominated myself by accident, I am not taking it any less serious than any other candidate should. I believe that those candidates that wait until the last couple days or hours have something to hide as they are intentionally giving the community less time to ask questions and get to know them. I'm working my way through the questions I have received so far, and some of them are taking more thought and consideration than others, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to answer them and hope more candidates step up to the plate sooner than later. — {{U|Technical 13}} (e • t • c) 01:39, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
I consider this editor a valid candidate. Why not? Last year I consulted the voter guides, read all questions, studies histories, made a chart and did it the algorithm way and duly voted in the strictness seriousness. What did I get? The only candidate I really trusted was 28bytes (T-C-L). And has the other lot turned out to be so stellar? Won't get fooled again...

So this year, I may as well pick animal, children and family lovers. I consider that much love for a cat a compassionate quality; and I need there to be a least a bit of compassion on Wikipedia, for myself during this next year.

Sidereal
Critic

Unread post by Sidereal » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 am

Forcing Eric to serve as an arbitrator while he also served out a 12 month ban handed down by the previous arbcom seems eminently more fitting a punishment for 8 years worth of assholery than simply a year's rest and recuperation.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 am

If David Gerard runs again I have a few questions for him that he declined to answer last year.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:25 am

Um...the candidates page is looking rather empty. As of now, there's only five days left, and if no good candidates step up to run, we'll end up with a pretty small ArbCom. --Biblioworm 22:59, 13 November 2014 (UTC)

Are you surprised? --Gerda Arendt (talk) 23:52, 13 November 2014 (UTC)

This is pretty normal for this point in the nominations process. For whatever reason, most people don't like to put their names forth any earlier than they have to; the vast majority of nominations, especially those for "serious" candidates who planned ahead, will come in the last 24 hours nominations are open - probably more than a few in the last one hour. That's not to say that if anyone's interested, they shouldn't be throwing their hat in now if they want, but every year there's no candidates for a time and every year it makes people nervous, and every year we end up filling the committee just fine after all. A fluffernutter is a sandwich! (talk) 23:55, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
The current nominations are running 9 November 2014 until 18 November 2014. The 2013 nominations ran from 10 November 2013 to 19 November 2013. The current run has attracted two candidates by today, 14 November, which is the equivalent of 15 November last year. By 15 November last year, it had attracted 7 candidates.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:15 am

snowskarlet wrote:
Peryglus wrote:
snowskarlet wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Candidates
While I may have nominated myself by accident, I am not taking it any less serious than any other candidate should. I believe that those candidates that wait until the last couple days or hours have something to hide as they are intentionally giving the community less time to ask questions and get to know them. I'm working my way through the questions I have received so far, and some of them are taking more thought and consideration than others, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to answer them and hope more candidates step up to the plate sooner than later. — {{U|Technical 13}} (e • t • c) 01:39, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
I consider this editor a valid candidate. Why not? Last year I consulted the voter guides, read all questions, studies histories, made a chart and did it the algorithm way and duly voted in the strictness seriousness. What did I get? The only candidate I really trusted was 28bytes (T-C-L). And has the other lot turned out to be so stellar? Won't get fooled again...

So this year, I may as well pick animal, children and family lovers. I consider that much love for a cat a compassionate quality; and I need there to be a least a bit of compassion on Wikipedia, for myself during this next year.
Animal lovers? I think you want FT2.

Meanwhile, if you think Technical13 is being honest, I have a bridge for you...
-----------
Notvelty

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Notvelty wrote:Meanwhile, if you think Technical13 is being honest, I have a bridge for you...
http://www.centralmaine.com/2012/09/08/accused-admits-assaulting-same-woman-again_2012-09-07/ (in the bulleted list towards the bottom):
* Donald J. Fortier II, 33, of Augusta, [Maine,] operating while license suspended or revoked May 19 in Augusta; 48-hour jail sentence, credit for time served, $500 fine.
Thirty-three in 2012 would mean that the "Donald J. Fortier II" mentioned in the article was born in 1979, the same year that Wikipedia's Donald J. Fortier II (Technical_13) claims to be born in. Technical_13 lists Maine as his current location and the University of Maine Augusta as his current college on his userpage. Same birth year, same middle initial, same city, same state. Any connection? Or a strange coincidence?

Sorry for trusting what I saw at first glance; I wasn't interested in researching him until Notvelty brought up the challenge.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:48 pm

The Adversary wrote:Panic?
Like others say at your link there, despite only two candidates so far, I feel confident there will be several more very soon. Most of the arbs whose terms are running out I bet will run again. Worm is probably going to run again. That was actually a disastrous side effect of Eric Corbett's musing about running. Worm had said he was tired and fed up with it and wouldn't run, but then Eric said Eric might run, and instantly Worm reverses gears and says, basically, "yahoo, if it's you and me on there Eric, then I'm in again." Blah. Go away Worm you little skunk, don't rescind your retirement promises.

Beeblebrox, the one-year candidate from last election (I think he picked up the last half of Nuclearwarfare's term?) is bound to reannounce. Who else among them's term is expiring? Timotheus Canens? Well, he's pretty efficient locally-caching the mailing list database and storing personal copies of the checkuser logs, and so forth, which he's no doubt going to keep. He'll be done with that but I'll figure he'll run again too. Newyorkbrad has been touting his retirement for months, after all he's been the faux Chief Justice at that fake Supreme Court of fools for years, so he can go rest on his pretend laurels and figure out some other way to embarrass his real-life legal profession, other than presiding over these fantastically hilarious month-long events like Tarc ending up banned from Jimbo's talkpage for edit-warring (momentous jurisprudence there, you maroon). But I expect Brad as well is going to have a last-minute decision to run again.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Triptych wrote:
Like others say at your link there, despite only two candidates so far, I feel confident there will be several more very soon. Most of the arbs whose terms are running out I bet will run again. Worm is probably going to run again. That was actually a disastrous side effect of Eric Corbett's musing about running. Worm had said he was tired and fed up with it and wouldn't run, but then Eric said Eric might run, and instantly Worm reverses gears and says, basically, "yahoo, if it's you and me on there Eric, then I'm in again." Blah. Go away Worm you little skunk, don't rescind your retirement promises.

Beeblebrox, the one-year candidate from last election (I think he picked up the last half of Nuclearwarfare's term?) is bound to reannounce. Who else among them's term is expiring? Timotheus Canens? Well, he's pretty efficient locally-caching the mailing list database and storing personal copies of the checkuser logs, and so forth, which he's no doubt going to keep. He'll be done with that but I'll figure he'll run again too. Newyorkbrad has been touting his retirement for months, after all he's been the faux Chief Justice at that fake Supreme Court of fools for years, so he can go rest on his pretend laurels and figure out some other way to embarrass his real-life legal profession, other than presiding over these fantastically hilarious month-long events like Tarc ending up banned from Jimbo's talkpage for edit-warring (momentous jurisprudence there, you maroon). But I expect Brad as well is going to have a last-minute decision to run again.
Worm left a note on his talk page that he is not intending to run again and NewYorkBrad has also indicated he will not rerun, so we shall see what we get. Maybe Jimbo? Or Eloquence?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Triptych wrote:

Worm left a note on his talk page that he is not intending to run again and NewYorkBrad has also indicated he will not rerun, so we shall see what we get. Maybe Jimbo? Or Eloquence?
Nothing but beebles and gorrillas left on ARBCOM.
Hasten the day!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Notvelty wrote:Meanwhile, if you think Technical13 is being honest, I have a bridge for you...
http://www.centralmaine.com/2012/09/08/accused-admits-assaulting-same-woman-again_2012-09-07/ (in the bulleted list towards the bottom):
* Donald J. Fortier II, 33, of Augusta, [Maine,] operating while license suspended or revoked May 19 in Augusta; 48-hour jail sentence, credit for time served, $500 fine.
Thirty-three in 2012 would mean that the "Donald J. Fortier II" mentioned in the article was born in 1979, the same year that Wikipedia's Donald J. Fortier II (Technical_13) claims to be born in. Technical_13 lists Maine as his current location and the University of Maine Augusta as his current college on his userpage. Same birth year, same middle initial, same city, same state. Any connection? Or a strange coincidence?

Sorry for trusting what I saw at first glance; I wasn't interested in researching him until Notvelty brought up the challenge.
More:

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2002/05/17/courts-709/ (2002)
Donald J. Fortier II, 23, Salisbury, Mass., operating motor vehicle after license suspension, $150.
2002-23=1979 (Technical_13's birth year)

Salisbury is in Essex County, Mass., and Newburyport (where Technical_13 on his userpage claims to have been born and raised) is also in Essex County, Mass.

----

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2007/10/17/courts-2788/ (2007)
Donald J. Fortier II, 28, Belfast, [Maine,] assault, $300.
2007-28=1979 (Technical_13's birth year)

Belfast is in Waldo County, Maine, and according to his MySpace page, Technical_13 once lived in Monroe, which is also in Waldo County, Maine.

----

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2008/09/03/courts-3078/ (2008)
Donald J. Fortier II, 29, Monroe, [Maine,] operating vehicle while license suspended or revoked, $750.
2008-29=1979 (Technical_13's birth year)

Technical_13 lived in Monroe, Maine.

----

If Technical_13 in the person mentioned in all four of these articles, then he has a long criminal record, which includes assault.

Edit: Updating (adding another).
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Triptych wrote: Like others say at your link there, despite only two candidates so far, I feel confident there will be several more very soon. Most of the arbs whose terms are running out I bet will run again. Worm is probably going to run again. That was actually a disastrous side effect of Eric Corbett's musing about running. Worm had said he was tired and fed up with it and wouldn't run, but then Eric said Eric might run, and instantly Worm reverses gears and says, basically, "yahoo, if it's you and me on there Eric, then I'm in again." Blah. Go away Worm you little skunk, don't rescind your retirement promises.
I've no intention of running and know Eric Corbett well enough to believe he wouldn't touch Arbcom with a barge pole.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Lol, I laughed when I saw linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =633774610[/link] the comment made by Ironholds. No Ironholds, but perhaps if they start making good decisions, instead of making changes that strengthen their power and undermine the project, that would be a great start.

I also agree with Turnedworm that it is unlikely to the extreme that Eric would even try, even as a joke. But I still think it would be damn funny if he got elected.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:If Technical_13 in the person mentioned in all three of these articles, then he has a long criminal record, which includes assault.
He sounds more rugged than 99.5% of Wikipedians.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:04 pm

thekohser wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:If Technical_13 in the person mentioned in all three of these articles, then he has a long criminal record, which includes assault.
Technical_13's Wikipedia userpage indicates that his personal life is dysfunctional:
Marital status Single
Girlfriend Available
Children one son, two daughters
Three children (how many mothers?), yet not married or with a girlfriend. Can't commit. Possibly had fights with his former girlfriend(s) (is this how he obtain the assault charge?). Outside of the Internet and role-playing games, Technical_13's life is a mess. The fact that his Twitter page lists his Wikipedia userpage as his homepage says that he doesn't have much going for him outside of Wikipedia. A dysfunction life leads to run-ins with the law.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:13 pm

turnedworm wrote: I've no intention of running and know Eric Corbett well enough to believe he wouldn't touch Arbcom with a barge pole.
He does say "I fully intend to stand for Arb one day, but not this year. Eric Corbett 16:45, 13 November 2014 (UTC)" which sounded sincere and non-jokey to me. And then interestingly this:
FWIW I will add my voice to the "Draft Dennis for Arb" movement. Until I saw this, and the related thread above, I don't think I had ever even been to the Arb page. Color me "disturbed." -Ad Orientem (talk) 16:53, 13 November 2014 (UTC)

Again, I appreciate, but really, I try to avoid Arb, and I'm utterly and completely ignorant of the processes and procedures and it likely shows in the few comments I've made there in the past. They would likely vote me off the island in the first month. ;) Dennis - 2¢ 17:22, 13 November 2014 (UTC)

That's where you and I differ, I'd try to rebuild the island. Eric Corbett 17:48, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
So, jokey? Doesn't look that way to me. Like I said above though, the way the votes are calculated, and the non-representative character of the election (Wikipedians in general don't vote, it's really just the active administrative crowd voting among themselves), so "Eric Corbett for Arbcom" is not a realistic proposition. He could do it to make a statement, or to be a pest, or for his own nefarious and subversive purposes whatever they are, but he too probably recognizes his actually winning is unrealistic.

PS: Is setting explosive charges to sink the island an option?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Triptych wrote:PS: Is setting explosive charges to sink the island an option?
Just continue on with the shitting everywhere on the island and claiming it's art.

snowskarlet
Critic

Unread post by snowskarlet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:

Oh well, another one bites the dust. Perhaps I shall not even bother voting this year... :duck:

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Always improving...

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:01 pm

thekohser wrote:
Wow. We are getting hardcore in our examinations of Arbcom candidates.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Technical_13's Wikipedia userpage indicates that his personal life is dysfunctional:
Marital status Single
Girlfriend Available
Children one son, two daughters
Three children (how many mothers?), yet not married or with a girlfriend. Can't commit. Possibly had fights with his former girlfriend(s) (is this how he obtain the assault charge?). Outside of the Internet and role-playing games, Technical_13's life is a mess. The fact that his Twitter page lists his Wikipedia userpage as his homepage says that he doesn't have much going for him outside of Wikipedia. A dysfunction life leads to run-ins with the law.
:offtopic: This may come as no surprise but I have at least 3 children that I know of as well. All by different women and I wil gladly admit that I was a slut and had a lot of fun in my youth. I don't personally see any of that as a problem, nor a valid critique of an editor. I don't have a problem calling a spade a spade when it comes to conduct on Wikipedia but I think commentary on along these lines is both not appropriate and not necessary. It also doesn't help the reputation of this site when we make comments like this that have no value to the criticism of Wikipedia. Just my 2 cents there.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Kumioko wrote: :offtopic: This may come as no surprise but I have at least 3 children that I know of as well. All by different women and I wil gladly admit that I was a slut and had a lot of fun in my youth.
I trust you supported your children.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:

It was more a response to his excuses about nominating late and the general principle that all wikipedian game players are dishonest about something.
-----------
Notvelty

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Notvelty wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:

It was more a response to his excuses about nominating late and the general principle that all wikipedian game players are dishonest shitheels about something.
FTFY

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:05 am

Triptych wrote:Wow. We are getting hardcore in our examinations of Arbcom candidates.
Someone has to do it, because the people who actually vote for these freaks won't.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... chnical_13

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:18 am

Here's Dusti on youtube from 2011.