Ryulong doing what he does best

AL1
Critic
kołdry
Nom de plume: Fetty Wap

Ryulong doing what he does best

Unread post by AL1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Maybe this is a mistake for a new thread, but I came across something on AN/I which features everyone's old friend Ryulong (T-C-L). I'm loathe to take sides in any wiki-drama, as I know it's almost certain that neither side is "right", however, I think Ryulong might have gone beyond the pale here. Seems a user Nanshu (T-C-L) created articles forked from other larger articles for a number of languages found on Okinawa (such as Tokunoshima language (T-H-L) and Okinoerabu language (T-H-L)) which were short, yet with acceptable-enough sourcing and detail (see linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =628465904[/link], for example). A few days after, Ryulong unilaterally blanked and redirected back to the older articles, with an edit summary citing the languages as a "fringe theory". (Presumably he meant that the existence of the languages is a fringe theory.) Long story short, Nanshu's gone to AN/I and WikiProject Languages and Ryulong's reverting to his old classics; namely, by deflecting legitimate criticism of his actions, and using an old AN/I thread he created as evidence of Nanshu's alleged hostility towards him. On the WikiProject, Ryulong also claimed the articles created represent only "dialects" of the larger languages, and that there is "nothing" online about the languages represented in the new articles:
They may exist in the ISO, but there is nothing online about them until Nanshu's pages got indexed by Google: "Tokunoshima language" gets 14 hits, "Okinoerabu language" is 9, "Yoron language" is 80 for some reason (some appear to be false positives), "Northern Okinawan language" is 11 hits.
...however, if one searches for the spelling used in most of the linguistic scholarship (such as "Toku-No-Shima" and "Oki-No-Erabu"), there are plenty of hits and usable references, such as Oxford's "International Encyclopedia of Linguistics", and the Ethnologue, which despite the organization which creates it's flaws (see SIL_International#Criticism (T-H-L)), is pretty definitive itself as well. Both sources describe Tokunoshima and Okinoerabu as not intelligible with other languages found on Okinawa (the IEL states "inherent intelligibility is generally impossible or very difficult" for both, see linkhttp://books.google.com/books?id=sl_dDV ... &q&f=false[/link]). Some of Ryulong's wiki-friends have come out of the woodwork to get his back, such as Sturmgewehr88 (T-C-L), a name which I almost get physically sick upon typing due to the proximity of a German word with "88", but that's beside the point.

I'm not familiar enough with Ryulong's non-Power Rangers interests, and general tendency towards flame-grilled drama, to know what's really going on here other than his well known and documented copper-bottomed dickitude. From my knowledge of language and ethnic politics, I can imagine that there's plenty of pressure, bordering on cultural genocide, from Japanese nationalists and the like to keep down any acknowledgement of an existence or an identity outside of the mother country's nationhood. (The historical experiences of Welsh, Breton, and Sami people of Europe history can attest to this.) Ryulong might see these articles as a threat to the country which he lionizes, for better or worse, and has become a convert leading the true-born zealots. Or maybe he's just being a straight-up dick, I don't know.

Anyway, this is hardly new behavior from Ryulong, and possibly not extremely noteworthy, but it was something that got me thinking.

(TLDR version: Ryulong's a dick on some articles for regional Okinawan languages...)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Ryulong doing what he does best

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 pm

AL1 wrote:(TLDR version: Ryulong's a dick on some articles for regional Okinawan languages...)
Let me help...

(TLDR version: Ryulong's a dick.)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

AL1
Critic

Unread post by AL1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

thekohser wrote:
AL1 wrote:(TLDR version: Ryulong's a dick on some articles for regional Okinawan languages...)
Let me help...

(TLDR version: Ryulong's a dick.)
Fair enough! No disagreement there from me. My desire for efficiency is continually done in by my weakness towards verbosity.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 pm

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

AL1
Critic

Unread post by AL1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 pm

I'm totally not about to get into this discussion here and now, but does this mean that since I am genuinely concerned about the treatment of Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, I have to agree with Ryulong?

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 pm

AL1 wrote:I'm totally not about to get into this discussion here and now, but does this mean that since I am genuinely concerned about the treatment of Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, I have to agree with Ryulong?
Not really. You can still agree that he is a dick.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:33 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Not really. You can still agree that he is a dick.
And a dick magnet:
Loganmac is one of several dormant accounts who have come to Wikipedia for the express purpose of pushing a point of view on Gamergate controversy (edit | talk | history | links | watch | logs | views), an article that is an area of contention in the video game playing community. I have been terse with him and other editors of this type due to the constant disruption that the article has come under. In addition, my behavior on a completely separate website that has nothing to do with Wikipedia (rather than several IRC channels that are loosely affiliated with Wikipedia) has no bearing on what is happening here, because I was being harassed for several days by the pro-Gamergate crowd because of what I was doing here, and I unfortunately decided to respond to them. Also, I do not see how that "real life identity" thing is of any relevance here. And I did not look up your Twitter and reddit accounts. Someone on the talk page posted links to them after he found out you were purposefully misconstruing what he said him offsite, which is the whole subject of the thread higher up on the notice board. And I did not "dox" anyone. I used the global contributions tool built into the Mediawiki software to see what other accounts Torga possessed on other projects. I have no idea if he possesses an account on Reddit. I was making a blanket statement concerning the several disruptive single purpose accounts that sprang up. This is a frivolous request and a blatant attempt to have me silenced on a topic that Loganmac wants me eliminated from and it should be shut down.—Ryūlóng (琉竜) 08:56, 3 October 2014 (UTC)

Ryulong, you need to be careful here; this thread is about you, not Loganmac. Casting aspersions on other editors will look bad on you rather than help you. You need to answer for your actions here, and you've been less than distant and calm. Please read again WP:COOL and start following it to the letter for a while, it will help everybody involved. Diego (talk) 11:40, 3 October 2014 (UTC)

Are you new here? The behavior of editors who file complaints at ANI can and will be scrutinized just as much as the person they're complaining about. Maybe a boomerang has come back and hit the person with unclean hands. Tarc (talk) 12:47, 3 October 2014 (UTC)

What I meant is that there's an open thread above for Loganmac above, and there's where Ryulong should place his comments on the other editor's behavior. At ANI, attacks are not a good defense, and neither is "...but, but, I've been provoked" a reason for misbehaving. Diego (talk) 13:32, 3 October 2014 (UTC)
P.S. And it certainly doesn't help that Ryulong is the one who filed the thread against Loganmac to begin with. If there are merits for a boomerang, it should be other editors who push for it, not the one being subject to the ANI. This goes for Loganmac too, of course. Diego (talk) 13:52, 3 October 2014 (UTC)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Ryulong is currently living in Okinawa, so he should know, lol. He considers himself a oceanographer, chemist and archeologist and now a linguist.

KendriaP
Contributor
Wikipedia User: 由雅なおは

Unread post by KendriaP » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:12 pm

tarantino wrote:Ryulong is currently living in Okinawa, so he should know, lol. He considers himself a oceanographer, chemist and archeologist and now a linguist.
And a toku show fanboy. :whistle:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:16 pm

AL1, I'm gonna add your comments to our happy little article about Ryu. 100% typical of his personality.

(Even got photos of him! He sure looks silly in crowds of Japanese, a 6'3" curly-haired Jew from Long Island....)

Sturmgewehr88 (T-C-L) is one odd character. A US Army member stationed in Okinawa. Who is obsessed with feudal Japanese history.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 am

Language identity is potentially an explosive controversy, for various social, cultural, and political reasons. So, a debate over whether those languages are dialects or discreet languages is not surprising. Since I know Ryulong, like most wikipedia-addicts, reads this forum (but will never admit it), I will direct my comments at him:

Ryulong, you may or may not be right about the languages. However, whenever someone puts in the time and effort to create or expand an article on any particular topic, it's really, really rude and assholish to revert them in a kneejerk manner. Talk it out. There's no hurry. Reality and society will survive if the text you disagree with stays around for awhile. Why don't you get off the computer for awhile and go to the beach, go snorkling, or surfing, or something like that? Maybe go hit the Churaumi aquarium when it first opens so you can watch the whale sharks and manta rays and reflect in solitude for a few moments? How about it?

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:15 am

Cla68 wrote:Language identity is potentially an explosive controversy, for various social, cultural, and political reasons. So, a debate over whether those languages are dialects or discreet languages is not surprising. Since I know Ryulong, like most wikipedia-addicts, reads this forum (but will never admit it), I will direct my comments at him:

Ryulong, you may or may not be right about the languages. However, whenever someone puts in the time and effort to create or expand an article on any particular topic, it's really, really rude and assholish to revert them in a kneejerk manner. Talk it out. There's no hurry. Reality and society will survive if the text you disagree with stays around for awhile. Why don't you get off the computer for awhile and go to the beach, go snorkling, or surfing, or something like that? Maybe go hit the Churaumi aquarium when it first opens so you can watch the whale sharks and manta rays and reflect in solitude for a few moments? How about it?
I'm pretty sure outdoor fun is off the menu this week.
This is not a signature.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:50 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Language identity is potentially an explosive controversy, for various social, cultural, and political reasons. So, a debate over whether those languages are dialects or discreet languages is not surprising. Since I know Ryulong, like most wikipedia-addicts, reads this forum (but will never admit it), I will direct my comments at him:

I'm pretty sure outdoor fun is off the menu this week.
Serious surfers, from what I understand, say that storm waves are sometimes the best ones. Of course, I'm not trying to suggest that Ryulong go surfing in dangerous water, just that he get out of the house and get involved with an outdoor activity to try to get some perspective.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 am

Cla68 wrote:Of course, I'm not trying to suggest that Ryulong go surfing in dangerous water, just that he get out of the house and get involved with an outdoor activity to try to get some perspective.
Ha ha. Go through the archives of his Twitter or blog. To him, leaving the house to buy junk food at a convenience market is a big deal. Especially since he's a rabid Japanophile, yet doesn't seem to know enough Japanese to converse with the shop clerks.

He's still on Japanese Wikipedia, doing whatever it is he does.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%88%A9% ... 85:Ryulong

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:00 am

EricBarbour wrote:AL1, I'm gonna add your comments to our happy little article about Ryu. 100% typical of his personality.

(Even got photos of him! He sure looks silly in crowds of Japanese, a 6'3" curly-haired Jew from Long Island....)

Sturmgewehr88 (T-C-L) is one odd character. A US Army member stationed in Okinawa. Who is obsessed with feudal Japanese history.
Ryulong sockpuppet?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:08 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:AL1, I'm gonna add your comments to our happy little article about Ryu. 100% typical of his personality.

Ryulong sockpuppet?
Sturmgewehr - German assault rifle.
88 - a number often used as a neonazi abbreviation for 'Heil Hitler.'

Edit: I see he produces a nifty explanation for the suspicious name. But that type of weapon is not a main gun for any tank, and that caliber on that tank was not used for long.

Hrm.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 am

Probably not him.
Not at all a neonazi name.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:21 am

Zoloft wrote:Not at all a neonazi name.
To be fair, 8 (八) is a lucky number in the Sinosphere (including the CJKV Sprachbund), and 88 (八十八) is doubly auspicious. Just an unfortunate juxtaposition with "assault rifle" auf Deutsch to my knowledge.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:48 am

Speaking of Ryulong, Jimbo might be awarding him a barnstar soon, for being the first to accuse someone of being "not here to build an encyclopedia", which Jimbo quite admires as a phrase.

(Actually, Ryulong was beaten to the punch by Dutch doctor, Jfdwolff, who used the phrase "not here to write an encyclopedia" back in late 2005.)

Good research by User:50.144.1.134, who geolocates to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 am

thekohser wrote:Speaking of Ryulong, Jimbo might be awarding him a barnstar soon, for being the first to accuse someone of being "not here to build an encyclopedia", which Jimbo quite admires as a phrase.

(Actually, Ryulong was beaten to the punch by Dutch doctor, Jfdwolff, who used the phrase "not here to write an encyclopedia" back in late 2005.)

Good research by User:50.144.1.134, who geolocates to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!
I think it was in 2007 that David Gerard said on the Wikien mailing list that I wasn't here to build an encyclopedia. I think I had 10 Featured Articles at the time.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:03 pm

thekohser wrote:Speaking of Ryulong, Jimbo might be awarding him a barnstar soon, for being the first to accuse someone of being "not here to build an encyclopedia", which Jimbo quite admires as a phrase.

That information was given 10 minutes on JimboTalk.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Cla68 wrote:

I think it was in 2007 that David Gerard said on the Wikien mailing list that I wasn't here to build an encyclopedia. I think I had 10 Featured Articles at the time.
There could probably be a fairly amusing thread compiled from all the examples of people being told that whenever they say or do something that makes people uncomfortable. Even Commons has its own twist on the phrase.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am

Apparently, Ryulong is a fan of a smartphone game called Puzzle & Dragons (T-H-L).

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I am enjoying the many tearful, hand-wringing, desperate attempts by Ryulong to claim that he's not an asshole, while Jimbo tries to tell him gently that he's no longer needed on Gamergate.

Sparky
Critic

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:09 am

Here's my opinion on what Ryulong does best.

During a recent ANI, Masem (T-C-L)suggested that David Auerbach take his complaint to the General Sanctions page, where a single admin could have imposed sanctions that could be appealed only to Arbcom.

Within two minutes, Ryulong responded to let the masses know that it would be unfair to the n00b to ask that he move his complaint there. The masses did not disagree or offer to assist Auerbach by moving the matter there for him.

Wikilawyer Level: Expert.

Flameau
Contributor

Unread post by Flameau » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Ryulong to be featured on Dramatica for November 21 & 22, 2014. I feel bad about his Gofundme campaign (which worked to get his shit out of Japan), but calling Auerbach a fuckwit and a cockbag are beyond the pale. Rebuked Jimmy thrice and became a COI in the process - right or wrong doesn't matter when you are a prick.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

It seems that Ryulong has ownership issues in the Puzzle & Dragons (T-H-L) article.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:27 pm

He does that on a long list of articles. He needs psychiatric help, not Wikipedia.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 pm

EricBarbour wrote:He does that on a long list of articles. He needs psychiatric help, not Wikipedia.
Truly.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:37 pm

So, Ryulong became active on IrrationalWiki earlier this month. A few days ago he was given sysop powers by David Gerard and today started complaining about another sysop having the tools, started a wheel war by abusing his tools to remove the other sysop's tools and was then the subject of a wheel war over his access to the sysop tools. Here I was just using IrrationalWiki to describe their content, when it clearly describes their overall culture.

- Noam Chomsky

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 pm

See I come out of that thinking 'Why does anyone ever give David Gerard the ability to do anything...anywhere?'

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:39 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:So, Ryulong became active on IrrationalWiki earlier this month. A few days ago he was given sysop powers by David Gerard and today started complaining about another sysop having the tools, started a wheel war by abusing his tools to remove the other sysop's tools and was then the subject of a wheel war over his access to the sysop tools. Here I was just using IrrationalWiki to describe their content, when it clearly describes their overall culture.
I'll save that, thanks. It's a routine occurrence on RW, because it's run by assholes, of course! Ryu will fit right in!

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:59 am

EricBarbour wrote:...
It's a routine occurrence on RW, because it's run by assholes, of course! Ryu will fit right in!
No he won't.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:00 am

It seems to me that to build any online community, the sysops need a reasonable temperment and a good amount of impulse control. Ryūlóng has a very short temper and is not good at dealing with disagreements or the need to compromise. Does not RW already have more than enough sysops to accomplish its mission? Hclodge (talk) 02:43, 29 December 2014 (UTC)

Christ you have a fucking zombie problem here too?—Ryūlóng (琉竜) 02:46, 29 December 2014 (UTC)

Ryūlóng once again proves my point. Hclodge (talk) 02:55, 29 December 2014 (UTC)
Apparently, long-standing RW users are subject to investigation and attack by Ryūlóng if they opine on his sysop status. I can't wait for Ryūlóng to accuse his critics of "not being here to build an encyclopedia."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:13 am

Does David Gerard need another yappy attack dog?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:23 am

Vigilant wrote:Does David Gerard need another yappy attack dog?
The lulz must flow.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 am

I just read all that. Whhhhhy?!

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 am

Zoloft wrote:I just read all that. Whhhhhy?!
So that we all would learn a new expression, LNI?
:backtotopic:

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:33 am

Judging by the conversation on their drama board, Ryulong was reacting to this edit.

- Noam Chomsky

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:37 am

Now that the dearly departed EE has stepped away, RationalWiki has been enjoying a marathon editing effort by Ryulong of its Gamergate page.

If one can't win at WP, one must redouble ones efforts in a friendlier wikiforum. After all, how many hits does the RW Gamergate page draw?