News from RFAR

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
neved
Gregarious
kołdry
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Re: News from RFAR

Unread post by neved » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
Off2riorob wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Jim wrote:
Notvelty wrote:
neved wrote:Both are (or were) aware that it is here that poses the greatest threat to their... endeavours
Well, yes, it would appear the ladies doeth protesteth a bit too much, would it not? Nothing like a rabbit in a pair of headlights.
Demiurge has certianly declared herself the leading expert in all things Wikipediocracy. Why is she obsessed with this site? Links, please!
Demiurge is a wowman? you got a diff for that?
I think someone said "she" above.
Demiurge1000 is a man.
He used to have that user box at his user page, the user box made by his personal request.
Paddle.jpg
As you see it says "schoolboy" not "schoolgirl".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 pm

neved wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Jim wrote:
Notvelty wrote:
neved wrote:Both are (or were) aware that it is here that poses the greatest threat to their... endeavours
Well, yes, it would appear the ladies doeth protesteth a bit too much, would it not? Nothing like a rabbit in a pair of headlights.
Demiurge has certianly declared herself the leading expert in all things Wikipediocracy. Why is she obsessed with this site? Links, please!
You may want to start with this one and this one
He/she is not in either of those.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
neved wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Jim wrote:
Notvelty wrote:
You may want to start with this one and this one
He/she is not in either of those.

Then you may want to read the discussion threads for these blogs
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3035
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2904
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:59 am

neved wrote:You may want to start with this one and this one
The first link is to Peter Damian's follow-up piece on "Dennis" and "Keith" (me), which I somehow missed, despite its relevance to me and its excellence.

Damian's follow-up article announced that Wales did respond with a statement that Demiurge1000 had been advised not to mentor children. Let us wish that Wales's and the WMF's (and perhaps Arbcom's?) private messages firmly tell Demiwit not to mentor or frequent articles and projects appealing to children. His Demiwit account has not been active editing pre-teen novels and pop bands the last time I looked.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 pm

neved wrote: He used to have that user box at his user page, the user box made by his personal request.
Paddle.jpg
As you see it says "schoolboy" not "schoolgirl".
"Was."

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:19 pm

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Bucket is probably gonna be in trouble and Tarc is definitely in trouble. Only thing that can save them now is if the Dear Leader absolves them both of their wikisins, but it does not look like he is going to do that.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Removing statements by IP with the editorial summary like "reverting banned user" is often used by Demiurge1000 (T-C-L), who does not appear to be listed as a party to the case, yet.

Some of Demiwit's reverts: I don't list reverts where an IP identifies as Kumioko (at least not obviously, to my tired eyes).

While some of the reverts may have been reasonable, Demiurge1000's frequently abusive edit-summaries have been counter-productive (and contrary to WP:Civility and WP:Don't feed the trolls and WP:Ban):
  • A person so disgusting that they would take advantage of the sorrow of a young person's death to try to advance their own sick agenda)
    Jimbo already told you no - that you have the gall to come here again after your disgusting behaviour was exposed is even worse
    Jimbo already closed this banned editor's new attempt at self-glorification... "disgusting" is right and they have not changed.
    Still WP:BAN and still disgusting as noted.
    Yes, and a lovely menage it is.
    Reverted 2 edits by Cla68 (T-C-L): Rv banned user.
Other abusive edit summaries and trolling by Demiwit have been discussed in other threads, but this specialty seems to have been missed.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 pm

One vote left and it is a go on the case. Pretty clear what they have in mind:
I think there are several people here whose behavior is due (or well overdue) for a review, and I don't think that is going to happen any other way at this point. Seraphimblade
I'm more than happy to take a case reviewing the behaviour of people not here to build an encyclopedia. Several names here qualify. Accept. AGK
What's more important is that it's the same old names appearing again and again. I'd be willing to accept a case with the strict scope of looking at the behaviour of a small number of people. WormTT
I think it's time to review the actions of some of the people named here. Accept. GorillaWarfare
This is going to be all about taking "Hell in a Bucket" and Tarc to task. May the wikigods have mercy on their souls.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:09 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:One vote left and it is a go on the case. Pretty clear what they have in mind:
I think there are several people here whose behavior is due (or well overdue) for a review, and I don't think that is going to happen any other way at this point. Seraphimblade
I'm more than happy to take a case reviewing the behaviour of people not here to build an encyclopedia. Several names here qualify. Accept. AGK
What's more important is that it's the same old names appearing again and again. I'd be willing to accept a case with the strict scope of looking at the behaviour of a small number of people. WormTT
I think it's time to review the actions of some of the people named here. Accept. GorillaWarfare
This is going to be all about taking "Hell in a Bucket" and Tarc to task. May the wikigods have mercy on their souls.
Mr. Bucket pissed all over NY Brad's talk page recently, which was not the brightest move in a series of his not-so-bright moves. He was a dead man walking if ArbCom took the Malleus Is Really Uncivil Sometimes case (which they did not). If they take the Greg Kohs Really Knows How To Get People's Goat Sometimes case, just watch 'em work that into the evidence somehow...

I've pretty much assumed for about a day now that they're gonna take this case, which I would never have predicted... It's pretty small potatoes and shouldn't take too long, but then again, once things hit ArbCom it's sort of like throwing a couple of those little Expando-Sponge capsules into a swimming pool — Itty bitty can become elephantine pretty rapidly... The resulting sponges you end up tossing in the garbage can because they are useless, of course.

I've listed myself as a party in the proposed case since I'm arrogant enough to think that I have a rational solution for the actual problem at hand. If Mr. Kohs wants to say something in respect to this case, which is ostensibly about him, I hope he avails himself of the opportunity which my self-inflicted status might present.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 am

Seven arbs have now weighed in favoring acceptance, so it is showtime on the Greg Kohs Case.

I thought for sure they were going to take on Malleus. It's nearly as surprising that they are taking on this one, which could have been settled with matching 24 hour blocks for Smallbones and Tarc for 3RR.

RfB

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:19 pm

I do find it amusing that Kohs will not be asked or allowed to speak in the Greg Kohs Case.

Further, I find it even more amusing that once the case is completed, we will be no closer than we were a couple of weeks ago toward an understanding of what disclosures are necessary for the Reward Board to function within the Terms of Use, which was the relatively simple question that "The Rewarder" and "The Receiver 0814" seemed to be getting at.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm

thekohser wrote:I do find it amusing that Kohs will not be asked or allowed to speak in the Greg Kohs Case.
What purpose could it possibly serve? You're banned already. :D

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 pm

thekohser wrote:I do find it amusing that Kohs will not be asked or allowed to speak in the Greg Kohs Case.
One gets used to it.... :twilightzone:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
By excluding Greg, the Arbcom fails to consider the easiest solution of all: unban Greg and his edits are allowable, hence no need to remove them.
Lambs and Lions will lay down in the field together and there will be pieces peace.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Zoloft wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
By excluding Greg, the Arbcom fails to consider the easiest solution of all: unban Greg and his edits are allowable, hence no need to remove them.
Lambs and Lions will lay down in the field together and there will be pieces peace.
I think I may post this as a proposal on the workshop page.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 am

Cla68 wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
It's not a completely stupid idea. As you all will remember, Greg got banned trying to be a "good guy" declared paid editor (more or less having invented paid editing on WP), which Jimmy Wales took as a heretical affront to civilization. Things digressed from there. Of course, after legions of sockpuppets and a gleeful career doing undeclared paid editing, the odds of ArbCom rolling the dice on a complete Do Over for him in light of changed community standards on paid editing is zero.

Still, it would be a fascinating two weeks watching him avail himself of free rein on WP before some sociopathic admin blocked him on a technicality...

RfB

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
It's not a completely stupid idea. As you all will remember, Greg got banned trying to be a "good guy" declared paid editor (more or less having invented paid editing on WP), which Jimmy Wales took as a heretical affront to civilization. Things digressed from there. Of course, after legions of sockpuppets and a gleeful career doing undeclared paid editing, the odds of ArbCom rolling the dice on a complete Do Over for him in light of changed community standards on paid editing is zero.

Still, it would be a fascinating two weeks watching him avail himself of free rein on WP before some sociopathic admin blocked him on a technicality...

RfB
I agree that Idea has merit, which is why it will probably never happen. Additionally, I wouldn't count on the Arbcom allowing him to comment. That would make too much sense and would give him an opportunity to defend himself which of course wouldn't be fair to the Arbcom. They relish in the lack of transparency that Arbcom gives them where they can sneak away to their private IRC channel or "special" private Wiki and discuss things on Olympus where us mere mortals cannot see. So even if they did allow him to comment and edit, you can be sure that 90% of their discussions would merely move off wiki.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:42 am

Kumioko wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:

RfB
I agree that Idea has merit, which is why it will probably never happen. Additionally, I wouldn't count on the Arbcom allowing him to comment. That would make too much sense and would give him an opportunity to defend himself which of course wouldn't be fair to the Arbcom. They relish in the lack of transparency that Arbcom gives them where they can sneak away to their private IRC channel or "special" private Wiki and discuss things on Olympus where us mere mortals cannot see. So even if they did allow him to comment and edit, you can be sure that 90% of their discussions would merely move off wiki.
This is a case about whether one has a right to proxy for a banned editor; or the duty to automatically revert the comments by a banned editor or the proxy of a banned editor.

Perhaps one of the parties in the case will make a practical demonstration that there is nothing frightening or anti-social by allowing those banned from the editing process being able to contribute constructive input.

This is pretty much a free speech vs. censorship case at its root level...

RfB

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 am

Wikipediots are more concerned about Greg Kohs's discussions of editing policy than about Russian disinformation.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:16 am

While the Arbitration Committee is still dithering on whether or not to accept the Gender Gap Task Force case, another case request relating to Landmark Education has been filed.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm

HRIP7 wrote:another case request relating to Landmark Education has been filed.
Again? After Cirt and Will Beback were forced out? Just like the CoS, anything relating to Werner Erhard is still a raw gaping wound. Cults hate other cults.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:32 pm

The proposed decision in the Gender Gap Task Force case has been posted. Voting is underway.
3.2 Proposed findings of fact
3.2.1 History of Gender Gap Task Force
3.2.2 Expletives
3.2.3 Carolmooredc
3.2.4 Eric Corbett
3.2.5 Eric Corbett ("that word")
3.2.6 Neotarf
3.2.7 Sitush
3.2.8 SPECIFICO

3.3 Proposed remedies
3.3.1 Carolmooredc topic banned
3.3.2 Carolmooredc banned
3.3.3 Eric Corbett topic banned
3.3.4 Eric Corbett restriction
3.3.5 Neotarf topic banned
3.3.6 Sitush
3.3.7 Sitush and Carolmooredc interaction ban

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Comments:

I'm considering this, but in the meantime, with respect to (A), the essence of the civility policy was defined by this Committee, long ago, in one sentence: "Users are expected to be reasonably courteous to each other." Few users would disagree that at some point, personal attacks become disruptive and must be stopped; the harder questions that has divided the project for years are matters of where the line should be drawn, and when the civility norm should be enforced by sanctions as opposed to moral suasion. See generally Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility enforcement; for a real-world analog, see In re Snyder. Newyorkbrad (talk) 00:26, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
Translating from IraSpeak, "Eric's a net negative for our system, but I need a bit more time to rationalize why I should vote to clear my friend."
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:02 am

Vigilant wrote:
I'm considering this, but in the meantime, with respect to (A), the essence of the civility policy was defined by this Committee, long ago, in one sentence: "Users are expected to be reasonably courteous to each other." Few users would disagree that at some point, personal attacks become disruptive and must be stopped; the harder questions that has divided the project for years are matters of where the line should be drawn, and when the civility norm should be enforced by sanctions as opposed to moral suasion. See generally Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility enforcement; for a real-world analog, see In re Snyder. Newyorkbrad (talk) 00:26, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
Translating from IraSpeak, "Eric's a net negative for our system, but I need a bit more time to rationalize why I should vote to clear my friend."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Resurrecting this thread for a quick link to a post from Rich Farmbrough (T-C-L) at Wikipedia talk:Arbitration Committee (T-H-L) inquiring about users that vanished rather than face an ArbCom case.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Hex wrote:Resurrecting this thread for a quick link to a post from Rich Farmbrough (T-C-L) at Wikipedia talk:Arbitration Committee (T-H-L) inquiring about users that vanished rather than face an ArbCom case.
I'm vaguely surprised that I didn't get a mention.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Hex wrote:Resurrecting this thread for a quick link to a post from Rich Farmbrough (T-C-L) at Wikipedia talk:Arbitration Committee (T-H-L) inquiring about users that vanished rather than face an ArbCom case.
That first link is a 404 now.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Vigilant wrote: That first link is a 404 now.
Oops, looks like I lost a character while correcting a formatting error. Thanks, I've slyly fixed it in all three posts above.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)