Jimbo (or someone) trying to hide Jimbo's IP address?

Jimbowatcher's paradise
thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Jimbo (or someone) trying to hide Jimbo's IP address?

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =623173131

https://archive.today/nLM6c

What's going on with that removal of User info?

Jimbo... Barbra Streisand has a message for you here:
General IP Information

IP: 90.197.157.137
Decimal: 1522900361
Hostname: 5ac59d89.bb.sky.com
ISP: Sky Broadband
Organization: Sky Broadband
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Dynamic IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information

State/Region: London, City of
City: London
Latitude: 51.4954 (51° 29′ 43.44″ N)
Longitude: -0.136 (0° 8′ 9.60″ W)
Postal Code: SW1P
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Re: Jimbo (or someone) trying to hide Jimbo's IP address?

Unread post by Alison » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:48 pm

It's pretty common to suppress edits for people who edit whilst logged out as the IP often relates to geolocation - it's in the Oversight policy. Jimbo is no exception, although what happened here was someone suppressed the IP address details but forgot the text which contained ... the IP address :p
-- Allie

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:25 am

*toys idly wth domain tools*
Since our informal policy is to protect the privacy of our members, and Jimbo is not a member, my hands are figuratively tied.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:42 am

Zoloft wrote:*toys idly wth domain tools*
Since our informal policy is to protect the privacy of our members, and Jimbo is not a member, my hands are figuratively tied.
Well, as a compromise, you could go the wikipedia way and just strike it through. Then it was never said, and cannot be used... :blink:
Zoloft wrote:is not a member
Zoloft wrote:my hands are figuratively tied.
:banned:

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 am

Alison wrote:what happened here was someone suppressed the IP address details but forgot the text which contained ... the IP address :p
Delicious. :rotfl:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:58 am

I do have a serious question about this.

Is there a way to "see" who oversighted the IP address clumsily the first time? And is there a way to "see" who came along more recently and shoved it more thoroughly down the memory hole? Which Wikipedians are entitled to this sort of view into who is oversighting what?

Wikipedians wax prolifically about how "transparent" their processes are, but this seems quite opaque to me here.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 am

thekohser wrote:I do have a serious question about this.

Is there a way to "see" who oversighted the IP address clumsily the first time? And is there a way to "see" who came along more recently and shoved it more thoroughly down the memory hole? Which Wikipedians are entitled to this sort of view into who is oversighting what?

Wikipedians wax prolifically about how "transparent" their processes are, but this seems quite opaque to me here.
I think there's an "Oversight Log" - which other Oversighters can see, and then there's some sort of "Ombudsman", the "Audit subcomittee" to rule on (ab)use.

A bit like Checkuser - they are supposed to "police" each other...

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 am

If what Jim says is correct, would some Wikipedia editor (or admin) in good standing please inquire about this particular case?

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 am

Here you go:
Wikipedia:Oversight
Logging
Revisions that have been suppressed using Oversight are logged at Special:Oversight.
The RevisionDelete extension can be used by both oversighters and administrators. Oversighters may select whether RevisionDelete will be used as a suppression action that prevents administrator access, or as an administrator action that any administrator can see and modify; administrators only have access to the latter. The action will be logged in the suppression log or deletion log accordingly.
Page revisions and logged events that have been suppressed using the "also hide from administrators" checkbox are logged in the suppression log.
Page revisions and logged events that have been deleted by an oversighter without using the "hide from administrators" checkbox or by an administrator, are logged in the deletion log.
Accounts which are blocked with the "suppress user name from lists" checkbox are logged in the suppression log.
The logs list who made the removal, when, from which page, and a provided comment. A diff link to compare the previous live revision to the hidden one is available.
I don't think you'll get names, though - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Privacy, you see...

Alison
Habitué

Unread post by Alison » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 am

thekohser wrote:Is there a way to "see" who oversighted the IP address clumsily the first time? And is there a way to "see" who came along more recently and shoved it more thoroughly down the memory hole? Which Wikipedians are entitled to this sort of view into who is over sighting what?
I can't tell, and I can see both - privacy policy, sorry. I signed up, so have to stick to my word.
-- Allie

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:21 am

Alison wrote:
thekohser wrote:Is there a way to "see" who oversighted the IP address clumsily the first time? And is there a way to "see" who came along more recently and shoved it more thoroughly down the memory hole? Which Wikipedians are entitled to this sort of view into who is over sighting what?
I can't tell, and I can see both - privacy policy, sorry. I signed up, so have to stick to my word.
Which Wikipedians are able to see the identity of these particular actors? Is it all admins? Only CheckUsers? Only Oversighters?

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Alison wrote:
The privacy policy is supposed to protect those on whom the advanced tools are used, not those who use the advanced tools.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Alison
Habitué

Unread post by Alison » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:31 am

thekohser wrote: Which Wikipedians are able to see the identity of these particular actors? Is it all admins? Only CheckUsers? Only Oversighters?
Only Oversighters.
-- Allie

Alison
Habitué

Unread post by Alison » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:33 am

Triptych wrote:The privacy policy is supposed to protect those on whom the advanced tools are used, not those who use the advanced tools.
Tell that to the Ombudsman Commission. Not all "privacy-related information" relates to the actual information being suppressed. I've already been dinged for posting a Useragent string on Wikipedia once. Yes, it's that bad.
-- Allie

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 am

Alison wrote:Tell that to the Ombudsman Commission.
How comical is it that the "free and open" encyclopedia needs an "Ombudsman Commission"? And all they do is try to keep checkusers from revealing "private" information, which tends to translate into "cover-ups of scandals". The bureaucracy must grow.

Wanna see what they "do"? Here's their latest "report". That's it. Everything else is a huge secret.

Where were they in 2005-08 when FT2, Gerard, Essjay, Raul654 and others were abusing checkuser on a regular basis? "Oh, well, that was a long time ago".

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:03 am

Alison wrote:
Triptych wrote:The privacy policy is supposed to protect those on whom the advanced tools are used, not those who use the advanced tools.
Tell that to the Ombudsman Commission. Not all "privacy-related information" relates to the actual information being suppressed. I've already been dinged for posting a Useragent string on Wikipedia once. Yes, it's that bad.
The Privacy Policy states:
When you make a contribution to any Wikimedia Site, including on user or discussion pages, you are creating a permanent, public record of every piece of content added, removed, or altered by you. The page history will show when your contribution or deletion was made, as well as your username (if you are signed in) or your IP address (if you are not signed in).
Yet, in this case, the action(s) of one (or more) Oversighter(s) is contradicting what the Privacy Policy states. The page history was deliberately made not to show the IP address of the editor. While we may not be entitled to see that Jimbo was using IP address 90.197.157.137, it stands to reason that if an Oversighter is going to deny us an ability that is enshrined in the Privacy Policy, we should be able to learn who is acting to deny us.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 am

Ah, Wikilawyering - can't escape it, even here...

By the way, how's the Streisand effect going, Kohs? Has 'Jimbo-forgets-to-sign-in-gate' made the front page of the New York Times yet? Has Harrison Ford been signed up for the inevitable movie version of this ongoing drama?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:03 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:By the way, how's the Streisand effect going, Kohs? Has 'Jimbo-forgets-to-sign-in-gate' made the front page of the New York Times yet? Has Harrison Ford been signed up for the inevitable movie version of this ongoing drama?
Have you done anything productive in life yet? I ask the question with all seriousness.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Alison wrote:
Every time I try to avoid using the word Kafkaesque, I just can't.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:34 pm

Hex wrote:
Alison wrote:
Every time I try to avoid using the word Kafkaesque, I just can't.
Franz Kafka by Jeff Stahl - His Deviant Art: linkhttp://jeffstahl.deviantart.com/[/link]

He takes commissions... I think with a little input from us, he could really 'capture' Jimbo Wales...

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing