Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Wikimania 2014

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Hex wrote:The gender balance of attendees was much better than the overall online balance, which was refreshing.
I have heard from a couple people this past week that they think anecdotally that the 15% female participation estimate at WP is stuffed — that the actual count is much higher than that.

Your thoughts?

RfB

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Jim wrote:
Triptych wrote:
Jim wrote:
neved wrote:What in the world is that disgusting colored spot at the upper part (around the neck) of Mr. Wales t-shirt?
I think there's a technical term for that, almost certainly "shadow", probably involving effects from coloured stage lighting. You can see the effect elsewhere in the shot, too.
In the second picture linked by Neved in her 12:03 post above, it really does look like a huge stain. I don't see how it could be lighting. Additionally in that picture, though this is very small and less certain, the stain appears to me to me to continue on the left lapel of the business jacket Wales is wearing over the t-shirt.

Could it possibly be some huge hot chocolate or cappuccino spill and he couldn't change clothes?
Yeah, I'm not absolutely certain, looking closer. What makes me think it could be shadow, or an artefact, is that you can see the same green discolouration in the other shadow areas on the shirt, and even, to an extent, his stubble.

But let's face it, it's much funnier if we assume he missed his mouth with his kool-aid, so I'm perfectly happy to go with that.
You're probably right.
I looked at another image, and the "stains" look differently.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:15 pm

neved wrote:A few months ago I saw a TV advertisement about weight loosing pills.
In the advertisement a little boy looks at his pregnant mom's tummy, and asks why it is so big.
The mom explains to the boy that she is pregnant. The boy then looks at his dad's tummy, and... asks:
"Daddy, are you pregnant too?"
I wonder why this picture reminded that advertisement to me:ermm:

Now this image.What in the world is that disgusting colored spot at the upper part (around the neck) of Mr. Wales t-shirt, and who came up with an idea to write "Wikimania London" over tummy? It would have looked much more in place, if it were placed on the chest, would it not?

And it is funny... Right after I wrote this comment about the t-shirt I watched Jon Davies (Chief Executive Wimedia UK) speech at the opening ceremony. He was talking about challenges of making t-shirts "you are wearing" After exclaiming "what possibly could go wrong with t-shirts?" Mr.Davies presented the table (below), explained how much time and efforts were spent on t-shirts.
I personally believe that everything that could have gone wrong with t-shirts did get wrong, but another thing, it is rather scary that the charity spends time and money on such things...
Jimbo is a freaking college graduate, so he should have learned in his management and HR classes that image is important for projecting charisma and leadership. So, he shows up to the most important Wikimania in years looking like this? What the heck is the matter with this guy?

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Peter Damian wrote:No it's awesome. Brandon gave an incredible talk about the importance of finding a cure for cancer.
The thing is that even, if a wikipedian finds a cure for cancer he/she would not be able to share the discovery on Wikipedia because due to Wikipedia:No original research (T-H-L). So I am not sure what finding cure for cancer has to do with wikipedia, and its funding.
Peter Damian wrote:and making the world a better place.
Wikipedia has enough power to make the world a better place. They simply have to close their sites once and for all.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Cla68 wrote:
neved wrote:A few months ago I saw a TV advertisement about weight loosing pills.
In the advertisement a little boy looks at his pregnant mom's tummy, and asks why it is so big.
The mom explains to the boy that she is pregnant. The boy then looks at his dad's tummy, and... asks:
"Daddy, are you pregnant too?"
I wonder why this picture reminded that advertisement to me:ermm:

Now this image.What in the world is that disgusting colored spot at the upper part (around the neck) of Mr. Wales t-shirt, and who came up with an idea to write "Wikimania London" over tummy? It would have looked much more in place, if it were placed on the chest, would it not?

And it is funny... Right after I wrote this comment about the t-shirt I watched Jon Davies (Chief Executive Wimedia UK) speech at the opening ceremony. He was talking about challenges of making t-shirts "you are wearing" After exclaiming "what possibly could go wrong with t-shirts?" Mr.Davies presented the table (below), explained how much time and efforts were spent on t-shirts.
I personally believe that everything that could have gone wrong with t-shirts did get wrong, but another thing, it is rather scary that the charity spends time and money on such things...
Jimbo is a freaking college graduate, so he should have learned in his management and HR classes that image is important for projecting charisma and leadership. So, he shows up to the most important Wikimania in years looking like this? What the heck is the matter with this guy?
It saddened me, but Lila looked hardly better.

I mean her skirt could have used some iron, and what are two white strips hanging out on her left side?
I had difficulties concentrating on what she was talking about because of these strips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Lila looks like David Gerard.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

neved wrote:You're probably right.
I looked at another image, and the "stains" look differently.
It sure is a weird effect.

We should check with David Icke - it may be Jimbo's "inner lizard" showing through... :cthulhu:

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Vigilant wrote:Lila looks like David Gerard.
You're a harsh man.

Not even David Gerard looks like David Gerard. It would be too cruel, even for him...

Anyway, the nose is slightly wrong...

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Hex wrote:The gender balance of attendees was much better than the overall online balance, which was refreshing.
I have heard from a couple people this past week that they think anecdotally that the 15% female participation estimate at WP is stuffed — that the actual count is much higher than that.

Your thoughts?

RfB
If by "participation", you mean the editors who create a User name, then edit more than 20 times on at least 3 unrelated topics, I would guess that the estimate of 12% to 15% female is quite accurate.

As for the other comments about Jimbo looking fashionably unprepared for this conference, this is nothing new. His famous "give us money" photo in the cobalt blue Oxford shirt clearly suggests that the shirt was removed from its package only minutes before the photo was taken.

He's got his (free) Maurice Lacroix wristwatch, though... so he's stylin' with that.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Jim wrote: Not even David Gerard looks like David Gerard. It would be too cruel, even for him...
That picture isn't David Gerard, it's "David Gerard" ((c) Wikipedia Review/Wikipediocracy posters). I passed David Gerard in a corridor yesterday. He looked like David Gerard.
thekohser wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

Your thoughts?
If by "participation", you mean the editors who create a User name, then edit more than 20 times on at least 3 unrelated topics, I would guess that the estimate of 12% to 15% female is quite accurate.
The 15% figure matches what I would offer anecdotally for my experience. I suspect that many female editors simply do not reveal their gender for fear of ill-treatment.
thekohser wrote: As for the other comments about Jimbo looking fashionably unprepared for this conference, this is nothing new. His famous "give us money" photo in the cobalt blue Oxford shirt clearly suggests that the shirt was removed from its package only minutes before the photo was taken.
Oh dear, yes it does.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 pm

F. Scott Fitgerald wrote: He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher — shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily. “They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such — such beautiful shirts before.”
At the other end of the spectrum is the new Wikimania shirt in baby-puke green — which truly does look like it was designed by a committee...

RfB

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Hex wrote:
Jim wrote: Not even David Gerard looks like David Gerard. It would be too cruel, even for him...
That picture isn't David Gerard, it's "David Gerard" ((c) Wikipedia Review/Wikipediocracy posters). I passed David Gerard in a corridor yesterday. He looked like David Gerard.
A corridor of power? :D

Anyway, I'm just jealous. I'd like to have visited the shindig, especially at the Barbican, just to see the stuff "live". 20 years ago I could have, when I lived in London, instead of 12,000 miles away. Except 20 years ago there wouldn't have... (damn these damnable logic loops...)

The picture - maybe Dave should get Jimbo to "Google - Right to disappear" it for him. Or maybe he likes it. Who knows?
(I think you may have mistaken me for someone who was being serious, there...)

====
Technical corner - does anyone know why spaces after an "italic tag" don't seem to work properly here? (you'd need to preview-quote this to see what I mean)
Last edited by Jim on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm

neved wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:No it's awesome. Brandon gave an incredible talk about the importance of finding a cure for cancer.
The thing is that even, if a wikipedian finds a cure for cancer he/she would not be able to share the discovery on Wikipedia because due to Wikipedia:No original research (T-H-L). So I am not sure what finding cure for cancer has to do with wikipedia, and its funding.
I suppose a Wikipedian would argue that by reading Wikipedia, someone could educate him(her)self sufficiently to become a medical researcher, and while researching could use Wikipedia as a reference. Nobody here would agree, but that's the sort of thing they might come up with.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Bielle wrote:Nothing asked about design, colour or legibility, and you can tell.

Sorry, but hard as the result makes it to believe, they did consider colour.
They had a terrible start:

... then it looks like they 'vectorized' it (turned it into strings), and printed it on a gray background, straight across the tummy. No wonder it looks like shit.
thekohser wrote:[...]Were you able to touch Brandon's hair? I hear that those who are able to get close enough to stroke those long, silky locks are imbued with new powers of "courage", just as his forearm tattoo says.
It looks like Brandon will soon join the follicly challenged club, so don't stroke too hard... he needs all the hair he's got.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:46 pm

neved wrote:
"Wikipedia will eventually be finished. This is important enough to mention in the same breath as other things that will happen eventually, such as curing cancer and ending war." - Brandon Harris

There, I've just saved you having to sit through twenty minutes of starry-eyed drivel tangentially related to the uncomfortable story of how one of his friends died of cancer.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:47 pm

thekohser wrote:Were you able to touch Brandon's hair? I hear that those who are able to get close enough to stroke those long, silky locks are imbued with new powers of "courage", just as his forearm tattoo says.
I nearly took a photo of PD admiring Brandon's tattoo in person, but decided to leave the moment for history.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Hex wrote:
thekohser wrote:Were you able to touch Brandon's hair? I hear that those who are able to get close enough to stroke those long, silky locks are imbued with new powers of "courage", just as his forearm tattoo says.
I nearly took a photo of PD admiring Brandon's tattoo in person, but decided to leave the moment for history.
Oh, boo, you have to preserve stuff for history. You left it to the forgotten past...

RfB

Addenda from the Batting Practice Fastball Dept.:

Okay, so I can totally understand how a Mixed Martial Arts guy or an American football player or a marathon runner might have a tattoo reading "COURAGE," but what does it mean in the context of a computer geek having such ink?

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:Aren't you all ashamed?
:applause: :applause:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Okay, so I can totally understand how a Mixed Martial Arts guy or an American football player or a marathon runner might have a tattoo reading "COURAGE," but what does it mean in the context of a computer geek having such ink?
Actually, it does take quite a lot of guts to foist buggy, non-working software on thousands of users who clearly don't want anything to do with it, so as to nearly break one of the most heavily-trafficked websites in the world, and then not only ignore the complaints, but actually claim that this is part of how you're helping to achieve something that's socially equivalent to ending cancer, war, and poverty.

Wait, did I say "guts"? Sorry, I meant "chutzpah."

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Hex wrote:
Here is the one I took. (Copyright Peter Damian, no uploading to Commons please).

οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Here is the one I took...
So what we're saying here is that at some point after the photo shoot, Jimbo just gave the shirt to Brandon, rather than keep it for future photo shoots? I didn't realize Jimbo and Brandon were the same size, though looking at it again, I guess it is a little tight on him.

Either way, I have to say it's very kind of the woman standing next to Mr. Brandon to try and direct our attention towards the shirt, and away from his grotesquely bad hairstyle.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Hex wrote:
Like tears in the rain...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Hex wrote:
Here is the one I took. (Copyright Peter Damian, no uploading to Commons please).

Jesus.

Even his beard cries out "hipster douchebag".
Strategically shaved to utmost douchebaggery.

Wasn't there any Pabst Blue Ribbon available for him to drink ironically?

And what the hell is wrong with Tina Fay's left eye?
Was there tear gas at this event?

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 pm

I'm back home. I'm so glad.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Vigilant wrote:Was there tear gas at this event?
I would assume so - after all, you can't have a "safe space" without plenty of tear gas, tasers, cattle prods, and rubber bullets.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 pm

There are rich veins of Weeweemania photos in Facebook including, but not limited to:

Wikimania London 2014 Community: link

Wikikmania 2014 Event: link

Wikimania London 2014 Event: link

Wikimania Hackathon 2014 Event: link

Wikimania Group: link

former Living Person

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Ah, thank you Mancunium. This is the version of the logo I couldn't find on Commons:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:28 pm

mac wrote:Ah, thank you Mancunium. This is the version of the logo I couldn't find on Commons:

Jesus that's bad.
Is there nobody on WMF's staff with any real world MarCom experience?!?!

This is high school first draft for an introductory art class bad.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:41 pm

There were many strange and unexpected things about this conference. I was most struck by the difference between the Californian staffers and the other Wikipedians. The latter were pretty much as expected, Wikimania t-shirts, rucksacks, trainers benign and sometimes vacant expressions. The Californians were slick and expensively dressed, e.g. Gayle Karen Young, who looked exactly like she is on the photo. I had an odd sort of respect for Jimbo who shambled on at the closing ceremony looking like he had just got out of bed, in pajamas. I wonder if that was for effect.

The ED has quite an entourage. We had arranged a meeting for Sunday morning with a few details to iron out, so I buttonholed Young to ask if Lila's PA had found a room. Could I quickly see Lila to finalise the details? Frost began to form on Young's upper slopes. Well you could, she said, but Lila won't know. She sent a text message to sort things out. From this I reasonably assumed that the PA was in San Francisco. Then Lila came out of the Green Rooms on the right, and I just walked over to sort things out directly. We chatted for a bit, then a photographer started taking pictures of us together, thinking that I was some important Open Data bigwig. Lila started posing with me too. Then Young stepped in and gently but firmly pushed me by the shoulders back to the main auditorium, where Lila's PA had been all the time, having received the text.

I wonder what happened to the picture. Damian and the ED.

[edit]To be fair, it's the job of the entourage to look after and protect their charges, and if ruffians like me start barging in then they are visibly not doing their jobs, so it's a bit unfair of me, I suppose.
Last edited by Peter Damian on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Poetlister wrote:
neved wrote:
I suppose a Wikipedian would argue that by reading Wikipedia, someone could educate him(her)self sufficiently to become a medical researcher, and while researching could use Wikipedia as a reference. Nobody here would agree, but that's the sort of thing they might come up with.
I believe that if wikipedia maybe could help to educate citizens of the third word countries, it could only hurt education in the developed countries. Students don't go to libraries instead they go to wikipedia, they do not read books instead they read articles written by a bunch of anonymous nobodies, they are not doing their own research instead they are relying on the research that is done for them. Nobody who is educated on wikipedia would ever become a researcher.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Also striking was in the closing speech by Jimmy, where he noted the problem of editors who contribute excellent content to Wikipedia but who have a toxic effect on the community because of their incivility. These people should be shown the door 'in a nice way' but firmly.

The crowd gradually broke into applause, turning into a thunderous ovation. Jimmy beamed.

It was like the two minute hate, really. Chilling. I did not applaud.

[edit] Oh yes, another presentation suggested the idea of a 'civility toolbox'. Containing riot shields, truncheons and tear gas, no doubt.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:08 pm

Peter Damian wrote:I'm back home. I'm so glad.
Wouldn't you be even happier, if you did not go there at all? Honestly?

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Hex wrote:

Now I understand why visual editor does not work.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 pm

neved wrote:
It was fascinating. I wouldn't want to do it again, but it was fascinating.

Also interesting was how many of the Wikipedians were really nice people. I made an effort to talk to many many of them, and most of them are sincere and kind. A number of arbitrators introduced themselves to me. Carcharoth struck me as a gentle person, with no side. 'Worm', i.e. Dave Craven, seemed honest, open and sincere. Roger Davies is what he is - I have never met such a foul-mouthed person for a long time. He had an amusing gaffe with a 'Gendergap' woman that delicacy forbids me from repeating here.

I chatted briefly with Fae who is quite unlike the character he portrays online. I think the internet has a bad effect on all of us.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Also striking was in the closing speech by Jimmy, where he noted the problem of editors who contribute excellent content to Wikipedia but who have a toxic effect on the community...
"a toxic effect on the community"? First mr. wales should define "the community". If he means the community of demiurge1000s, jehochmanes, russavias, Beyond My Kens, newyourkbrads, Beeblebroxes, AGKs and so on, no "toxic effect" could ever hurt that community. It is already as sick and as toxic as it gets.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
neved wrote:

Also interesting was how many of the Wikipedians were really nice people. I made an effort to talk to many many of them, and most of them are sincere and kind. A number of arbitrators introduced themselves to me. Carcharoth struck me as a gentle person, with no side. 'Worm', i.e. Dave Craven, seemed honest, open and sincere. Roger Davies is what he is - I have never met such a foul-mouthed person for a long time. He had an amusing gaffe with a 'Gendergap' woman that delicacy forbids me from repeating here.

I chatted briefly with Fae who is quite unlike the character he portrays online. I think the internet has a bad effect on all of us.
Peter, I do not think you could make a correct judgement about someone simply by talking to him especially publicly.
I used to think that the worm was an honest, open and sincere, I used to think he was different...before I had a few email communications with him.
Peter, I really do not believe that either honest and/or open and/or sincere and/or gentle or even simply a sane person could survive being an arbitrator.

I guess that most wikipedians are "really nice people", it is before they start participating in two minutes of hate. Remember
The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge-hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic. And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp.
And I agree the internet and wikipedia in particular has a bad effect on all of us. wikipedia takes human beings and turns them to wikipedians, and it is one of the most horrible things that could happen to one on the NET.
Last edited by neved on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Vigilant wrote:
mac wrote:Ah, thank you Mancunium. This is the version of the logo I couldn't find on Commons:

Jesus that's bad.
Is there nobody on WMF's staff with any real world MarCom experience?!?!

This is high school first draft for an introductory art class bad.
I suspect that whoever designed it was a fan of the deliberately asymmetrical and jagged London 2012 Olympics branding. Which virtually everyone thought was shit.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:59 pm

wikipedia takes human beings and turns them to wikipedians
This has a nice ring.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Is Sue Gardner still on the WMF payroll then? I see her doing a long introduction for Lila, in which she says she was on holiday in Iceland for part of the time Lila's been in there. Nice gig for a charity, a long way from soup kitchens and dressing like Santa to cring some bells for the Goodwill tin. And at the Barbican yet, I guess money is no object for the WMF.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 pm

neved wrote:Peter, I do not think you could make a correct judgement about someone simply by talking to him ...
that's the thing about getting older, you learn more things about more people ... for example, that the John Hopkins professor of surgery who set your broken arm had a wife who died from falling down the stairs, while he was beating her ... and so on. The older I get, the more the human race sucks.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
neved wrote:

Did Worm introduce himself specifically as Dave Craven to your face, and you found that sincere? I could use this assist me in updating the Arbcom Accountability Project.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Also striking was in the closing speech by Jimmy, where he noted the problem of editors who contribute excellent content to Wikipedia but who have a toxic effect on the community...
Many of whom were installed in positions of authority prior to 2006......by someone called Jimmy Wales.
Peter Damian wrote:Also interesting was how many of the Wikipedians were really nice people. I made an effort to talk to many many of them, and most of them are sincere and kind. A number of arbitrators introduced themselves to me. Carcharoth struck me as a gentle person, with no side. 'Worm', i.e. Dave Craven, seemed honest, open and sincere. Roger Davies is what he is - I have never met such a foul-mouthed person for a long time. He had an amusing gaffe with a 'Gendergap' woman that delicacy forbids me from repeating here.

Remember, Wikimania attendees are on their best behaviour, many of them being paid WMF employees or angling for a job, like Fae. And they are not the worst of Wikipedia administrators and hardcore trolls anyway. The craziest ones would never, EVER appear in public, at a Wikimania or anything else.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Those of you who attended break-out sessions could you please summarize what was discussed and your impressions?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I thought it was pretty nifty how Jimbo side-stepped the whole "will he actually pay this year's Wikipedian of the Year the prize money or not" issue, by inducting a dead person as the 2014 Wikipedian of the Year.

Did anyone hear of this in person, or is it on video somewhere? Did Jimbo offer to donate the usual $5,000 to some Ukrainian relief agency or something?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 pm

thekohser wrote:I thought it was pretty nifty how Jimbo side-stepped the whole "will he actually pay this year's Wikipedian of the Year the prize money or not" issue, by inducting a dead person as the 2014 Wikipedian of the Year.

Did anyone hear of this in person, or is it on video somewhere? Did Jimbo offer to donate the usual $5,000 to some Ukrainian relief agency or something?
viewtopic.php?p=82504#p82504

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:45 pm

thekohser wrote:I thought it was pretty nifty how Jimbo side-stepped the whole "will he actually pay this year's Wikipedian of the Year the prize money or not" issue, by inducting a dead person as the 2014 Wikipedian of the Year.

Apparently, the $5,000 deal got abolished last year already. [Pending verification]

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 pm

No one noticed this photo?? It's Wikipedia in a nutshell. I assume this slide was being shown at a Wikidata-related speech.
Wikipedia reduces everything to nerd trivia, in this case a My Little Pony character.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:59 am

Peter Damian wrote:Also striking was in the closing speech by Jimmy, where he noted the problem of editors who contribute excellent content to Wikipedia but who have a toxic effect on the community because of their incivility. These people should be shown the door 'in a nice way' but firmly.

The crowd gradually broke into applause, turning into a thunderous ovation. Jimmy beamed.

It was like the two minute hate, really. Chilling. I did not applaud.

[edit] Oh yes, another presentation suggested the idea of a 'civility toolbox'. Containing riot shields, truncheons and tear gas, no doubt.
Too bad you didn't heckle him!!!

Opportunity missed...

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 am

Triptych wrote:Is Sue Gardner still on the WMF payroll then?
Exxxxxxxxxcellent question. I noticed that.

Mr. Kohs, you have your research project for the week...

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:25 am

Jimmy Wales' closing speech is available at the following URL in the top window. He comes on at the 6:59:30 mark, give or take.

http://new.livestream.com/wikimania/sunday2014

The video about WP's potential impact in Africa which preceeds him is worth watching, I will add.

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.