Why Marketing Needs to Hire a Corporate Folklorist

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Why Marketing Needs to Hire a Corporate Folklorist

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Why Marketing Needs to Hire a Corporate Folklorist, Patti Sanchez, Harvard Business Review:
The historian held the keys to drawer after drawer of artifacts from every era of the company’s existence — sewing machines, product sketches, vintage ephemera, love letters from fans, even the world’s oldest pair of dungarees. It was stuff with a story to tell, and she used it precisely for that purpose. She traveled the world giving presentations that featured these artifacts to illustrate the company’s brand promise through a visceral experience that no brochure or blog post could match.

Given how fashionable storytelling is today, you’d think every market-centered company would have a person like this on staff to manage the collective memory of its brand. But in my experience, not many do, and that’s a shame. Artifacts and stories articulate a company’s identity, purpose, and value to customers and communities in a very real, powerful way. Making these past and present narratives accessible to current and future audiences is an important role because it captures the spirit of the organization and uses that to develop an even stronger brand. This role is so important, in fact, that companies should give it executive-level visibility, authority, and resources.
As someone that's worked a little bit with business archives of brand companies, I found this piece very interesting, and it made me think - if Wikipedia forbids businesses from ever writing about themselves, then it will be forever be condemning itself to mediocre articles about them.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Why Marketing Needs to Hire a Corporate Folklorist

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Hex wrote:...if Wikipedia forbids businesses from ever writing about themselves, then it will be forever be condemning itself to mediocre articles about them.
Post that on Jimbo's Talk page and let us know how it goes.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 am

thekohser wrote:
Hex wrote:...if Wikipedia forbids businesses from ever writing about themselves, then it will be forever be condemning itself to mediocre articles about them.
Post that on Jimbo's Talk page and let us know how it goes.
Why not? Done.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Employees can write about this stuff, they just cannot do it for the first time in Wikipedia, according to a cardinal content rule, NOR. And they are welcome to share published information on the talk page. Alanscottwalker (talk) 11:38, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

Whether or not they are usable in articles, images of "company folklore items" should be uploaded to Commons, which has explicitly rejected limitations on paid editing. The annotation pages for these images provide plenty of room for text explanations. Wnt (talk) 12:10, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

Disclosure I am often a paid editor. The chief problem with the Bright Line is that PR professionals (not historians typically) only "get it right" about 20% of the time. In the face of a COI disclosure, volunteers only get it right about 60% of the time. (yes, I am making up/guessing those statistics). It's basically a coin flip whether the edit will be accepted, even if it is an overt COI edit, or an overt BLP problem.
The Bright Line is intended to be a single simple rule that is not easily gamed by bad-faith editors hiding behind AGF as they make COI edits, but it is actually more effectively gamed than direct editing ever was.
Historians would do better editing than PR professionals, however I have a few times received a book from a client written by a historian with the question "will our Wikipedia page look like this?" and found many discrepancies between the book and reliable sources. The corporate historian is recruited to create a slanted version of history CorporateM (Talk) 14:23, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

Is anyone concerned that Scott appears to be proxying for a banned editor? - 2001:558:1400:10:AD5C:C6C0:2EE8:9093 (talk) 15:59, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

About as concerned as I am with which banned/blocked identity-concealing individual you are, which is to say, not much at all. How about you evaluate Scott's words on their own merit, rather than over-eagerly sniffing a breadcrumb trail like a Loony Tunes bloodhound? Tarc (talk) 16:19, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

Tarc, the IP is the banned editor. Per the link, he got someone to post the concept here, which in itself not the end of the world, and now he is going out of his way to be obnoxious about it. Newyorkbrad (talk) 16:45, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
Pointless.....

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:41 am

Just goes to show, one man's obnoxious is another man's hilarious.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:15 pm

LOL.

It's not often that I'm moved to song by Wikipedians, but Demi, this one's for you. (NSFW)
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged music as NSFW --Zoloft

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Hex wrote:LOL.

It's not often that I'm moved to song by Wikipedians, but Demi, this one's for you. (NSFW)
"Tweezers"
:rotfl:
BAHAHAHA!

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

sparkzilla
Retired
Wikipedia User: sparkzilla
Wikipedia Review Member: sparkzilla
Actual Name: Mark Devlin

Unread post by sparkzilla » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Hex wrote:if Wikipedia forbids businesses from ever writing about themselves, then it will be forever be condemning itself to mediocre articles about them.
Exactly. The rulemakers including Wales, don't know how to fix the software to allow the separation of the assessment of the quality of the edit, from the person making the edit, so they attack the person instead. Blanket rules about the kind of people who are allowed to make edits, and the quality of sources (for example, I read a huge, pointless, discussion on whether The Daily Mail was a reliable source, ending in its blanker disapproval) mean that the quality of the site can only go down. "Good" people make bad edits, "Bad" people make good edits. "Good" sources are often unreliable, "Bad" sources are often reliable.

It's yet another example of Wikipedia's utopianism forcing users to deal with imperfect software and policies rather than making software and policies that work with the real world.
Founder: Newslines

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:32 pm

The Jimbotalkians seem to think "businesses writing about themselves" means "businesses having free license to write whatever they want about themselves regardless of content policies". Nobody's suggesting that, but it sure is easy for them to argue against nevertheless.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Hex wrote:The Jimbotalkians seem to think "businesses writing about themselves" means "businesses having free license to write whatever they want about themselves regardless of content policies". Nobody's suggesting that, but it sure is easy for them to argue against nevertheless.
Yes, it's a classic straw man argument.

Of course, nobody worries about "critics having free license to write whatever they want about a business regardless of content policies".
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Hex, are you cruising for a Wikipedia ban, or merely one of Jimbo's terse "you are invited to no longer write on my Talk page" commands?

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm

thekohser wrote:Hex, are you cruising for a Wikipedia ban, or merely one of Jimbo's terse "you are invited to no longer write on my Talk page" commands?
Oh shoot, I totally forgot that breaking WP:EMPERORSCLOTHES is a WikiJailable offense. Now I get a thousand years of being chained to the Rock of Ani with a colony of vultures tearing at my innards.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Well, I'm with Jimbo on this one. If companies are allowed to post content about their (often long) histories of invention, innovation, and what-not, what's to stop them from taking complete credit for these innovations at the expense of the employees who actually conceived of them, designed them, and built them? Nobody wants that!

Heck, you could even theoretically have situations where the guy who does the lion's share of the actual work on something - a new website, for example - and who for some time has been referred to as the "co-founder" of that website (along with his employer at the time), might suddenly have that credit taken away from him, given that the employer probably wants all the credit for himself.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:Heck, you could even theoretically have situations where the guy who does the lion's share of the actual work on something - a new website, for example - and who for some time has been referred to as the "co-founder" of that website (along with his employer at the time), might suddenly have that credit taken away from him, given that the employer probably wants all the credit for himself.
I cannot conceive of a corporation doing something that despicable, Jake.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Am I misreading, or did Jimbo just suggest that Newyorkbrad is prone to "excessive rhetoric" and "self-consciously so"?
Indeed, it is a policy that I have long thought unwise and not particularly helpful with any meaningful problems. There are other problems in how we deal with corporate editing, too. It would be nice to have a constructive conversation about how to improve that, but such conversations tend to be derailed very quickly by excessive rhetoric and, with you Brad, I believe that is likely self-consciously so.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 21:03, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
Jimbo's 365-day "To Do" calendar must have come up with "Be a prick to several people whose work makes you look good" today.

Oh, wait. I get it. Jimbo's sentence construction is terrible, but he's trying to say that he agrees with Brad's assessment of Scott, that Scott's excessive rhetoric is self-conscious.

If Jimbo really wants to put to the test whether corporations are welcome to engage on Talk pages, and they can get most of what they want done -- within policy -- that way... I'll be happy to offer myself up as a guinea pig for Comcast Business (T-H-L). What does Jimbo say to that?

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:17 pm

thekohser wrote:Am I misreading, or did Jimbo just suggest that Newyorkbrad is prone to "excessive rhetoric" and "self-consciously so"?
Heh. We did the same double-take.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 am

HRIP7 wrote:
thekohser wrote:Am I misreading, or did Jimbo just suggest that Newyorkbrad is prone to "excessive rhetoric" and "self-consciously so"?
I'm pretty sure that was ham-fisted writing and what Wales meant to say was "I'm with you on this Brad". But then again what would I know? I'm just a "jerk".

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Hex wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was ham-fisted writing and what Wales meant to say was "I'm with you on this Brad". But then again what would I know? I'm just a "jerk".
I'm just flabbergasted that anyone could be so stupid as to either think that it's not possible to have a different business scope for a different venture, or believe the sort of weasel who'd try to claim that was the case.

Time to find out a bit more about the douchenozzle who's trying to misrepresent the "author your legacy" tagline as Greg's plan for wikipedia, rather than a completely separate business entity. He's reaching demiweirdo, Hochman and Chris O. levels of over-protestation.
-----------
Notvelty

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:19 pm

thekohser wrote: Oh, wait. I get it. Jimbo's sentence construction is terrible, but he's trying to say that he agrees with Brad's assessment of Scott, that Scott's excessive rhetoric is self-conscious.
Oops, I missed this - sorry. Yes, atrocious construction.

The only part where I consciously engaged in rhetoric was the final line, which was too fun not to write. The rest was straight-up arguing. Wales dismissed it as that's easier than actually responding with his own logic. The best he can come up with is "unconvincing" and "discredited", but then my comments are "just noise". What a vapid airbag.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Hex wrote:
thekohser wrote: Oh, wait. I get it. Jimbo's sentence construction is terrible, but he's trying to say that he agrees with Brad's assessment of Scott, that Scott's excessive rhetoric is self-conscious.
Oops, I missed this - sorry. Yes, atrocious construction.

The only part where I consciously engaged in rhetoric was the final line, which was too fun not to write. The rest was straight-up arguing. Wales dismissed it as that's easier than actually responding with his own logic. The best he can come up with is "unconvincing" and "discredited", but then my comments are "just noise". What a vapid airbag.
Let's just remember that Mr Wales wrote, just five days ago,
Jimbo Wales wrote:Two people are disagreeing? Then the best thing is if some third person comes along and sees a way out of the disagreement by finding a compromise that both parties agree is better than either of their initial preferred options. "Mediaviewer good or evil?" is a question with no happy answer. "Mediaviewer: how to make it better for everyone than the old way" is a question that, if we can answer it, resolves the problem neatly and moves everyone forward with joy and relaxation.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:34, 17 July 2014 (UTC)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 pm

"Mediaviewer: how to make it better for everyone than the old way" is a question that, if we can answer it, resolves the problem neatly and moves everyone forward with joy and relaxation.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:34, 17 July 2014 (UTC)
:sick:

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Where does he come up with these terrible phrases? "Joy and Relaxation" sounds like the name of a rub'n'tug parlor.