Long term civility problems among editors

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Long term civility problems among editors

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:47 pm

It's a perennial problem at en.wp.

Who has the longest block log as an editor?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Re: Long term civility problems among editors

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Probably not me. But there are nine entries on my block record as a result of being prosecuted twice by Cirt. One of the blockers has since been desysopped, another has completely vanished and a third has mostly disappeared into obscurity. Now, in fairness, there was at least one "courtesy block" in there and a couple other clarification reblocks IIRC...

:unicorn: :sparkles:
los auberginos

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

(Ignoring the pretty transparent troll and changing the subject a iittle...)

I have a sense that the days of long block logs are coming to an end. There seems to be a growing sentiment for "indef 'em all and let God sort them out" these days; historically, first, second, and even third blocks would be for a super-short length of time — often reduced if sufficient awareness, humility, and self-criticism was demonstrated. Now there is less cowboy adminning, it would seem, but when administrators do take action (frequently on hot topics covered by Discretionary Sanctions), penalties are harsher on average than they were five or ten years ago.

Many of the more aggressive editors apt to bareknuckles fighting over content have either left on their own or are, like Jytdog, being shown the door.

So I don't think we're apt to see too many page long block logs in the future.

RfB

P.S. More indefs may well mean more sock puppetry — an unintended consequence of running a tighter ship.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:More indefs may well mean more sock puppetry — an unintended consequence of running a tighter ship.
They're just making a block log aggregation necessary with this step.

en.wp and WMF have not figured out a way to stop anyone even partially competent from editing regardless of their flailings.

P.S. Who's your choice for editor with the longest block log, Tim?
*whistling the tune to Jeopardy*

P.P.S. I made a little side trip to .co and ran across CrowsNest's thread there. Vigilant seal of approval, my man. :flaming-v:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:More indefs may well mean more sock puppetry — an unintended consequence of running a tighter ship.
They're just making a block log aggregation necessary with this step.

en.wp and WMF have not figured out a way to stop anyone even partially competent from editing regardless of their flailings.

P.S. Who's your choice for editor with the longest block log, Tim?

P.P.S. I made a little side trip to .co and ran across CrowsNest's thread there. Vigilant seal of approval, my man. :flaming-v:
I don't know who the longest one is, but it would be pretty easy to figure out if you have access to Quarry. I have seen a couple in the past that had been blocked over 10 times, but I don't remember who they were at the moment though. Once they get to about block #5, indefs usually follow shortly thereafter so it's uncommon to get over 10 from what I have seen.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:57 pm

:like: I have to agree that as a general trend block logs are shorter now and indef blocks common after timed blocks don't do the trick. Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... type=block would not be allowed to go on near so long. It's a mess but not counting adjustments to existing blocks it looks like 26 blocks before the last one stuck. An old version of his talk page puts the number at 31, with him bragging about it.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 pm

My highest count is 40 blocks for one user.

Can anyone top that?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Beeblebrox wrote::like: I have to agree that as a general trend block logs are shorter now and indef blocks common after timed blocks don't do the trick. Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... type=block would not be allowed to go on near so long. It's a mess but not counting adjustments to existing blocks it looks like 26 blocks before the last one stuck. An old version of his talk page puts the number at 31, with him bragging about it.
Vintagekit is quite a complicated case, He was indeffed more than once, so it's not a question of a series of short blocks before finally people lost patience.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

SixOClock
Contributor

Unread post by SixOClock » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:My highest count is 40 blocks for one user.

Can anyone top that?
207.200.116.0/24 has many. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:L ... 116.0%2F24

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:19 pm

SixOClock wrote:

Can anyone top that?
207.200.116.0/24 has many. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:L ... 116.0%2F24
That's an IP rangeblock rather than blocking an account, so it's rather different. You'd need extremely good reasons to block that many IP addresses (256, all those of form 207.200.116.nnn) permanently.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

SixOClock
Contributor

Unread post by SixOClock » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Poetlister wrote:
SixOClock wrote:

Can anyone top that?
That's an IP rangeblock rather than blocking an account, so it's rather different. You'd need extremely good reasons to block that many IP addresses (256, all those of form 207.200.116.nnn) permanently.
If we discount test accounts and IP blocks Giano_II has 44

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Vigilant wrote: P.S. Who's your choice for editor with the longest block log, Tim?
Dunno, there are a couple good choices.

RfB

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am

Block logs are not necessarily indications of incivility. Drmies has no blocks at all and he's perfectly capable of incivility, usually explained away using euphemisms.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 am

I'd note that it's extremely rare for an admin to simply say "incivility" as a block reason. (I don't believe I have ever used it myself) There should usually be a more specifc reason. "Personal attacks or harassment" is one of the canned block reasons to look for.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:51 am

Poetlister wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote::like: I have to agree that as a general trend block logs are shorter now and indef blocks common after timed blocks don't do the trick. Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... type=block would not be allowed to go on near so long. It's a mess but not counting adjustments to existing blocks it looks like 26 blocks before the last one stuck. An old version of his talk page puts the number at 31, with him bragging about it.
Vintagekit is quite a complicated case, He was indeffed more than once, so it's not a question of a series of short blocks before finally people lost patience.
Yeah, but I think his case is indicative of why the situation has changed over the years. He had mentors who tried and tried to help him act like a functioning adult, which was a large part of why he kept getting unblocked again. We don't really do that with experienced uses anymore, adopt-a-user is strictly for noobs.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Yeah, but I think his case is indicative of why the situation has changed over the years. He had mentors who tried and tried to help him act like a functioning adult, which was a large part of why he kept getting unblocked again. We don't really do that with experienced uses anymore, adopt-a-user is strictly for noobs.
In the old days there was an emphasis on editing and building an encyclopedia and that required editors. Now, there is more emphasis on pushing POV, protecting fifedoms and the articles they own. No one really cares about editors anymore, which is why editor/article creator admins are rare. People who become admins usually cannot write and usually aren't interested in article improvement so they focus on reverting vandalism, surfing the drama boards and whining about the volume of edits filling watchlists by the ones doing the work. That gets them visibility from the admins, pats on the back and thank yous for their service when, as admins, have their admin status revoked after being in active for a year. When is the last time you saw an editor get thanked for their service when they hadn't edited in a year?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:34 am

Can anyone top that?
Does it count if it's the same editor who openly abandoned a prior account and started using a new one? Or does it all have to be the same account?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:

Can anyone top that?
Does it count if it's the same editor who openly abandoned a prior account and started using a new one? Or does it all have to be the same account?
I think blocks per individual is the metric of interest here.

RfB

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:

Can anyone top that?

RfB
Well I think Malleus Fatuorum/Eric Corbett wins, then.

Malleus = 23 block-only entries, 38 total entries including unblocks and block length changes
Eric = 14 block-only entries, 28 total entries including unblocks and block length changes

So, if you look at total block log entries, Eric has 66 block log entries over his two accounts.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:57 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:

Can anyone top that?

RfB

Malleus = 23 block-only entries, 38 total entries including unblocks and block length changes
Eric = 14 block-only entries, 28 total entries including unblocks and block length changes

So, if you look at total block log entries, Eric has 66 block log entries over his two accounts.
And he has the distinction of not currently being blocked, which is pretty amazing if you think about it.
Globally banned after 7 years.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Dysklyver wrote:And he has the distinction of not currently being blocked, which is pretty amazing if you think about it.
Is there a prize on offer?

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:

Can anyone top that?

RfB

By which system of mathematics is 37 blocks greater than 40 blocks?

Although, to be fair, congratulations are in order for finally giving the answer that Vigilant was angling for.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:55 pm

It's worth noting that a large number of those blocks were from morons with article ownership issues, didn't bother to look at anything other than Eric's lengthy block logged and assumed he was a disruptive editor or idiots that never should have been admins in the first place.

Eric's block log is a veritable who's who of losers including:
* Floquenbeam (T-C-L) - A worthless admin who believes admins are better than editors
* Fram (T-C-L) -Well known problematic admin with a pattern of abusive conduct towards non admin editors
* Sandstein (T-C-L) - Same as Fram
* HighInBC (T-C-L) -Less than worthless
* Callanecc (T-C-L) - Another admin who has no respect whatsoever for editors and wouldn't piss on the flames if they were on fire!
* etc.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:

Can anyone top that?

RfB

By which system of mathematics is 37 blocks greater than 40 blocks?

Although, to be fair, congratulations are in order for finally giving the answer that Vigilant was angling for.
"So, if you look at total block log entries, Eric has 66 block log entries over his two accounts."

I wasn't sure if he meant pure blocks or block log entries. If it's blocks only then I guess I don't get the prize. :crying:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm surprised they don't have a special "Block Timeline" feature so you can see the pattern of blocks over time on a nice eye-catching chart.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:I'm surprised they don't have a special "Block Timeline" feature so you can see the pattern of blocks over time on a nice eye-catching chart.
Put it in the suggestion box, those hardworking engineers in San Francisco need something to do.

RfB

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

IIRC the longest I knew of was Giano - between Giano, Giano II and GiacomoReturned, he had somewhere in the range of 50-60 blocks. And he's currently unblocked.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm

If we counted sockblocks then Grawp and Co would be up there.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 am

turnedworm wrote:IIRC the longest I knew of was Giano - between Giano, Giano II and GiacomoReturned, he had somewhere in the range of 50-60 blocks. And he's currently unblocked.
That would be my guess — Friend Eric #2.

RfB

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

Dysklyver wrote:If we counted sockblocks then Grawp and Co would be up there.
Nothing compared with the late Runtshit: his socks were at least in the 4 digit territory.

MadManz
Gregarious

Unread post by MadManz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 am

The Adversary wrote:
Dysklyver wrote:If we counted sockblocks then Grawp and Co would be up there.
Nothing compared with the late Runtshit: his socks were at least in the 4 digit territory.
Grawp has at least 5000 socks not even including IPs after some studies

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 am

Right now there seems to be some major issues with someone they refer to as the Dog and Rapper vandal. I don't know if this guy is a travelling salesman or what, but they seem to have blocked accounts and IP's all over the east coast including areas between Philly, New York, Baltimore, DC, Northern Va and Maryland. I don't know exactly how many accounts they have, but they have a large number of IPs. SO many so that it appears they stopped trying to track them. Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... per_vandal

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 am

Kumioko wrote:Right now there seems to be some major issues with someone they refer to as the Dog and Rapper vandal. I don't know if this guy is a travelling salesman or what, but they seem to have blocked accounts and IP's all over the east coast including areas between Philly, New York, Baltimore, DC, Northern Va and Maryland. I don't know exactly how many accounts they have, but they have a large number of IPs. SO many so that it appears they stopped trying to track them. Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... per_vandal
That guy is the reason I can't anon-edit on my mobile. It seems all of T-mobile is blocked across the country.

It's more fun to figure out which active editors have the longest block log, though. The obsessive sockmasters are too easy.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Right now there seems to be some major issues with someone they refer to as the Dog and Rapper vandal. I don't know if this guy is a travelling salesman or what, but they seem to have blocked accounts and IP's all over the east coast including areas between Philly, New York, Baltimore, DC, Northern Va and Maryland. I don't know exactly how many accounts they have, but they have a large number of IPs. SO many so that it appears they stopped trying to track them. Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... per_vandal
That guy is the reason I can't anon-edit on my mobile. It seems all of T-mobile is blocked across the country.

It's more fun to figure out which active editors have the longest block log, though. The obsessive sockmasters are too easy.
Yeah that's the result of overzealous IP range bans IMO. Even with IPV6, eventually you just run out of IP ranges when they are applying them to Quintillion IP's at a time.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 am

Plot twist:

The dog and rapper vandal is more than one person.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 am

Dysklyver wrote:Plot twist:

The dog and rapper vandal is more than one person.
I would agree with that because accounts and IP's I have used are sometimes associated to him. In fact, even when I make it known it's me admins and CU's generally associate them to someone else. Additionally the CU tool is such garbage and the Checkusers so lazy they don't even care if it's right. All they care about is making sure they get to block someone and get credit for being the savior of the wiki from sockmasters, even if it means blocking innocent editors.