A Nobody returns?

Tarc
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Tarc

A Nobody returns?

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 am

Bit of sniping today on ANI (where else) that A Nobody (T-C-L) has returned as Northamerica1000 (T-C-L). I've seen the NA name pop up in the usual places that the Rescue Squad meddles in, but if its really him then he's learned to tamp down that colossal douchebag nature quite a bit since his last go-around.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

EricBarbour

Re: A Nobody returns?

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:51 am

:tearinghairout: I almost wish you hadn't mentioned this.....my job would be easier if these freaks gave up, and stayed given up.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 am

EricBarbour wrote::tearinghairout: I almost wish you hadn't mentioned this.....my job would be easier if these freaks gave up, and stayed given up.
Er, what?

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 am

I thought he was "CallawayRox." But go know. He probably has a bunch of accounts. All as inane as the last, and all equally welcomed (unless they're "caught).

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 am

I'd have to dig back and see what kinda of articles AN used to push and create, but Callaway has quite a fixation on animals and news-of-the-weird events, i.e. the dead cat turned into a helicopter. He also doesn't argue that strenuously or effectively at AfDs, and if AN was anything, he was verbose and bombastic as he reached for a seemingly endless litany of WP:ACRONYM essays.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:41 am

Minus the links, of course--find them yourself. I believe this covers the situation adequately.
Believed to have been a teenager when he first appeared on Wikipedia, A Nobody was accused of every possible crime, and banned. And kept returning. His real identity remains unknown.

AN first appeared in October 2006, and showed an obsession with pumpkins. By November he was screaming "KEEP" in AFDs. Most of his contributions were gnomish in nature, minor corrections and reformattings. Apparently he learned how to move articles so that dependencies would be damaged when an article was deleted, making deletions more difficult. This appears to have incensed the deletionist patrollers.

As Everyking astutely summarized it: "Bottom line: A Nobody is an inclusionist who is active in seeking the preservation of articles, but manages to stay civil during the endless arguments he gets involved in, thereby preventing the deletionists from finding a quick and easy excuse to ban him. Deletionists expect that inclusionists should either give up and shut up or resort to some kind of misconduct which can serve as a pretext for silencing them. Since A Nobody has not, after quite a long time, fallen into either category, they're now predictably trying to get rid of him through the formal process route."[1] As someone else in that thread said: "He's a OCD basketcase - that's politeness is nothing more than an attempt to needle people he doesn't get on with."(sic)

So, predictably, deletionist patrollers wanted him gone. His main sock, Le_Grand_Roi_des_Citrouilles, tried to disappear in 2008, yet soon returned.

In September 2009, an RFC was finally opened against him. Endless examples of his alleged "incivility" were waved around, endless claimed sockpuppets were waved around. The checkuser request had been opened two years prior, despite some of it being questionable. Soon he was filing Arbcom complaints against some of his opponents[2]. A sockpuppet investigation was opened in October 2009, and is still being updated as of 2012, with little evident result.

A full arbitration case was opened against him in March 2010, and left open, because "he refused to cooperate". He was finally permablocked in May 2010, by Georgewilliamherbert, for unspecified "crimes".

Allegedly, he attempted another return as Northamerica1000 in June 2011.[3] It is likely that he has many more sock accounts. He also edited a few Wikia wikis, and was harassed by many of the same Wikipedia deletionists there -- death threats included.[4][5][6]

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:45 am

Eric -- You have no idea what a sadistic and vindictive little puke that sad person (struggling with some kind of mental illness) really is. He is among the worst in that cess pool, and that's saying something.

If that's a product of your research, you may want to think about going back to the drawing board.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 am

DanMurphy wrote:Eric -- You have no idea what a sadistic and vindictive little puke that sad person (struggling with some kind of mental illness) really is. He is among the worst in that cess pool, and that's saying something.
It would help if you pointed to something specific, as a clear example. The record I see is a gigantic mess, and a lot of really nasty deletionists were usually involved.
I'm not interested in supporting AN's claims of innocence, it's obvious he's not. As usual on Wikipedia, both sides did disgusting and crazy things.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 am

I'm not really interested in convincing you. But you're being very categorical in that brief sample about someone you clearly know very little about. A Nobody/Pumpkin King/Elizabeth Rogan/Horace Horatius/Wikipedian, Historian and Friend, etc. etc... is no great villain. He's just an OCD lunatic who drove off competent people in large numbers so he could write about magic and ghosts and video games and ESP etc etc. as if they were worthy subjects. The Wikipedia system loves him (though it occasionally spits out some of his personas for a reboot).

He's only one of many half-wits I encountered there, but one who was so personally vicious and fundamentally dishonest in his dealings with me that I feel no guilt about sharing my opinion of him in public.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:11 am

DanMurphy wrote:A Nobody/Pumpkin King/Elizabeth Rogan/Horace Horatius/Wikipedian, Historian and Friend, etc. etc... is no great villain. He's just an OCD lunatic who drove off competent people in large numbers so he could write about magic and ghosts and video games and ESP etc etc. as if they were worthy subjects. The Wikipedia system loves him (though it occasionally spits out some of his personas for a reboot).

He's only one of many half-wits I encountered there, but one who was so personally vicious and fundamentally dishonest in his dealings with me that I feel no guilt about sharing my opinion of him in public.
That will do, thanks.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:42 am

Even among the ARS supporters it is widely believed that Northamerica is a sock of some banned inclusionist so this is not unusual. It would hardly be unusual for it to be true either as many of the tendentious inclusionists that have dominated the group in the past have turned out to be sockmasters/sockpuppets. Benjiboi being the most epic example. What would be unusual is if someone presented compelling evidence on the matter.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 am

A Nobody was a pest who defended poorly sourced and libelous BLPs, and a complete misunderstanding of nearly every policy even when warned about it. He attacked anyone who didn't share his views of keeping everything in Wikipedia. His disregard with sourcing policies and sockpuppety to defend is wacko views killed him in the end. Far from an "innocent victim", he was one of the few users who the community took too long to ban. Northamerica1000 is not him, I believe he's a CLEANSTART account of someone who was formally banned but is now allowed to edit again. His edit patterns and speaking style is not even closely related to A Nobody. Northamerica1000 is a inclusionist who understand Wikipedia policies somewhat, and is willing to work things out with other editors, something A_Nobody had never figured out. Neither account had the article interests, A Nobody defended bad BLPs and wrote articles on the smallest detail of some television show that there is no sources for, until he gave up and just started voting keep on everything not bothering to improve the article. I haven't seen NA1000 participate in many fiction or x in popular culture AFDs, and I've seen him voting delete on hellish AFDs on harmful BLPs. And NA1000 is willing to add "proper" sourcing to articles facing deletion, something A Nobody or meatpuppet Dream Focus was ever willing to do. I do agree that deletionism did get a bit out of control around that time with the Eyrian sockpuppetry situation and some poor AFDs on fiction articles. I do believe that it could have been avoided as well.