TWO DAYS LEFT to Run 4 Arb! Get in the Ring, Wikipediocracy!

Triptych
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

TWO DAYS LEFT to Run 4 Arb! Get in the Ring, Wikipediocracy!

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:58 pm

(modified and expanded repost)

I support any Wikipediocracy regular or semi-regular throwing his or her hat in the ring. You don't have to break your back to make it a realistic campaign, but you must be ready to do the job if you somehow get elected. That means paying attention to Arbcom stuff and participating and answering your #$%ing Arbcom email and knowing policy and at least *trying* to treat editors right, and all of this for the next two years or whatever it is.

I just looked at the rules and there's only TWO DAYS LEFT "(i) be submitted after 00:01 UTC on 10 November 2013 and before 23:59 UTC on 19 November 2013!!" For those in USA the deadline is between 4 PM to 7 PM tomorrow, depending on timezone.

It doesn't look that hard to put your name in. Check out the light eligibility requirements, offer some short or middling statement of why you run, track it and answer community questions after that. Go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... Candidates) and do it!

We here will back you up with annoying and inflammatory commentary, designed to make the incumbents nutty! We will malign and character assassinate all your opponents! ;)

Here are the complete requirements:
Instructions and Eligibility Criteria wrote:
An editor is eligible to stand as a candidate who:

(i) has a registered account and has had at least 500 mainspace edits by 1 November 2013.
(ii) meets the Wikimedia Foundation's criteria for access to non-public data or confirms in their election statement they will fully comply with the criteria.[note]
(iii) has disclosed any alternate accounts in their election statements (legitimate accounts which have been declared to the Arbitration Committee prior to the close of nominations need not be publicly disclosed).

Statements must:

(i) be submitted after 00:01 UTC on 10 November 2013 and before 23:59 UTC on 19 November 2013;
(ii) not exceed a limit of 400 words[note] (although candidates are free to link to a longer statement if they wish);
(iii) confirm that the candidate will fully comply with the criteria for access to non-public data;
(iv) include a disclosure of all prior and alternate accounts or confirmation that all such accounts have been declared to the Arbitration Committee;
(v) be created using the inputbox below, by appending your username to the existing text, clicking the button, and following the instructions.

Once you have saved your statement, you will need to transclude it below using the following code:

{{Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2013/Candidates/{{subst:REVISIONUSER}}/Statement}}
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Triptych
Retired

Re: TWO DAYS LEFT to Run 4 Arb! Get in the Ring, Wikipediocr

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Jeez guys and gals, I just checked, and with like 36 hours to go, there are just eight declared candidates for nine open arb positions. Is this a false impression because of procrastination-based behavior by the usual suckspects like Kww, Beeblebrox, Bwilkins and so forth, or is it an opening for some of the sensible Wikipediocracy participants to get in there, kick ass, and take names?

I already see a procedural disqualification for Floquenbeam. The eligibility criteria says the candidate must disclose prior accounts publicly or "to Arbcom," but Floquenbeam only offers that Allison checked him out, it was a long time ago, and, optimistically, it's a "moot point."

I'm not criticizing Floq's non-disclosure to Arbcom (which means their list, and whomever is on that, it surely ain't just arbs) he or she'd be a fool to do that if there're privacy matters, but rules is rules.

EDIT: grammar, etc.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:21 pm

I think our fine contributor Wer900 is eligible to run.

Heck, even a blocked editor seems able to meet the candidate criteria, potentially. You'd just be ineffective as an arb, really, and you'd have to block evade a lot. But then, I think Aaron Burr, the third vice-president of the United States, was under indictment for murder for a bit.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Triptych wrote:I think our fine contributor Wer900 is eligible to run.

Heck, even a blocked editor seems able to meet the candidate criteria, potentially. You'd just be ineffective as an arb, really, and you'd have to block evade a lot. But then, I think Aaron Burr, the third vice-president of the United States, was under indictment for murder for a bit.
Yes, other than a blocked editor not being able to nominate themselves. Can someone nominate another person?

I really think someone here needs to get it together and run.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I think the best ArbCom candidates from WO might be those who get a lot of respect both here and at en-Wiki. For example, Alison and SB Johnny are two moderators of this board who are also admins at Wikipedia, and Cla68 is a moderator here who’s one of Wikipedia’s most prolific authors of FAs. There are probably other examples also; those are just the ones who I can think of offhand.

Alison’s comment here seemed to indicated she had some interest in running, but I can’t tell for sure.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm almost tempted but not as part of a Wikipediocracy slate. Whether the mass of powerbrokers would consider a non-admin who instead has had RL experience of decisions that affect individual's liberty would be interesting.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:01 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:

Yes, other than a blocked editor not being able to nominate themselves. Can someone nominate another person?

The way to honestly block evade is edit via IP while signing one's user name. Logged out, I just tried the nomination form as a test, and you have to be logged in to an account. It seems pretty clear that the process is intended for self-submission, and it would easily become a ridiculous fail to try to do a nomination with a bunch of "on behalf of" statements. My mistake about the blocked candidate possibility then, sorry.

I'd be overjoyed with a single Wikipediocracy candidate whoever it were, but Captain Occam is probably right that established and conventional possibilities are best. Alison would probably be undefeatable because of the abundance basement dwelling and socially inept male voters in awe of a female on the Internet, but Cla68 would be cool, and I've not a thing against SB Johnny that I recall. Malleus Fatuorum could be a rousing and successful candidate. I'd support him but his temperament is not a good fit, and he probably doesn't want to do all the administrativeness of it. Who else we got?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Triptych wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:

The way to honestly block evade is edit via IP while signing one's user name. Logged out, I just tried the nomination form as a test, and you have to be logged in to an account. It seems pretty clear that the process is intended for self-submission, and it would easily become a ridiculous fail to try to do a nomination with a bunch of "on behalf of" statements. My mistake about the blocked candidate possibility then, sorry.

I'd be overjoyed with a single Wikipediocracy candidate whoever it were, but Captain Occam is probably right that established and conventional possibilities are best. Alison would probably be undefeatable because of the abundance basement dwelling and socially inept male voters in awe of a female on the Internet, but Cla68 would be cool, and I've not a thing against SB Johnny that I recall. Malleus Fatuorum could be a rousing and successful candidate. I'd support him but his temperament is not a good fit, and he probably doesn't want to do all the administrativeness of it. Who else we got?
Malleus would receive more NUKE votes than supports, I think. Not even close to electable.

Alison would win.

RfB

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:41 am

Nope, guys - sorry. Not going to happen.
-- Allie

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 am

Alison wrote:Nope, guys - sorry. Not going to happen.
Too smart to run...

RfB

Alison
Habitué

Unread post by Alison » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:03 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Too smart to run...

RfB
Too busy IRL to run, too jaded to run, too cynical to run, too tired to run.

It's a shitty, thankless job. Furthermore, I get the distinct impression from the way the new privacy / identification policy is going down on Meta, that in the event of legal issues, the WMF wouldn't think twice about hanging an ArbCom volunteer out to dry.
-- Allie

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 am

eppur si muove wrote:I'm almost tempted but not as part of a Wikipediocracy slate. Whether the mass of powerbrokers would consider a non-admin who instead has had RL experience of decisions that affect individual's liberty would be interesting.
Saving you the trouble of a run, the answer is "no."

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:22 am

Alison wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Too smart to run...

RfB

It's a shitty, thankless job. Furthermore, I get the distinct impression from the way the new privacy / identification policy is going down on Meta, that in the event of legal issues, the WMF wouldn't think twice about hanging an ArbCom volunteer out to dry.
It actually presents an enormous liability risk.

That would make an excellent and timely blog post if somebody wants to do the research.

RfB

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:14 am

Alison wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Too smart to run...

RfB
It's a shitty, thankless job.
It is the arbitrators themselves who make the job shitty.
IMO one of the biggest problem with the arbcom is a complete lack of openness.
Besides as I said elsewhere a normal person cannot survive the arbcom: he will either leave it one way or another, or get as cowardly, power-hungry and dishonest as all current arbitrators are.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Too smart to run...

RfB
Probably most of you are; that's why you're here. I wish I had the time; but not even close; I am also not even close to being too smart to run.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Alison wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Too smart to run...

RfB

I've got a proposal for you, my dear girl.

You run for ARBCOM and I'll do the dirty work using your account and email.
You'd win election easily and I have just the right amount of bile to go all Judge Vigilant on these guys.

I'm thinking win-win-win here.

Partners?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Harrumph. Still only nine candidates with like six hours to self-nominate. With the exception of GregJackP, that daring agent who once maintained an alternate account for "personal safety purposes" and is wildcarded into the lead as a once permanently-blocked content editor, none of these are breaking out in my view and a couple or three are intolerable.

AGK, Floquenbeam, Gamaliel, GregJackP, Ks0stm, RegentsPark, Richwales, Secret, Seraphimblade.

AGK the Policy Theorist is completely intolerable obnoxious little weasel, he's saying in his questions there that Phil Sandifer had to be banned for policy, but that was the case where the arbs ran totally amok off-project even and on a tip by a source they anonymously protect, on an "outing" charge of which like five sixths of it Cla68 had openly disclosed. There was previously no claimed authority for the arbs to sleuth and punish off-wiki actions. Where will this new paradigm go if not stomped out by the new crew in an hurry?

Floquenbeam simply has failed to meet the "tell Arbcom everything or else" disclosure requirement for candidacy, no matter how wrong I consider that requirement to be.

Secret is a cheap little twerp with an hundred alternate accounts that just casually and contemptuously and permanently blocked GuidoGY, a content and image contributor of seven years, for an hot act in a moment where he said "we'll see what the court says" about his objections on the use of his pictures. No warning. No policy link. No cool-down block.

I'm not really sure about the rest of them, but at first glance, a lackluster bunch of bananas!

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Triptych wrote:Harrumph. Still only nine candidates with like six hours to self-nominate. With the exception of GregJackP, that daring agent who once maintained an alternate account for "personal safety purposes" and is wildcarded into the lead as a once permanently-blocked content editor, none of these are breaking out in my view and a couple or three are intolerable.

AGK, Floquenbeam, Gamaliel, GregJackP, Ks0stm, RegentsPark, Richwales, Secret, Seraphimblade.

AGK the Policy Theorist is completely intolerable obnoxious little weasel, he's saying in his questions there that Phil Sandifer had to be banned for policy, but that was the case where the arbs ran totally amok off-project even and on a tip by a source they anonymously protect, on an "outing" charge of which like five sixths of it Cla68 had openly disclosed. There was previously no claimed authority for the arbs to sleuth and punish off-wiki actions. Where will this new paradigm go if not stomped out by the new crew in an hurry?

Floquenbeam simply has failed to meet the "tell Arbcom everything or else" disclosure requirement for candidacy, no matter how wrong I consider that requirement to be.

Secret is a cheap little twerp with an hundred alternate accounts that just casually and contemptuously and permanently blocked GuidoGY, a content and image contributor of seven years, for an hot act in a moment where he said "we'll see what the court says" about his objections on the use of his pictures. No warning. No policy link. No cool-down block.

I'm not really sure about the rest of them, but at first glance, a lackluster bunch of bananas!
See my comments in this thread for what I think about RegentsPark. Activist admins who don’t care about WP:INVOLVED are a dime a dozen nowadays, but it isn’t so common for one of them to try to become an arbitrator.

As I said in another thread, now that we know there probably won’t be anybody from WO running this year, I’d like to see a blog post exposing the unsavory details about all of this year’s candidates. It’s especially important this year because the candidates aren’t competing with each other; any of them who have above 50% support will get elected. Getting above 50% support isn’t very difficult, and the bar for becoming an arbitrator ought to be higher than that. We can create some challenge for this year’s candidates by giving Wikipedians reasons to not support them.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Vigilant wrote:I've got a proposal for you, my dear girl.

You'd win election easily and I have just the right amount of bile to go all Judge Vigilant on these guys.

Partners?
WP:CANVASSING!!!11!!! Not of the body!!! :deadhorse:

But seriously, ladies and germs......these "candidates" are pathetic. Mostly AN/I trolls, idiot patrollers, and Mr. Kelly. Pointless to discuss their "records" or "viability", because there's not a shred of "reform" in any of them. They will be installed, Arbcom will continue to be a joke, and Wikipedia will continue to bleed contributors.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 pm

EricBarbour wrote:But seriously, ladies and germs......these "candidates" are pathetic. Mostly AN/I trolls, idiot patrollers, and Mr. Kelly. Pointless to discuss their "records" or "viability", because there's not a shred of "reform" in any of them. They will be installed, Arbcom will continue to be a joke, and Wikipedia will continue to bleed contributors.
But, we now have a "Great Old One" in the race: David Gerard! W00T!

Wait... do we hate him too? ;)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Triptych wrote:But, we now have a "Great Old One" in the race: David Gerard! W00T!

"Hate" him? He's too pathetic to hate. He's the crazy uncle who lives in an attic and thinks he's a vampire. Flap flap flap flop.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Triptych wrote:But, we now have a "Great Old One" in the race: David Gerard! W00T!

"Hate" him? He's too pathetic to hate. He's the crazy uncle who lives in an attic and thinks he's a vampire. Flap flap flap flop.
He's just so very sad.
He's like a 50 year old dude who gets big ear gauges to try to stay "hip" and "down" with the "homies".

Just pathetic.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Back during that RFC against Youreallycan one of the blocks I looked at involved Gamaliel. He edit-warred with YRC to insert a statement that a guy sent a racist e-mail, some popcorn controversy of the day, and YRC tried to replace it with more restrained language. YRC called him an "edit-warring partisan" and said he should slapped with a fish, i.e. "trouted", but Gamaliel would have none of that and repeatedly redacted the comment as a "personal attack" on him. He finally just blocked YRC for an hour.

Gamaliel's user page is also revealing in that it contains a quote from Gerard saying: "Proposed general rule: if you launch your complaint on Wikipedia Review, you're already wrong."

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Back during that RFC against Youreallycan one of the blocks I looked at involved Gamaliel. He edit-warred with YRC to insert a statement that a guy sent a racist e-mail, some popcorn controversy of the day, and YRC tried to replace it with more restrained language. YRC called him an "edit-warring partisan" and said he should slapped with a fish, i.e. "trouted", but Gamaliel would have none of that and repeatedly redacted the comment as a "personal attack" on him. He finally just blocked YRC for an hour.
Gamaliel's (T-C-L)user page is also revealing in that it contains a quote from David Gerard (T-C-L):
"Proposed general rule: if you launch your complaint on Wikipedia Review, you're already wrong."
Gamaliel (T-C-L) has also displayed a special interest in Wikipediocracy.

He backed up administrator Doug Weller (T-C-L)'s misuse of administrative tools on Wikipediocracy (T-H-L). Gamaliel (T-C-L)removed my complaint twice---thrice citing WP:Civility (T-C-L)).

Gamaliel has used WP:Civility to silence criticisms of Administrative abuse, such as Doug Weller's violations of WP:RS, WP:V, WP:EditWarring, WP:Involved, etc.
"Gamalielese"

he writes the worst English I have even encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean-soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm (I was about to write abscess!) of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash.

A tight fabric of ideas would weary and exasperate the audience; what it wants is a simple loud burble of words, a procession of phrases that roar, a series of whoops. This is what it got in the inaugural address of the Hon. Warren Gamaliel Harding. And this is what it will get for four long years—unless God sends a miracle and the corruptible puts on incorruption…Almost I long for the sweeter song, the rubber-stamps of more familiar design, the gentler and more seemly bosh of the late Woodrow.

When Dr. Harding prepares a speech he does not think of it in terms of an educated reader locked up in jail, but in terms of a great horde of stoneheads gathered around a stand. That is to say, the thing is always a stump speech; it is conceived as a stump speech and written as a stump speech. More, it is a stump speech addressed to the sort of audience that the speaker has been used to all of his life, to wit, an audience of small town yokels, of low political serfs, or morons scarcely able to understand a word of more than two syllables, and wholly able to pursue a logical idea for more than two centimeters.

Such imbeciles do not want ideas—that is, new ideas, ideas that are unfamiliar, ideas that challenge their attention. What they want is simply a gaudy series of platitudes, of sonorous nonsense driven home with gestures. As I say, they can’t understand many
words of more than two syllables, but that is not saying that they do not esteem such words. On the contrary, they like them and demand them. The roll of incomprehensible polysyllables enchants them. They like phrases which thunder like salvos of artillery. Let that thunder sound, and they take all the rest on trust. If a sentence begins furiously and then peters out into fatuity, they are still satisfied. If a phrase has a punch in it, they do not ask that it also have a meaning. If a word slips off the tongue like a ship going down the ways, they are content and applaud it and wait for the next.

But is such bosh out of place in stump speech? Obviously not. It is precisely and thoroughly in place of stump speech. A tight fabric of ideas would weary and exasperate the audience; what it wants is a simple loud burble of words, a procession of phrases that roar, a series of whoops. This is what it got in the inaugural address of the Hon. Warren Gamaliel Harding. And this is what it will get for four long years—unless God sends a miracle and the corruptible puts on incorruption…Almost I long for the sweeter song, the rubber-stamps of more familiar design, the gentler and more seemly bosh of the late Woodrow.

H.L. Mencken – – Baltimore Sun – 3/7/21
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:41 am

If Gerard's wild scheme succeeds, then all banned users here gain the right to run. He's opening a can of worms.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alison
Habitué

Unread post by Alison » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 am

Partners?
:D

I'm thinking your very saying this here will have given the whole thing the kiss of death :) zOMG - she's Vigilant!

(Indeed, I am vigilant, but I'm not Vigilant)
-- Allie

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 am

Alison wrote:

Partners?

I'm thinking your very saying this here will have given the whole thing the kiss of death :) zOMG - she's Vigilant!

The very knowing of it might, however, secure you a lot of "first against the wall" votes. I think you'd be surprised about how well you might do. (Is that enough stirring of the waters? :))

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:24 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:If Gerard's wild scheme succeeds, then all banned users here gain the right to run. He's opening a can of worms.
That group appears to be a wee bit angry. If they get elected perhaps they're angry enough to shake things up a little with WP's governance, although I don't really think that's their goal.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:33 am

Cla68 wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:If Gerard's wild scheme succeeds, then all banned users here gain the right to run. He's opening a can of worms.
That group appears to be a wee bit angry. If they get elected perhaps they're angry enough to shake things up a little with WP's governance, although I don't really think that's their goal.
Seriously, I highly doubt that will happen. There isn't enough anger to overcome a completely corrupt society. Sock armies will be mustered to prevent any "real change". Jimbo will show up to threaten people in private mail, links will be oversighted, evidence will be destroyed, votes will be heeled. That's how they always did this bullshit before, why would they not do it again? Remember the SOPA strike vote?

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Alison wrote:

Partners?

I like the combined candidate idea, you could call yourselves "Vigalson."

On another note, all, excuse me here about getting the deadline for nominations wrong, but in case you were mislead you ended up a day early and a dollar surplus, better than the alternative.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Hurrah for TDA The Devil's Advocate! Everyone please set aside any past differences and get behind his Arbcom candidacy.

EDIT: TDA, it's an innocuous mistake that several candidates are making, but in your statement you're supposed to say you'll comply with the WMF practices on non-public date (identify yourself to it) and tell any alternate or prior accounts (if you have any).
Last edited by Triptych on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Triptych wrote:Hurrah for TDA The Devil's Advocate! Everyone please set aside any past differences and get behind his Arbcom candidacy.
Hasten the day. :rotfl:
This is not a signature.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Triptych wrote:Hurrah for TDA The Devil's Advocate! Everyone please set aside any past differences and get behind his Arbcom candidacy.
Accidental double post, sorry - I'd apologise - but we probably have apologism covered here, now... :D
Last edited by Jim on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:20 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Sometimes the word "surreal" just doesn't suffice, does it? Comedy Platinum (Gold insufficiently rare).... :banana:

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:52 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Well, I have to at least give him half a humor point for the "call me maybe" edit summary.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:05 am

My wiki-gnome account should meet or exceed the minimum 500 mainspace edits for next year's election. I'm not sure what I would be able to do if I should somehow win in 2014. The Wikipedia Community is essentially the Executive, Legislative, and most of the Judicial branches of power. The Arbitration Committee is the Supreme Court with a narrow scope and is only granted power by the Community. I couldn't make new policy, only determine if existing policy is violated. I could encourage the creation of policy, but not create it "from the chair," so to speak. ArbCom is not really a great place to launch a wide Wikipedia reform movement. Honestly, I'm surprised ArbCom has gotten away with as much as it has with the Community's implied (i.e. "not everyone complaining loudly") consent. Maybe I'm misreading the situation?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:05 am

Mason wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Well, I have to at least give him half a humor point for the "call me maybe" edit summary.
When someone in the United States runs for president without the support of either major political party, a lot of the time it’s not because they really expect to win, but because a presidential campaign is one of the best ways to bring publicity to the issues they’re standing for. Even though I don’t think TDA’s odds of winning are very high, his campaign could still be valuable if he were to use it in the same way.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Given The Devil's Advocate (T-C-L) consistence defense of Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s behavior towards children and TDA's behavior on the Wikipediocracy (T-H-L)article, TDA shall not receive my vote.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Given The Devil's Advocate (T-C-L) consistence defense of Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s behavior towards children and TDA's behavior on the Wikipediocracy (T-H-L)article, TDA shall not receive my vote.
We're gonna need a grief counselor in here...STAT!

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 am

Vigilant wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Given The Devil's Advocate (T-C-L) consistence defense of Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s behavior towards children and TDA's behavior on the Wikipediocracy (T-H-L)article, TDA shall not receive my vote.
We're gonna need a grief counselor in here...STAT!
And a lighter!
This is not a signature.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41 am

You guys. :wub:

I am actually sort of serious, though, even if the odds are fairly low. Worst thing that can happen is I lose as many would expect and some people say some mean things about me beforehand.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Worst thing that can happen is I lose as many would expect and some people say some mean things about me beforehand.
You really don't know Wikipedians very well. Are you really sure that this is the worst that can happen?
Time for a new signature.

Bottled_Spider
Critic
Wikipedia User: None
Wikipedia Review Member: Bottled_Spider

Unread post by Bottled_Spider » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:You guys. :wub:

Worst thing that can happen is I lose as many would expect and some people say some mean things about me beforehand.
The worst thing that can happen is you win and some people say some mean things about you afterwards.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 pm

The worst thing that could happen is that you win...and like it.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Vigilant wrote:The worst thing that could happen is that you win
Too long. I fixed it.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:57 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:You really don't know Wikipedians very well. Are you really sure that this is the worst that can happen?
Lol, ok, it is the worst thing I think is likely to happen.

- Noam Chomsky

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Winning wouldnt be so bad, but if some of the others win too....

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Anroth wrote:Winning wouldnt be so bad, but if some of the others win too....
It's a win-win for everyone here. :popcorn:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Lol, ok, it is the worst thing I think is likely to happen.
We'd all be laughing with you if we thought you were just out for lulz, but it's more like watching a tsunami since we know you aren't. Kinda not funny, because you're one of those "pedophiles have rights too!" creeps that most of us have a hard time relating to.
This is not a signature.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:Lol, ok, it is the worst thing I think is likely to happen.
We'd all be laughing with you if we thought you were just out for lulz, but it's more like watching a tsunami since we know you aren't. Kinda not funny, because you're one of those "pedophiles have rights too!" creeps that most of us have a hard time relating to.
I'm chuckling maliciously sotto voce if that counts.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing