Gibraltarpedia - rock solid

EricBarbour

kołdry

Re: Gibraltarpedia - rock solid

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 am

Gosh, how many times was Mr. Owen pointed out on WR in the past as a "very bad actor"?
There is little difference between him and Gerard, it's just that Gerard is more openly a
professional troll. Owen is sneaky (and not very good at being sneaky).
Why don't you ask Roger? Seriously. If you're interested in actually getting answers rather than just provoking drama, why aren't you asking him directly? Prioryman (talk) 20:03, 17 September 2012 (UTC)

I asked this question on the Wikimedia UK mailing list, and I have not received an answer to date. I would like to ask this question in public, and I would like to be given an answer in public. Roger is well aware of discussions on this page. --JN466 21:08, 17 September 2012 (UTC)

So because you've not yet received an answer, you've escalated it to Jimbo's talk page. In what way is this not drama whoring? Prioryman (talk) 21:43, 17 September 2012 (UTC)

In what way is calling another user a whore, or (as you did below) invoking the term "witch hunt" intended to help? Such terminology invariably makes things worse. Let's all calm down please. Beeblebrox (talk) 21:47, 17 September 2012 (UTC)

It's better than that - he came here first - David Gerard (talk) 11:14, 18 September 2012 (UTC)
Reminds me (just a bit) of a 4chan thread, with teenaged boys calling each other "fags" over and over.

I wonder if this is the sound a Wikipedia makes, as it falls apart.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 am

The story is leaking to the media. See thread in the News and Media forum.
A Wikipedia trustee and a Wikipedian In Residence have been editing the online encyclopedia on behalf of PR clients. Add the discovery of an SEO business run on the side, and this tempest is out of its teapot.

Concerned Wikipedians raised the alarm Monday that two trusted men -- one a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation UK, the other a respected Wikipedian In Residence -- are allegedly editing Wikipedia pages and facilitating front-page placement for their pay-for-play, publicity-seeking clients.

Jimmy Wales is not pleased.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 am

EricBarbour wrote:I wonder if this is the sound a Wikipedia makes, as it falls apart.
I doubt it. Wikipedia has the inertia of a battleship - it'll plow on for years to com. The hogs are just now shouldering themselves up to the trough for the long haul. Wikipedia won't fall apart until something replaces it.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 am

Vigilant wrote:I have a couple of questions:

At what point does the WMF sit up and take notice?

Why does wikipediocracy have to be the ethics watchdog for the WMF?

Why doesn't the WMF have someone watching the store for these obvious conflicts of interest?

What is it that the WMF does?
A couple answers:

1. When the shit hits the fan in the mainstream media.

2. Because that is its role, akin to the role of an opposition press in a democratic republic.

3. I think that is probably Jimmy Wales' role. We'll see.

4. They run Wikipedia.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 am

EricBarbour wrote:Mabbett has been blocked for one year. TWICE. At the direction of Arbcom.
He has also been eternabanned, repeatedly, for cause -- and then unbanned later.
Not to mention given a brand new topic ban just over a month ago.

It does seem strange how many of Wikipedia's "ambassadors" are among those banned, blocked, or otherwise restricted by their fellow Wikipedians.

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 am

It seems the press articles back in July, noting the approach to WMUK from the Gibraltar Museum and noting Roger Bamkin as director of WMUK, were more or less copied from a Gibraltar government press release..
-- Silent Editor

Silent Editor
Regular

Unread post by Silent Editor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:06 am

And looking further at Gibraltar government press releases this one is interesting:
Directors from Wikimedia UK will be in Gibraltar on Monday and Tuesday of next
week to offer their assistance to all those persons interested in volunteering for the
GibraltarpediA project.
-- Silent Editor

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

I have asked Prioryman if his upcoming trip to Gibraltar was gifted and, if so, by whom. I have asked Orangemike to block the "Victuallers" account since it clearly violates the policy. And, I have asked Sue Gardner for her opinion.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 am

Mason wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Mabbett has been blocked for one year. TWICE. At the direction of Arbcom.
He has also been eternabanned, repeatedly, for cause -- and then unbanned later.
Not to mention given a brand new topic ban just over a month ago.

It does seem strange how many of Wikipedia's "ambassadors" are among those banned, blocked, or otherwise restricted by their fellow Wikipedians.
Assuming good faith, of course, it's strange that Mr. Mabbett would continue to edit in areas where there's enormous leverage for paying clients. I'm sure it's a coincidence. He doesn't think about who pays him. Why would a paid editor allow that to cross his mind? I mean, assume good faith. And stuff. Stop being so mean.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 am

The wheels have been scary quiet. Barely a peep from Jimbo, Sue or the WMUK crowd. Someone even managed to muzzle Prioryman, apparently. The non-public/secret channels must be going crazy with foot stomping and yelling.

Silent Editor
Regular

Unread post by Silent Editor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am

Cla68 wrote:I have asked Prioryman if his upcoming trip to Gibraltar was gifted and, if so, by whom.
And and the question has been removed by Prioryman.
-- Silent Editor

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 am

Silent Editor wrote:
Cla68 wrote:I have asked Prioryman if his upcoming trip to Gibraltar was gifted and, if so, by whom.
A legitimate question, rudely dismissed (certainly worth an AN/I report) and in relation to WMUK one that must be answered to comply with charity policy. I feel a permaban for Prioryman - especially as he has already been perma-banned already a couple of times.
Time for a new signature.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 am

Silent Editor wrote:
Dont think anyone expected an answer to that :)

I saw this on the mailing list however and it was kind of amusing.
-On 19/09/12 07:59, Doug Weller wrote:
-I see a request to block Roger's User:Victuallers account as it is in
-contravention of our Username policy on promotional names -
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... onal_names

-Normally for an account this old (2007) we might not ask for a change
-of name, but given the circumstances I think a name change might be a
-good idea.

-Doug Weller

You mean "Victuallers Ltd" as compared to User:Victuallers?

Name & Registered Office:
VICTUALLERS LTD
xxxxxxx
Company No. 07984484

Date of Incorporation: 09/03/2012

Gordo
Am I mis-reading this, or does Gordo sound a bit sarcastic/pissed off with the whole thing?

dogbiscuit
Retired

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 am

Let's see what Prioryman has been up to in relation to Gibraltar.

1) It seems he is editing lots of Gibraltar articles. Is he getting paid for this directly or indirectly.
2) When people are querying what went on with that, he writes personal attacks to deflect the question, while glibly stating that there is no problem.
3) He is a well-known hanger-on in WMUK and has sought some small grants from WMUK where Roger is involved and may not have recused himself as they were for activities not on a COI project.
4) He has given the appearance of going to Gibraltar in relation to the project but will not answer the question as to whether he is getting any assistance in doing so.

Additionally, he has been banned from Wikipedia a couple of times, was sailing close to the wind in acting as Fae's advocate on the ArbCom page.

This is exactly the sort of character that Wikipediocracy needs to make it a success. If he wants Wikipediocracy closed down, his best way is to leave the project.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 am

Bamkin comments here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Gibraltarpedia (22:25, 18 September 2012 (UTC)). His argument is that it is all OK, because he would always be editing in a neutral manner (and he gives an example). I'm still not sure he understands the idea of 'conflict of interest'. A conflict of interest is where the interests are in conflict, not the activities. And no one has challenged him about the statements by Gibraltar’s Director of Heritage http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=25479 saying about how he was so happy the tourism board was helping with the idea and that they had to be assured that negative articles would not be written.

And on his talk page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Victuallers he has said that "the main thrust of the contract is the creation of QRpedia plaques to go around Gibraltar and for training sessions. Do ask if you want more information. The idea that we are developing a contract across not just national but continental borders is very cool". That 'cool' word again.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am

Peter Damian wrote:And on his talk page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Victuallers he has said that "the main thrust of the contract is the creation of QRpedia plaques to go around Gibraltar and for training sessions. Do ask if you want more information. The idea that we are developing a contract across not just national but continental borders is very cool". That 'cool' word again.
So nominally, he gets paid for producing the plaques. But I would be very surprised if the clients were not to some extent paying for the peace of mind of having a Wikimedia UK director shepherd and manage their Wikipedia-based tourism marketing project (that's how they describe it; they don't describe it as an educational project). His WMUK standing and personal involvement is what gives them confidence. And the involvement is clearly much greater than just producing plaques ... he is training volunteer writers, writing DYK articles for the Wikipedia main page, approving Gibraltar articles for the main page ... a full-service supplier.

And absolutely incompatible with being a Wikimedia trustee.

dogbiscuit
Retired

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 am

Bother, I know what is annoying me about this. Roger has achieved in a couple of weeks what we have been trying to do for years - he has finally managed to get a real consensus between Wikipedians, the public and the critics that there are problems in the governance of Wikipedia.

Why did we bother?

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am

dogbiscuit wrote:Let's see what Prioryman has been up to in relation to Gibraltar.

1) It seems he is editing lots of Gibraltar articles. Is he getting paid for this directly or indirectly.
2) When people are querying what went on with that, he writes personal attacks to deflect the question, while glibly stating that there is no problem.
3) He is a well-known hanger-on in WMUK and has sought some small grants from WMUK where Roger is involved and may not have recused himself as they were for activities not on a COI project.
4) He has given the appearance of going to Gibraltar in relation to the project but will not answer the question as to whether he is getting any assistance in doing so.

Additionally, he has been banned from Wikipedia a couple of times, was sailing close to the wind in acting as Fae's advocate on the ArbCom page.

This is exactly the sort of character that Wikipediocracy needs to make it a success. If he wants Wikipediocracy closed down, his best way is to leave the project.
Isn't there a page in which WMUK lists the grants it has given out? Perhaps it should be checked to see if anyone has received a grant for research about Gibraltar.

dogbiscuit
Retired

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 am

Cla68 wrote:
dogbiscuit wrote:Let's see what Prioryman has been up to in relation to Gibraltar.

Isn't there a page in which WMUK lists the grants it has given out? Perhaps it should be checked to see if anyone has received a grant for research about Gibraltar.
My point is that Roger is a trustee, Chris received some small grants, Chris is on a trip to Gib. Although there is not a direct relationship, the point is that once you get these personal involvements, EVERYTHING is a potential COI as we cannot tell if the trustees are being influenced by their personal relationships over what is best for the charity objectives.

WM UK are giving out travel grants to various people. While there is no specific restriction, these are only available to members. The membership is around 300 people. How many of those 300 are known to WM UK trustees and how many are getting grants? Essentially, can the trustees demonstrate that they are dealing with the membership in an even-handed way?

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

Me:
Peter Damian wrote:After many years, I have come to realise that the most easily concealed form of corruption is the kind that is the boldest and most brazen. Advertise it well, although don't call it by its true name. Try and involve most of the people who would be your internal critics – especially if you are able to implicate them in it. Label it in a way that is familiar and reassuring to everyone. Publicise it widely. That way, no one will imagine it is corruption. They think that everyone else will have scrutinised it carefully, and that because others have endorsed it there can be no possibility of it being what it really is. People always imagine that corruption involves only secrecy and back-handers in dark places, and suitcases full of money.
Bamkin:
I realise that this is a very interesting debate but do try and remember that these facts that are being discovered are public knowledge. The project was announced at Wikimania, no less, with a video that set out the projects plans and expectations. The video made it clear that the minister for tourism was involved and that this was not a WMUK project. The project does not involve me in being paid to create articles. I am creating plaques based on QRpedia, I am supplying training and I am encouraging people to use and edit wikipedia (and open street map et al).

The ownership of the QRpedia domains has been documented in WMUK minutes and it was obvious when I made a presentation at the Wikiconference in 2011 (before I was elected as a director). As Chris has noted the transfer of the intellectual property to WMUK has run on for months. There is no conspiracy. The rights to QRpedia are intended as a gift and cannot be just demanded.

Those who voted for me and/or attended the last wiki AGM/conference are aware that I was (and am) offering my expertise as a consutant. These are the same skills as I was paid for at the end of the Monmouthpedia project. All of this was overseen by the board. The COI conflict meant that I gladly stepped down as Chair but I was asked to stay on as a board member. The board agreed to manage the COI conflict, which I am obviously pleased to comply with.
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/pri ... 09235.html

Chris
Contributor

Unread post by Chris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Me:
Peter Damian wrote:After many years, I have come to realise that the most easily concealed form of corruption is the kind that is the boldest and most brazen. Advertise it well, although don't call it by its true name. Try and involve most of the people who would be your internal critics – especially if you are able to implicate them in it. Label it in a way that is familiar and reassuring to everyone. Publicise it widely. That way, no one will imagine it is corruption. They think that everyone else will have scrutinised it carefully, and that because others have endorsed it there can be no possibility of it being what it really is. People always imagine that corruption involves only secrecy and back-handers in dark places, and suitcases full of money.
Bamkin:
I realise that this is a very interesting debate but do try and remember that these facts that are being discovered are public knowledge. The project was announced at Wikimania, no less, with a video that set out the projects plans and expectations. The video made it clear that the minister for tourism was involved and that this was not a WMUK project. The project does not involve me in being paid to create articles. I am creating plaques based on QRpedia, I am supplying training and I am encouraging people to use and edit wikipedia (and open street map et al).

The ownership of the QRpedia domains has been documented in WMUK minutes and it was obvious when I made a presentation at the Wikiconference in 2011 (before I was elected as a director). As Chris has noted the transfer of the intellectual property to WMUK has run on for months. There is no conspiracy. The rights to QRpedia are intended as a gift and cannot be just demanded.

Those who voted for me and/or attended the last wiki AGM/conference are aware that I was (and am) offering my expertise as a consutant. These are the same skills as I was paid for at the end of the Monmouthpedia project. All of this was overseen by the board. The COI conflict meant that I gladly stepped down as Chair but I was asked to stay on as a board member. The board agreed to manage the COI conflict, which I am obviously pleased to comply with.
LOL, so, this is the sort of secret conspiracy where corruption is craftily at the highest level by being openly announced as a nasty plan for conspiracy and corruption well in advance of Bamkin even pursuing paid work? He went on to tell the membership all about it during the election and made a presentation about it all at Wikimania where Jimbo was a key speaker (yet Jimbo now handily denies all knowledge)?

Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't. It looks to me that the guy has been so open he's been on the verge of crucifying himself.

What a strange view of the world where everyone must be corrupt. If I thought that way, I would totally believe that politicians were being craftily replaced by alien replicants. :D

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Chris wrote:
Bamkin:

LOL, so, this is the sort of secret conspiracy where corruption is craftily at the highest level by being openly announced as a nasty plan for conspiracy and corruption well in advance of Bamkin even pursuing paid work? He went on to tell the membership all about it during the election and made a presentation about it all at Wikimania where Jimbo was a key speaker (yet Jimbo now handily denies all knowledge)?

Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't. It looks to me that the guy has been so open he's been on the verge of crucifying himself.

What a strange view of the world where everyone must be corrupt. If I thought that way, I would totally believe that politicians were being craftily replaced by alien replicants. :D
Yes, this is exactly what I said. – " the most easily concealed form of corruption is the kind that is the boldest and most brazen". Advertise it openly and in advance, without using its true name etc. Read what I say. I have put it in bold above.

On 'damned if you do etc', the point is not to get involved in fundamentally corrupt and dishonourable activities in the first place. Whether you keep it secret or not, either way it's wrong. Yes?

dogbiscuit
Retired

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Chris wrote:
Bamkin:

You don't get it, do you?

Charities are given certain financial advantages on the expectation that they act (only) for the public good. As over the years, charities have been subverted for whatever reason, the rules governing charities are quite strict. Trustees, for example, can never be paid for their work in running the charity, and must absolutely discount any personal advantage in any decision they make, they must set their entire personal life to one side while being part of the charity.

There are two fundamental issues here: one the trustees of a charity being involved in business dealings which potentially benefit an individual without being directly in line with the objectives of the charity (simple example, the subversion of DYK and the subsequent concerns raised that WM UK seem to be involved in messing about with Wikipedia to the detriment of the project); secondly, we have an individual who has a business model that depends on Wikipedia, and is using WM UK as a means to inflate his standing with the customers, and also seems to have been gaining business out of the charity.

Further, there are a group of individuals who seem to be doing commercial work closely allied to WM UK.

There are two solutions: WMUK does not need to be a charity, it could be a business without the charitable aspect. As soon as the charity aspect comes in, it is not a case of "managing COI issues" it is a case that they should be avoided unless it can be shown that there is a direct benefit to the charity. I don't think that is the case. Effectively, as it stands, Roger is gaining a benefit from the taxpayer for his business as without WMUK it is doubtful he could be doing the consultancy he is doing. What commission or other benefits is he providing back to the charity when he is so enthusiastically basing his earnings upon that charity?

Secondly, there is no reason for Roger to be part of the WMUK management. Just because he is a good egg, or is a mate, or does things that WMUK see as useful, he should not be in there, and should be at arm's length from the organisation. The fact that he is trading off the name of WM UK, and that is indisputable, is one of the conflicts. WM UK do not get a benefit from that, but are getting damage. Any uninvolved trustees would have put a stop to this and insisted that there was a formal disassociation of the consultancy work from the charity, but it is clear that clients have been sold his insider expertise.

You cannot mix a private business and a charity. It is very simple.

Further point: given that Roger's business is fundamentally linked to WM UK, it seems that the COI issue seems to have been restricted to actual financial deals, but what has not been understood is that he will have a general influence on the total policy that could be seen as promoting activities that ally to his business interests. So he was heavily involved in setting up Monmouthopedia, not earning directly, but then jumped over the wall when that was set up. It could well be argued that his decisions in the run up to his leaving to work as a consultant were conflicted.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Chris wrote:... Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't. It looks to me that the guy has been so open he's been on the verge of crucifying himself ...
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, Chris.

here's some more things for you to consider (in addition to the excellent posts above);

How do you think the people who've volunteering for years to build Wikipedia feel? How about the volunteers on this particular project - did they all know that the person directing them was being paid and making money off their work?

Would Bamkin have gained this paying work without his WMUK connections?

Are there people willing to do this work for free, and is Bamkin's example displacing them. How will this affect the culture of the project? Will more and more of the insiders and people in authority start picking up paid consulting work, making money off the backs of unsuspecting volunteers?

What about tourist destinations that compete with Gibraltar? Will they now have to hire Bamkin for big bucks in order to get equal representation on Wikipedia, similar to that of Gibraltar?

What about other paid consultants who were just as open as Bamkin - you know, the ones who were banned and vilified and excoriated for years by the Wikipedia machine? Now all of the sudden it's ok for people to make money editing Wikipedia, as long as they are insiders?

Chris, you can't simply explain this all away with one man's (supposedly) good intentions.
Last edited by TungstenCarbide on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Picked up by Le Monde. Isn't Le Monde one of the most prominent newspapers in France?

roger_pearse
Regular
Wikipedia User: Roger Pearse

Unread post by roger_pearse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:Wikipedia won't fall apart until something replaces it.
Agreed.

What would that something look like?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Chris
Contributor

Unread post by Chris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:
Chris wrote:... Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't. It looks to me that the guy has been so open he's been on the verge of crucifying himself ...
The point being that Bamkin appears to have desperately tried, for a least a year, to get feedback and comment from everyone in sight. This included the membership of the UK chapter (who were very happy to vote him back to the board, a factor the Charity Commission would be delighted to see) and everyone at Wikimania (including Jimbo and Sue Gardener), who apparently all got special brochures about Bamkin's project at Monmouth. As far as I can tell, none of these luminaries said a peep in complaint. The communiteh that appears to be rushing to pile on to cause as much damage as quickly as possible to Bamkin and the UK chapter, had at least a year and packs of information to respond to. This is only of interest because Jimbo reacts to the crap on his talk page. That small but shouty part of the communiteh that are reacting to the current soapbox drama don't really have a leg to stand on do they? :blink:

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Cla68 wrote:Picked up by Le Monde. Isn't Le Monde one of the most prominent newspapers in France?
What is needed now is for the Gruaniad to pick up on the story and call him Roger Blumpkin.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Chris wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:
The point being that Bamkin appears to have desperately tried, for a least a year, to get feedback and comment from everyone in sight.
As PD pointed out above, Bamkin is not "damned if he don't". He didn't have to pursue paid consulting work, or making money of the backs of volunteers, or securing contracts by virtue of his affiliation with WMUK.
Chris wrote:...This included the membership of the UK chapter (who were very happy to vote him back to the board, a factor the Charity Commission would be delighted to see) and everyone at Wikimania (including Jimbo and Sue Gardener), who apparently all got special brochures about Bamkin's project at Monmouth. As far as I can tell, none of these luminaries said a peep in complaint...
I wonder how clearly he presented the paid consulting angle?
Chris wrote:... The communiteh that appears to be rushing to pile on to cause as much damage as quickly as possible to Bamkin and the UK chapter, had at least a year and packs of information to respond to. This is only of interest because Jimbo reacts to the crap on his talk page. That small but shouty part of the communiteh that are reacting to the current soapbox drama don't really have a leg to stand on do they? :blink:
Where was all your self-righteous indignation and chest thumping when Kohs was being unfairly eviscerated?
Last edited by TungstenCarbide on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm

The project was announced at Wikimania, no less, with a video that set out the projects plans and expectations.
Finally, I can make a literary analogy that will be appreciated by the average "Wikipedian." This is much like the opening pages of the hitchhikers guide the galaxy, in which alien monsters explain that news of earth's impending destruction had been posted in the hall of records on a far off planet for months.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Cla68 wrote:Picked up by Le Monde. Isn't Le Monde one of the most prominent newspapers in France?
Yes. It appears to be a carbon copy of the CNET article, but that doesn't matter. I will be amused if it gets into the Spanish press.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Bamkin: The video made it clear that the minister for tourism was involved and that this was not a WMUK project.
Morton: You mean the video that ends with the words "Wikimedia UK are looking forward to supporting the project"?
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/pri ... 09239.html

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Bamkin: The video made it clear that the minister for tourism was involved and that this was not a WMUK project.
Morton: You mean the video that ends with the words "Wikimedia UK are looking forward to supporting the project"?
Password protected link.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:24 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:Bamkin: The video made it clear that the minister for tourism was involved and that this was not a WMUK project.
Password protected link.
Try this http://www.mail-archive.com/wikimediauk ... 06121.html

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Yes. It appears to be a carbon copy of the CNET article, but that doesn't matter. I will be amused if it gets into the Spanish press.
It's currently on the Baquía front page. ¡Qué escándalo!
Un supuesto caso de corrupción sacude la Wikipedia

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Slashdotted:http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/09/19 ... id-editing

(edit) Ah, now I see Roger has beaten me to it on the other thread. Sorry for the repetition.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Here's some paranoid blather from David Gerard. He seems indignant that people don't see things his way. This is common, I believe, for small insulated groups. They are prone to wearing blinders. WMUK as a whole didn't see the problem until the perception of an independent community came to bear. Characters like Gerard prefer the comfort of their own echo chamber, while the victim of Gerard's rant is willing to stand on his words and defend his views both here and at wikimediauk-l. Just sayin.

<edit> From Wnt;
"I have to give them credit, whoever they are - they've certainly oiled up the media pipeline, and finding these two unrelated cases to publish together and make each look worse than it is was a stroke of genius. I don't know where they did all this planning either - I assume they must have some new forum, apparently one more secure than ArbCom's lists."

More secure than the ArbCom's lists! I want in!!!

dogbiscuit
Retired

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:36 pm

On the UK mailing list, Roger says he offered to resign twice.

This is a classic "avoiding the appearance of doing something wrong while continuing to do it" move - he should not have offered, he should have resigned. The board should not have insisted that he stay on.

What was the motivation for the board to resist this resignation? There was a clear understanding that there was an issue of conflict, yet by seeking to treat the issue as individual interactions that could be dealt with on a case by case basis, they have managed to cause a problem. It is an actual example of putting personal relationships over the interests of the charity.

Just a correction to the mailing list comments (stage whisper here) - it was Wikipedians who first started identifying that there was a problem and that the problem centred on Roger, we just collated the additional information. There has been no co-ordinated attempt to run this story in the press, but there have been like-minded individuals who have clearly done their own thing.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:Here's some paranoid blather from David Gerard. He seems indignant that people don't see things his way. This is common, I believe, for small insulated groups. They are prone to wearing blinders. WMUK as a whole didn't see the problem until the perception of an independent community came to bear. Characters like Gerard prefer the comfort of their own echo chamber, while the victim of Gerard's rant is willing to stand on his words and defend his views both here and at wikimediauk-l. Just sayin.

<edit> From Wnt;
"I have to give them credit, whoever they are - they've certainly oiled up the media pipeline, and finding these two unrelated cases to publish together and make each look worse than it is was a stroke of genius. I don't know where they did all this planning either - I assume they must have some new forum, apparently one more secure than ArbCom's lists."

More secure than the ArbCom's lists! I want in!!!
Obviously, Wnt is one of their "grand nuts." He's not even taken seriously by the host. But his paranoid ramblings are simply an extreme example of a very common reaction over there. "We are Wikipedia. Wikipedia is good. Good things can never be bad. If bad things are being said about Wikipedia, it's the product of a conspiracy among bad people. Because Wikipedia is good." Etc. etc.

Some folks over there get it, of course. But a large number don't seem to be able to get their heads around the fact that a lot of their behaviors are seen by outsiders (when they are made aware of them) as unethical and corrupt. I don't even know what to make of Mr. Bamkin's comments, which boil down to "You elected me. If I was capable of unethical behavior you would not have elected me. Ergo, I have done nothing unethical." Is he really that stupid? Is he really that (clumsily) cynical and manipulative? Something else?

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:
What was the motivation for the board to resist this resignation? There was a clear understanding that there was an issue of conflict, yet by seeking to treat the issue as individual interactions that could be dealt with on a case by case basis, they have managed to cause a problem. It is an actual example of putting personal relationships over the interests of the charity.
I have come to believe that some of them (many of them?) don't actually see the problem. Which in some ways is more alarming than if they were all featherbedders trying to get a free lunch.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:
Just a correction to the mailing list comments (stage whisper here) - it was Wikipedians who first started identifying that there was a problem and that the problem centred on Roger, we just collated the additional information. There has been no co-ordinated attempt to run this story in the press, but there have been like-minded individuals who have clearly done their own thing.
I would be happy to say that we uncovered this. Sadly, we didn't. This forum has helped get the word out (thanks in particular to our member "Moonage Daydream") but the wife of Wikimedia UK's Office and Development Manager Richard Symonds was (as far as I can tell) the first one to bring this up on Wikipedia. Looking back over Wikimedia UK's mailing list, there have been some grumblings about the issue among members for some time -- though not as pointed and unpleasant for Wikipedia as they are now.
Last edited by DanMurphy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Here's what needs to happen:

1. Roger Bamkin needs to immediately resign from all offices and membership in Wikimedia UK for conflict of interest. He should keep attending meetings as an observer if he wants, and if they want to work with him and Gibralter, that's up to them and potentially on them.

2. User name:Victuallers should be shut down and Bamkin should be forced to re-register, preferably under his own name so that his editing may be scrutinized. He needs to make a note of his COI with the government of Gibralter on every Gibralter-related page that he edits so that his editing may be scrutinized.

3. Chris O./Prioryman, should be forced to reveal his own financial connection with the government of Gibralter and whether he is receiving financial compensation from the government of Gibralter or any private consultancy or other entity for his Wikipedia editing. If he is receiving such compensation, he needs to immediately resign from all offices and membership in Wikimedia UK for conflict of interest. He should keep attending meetings as an observer if he wants, and if they want to work with him and Gibralter, that's up to them and potentially on them.

RfB

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:Here's some paranoid blather from David Gerard.
And here is some more.
<dr.nicholas.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose my question is: does this sort of politicking actually serve the
> aims of Wikimedia UK at all, and if not could it perhaps stop soon?

This would require Wikipediocracy not to be a haven of trolls, nutters and stalkers whose mission is to stir shit wherever feasible. So your request may not be within the power of anyone whose interests parallel the aims of Wikimedia UK at all. - d.
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/pri ... 09243.html

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Bielle seems to get it (whoever they are):
What could it possibly matter, Wnt? I think you will find that it became news when those who have a responsibility to act in specific ways and not act in others, ignored their legal obligations and went straight for the personal gain. Yours is the kind of thinking that says punish those who tell, not those who did the improper deeds. If what the whistleblowers say is true, it does not matter at all what their motivations are. To say otherwise is to think like a politician. I am appalled that you see this as a "public relations" problem and not an ethical and possibly legal one. Bielle (talk) 16:21, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

Tippi Hadron
Queen

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:55 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Bielle seems to get it (whoever they are):
What could it possibly matter, Wnt? I think you will find that it became news when those who have a responsibility to act in specific ways and not act in others, ignored their legal obligations and went straight for the personal gain. Yours is the kind of thinking that says punish those who tell, not those who did the improper deeds. If what the whistleblowers say is true, it does not matter at all what their motivations are. To say otherwise is to think like a politician. I am appalled that you see this as a "public relations" problem and not an ethical and possibly legal one. Bielle (talk) 16:21, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
:applause:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Bielle seems to get it (whoever they are):
With friends like Wnt....
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:45 pm

An interesting post here from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_ ... use_of_DYK
I'm adding a bit here though I've been thoroughly informed that nobody at Wikipedia cares and nobody will help. My concern is that paid special interests have clearly worked their way up the "volunteer" ranks at Wikipedia and are editing pages in violation of Wiki policies to advance their agendas, yet since they have the most editing power, they simply dismiss all discussion to the contrary. In my case, the pharmaceutical interests have added one (and then when I objected, added TWO) unreliable cites to disparage my bio pages and falsely label me "anti-vaccine. In doing so, they use self-published blogs and non-fact-checked sources and violate policies of using special care with contentious material in bios, they violate policies of balance and undue weight and fairness, they simply lock into their position and lock out the bio so nobody can bring it back into compliance. Even worse, there are simple inaccuracies with my bio but when others or I have alerted or tried to change them, the conflicted Wiki agenda editors just change it back. The material isn't footnoted or sourced, the editors just "claim" my career on camera started on a certain date, they "claim" I anchored a PBS show and CBS Up to the Minute simultaneously (which is false). Those errors aren't terribly substantive, but they continue to whittle away at any credibility Wiki tries to have. And to top it off with the agenda editors advancing their pharmaceutical industry agenda on my bio page-- very inappropriate-- and on top of the Philip Roth ridiculousness, this whole "encyclopaedia" is being exposed as a conflicted mess. I'm surprised nobody cares, they just dig in and let the agenda editors and their partners do their work. My name is Sharyl Attkisson and I'm an investigative reporter for CBS News who is now, as a result of all of this, researching these processes. Wikipedia foundation refused comment on my last official request for comment. And when I vehemently objected to the paid agenda editing, the Wikipedia counsel in essence threatened me with the "Streisand effect"-- that the more I attempt to fix the false information, the bigger the agenda editors will make it. That doesn't seem like a way to run an encyclopaedia that seeks credibility. The conflicted editors in my instance are "yobol" and "the red pen of doom." they have enlisted others as well. They have deleted material off the talk page. They simply overrule anyone who points out they are violating Wikipedia policies on biographies and they put the material on and lock the page. As an investigative reporter, I am now digging into the many stories of Agenda editing at Wikipedia and am being flooded with similar tales. For obvious reasons, I'm not on Wikipedia much anymore, but you can email me on my about.me/sharylattkisson page if you have additional stories to bring to my attention or have comments. Thank you! I know there are a lot of well-intentioned hobbyists who are being sullied by the paid Wikipedia agenda editors and it's a shame.
Isolated diff http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =513553145

Wikipedia page of the reporter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharyl_Attkisson

I think wikipedia might have stepped in it hard with this reporter.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:

Shes up shit creek with that one. The two sources are directly criticising her reporting. As a journalist with a history of reporting on medical issues, its entirely valid to include criticism of such if its from reliable sources. And autism/vaccination is a highly visible issue.

"But the people saying bad things about me are wrong!" is not a reason not to include it. UNDUE is about the only one that applies, and that would be difficult to get off the ground given her reporting on medical issues.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote: From Wnt;

Now then Wnt the problem is that WP made at least three mistakes this year the first was the SOPA blackout, that told everyone that WP was a non neutral political entity, it lost its free ride at that point. Commentators are now far less likely to give WP a free and easy ride. The second mistake was the Fael debacle that told observers that WP is unlikely to clear house without a lot of pushing from outside. The third mistake was abandoning the content filter, that told everyone that WP cannot be trusted to do what they say they'll do.

Oh and Hail Eris!

Party over.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Tippi Hadron
Queen

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Vigilant wrote:

They did, in August. Some background from Wikipedia's biographies of living persons noticeboard.

Meanwhile, the cash for edits story has been picked up by TechWeek Europe (also on the front page) and Foreign Policy:
The story came out at the same time as an uproar began among Wikipedia community members over a "SEO-focused, PR-strategy Wikipedia page editing business" run by one of the site's "Wikipedians in residence."

The connection between Gibraltar and Bamkin is apparently related to a plan by the British colony's government to post QR codes on tourist sites throughout the island linking visitors to relevant Wikipedia pages.

I'm actually surprised we don't hear more stories like this -- especially on politically sensitive topics. For example, a Wikipedia search for "Diaoyu" currently redirects to the Senkaku Islands page. That page is currently locked for editing, but I'm sure there are other international disputes in which interested governments would pay good money to promote their version of reality.