School shooter William Atchison ("Eldigato")

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: School shooter William Atchison ("Eldigato")

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 am

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am

Zoloft wrote: :welcome:
...back!
Thanks, although I won't be too active.
Zoloft wrote:Is this in the media yet?
The shooting is in the media, but his relationship to wikis and forums isn't.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 am

Only 3 edits to Wikipedia over 4 years from the registered account. One of them was wrongly inserting an apostrophe:
down a third from it's 1978 peak.
I haven't looked at the IP or Wikia edits.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Kingsindian wrote:I haven't looked at the IP or Wikia edits.
His Wikia activity is somewhat more interesting. He had at least two accounts and they both had sysop rights on the "Return to Blockland" wiki (rtb.wikia.com):

http://rtb.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/GanonSephiroth

http://rtb.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Ganonseph (this one also a bureaucrat)

He created a vanity article on himself:

http://rtb.wikia.com/wiki/Sephiroth?action=history

He also tried to create a wiki on the "Fable" series of video games (fableworld.wikia.com):

http://fableworld.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Ganonseph

He also had a double life as a vandal:

http://rtb.wikia.com/wiki/User:GanonSephiroth?diff=4385

http://rtb.wikia.com/wiki/User:GanonSephiroth?diff=4411

http://blocklandupdated.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Ganonseph

http://eminem.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/GanonSephiroth

http://bcm.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/GanonSephiroth

http://eldigato.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/GanonSephiroth

http://archive.is/norBF

http://archive.is/qXDvJ (a wiki once operated by shooter Andrew Blaze / Randy Robert Stair before being vandalized and then shut down by Wikia?)

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: Confessions of a former internet troll

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm

America's most recent school killer was an Encyclopedia Dramatica sysop.
And yet online, the 21-year-old New Mexico resident lived a prolific life as a white supremacist, pro-Trump meme peddler who was most known for his obsession with school shooters. For a half-decade, Atchison spent most of his days online, repeatedly posting threats of violence and cries for help.

When users saw posts from Atchison, who went by dozens of names like “Adam Lanza” and “Future Mass Shooter” on both larger platforms like YouTube and racist communities like The Daily Stormer, they would often ask how his manifesto was going...

At EncyclopediaDramatica, a Wikipedia-style site for fringe internet users to describe memes and in-jokes in detail, he volunteered as a SysOp, the site’s word for an administrator. Atchison’s page, now replete with his screen name @satanicdruggie and his real identity, is filed under the “An Heroes” section, reserved for people who have killed themselves.

On the alt-right forums and hate groups he frequented, Atchison appears to have made many enemies. Despite later becoming a moderator of the site, one of Atchison’s most popular EncyclopediaDramatica accounts, AlGore, was banned from the site for two years when it was labeled as a “troll.”

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:12 pm

DanMurphy wrote:America's most recent school killer was an Encyclopedia Dramatica sysop.
Despite later becoming a moderator of the site, one of Atchison’s most popular EncyclopediaDramatica accounts, AlGore, was banned from the site for two years when it was labeled as a “troll.”
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:New Mexico shooter William Atchison was "Eldigato" on Wikipedia:
You left out the most important part. He was AlGore, a fellow sysop of yours on ED.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:35 am

Here's the Wikipedia article: Aztec High School shooting (T-H-L)

He named himself after the villains of the Zelda games and of Final Fantasy VII.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:10 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:America's most recent school killer was an Encyclopedia Dramatica sysop.
Despite later becoming a moderator of the site, one of Atchison’s most popular EncyclopediaDramatica accounts, AlGore, was banned from the site for two years when it was labeled as a “troll.”
They're incorrect about that. He wasn't banned from the site for two years. That's just a joke template that he added to his userpage.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:35 am

tarantino wrote:You left out the most important part. He was AlGore, a fellow sysop of yours on ED.
He was, regrettably, a sysop of ED. I didn't really knew him. I noticed some of his work on Special:NewPages and acknowledged him for it (When I was more active, I liked going through new pages and acknowledging people for them), but that was about it. I didn't learn about his true identity or research his online activities until after his death.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I don't think that people here would be surprised to learn that at least one sysop on ED was a very nasty nutter.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
tarantino wrote:You left out the most important part. He was AlGore, a fellow sysop of yours on ED.
He was, regrettably, a sysop of ED. I didn't really knew him. I noticed some of his work on Special:NewPages and acknowledged him for it (When I was more active, I liked going through new pages and acknowledging people for them), but that was about it. I didn't learn about his true identity or research his online activities until after his death.
Duranduran posted this on AlGore's talk page on Dec 12:
"back from the dead just
to laugh at your stupid ass. have fun in hell, lad. Duranduran (talk)
14:28, 12 December 2017 (EST)"
You started this topic an hour later.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:05 am

tarantino wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Duranduran posted this on AlGore's talk page on Dec 12:
"back from the dead just
to laugh at your stupid ass. have fun in hell, lad. Duranduran (talk)
14:28, 12 December 2017 (EST)"
You started this topic an hour later.
Your math is incorrect (or did you neglect to turn off daylight savings in your preferences?). Duranduran's post was made at 14:28 EST (19:28 UTC); I created this thread at 16:29 EST (21:29 UTC). 21:29 - 19:28 is a little over two hours.

Anyway, I don't see what point you're trying to make. I said "until after his death". Both Duranduran's comment and this thread were created after the death.

Are you trying to claim that that I was watching AlGore's user talk page? I wasn't. We weren't close, and I don't make a habit of spying on other people's talk pages. I learned about the incident from ED's TJC page (the thread on the TJC page began at 05:10 EST (10:10 UTC)). And if you were paying attention at what I wrote, you would know that I linked to an ED Forum thread in my initial post to this thread.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:I learned about the incident from ED's TJC page (the thread on the TJC page began at 05:10 EST (10:10 UTC)). And if you were paying attention at what I wrote, you would know that I linked to an ED Forum thread in my initial post to this thread.
I'm averse to reading your forum. I feel a little part of me dies whenever I do.

From the forum thread you linked to:
ziril wrote:
Kassetas said Francisco Fernandez entered the bathroom where Atchison was gearing up. The police chief said Atchison immediately fired his gun, fatally wounding the teen.
Atchison then walked out to the hallway and encountered Casey Jordan Marquez, and he "immediately shot her dead," Kassetas said.
two spics, one a woman. at least we can walk away from this tragedy knowing no real people were harmed by his actions. peace to all :(
This is Stormfront/Daily Stormer material, as is a significant fraction of ED. How can you be comfortable associating with these people?

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:15 am

tarantino wrote:This is Stormfront/Daily Stormer material, as is a significant fraction of ED. How can you be comfortable associating with these people?
I don't share their ideology, and I think that a lot of what they post is for show. I like observing and sometimes interacting with contrarians, provocateurs, and trolls. They can be fun, interesting, and exciting, even if I disagree with their (supposed) views. I haven't felt uncomfortable until the Atchison shooting occurred.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:I haven't felt uncomfortable until the Atchison shooting occurred.
You didn't feel uncomfortable when Sean Carasov//OldDirtyBtard put a bullet through his head after being egged on by his fellow EDiots?

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:01 pm

tarantino wrote:You didn't feel uncomfortable when Sean Carasov//OldDirtyBtard put a bullet through his head after being egged on by his fellow EDiots?
Sorry, that incident slipped my mind. That was over seven years ago. I was indeed sad. I knew Carasov better than I knew Atchison. I always enjoyed Carasov's presence on the IRC. He had experience and interesting stories to share.

However, I don't believe that ED is at fault for his suicide. A website centered around trolling and taboo-breaking is going to attract self-destructive individuals, and Carasov was, unfortunately, self-destructive.

I also don't believe that anyone on the IRC at the time seriously wanted him to die. I think that they thought that Carasov was joking, and I think that Carasov knew that they would think that he was joking.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote: Sorry, that incident slipped my mind.
I think was a seminal moment in the history of ED.
I also don't believe that anyone on the IRC at the time seriously wanted him to die. I think that they thought that Carasov was joking ...
Anyone who really knew him would have known that he was serious. From ODB's livejournal page, ehich has since been immortalized on ED:
My Personal Exit Strategy
Since Yiri and weev have dragged me kicking and screaming into an LJ post-fest, I figure I should spell out my own suicide which I have roughly planned for late 2010 -based on my current bank statement.
When my 401k (which I'm currently living off) is down to $5,000, I will get on a plane for Bali and I will check into my favourite hotel there. I will then spend my time kicking it, relaxing, letting go of all the stress, partying and generally having a great time.
This absolutely fabulous 'vacation' will be paid for by the 3 credit cards I currently have. When the last one is finally declined, I shall order a bottle of Cristal champagne and drink it whilst I shoot up the best Morphine money has already bought until I overdose.
Having zero responsibilities in life, I will have left behind nothing but a few friends and a couple of family members -who will get over it.
He apparently did not have enough money left, or perhaps the will, to fly off to Bali.

A reader also responds:
He probably *was* joking. "An hero" is both suicide and a joke. They treat the Holocaust as a joke, and I think they mean it. The idea that it must be either genuinely evil or "for the lulz" presumes a dichotomy which may not exist.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am

tarantino wrote:
I also don't believe that anyone on the IRC at the time seriously wanted him to die. I think that they thought that Carasov was joking ...
Anyone who really knew him would have known that he was serious.
I simply explained what participants logged in at the time probably thought; I didn't claim that the participants logged in at the time knew him inside and out. And again, I seriously doubt anyone there actually wanted him to die.