Dan of La Mancha
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Re: Wikipedia's worst sentences

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:59 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:20 pm
A sample of the sediment and no doubt it was Saharan sand was kept for microscopic examination
From Bordighera (T-H-L). The whole thing betrays translationitis.
That particular section is more a case of "it's not copyvio if we change some of the words," though there may be some translation confusion thrown into the mix.

Article:
On the morning of October 31st, 1926 a red rain fell on Bordighera, covering the sidewalks and vegetation with thick reddish-brown sediment that turned a salmon color after drying. The rain showers ended around noon or British daylight time with a gust of hot, humid air from the east. It is estimated that the previous day had been cloudy with rain, a shower followed by a thunderstorm the night, with long lightning bolts to the east and west, and an elevation of no less than 2500 feet. A sample of the sediment and no doubt it was Saharan sand was kept for microscopic examination.
Source:
‘Red rain’ fell at Bordighera on the morning of October 31, coating the pavements and vegetation with a dense red-brown deposit which turned to salmon colour when dry. The shower, which terminated about noon (English summer time), was accompanied by a current of hot moist air from the east. The previous day was wet and overcast, and the evening after the shower there was a thunderstorm with long flashes of lightning from east to west at an estimated altitude never touching below 2500 feet. Samples of the deposit (doubtless sand from the Sahara) are being preserved for microscopical examination.
I've removed the whole thing as undue weight. These dust showers happen all over the world, and the incident at Bordighera doesn't seem to have attracted any lasting attention.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:04 am

Wat Phrammani (T-H-L)
In Wat Phrammani many buildings serve different functions such as u bo sod, sala rai, pra pho tard phi marn and hor ra kung.
No wiki-links, no explanations, nothing.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm

Gentleman Farm site (T-H-L)
The Gentleman Farm site is located in LaSalle County, Illinois, on the Illinois River. It is a multi-component site with the main occupation being a Langford tradition component of Upper Mississippian affiliation.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 am

I wanna play. I submit:
Though Theodosius calculated the date correctly, God intervened to have Ahimaaz' ancestor win, according to the chronicle.
Theodosius of Oria (T-H-L)

I did move the attribution to to top of the sentence to make it clearer WP does not ascribe to this. I am about to go see if I can identify this chronicle

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 am
I wanna play. I submit:
Though Theodosius calculated the date correctly, God intervened to have Ahimaaz' ancestor win, according to the chronicle.

I did move the attribution to to top of the sentence to make it clearer WP does not ascribe to this. I am about to go see if I can identify this chronicle
The Chronicle of Ahimaaz, translated by Marcus Salzman. The story about the predictions of the precise time (not of the date, as such) of a new moon occurs on pp.78-80. The Wikipedia article's summary is somewhat creative, to say the least. The source cited in the article is not the chronicle itself, however, but The Medieval Salento by Linda Safran. Surprisingly (to me) most of the responsibility for the "creativity" of the summary seems to lie with Ms Safran rather than the Wikipedia editor who cited her book.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 am
I wanna play. I submit:

The Chronicle of Ahimaaz, translated by Marcus Salzman. The story about the predictions of the precise time (not of the date, as such) of a new moon occurs on pp.78-80. The Wikipedia article's summary is somewhat creative, to say the least. The source cited in the article is not the chronicle itself, however, but The Medieval Salento by Linda Safran. Surprisingly (to me) most of the responsibility for the "creativity" of the summary seems to lie with Ms Safran rather than the Wikipedia editor who cited her book.
Well for the. 9th century primary sources can be forgiven. Thank you for the link; I'll add it later if you didn't already. I may even try to fix the weird camera angle on the image.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:12 am

Set in 1893 on Kauai, after the Hawaiian Kingdom had been overthrown by agents and Hawaii-based citizens of the United States and just as an outbreak of leprosy engulfs the tropical paradise.
The Wind & the Reckoning (T-H-L). Probably equally eligible for Worst Articles, Personal Touches, &cet, but ya gotta start somewhere.

pib
Contributor

Unread post by pib » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:13 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:12 am
Set in 1893 on Kauai, after the Hawaiian Kingdom had been overthrown by agents and Hawaii-based citizens of the United States and just as an outbreak of leprosy engulfs the tropical paradise.
The Wind & the Reckoning (T-H-L). Probably equally eligible for Worst Articles, Personal Touches, &cet, but ya gotta start somewhere.
some may argue that that isn’t even a sentence really
Master of yapping

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:44 am

From Devon Rex (T-H-L)
The Devon Rex is a tall-eared, short-haired breed of cat that emerged in England during the late 1950s. The breed is known for its queer appearance, with an oddly shaped head, large eyes, and the short and wavy coat.
Well yes, 'queer appearance' is legitimate English, but I can't help feeling that the wording was chosen to make some sort of point. 'Odd' would have worked just as well...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:02 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:44 am
From Devon Rex (T-H-L)
The Devon Rex is a tall-eared, short-haired breed of cat that emerged in England during the late 1950s. The breed is known for its queer appearance, with an oddly shaped head, large eyes, and the short and wavy coat.
Well yes, 'queer appearance' is legitimate English, but I can't help feeling that the wording was chosen to make some sort of point. 'Odd' would have worked just as well...
Until 26 January it said
old version wrote:The Devon Rex is a tall-eared, short-haired breed of cat that emerged in England during the late 1950s. They are known for their slender bodies, wavy coat, and large ears. This breed of cat is capable of learning difficult tricks but can be hard to motivate.
The change was made by Traumnovelle (T-C-L). Based on their userboxes I guess they may like cats ...

pib
Contributor

Unread post by pib » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:15 am

rnu wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:02 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:44 am
From Devon Rex (T-H-L)
Until 26 January it said
old version wrote:The Devon Rex is a tall-eared, short-haired breed of cat that emerged in England during the late 1950s. They are known for their slender bodies, wavy coat, and large ears. This breed of cat is capable of learning difficult tricks but can be hard to motivate.
The change was made by Traumnovelle (T-C-L). Based on their userboxes I guess they may like cats ...
Also, I don’t think the odd nature of the cat’s appearance justifies adding “queer appearance” and removing how highly trainable the breed is. I get a lot of pet websites will throw on accolades to get more customers, but it seems like this breed has been associated with many tricks since their first discovery.

They’re not even that weird looking :crying:
Master of yapping

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:33 am

l humbly submit
The number of European Christians in captivity in the city of Algiers alone was estimated at about one million people throughout the seventeenth century, equivalent to a quarter of the city's population, numbering at that time about 100,000 people.
From Corsairs of Algiers (T-H-L), a truly terrible word-for-word translation that was even before I saw this sentence already in my opinion a contender for the "Crap articles" and "Missing articles" categories as well.

Important article though: Algeria is very under-covered, and somebody clearly put a lot of work into the French version that surely must exist and which I will need to consult to resolve the {{what}} tags I am currently scattering like pixie dust.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:15 pm

pib wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:13 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:12 am
some may argue that that isn’t even a sentence really
It isn't. It's bullet-point-speak

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:51 am

After serving five years in the U.S. Cavalry, Cassini moved to New York City in 1952 to open his own fashion house on Seventh Avenue, the center of the fashion industry.[4]
From Oleg Cassini (T-H-L). The entire paragraph on his military service is… …well, take a look:
World War II
After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Cassini quickly enlisted in the war effort. Initially, he joined the United States Coast Guard, but he later served in the U.S. Army as a cavalry officer. He reached the rank of first lieutenant. Cassini became a United States citizen (in December 1941/January 1942, losing his titles of nobility); he was commissioned as a first Lieutenant at Fort Riley, Kansas. After serving five years in the U.S. Cavalry, Cassini moved to New York City in 1952 to open his own fashion house on Seventh Avenue, the center of the fashion industry.[4]

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm

American Realism (T-H-L)
From the late 19th to the early 20th centuries, the United States experienced huge industrial, economic, social and cultural change.
No shit!
Always improving...

Sennalen
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Sennalen

Unread post by Sennalen » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:47 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm
American Realism (T-H-L)
From the late 19th to the early 20th centuries, the United States experienced huge industrial, economic, social and cultural change.
No shit!
citation needed

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 am

Man-seated: arms in adoration (hieroglyph) (T-H-L)

Which sentences are the worst: the lead which barely mentions the subject of the article…
The ancient Egyptian Dua[1][2] (Man-seated: arms in adoration) hieroglyph is one of a series of language and visual hieroglyphs used from the earliest dynasties of Ancient Egypt, and that portrays men, women, ideology, and some occupations.

Used versions of the adoration hieroglyph are with men, women, and groups of individuals; also the adoration-type hieroglyph is shown in a standing pose, with upraised arms. The men and women hieroglyphs of both the men and women series, encompass a majority of the human traits, forms, emotions, etc.
…or the Babelfish-tier translation of the Rosetta Stone?
"The priests (Libationer hieroglyphs), of the temples in temple every by its name, shall be called "priest of the god appearing (epiphanous), lord of benefits," (Greek: eucharistos), in addition to the ranks of priests of them (in addition to their other priestly titles). Let write them it upon documents theirs, ...."
Let write them answers upon postcard theirs.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:32 am

Háčky wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 am
Man-seated: arms in adoration (hieroglyph) (T-H-L)

Which sentences are the worst: the lead which barely mentions the subject of the article…
The ancient Egyptian Dua[1][2] (Man-seated: arms in adoration) hieroglyph is one of a series of language and visual hieroglyphs used from the earliest dynasties of Ancient Egypt, and that portrays men, women, ideology, and some occupations.

Used versions of the adoration hieroglyph are with men, women, and groups of individuals; also the adoration-type hieroglyph is shown in a standing pose, with upraised arms. The men and women hieroglyphs of both the men and women series, encompass a majority of the human traits, forms, emotions, etc.
…or the Babelfish-tier translation of the Rosetta Stone?
"The priests (Libationer hieroglyphs), of the temples in temple every by its name, shall be called "priest of the god appearing (epiphanous), lord of benefits," (Greek: eucharistos), in addition to the ranks of priests of them (in addition to their other priestly titles). Let write them it upon documents theirs, ...."
Let write them answers upon postcard theirs.
:facepalm: :blink: :facepalm: :dubious: :facepalm:

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 am

From Timeline of the 1993 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L), the very first sentence:
The 1993 Pacific hurricane season was an event in the annual formation of tropical cyclones over the Pacific Ocean north of the Equator and east of the International Date Line.
Well, no, it wasn't an "event", unless you want to consider 1993 an "event". And the first paragraph doesn't get any better. Meanwhile the "text" of the thing is well nigh unreadable; any sane person would read the main 1993 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L) instead.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:13 am

Ming wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 am
well nigh unreadable
I was on the edge of my seat actually:
September 30
00:00 UTC (6:00 p.m. MDT, September 29) at 10.5°N 114.6°W – A tropical depression forms from a tropical wave.
12:00 UTC (6:00 a.m. MDT) at 11.2°N 114.9°W – The tropical depression strengthens into Tropical Storm Max.

October 1
00:00 UTC (5:00 p.m. PDT, September 30) at 11.4°N 115.4°W – Tropical Storm Max weakens into a tropical depression.
18:00 UTC (11:00 a.m. PDT) at 11.3°N 116.4°W – Tropical Depression Max restrengthens into a tropical storm.

October 2
00:00 UTC (5:00 p.m. PDT, October 1) at 11.0°N 116.7°W – Tropical Storm Max reaches peak winds of 45 mph (75 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure of 1,000 mbar (29.53 inHg).

October 3
12:00 UTC (5:00 a.m. PDT) at 11.7°N 117.0°W – Tropical Storm Max weakens back into a tropical depression.

October 4
00:00 UTC (5:00 p.m. PDT, October 3) at 13.9°N 116.7°W – Tropical Depression Max is absorbed by Tropical Storm Norma.
00:00 UTC (6:00 p.m. MDT, October 3) at 17.5°N 114.4°W – Tropical Storm Norma reaches peak winds of 50 mph (85 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure of 1,000 mbar (29.53 inHg) about 470 mi (760 km) southwest of the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula.

October 5
00:00 UTC (5:00 p.m. PDT, October 4) at 18.2°N 117.1°W – Tropical Storm Norma weakens into a tropical depression.

October 6
18:00 UTC (11:00 a.m. PDT) at 21.6°N 118.7°W – Tropical Depression Norma is last noted about 565 mi (910 km) west of the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula; it dissipates shortly thereafter.
That was a close one.

One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:10 am

Ming wrote:
Meanwhile the "text" of the thing is well nigh unreadable; any sane person would read the main 1993 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L) instead.
Pfft. That article leaves out basic, highly encyclopedic information, like which imaginary time zones the storms were in!

(The timeline article explains that “Four time zones” of wildly different sizes “are utilized in the Eastern Pacific basin”, but they’re of course not used in the basin; they seem to be an invention of the National Hurricane Center. Other entries in this illustrious series such as Timeline of the 2023 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L) handwave this convention as “the nautical time zone”, but nautical time (T-H-L) is completely different.)

greenday61892
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Greenday61892

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:48 pm

Háčky wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:10 am
Ming wrote:
Meanwhile the "text" of the thing is well nigh unreadable; any sane person would read the main 1993 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L) instead.
Pfft. That article leaves out basic, highly encyclopedic information, like which imaginary time zones the storms were in!

(The timeline article explains that “Four time zones” of wildly different sizes “are utilized in the Eastern Pacific basin”, but they’re of course not used in the basin; they seem to be an invention of the National Hurricane Center. Other entries in this illustrious series such as Timeline of the 2023 Pacific hurricane season (T-H-L) handwave this convention as “the nautical time zone”, but nautical time (T-H-L) is completely different.)
lemme guess, this is largely the work of WPTC :facepalm:

Paragon Deku
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Paragon Deku

Unread post by Paragon Deku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:29 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm
The Gentleman Farm site is located in LaSalle County, Illinois, on the Illinois River. It is a multi-component site with the main occupation being a Langford tradition component of Upper Mississippian affiliation.
This is completely comprehensible to someone with an archaeological background. There’s unfortunately not really a great way to express this more simply.
Should still probably link to what a multi-component site is.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm

Paragon Deku wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:29 pm
rnu wrote:
This is completely comprehensible to someone with an archaeological background. There’s unfortunately not really a great way to express this more simply.
How about this:
"The Gentleman Farm site is an archeological site located in LaSalle County, Illionois, on the Illinois River. Excavations have found artifacts from multiple prehistoric and historic cultures, mainly from the Langford tradition of Upper Missisippian cultures dating to around 1200 CE to 1500 CE. "

Paragon Deku
Contributor

Unread post by Paragon Deku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:51 pm

rnu wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm
Paragon Deku wrote:
rnu wrote:
How about this:
"The Gentleman Farm site is an archeological site located in LaSalle County, Illionois, on the Illinois River. Excavations have found artifacts from multiple prehistoric and historic cultures, mainly from the Langford tradition of Upper Missisippian cultures dating to around 1200 CE to 1500 CE. "
Not bad. Think the main issue is that there's a precedent for truncating most of that information under the umbrella of a multi-component site in a lot of archaeology articles (Dry Creek Archeological Site (T-H-L))

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 pm

Paragon Deku wrote:
rnu wrote:
The biggest problem is that it’s described first as a “site” and then a “multi-component site” without ever saying it’s an archaeological site. A reader without an archaeological background may not even know that an archaeological background is what they need to comprehend it.

Paragon Deku wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:51 pm
Think the main issue is that there's a precedent for truncating most of that information under the umbrella of a multi-component site in a lot of archaeology articles (Dry Creek Archeological Site (T-H-L))
See, this one starts with that classic Wikipedian tautology, “The Dry Creek Archeological Site is an archaeological site”.

Paragon Deku
Contributor

Unread post by Paragon Deku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 pm

Háčky wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 pm
See, this one starts with that classic Wikipedian tautology, “The Dry Creek Archeological Site is an archaeological site”.
Yep. Unfortunately, there's loads of archaeology articles that need a lot of love. The wikiproject is not terribly active, and a lot more editor interest is reserved for fossil hominids and big dramatic excavations than for these smaller sites that are very important to our understanding of the past but don't get thousands of tourists flocking to see them (for obvious reasons).

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm

Háčky wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 pm
Paragon Deku wrote:
rnu wrote:
The biggest problem is that it’s described first as a “site” and then a “multi-component site” without ever saying it’s an archaeological site. A reader without an archaeological background may not even know that an archaeological background is what they need to comprehend it.

Paragon Deku wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:51 pm
Think the main issue is that there's a precedent for truncating most of that information under the umbrella of a multi-component site in a lot of archaeology articles (Dry Creek Archeological Site (T-H-L))
Yes, that is absolutely the main problem. The lead of the Gentleman Farm article doesn't even mention archeology. Meanwhile in the case of the Dry Greek Archeological Site it is in the name, so there is no need to repeat it in that weird tautological way.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 pm

Annapolis, Maryland (T-H-L)
Annapolis is the capital city of the U.S. state of Maryland and the county seat of, and only incorporated city in, Anne Arundel County.
I see how they got here but it's still awkward wording.
Always improving...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 pm
Annapolis is the capital city of the U.S. state of Maryland and the county seat of, and only incorporated city in, Anne Arundel County.
I am kind of disappointed that they didn't go with "Annapolis is the capital of, and a city in, ..."

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:53 pm

Natural nuclear fission reactor (T-H-L)
Gabon was a French colony when the first analyses of the subsoil were carried out by the CEAfrom the MABA base in Franceville, more precisely by its industrial direction which later became COGEMA, leading in 1956 to the discovery of uranium deposits in the region[5].
Steps to discover uranium deposits:
  1. Be a French colony when the first analyses of the subsoil are carried out
  2. ???
The source doesn’t even mention MABA, whatever that is, or COGEMA (T-H-L), which could have been a wikilink.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia's worst sentences, NSS subsection.

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm

“In 1986, she published her best selling memoir Board Meetings in the Bath: How We Opened Knebworth House to the Public on her experience opening Knebworth to the public.”

Chryssie Lytton Cobbold, Baroness Cobbold (T-H-L).

TheSpacebook
Critic

Unread post by TheSpacebook » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 am

Trisha Paytas (T-H-L) (I’m unsure what the occupation of this person actually is)
In September 2022, Paytas addressed false online rumors claiming that she had already given birth and that the baby was the reincarnation of Elizabeth II.
Thank you for clarifying it was a false rumour? But I’ve checked and it’s reliably sourced. Such a nonsense rumour, how does something like that even spread to the point it needs to be addressed?

TheSpacebook
Critic

Unread post by TheSpacebook » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

TheSpacebook wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 am
Trisha Paytas (T-H-L) (I’m unsure what the occupation of this person actually is)
In September 2022, Paytas addressed false online rumors claiming that she had already given birth and that the baby was the reincarnation of Elizabeth II.
Thank you for clarifying it was a false rumour? But I’ve checked and it’s reliably sourced. Such a nonsense rumour, how does something like that even spread to the point it needs to be addressed?
Update. This text has now been removed by Ltbdl (T-C-L) :applause:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

TheSpacebook wrote:
[...]
I think the technical term for people like this is harbinger of the fall of civilization.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm
TheSpacebook wrote:
[...]
I think the technical term for people like this is harbinger of the fall of civilization.
Waste of Skin.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:34 am

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 pm
well they're not wrong.
But they sound like a Wikipedia editor

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 am

Was doing some googling on Robert Fisk (T-H-L).

Not exactly a "worst" sentence, but this from the lede is AMAZING.
The term fisking (meaning a line-by-line rebuttal) was coined to describe his method

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:12 am

DanMurphy wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 am
Was doing some googling on Robert Fisk (T-H-L).

Not exactly a "worst" sentence, but this from the lede is AMAZING.
The term fisking (meaning a line-by-line rebuttal) was coined to describe his method
An IP editor has disputed this sentence on the talk page, and I hope someone delivers a line-by-line rebuttal.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 am

Rincewind is often concerned with his life, as many people all across Discworld have attempted to take it.
Dried_frog_pills#Rincewind (T-H-L)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:04 am

The old town, a bastide, is an old medieval town designed with a grid street design with houses dating from 13th to the 16th Century's.
from Bretenoux (T-H-L)