Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

What animal is an Eevee?

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:09 am

Eevee (T-H-L)

Yes, it is a Pokémon. However, here's the lead:
Eevee, known in Japan as Eievui (イーブイ Ībui, meaning "evolve"?), is a Pokémon species in Nintendo and Game Freak's Pokémon franchise. Created by Ken Sugimori, It first appeared in the video games Pokémon Red and Blue. It has later appeared in various merchandise, spinoff titles, and animated and printed adaptations of the franchise.

Known as the Evolution Pokémon in the games and the animé,[1] Eevee is a rabbit-eared feline-like Pokémon with an unstable genetic code, which allows it to evolve into eight different Pokémon depending on the situation, which have been termed as "Eeveelutions". The first three of these evolutions, Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, are the result of the Pokémon being exposed to either a Water Stone, a Thunderstone, or a Fire Stone respectively. Various evolutions have been introduced in Pokémon games since, including Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon.
If you look at the categories, one of the categories includes "Fictional foxes."

Is the Eevee based on a cat or on a fox?

The same can be said for Pikachu (T-H-L) (it is stated to be a mouse, but some call Pikachu a rat; the confusion arose from the fact that the Japanese generally don't make a distinction between a mouse or a rat).

Ken Sugimori isn't a biologist.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: What animal is an Eevee?

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Is the Eevee based on a cat or on a fox?
Would anyone who isn't a Pokémon fanatic care? Still, this is surprising. I think we'd have assumed that Pokémon characters are one of the strengths of Wikipedia.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 am

Eppur si evolve?

According to the Italian language Wikipedia:
"Eevee è basato sulle volpi, in particolare sul fennec. Potrebbe essere ispirato al tanuki o ai miacidi."
Così è (se vi pare).

Huh? "Eevee is a rabbit-eared feline-like Pokémon."
While felids and vulpini are both in the ordo Carnivora (T-H-L), they are as different as, quite literally, cats and dogs.

Edit: Whoa, for a little moment there, I actually gave the slightest damn about this. I'm better now.
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Berberis
Contributor

Unread post by Berberis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:40 pm

There are lots of utterly unsupported declarations that a fictional animal is a particular species. The incoming links to Apatosaurus from pop culture topics are huge mess. link

For decades, paleontologists treated Brontosaurus as a taxonomic synonym of Apatosaurus. The general public took no notice of this and Brontosaurus became one of the most visible dinosaurs in popular culture. In the late 1980s, the public started to become aware of the paleontologists position that Apatosaurus was the "correct" name. In 2015, Brontosaurus was resurrected as a valid name. In the meantime, Wikipedia came along and hypercorrected instances of Brontosaurus in popular culture to Apatosaurus. Of course, many of the pop culture sources don't provide an in-universe identification of the dinosaur depicted, so deciding whether it is an Apatosaurus or a Brontosaurus in the first place is OR (calling a fictional dinosaur a sauropod is probably as precised as the identification could go with no in-universe name being provivded) . I very much doubt that a Dr. Who episode from 1974 identified a dinosaur as an Apatosaurus, but it probably didn't call it a Brontosaurus either. The central character in The Land Before Time is a "longneck" in-universe. His father is named "Bron" (not "Pat"), which is weak evidence that he is probably intended to be a Brontosaurus.

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Eevee (T-H-L)

Yes, it is a Pokémon. However, here's the lead:
Eevee, known in Japan as Eievui (イーブイ Ībui, meaning "evolve"?), is a Pokémon species in Nintendo and Game Freak's Pokémon franchise. Created by Ken Sugimori, It first appeared in the video games Pokémon Red and Blue. It has later appeared in various merchandise, spinoff titles, and animated and printed adaptations of the franchise.

Known as the Evolution Pokémon in the games and the animé,[1] Eevee is a rabbit-eared feline-like Pokémon with an unstable genetic code, which allows it to evolve into eight different Pokémon depending on the situation, which have been termed as "Eeveelutions". The first three of these evolutions, Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, are the result of the Pokémon being exposed to either a Water Stone, a Thunderstone, or a Fire Stone respectively. Various evolutions have been introduced in Pokémon games since, including Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon.
If you look at the categories, one of the categories includes "Fictional foxes."

Is the Eevee based on a cat or on a fox?

The same can be said for Pikachu (T-H-L) (it is stated to be a mouse, but some call Pikachu a rat; the confusion arose from the fact that the Japanese generally don't make a distinction between a mouse or a rat).

Ken Sugimori isn't a biologist.
I would have to assume that the best description of the eevee is that it seems to be some sort of genetically evolved cat, although that is a long way from saying it is in any way necessarily evolved from a cat.

The distinction between rat and mouse, according to what I've read, is kind of fluid. I seem to remember reading, somewhere, that the only recognized difference between them is the number of scales on their tails. And it seems in the popular sense that the two terms are generally interchangable, with the possible exception that a "mouse" might be maybe a bit cuter and cuddlier than a "rat".

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:44 pm

We would have to ask Ken Sugimori on this matter, since he designed it.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Johnny Au wrote:We would have to ask Ken Sugimori on this matter, since he designed it.
Wouldn't a DNA test and analysis settle it even more firmly?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Johnny Au wrote:We would have to ask Ken Sugimori on this matter, since he designed it.
He might well respond, as Friedrich Klopstock (T-H-L)once did when asked about something he had written, "God and I both knew what it meant once; now God alone knows."

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:23 pm

It's a Pocket Monster, like Pikachu and the others!

It looks like a fennec, but it isn't!

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:43 am

thekohser wrote:
Unfortunately, Eevee have very unstable DNA. No wonder why it can evolve to many different forms.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 am

Johnny Au wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Unfortunately, Eevee have very unstable DNA. No wonder why it can evolve to many different forms.
Ask a serious question, get a serious answer! Priceless.

Wonder if 23andMe could help in any way. How many chromosomes do these things have?

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:17 am

Mason wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Ask a serious question, get a serious answer! Priceless.

Wonder if 23andMe could help in any way. How many chromosomes do these things have?
It varies. Even Ken Sugimori has no idea.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Mason wrote:Ask a serious question, get a serious answer! Priceless.

It varies. Even Ken Sugimori has no idea.
Ask a serious question, get a serious answer! Priceless. :rotfl:

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Mason wrote:How many chromosomes do these things have?
When one of the Star Trek writers was asked "how do the Heisenberg compensators work?" I believe his answer was "very well, thank you". I probably made that up, but the answer is 29, or some other number.
Mason wrote:Ask a serious question, get a serious answer! Priceless.
And for everything else, there's Mastercard.

I don't much like it here any more, but you made me smile. Thanks.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:55 pm

It was negligent of me not to point out that Greg got the "DNA" conversation rolling, so I'm pointing that out.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Jim wrote:It was negligent of me not to point out that Greg got the "DNA" conversation rolling, so I'm pointing that out.
:deadhorse:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Unfortunately, Eevee have very unstable DNA. No wonder why it can evolve to many different forms.
No, I wonder still. Enlighten us with regards to this instability. Armed with such knowledge we may still save species like the horse from their seemingly inevitable fate. It must be worth trying, at least.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Jim wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Unfortunately, Eevee have very unstable DNA. No wonder why it can evolve to many different forms.
No, I wonder still. Enlighten us with regards to this instability. Armed with such knowledge we may still save species like the horse from their seemingly inevitable fate. It must be worth trying, at least.
We would need to find ways to convert living animals into energy and back (and the animal would have to remain living and be in its original form unmodified after being converted from energy).

Like the Heisenberg compensator, the technology behind Pokéballs is very poorly explained and the people who make Pokémon would often sidestep this question, leaving fans to conjecture the inner workings of Pokéballs.

Finally, Eevee have unstable DNA, which cannot be said for most other Pokémon; Pokémon evolution is non-Darwinian.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:02 pm

This very thread is subject to off-off-wiki (analogous to Off-Off-Broadway (T-H-L)?) ridicule.

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Hate and nitpick all you want, but I can't help but be reminded of a video I saw just yesterday that offered a way too detailed analysis of the biochemical science behind Pokémon evolution:

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:This very thread is subject to off-off-wiki (analogous to Off-Off-Broadway (T-H-L)?) ridicule.
I didnt know there was a criticism site for a criticism site.. How meta.

*straight away searches for my own username in discussions* Oh how boring.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Anroth wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:This very thread is subject to off-off-wiki (analogous to Off-Off-Broadway (T-H-L)?) ridicule.
I didnt know there was a criticism site for a criticism site.. How meta.

*straight away searches for my own username in discussions* Oh how boring.
It saves having to have a subforum on here for self-criticism. But it's so sad on there that instead of having The Joy they have The Sorrow. :)

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Presumably what an encyclopaedia should contain on the fictional evolution of a fictional creature invented to sell toys is whatever is contained in peer-reviewed scientific papers on the subject. That is: nothing at all.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Presumably what an encyclopaedia should contain on the fictional evolution of a fictional creature invented to sell toys is whatever is contained in peer-reviewed scientific papers on the subject. That is: nothing at all.
True, but allegedly Wikipedia aspires to contain all knowledge, not just what you'd expect in an encyclopaedia.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:44 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Presumably what an encyclopaedia should contain on the fictional evolution of a fictional creature invented to sell toys is whatever is contained in peer-reviewed scientific papers on the subject. That is: nothing at all.
Sold very much wherever toys are sold, even in stores specializing in automotive parts and hardware.

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 am

(Disclaimer: English is not my first language, I apologize for being verbose)

Hello and good day,

I made this account to report a cross-wiki vandal originating from the Pokemon wiki site Bulbapedia. I suspect that a banned/disgruntled former user of Bulbapedia is spreading disinformation regarding a certain Pokémon's by vandalising multiple wikis in trying to perpetuate a hoax. The reason for my concern is because the vandal in question is using the same type of diction/vocabulary to push an agenda out of spite. I witnessed this person vandalize at least 2 wikis in the past but since I am not an authority on wikis I cannot warn admins regarding this vandal so I post here in an attempt to bring this person to your attention.

The purpose of this post is to warn you about this vandal originating from here:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... ot_canine.

List of actions below:
He/she targeted the Pokemon Wikia under the username "Moonlit Sylveon" The talk page is filled with him/her lamenting about past history at Bulbapedia Userpage:
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Moonlit_Sylveon

His/Her pattern of Vandalism:
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Eevee?dif ... did=513670
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Flareon?d ... did=513651
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Jolteon?d ... did=513647
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Vaporeon? ... did=513656
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Glaceon?d ... did=513678

*Note that he/she made about 4 thousand edits there.

People trying to reason with Him/Her ended up like this:
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Pok% ... did=590976

The vandal also targeted the French Pokepedia by starting an edit war in these pages
http://www.pokepedia.fr/index.php?title ... did=837929
http://www.pokepedia.fr/index.php?title ... did=844578
http://www.pokepedia.fr/index.php?title ... did=901803

If you go to the article page in question under edit history one will notice the same agenda being pushed. The mods there eventually got fed up and restricted editing there.

User is targeting Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =745541938
Vandal uses same diction and vocabulary from since he started in the Pokemon wiki. Manages to get past protected article that links to Bulbapedia.

The vandal is also mentioned on other sites
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8138
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/221457633

The vandal also uses SEO manipulation and is actively astroturfing amazon. Uses the same language/agenda as before. Here are some examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Center-O ... B011QQ2CWK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokemon-Center ... B00DDDU15U
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takara-Tomy-Pok ... 45/?_ul=SV
https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Original ... B0177R74N4

You may be asking how I got this information. The vandal operates from a well known site, I will not mention the name but they are notorious for raiding and trolling for the "lolz". He/she uses autism as "justification" for his/her actions. May or may not be active again and will probably start a new wave of vandalism. I just wanted to warn you about this vandal. This is my only intent in sending this message.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:I just wanted to warn you about this vandal. This is my only intent in sending this message.
We'll add this miscreant to our list. Thank you for your service.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 am

Excellent analysis there, Kitsunerisu1945!

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 am

Disclaimer: (If my post is confusing or contains grammatical errors, please forgive me for english is not my native tongue)

Since the vandal is outside Bulbapedia's jurisdiction and Wikipedia is hostile to new contributors (in part because of their automated "anti-vandal system") I do not know who to inform/turn to. So therefore, I post here to bring attention to this vandal. Is there any other information that is needed here? I could post information contradicting the vandal's agenda (Eevee being based on foxes rather than felines) but am not sure if this is appropriate for the forum since this site is simply dedicated to criticizing the faults inherent in Wikipedia/wikis. Should I post this information? (If yes, the following post will be very long and inundated with sources)

Is there any other information needed for this thread? I know Pokémon is not relevant to educational discipline/not of interest of this site but I can help rectify the offending article if needed.

I apologize for disturbing the forum.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:36 am

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:Disclaimer: (If my post is confusing or contains grammatical errors, please forgive me for english is not my native tongue)

Since the vandal is outside Bulbapedia's jurisdiction and Wikipedia is hostile to new contributors (in part because of their automated "anti-vandal system") I do not know who to inform/turn to. So therefore, I post here to bring attention to this vandal. Is there any other information that is needed here? I could post information contradicting the vandal's agenda (Eevee being based on foxes rather than felines) but am not sure if this is appropriate for the forum since this site is simply dedicated to criticizing the faults inherent in Wikipedia/wikis. Should I post this information? (If yes, the following post will be very long and inundated with sources)

Is there any other information needed for this thread? I know Pokémon is not relevant to educational discipline/not of interest of this site but I can help rectify the offending article if needed.

I apologize for disturbing the forum.
Go ahead and post it. We get a lot of people who browse the site, and it will show up on Google. I will go over the post and shorten it by adding tags that will collapse parts so people can click on them to see the full post.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:11 am

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:...
FWIW.
You may be aware that kitsune means "fox" in Japanese. (In English kitsune (T-H-L) refers to the fox as a character in Japanese folklore.)
"Risu" (栗鼠 - literally* "chestnut mouse") means "squirrel".

* Well, not literally literally. The word, or rather its ancestor, existed before Japanese was a written language, and the Chinese characters were borrowed from Chinese purely for their meaning, and the modern Japanese pronunciation of 栗+鼠 would not be "ri+su". Technically, this is referred to as blah, blah, blah...

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:49 am

Go ahead and post it. We get a lot of people who browse the site, and it will show up on Google. I will go over the post and shorten it by adding tags that will collapse parts so people can click on them to see the full post.
I will post the info within 2 days. I need some time to cite and verify my sources/formatting before posting. Thank you for considering my proposal.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:
I will post the info within 2 days. I need some time to cite and verify my sources/formatting before posting. Thank you for considering my proposal.
With your detailed analysis, perhaps your research could very well end up being a Wikipediocracy blog post.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Johnny Au wrote: With your detailed analysis, perhaps your research could very well end up being a Wikipediocracy blog post.
Frankly, I doubt it, unless the subject of the blog is how something claiming to be an encyclopedia is dominated by ridiculous edit wars concerning trivia which doesn't belong there in the first place. If people want to write about Pokémon characters, there are plenty of vacuous fansites to do so on.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 pm

I agree with The Grump. I assumed that the encouragement to turn this stuff into a blog was a particularly cutting form of sarcasm.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:I agree with The Grump. I assumed that the encouragement to turn this stuff into a blog was a particularly cutting form of sarcasm.
If it had been written by any other forum regular, I'd have assumed the same thing...

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:05 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Rogol Domedonfors wrote:I agree with The Grump. I assumed that the encouragement to turn this stuff into a blog was a particularly cutting form of sarcasm.
If it had been written by any other forum regular, I'd have assumed the same thing...
Let's make the effort to get along.
:cat:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:07 am

Update: I am having some problems with translating some sources into English. It may take me some time to post the report. Please forgive me for being late. The report will be structured like this:

Link:What Animal is Eevee based on?

This was an old proposal/discussion I brought into a Pokémon forum/wiki long ago. Consider it a preview of what is to come. I am not certain it will be appropriate here as earlier posters mentioned. My plan here is a modernized version of prior link above, but with more sources and information. I apologize for inconviencing this forum.
Last edited by Zoloft on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed format of hyperlink including comma separator between URL and title

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 am

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:I apologize for inconviencing this forum.
Now that's a sincerely conviencing apology!

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 am

Part 1

After weeks of compilation, I post this article as promised for the forum of Wikipediocracy for the purpose of debating Eevee’s species and origin. While it has been argued that a fictional creature does not belong in an online encyclopedia or merit any topic in academia as stated by previous posters, Eevee represents a mascot for Nintendo’s Pokémon franchise symbolizing a billion-dollar industry staunchly associated with the culture of Japan. For all intents and purposes, Eevee is notable because of its popularity and marketing appeal for one of Nintendo’s flagship franchises.
Known as the Evolution Pokémon in the games and the animé, Eevee is a rabbit-eared feline-like Pokémon with an unstable genetic code, which allows it to evolve into eight different Pokémon depending on the situation, which are informally known as "Eeveelutions".
From Wikipedia’s article page regarding Eevee
Source

From simply using a search engine and perusing Japanese sources, I cannot find no publication other than Wikipedia labeling Eevee as a “Rabbit Eared Feline” or a Norwegian Forest Cat (asserted by wiki user Plasma Phantom); in fact, Wikipedia cites Bulbapedia as their primary source.

The Wiki directs to this article in question.
Source
On Bulbapedia’s origin section regarding the Pokémon Eevee:
Eevee shares traits with foxes, more specifically the fennec fox, dogs and cats.
Not only Bulbapedia contradicts Wikipedia, several other media publications also do so.
Here is the article regarding Eevee’s origin from Spanish Pokémon site Wikidex.

Source
Eevee es un Pokémon de tipo normal que se asemeja en tamaño y forma a un pequeño zorro, posee largas orejas puntiagudas y una cola en forma de pincel. Su cuerpo de constitución física, ágil y flexible, está adaptado a la velocidad y la agilidad.
A rough translation of this would be:

Eevee is a normal type Pokémon that resembles a small fox as it has the long ears and distinctive brush tail. It has an adaptable constitution when interacting with its environment.

Here is another article from PokéWiki owned by Filb.de (German Pokemon news site equivalent to Serebii.)
Source
Evolis äußere Erscheinung weist Merkmale von Wüstenfüchsen, Katzenund Hunden auf. Vor allem in seiner Debüt-Episode im Anime erinnert sein Auftreten mit Leine und Marke, sowie sein Verhalten stark an das eines Haushundes.
Die grundlegende Idee des Designs ist vor allem der japanischen Legende des Marderhundes (japanisch Tanuki) nachempfunden. Der Tanuki kann sich in Gegenstände und andere Lebewesen, sogar in Menschen verwandeln. Laut der Legende besitzen sie auch magische Kräfte und können Naturelemente wie Blitz, Feuer und Wasser manipulieren und so kontrollieren. Auch die zuvor genannten Katzen und Füchse sind in der japanischen Mythologie in der Lage, ihre Gestalt zu wechseln, weshalb auch äußere Merkmale dieser Tiere im Design Evolis und seiner Entwicklungen auftauchen.
The English equivalent of this would be:

Eevee's appearance has characteristics of desert foxes (fennecs), cats and dogs. Eevee debuted with leash and brand in the anime, displaying behavior reminiscent of a domestic dog.
Eevee is modelled after the Japanese Tanuki or raccoon dog, an entitiy that is said to possess supernatural powers and manuipulate the elements in Japanese mythology. The vulpine and feline characteristics in the Eevee's Evolutions are a result of the tanuki's ability to shapeshift.

The Italian equivalent of Wikipedia disputes their own affiliate:
Source
"Eevee è basato sulle volpi, in particolare sul fennec. Potrebbe essere ispirato al tanuki o ai miacidi."
In English this would translate as:

Eevee is based on foxes, in particular the fennec. It is also inspired by the tanuki [in Japanese folklore]

As demonstrated above, a cursory perusal of any source regarding Pokémon will cast reasonable doubt on the articles verifiability. With the overwhelming contradictory evidence against Wikipedia’s article it is obvious that the current information there regarding Eevee is blatantly false. The notion that Eevee is “Feline” is not supported by academic consensus outlined by Wikipedia’s guidelines, nor supported by reliable sources.

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 am

Part 2
Frankly, I doubt it, unless the subject of the blog is how something claiming to be an encyclopedia is dominated by ridiculous edit wars concerning trivia which doesn't belong there in the first place. If people want to write about Pokémon characters, there are plenty of vacuous fansites to do so on.
Eevee over the years: Historical Revisionism & Ridiculous Edit Wars
The Pokémon Eevee has been subject to numerous edit war “crusades” by numerous vandals. I post here to bring this to Wikipedia's attention. There has been revisionism by the "Feline" Faction slowly astroturfing all sources regarding the Pokémon Eevee.

Exhibit A:
Edit war crusade.PNG
Above are vandals who plan to edit war multiple wikis over a fictional character. In this case, the subject is the Pokémon Umbreon one of the evolutionary variants of Eevee.

Exhibit B:
Umbreon over the Years.png
Umbreon Article when Bulbapedia began to gain prominence. (2009)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... did=899605
Umbreon: 2010
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... id=1040319
Umbreon: 2011
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... id=1301849
Above sources are in order depicted by the picture regarding Umbreon.

Note: Due to image size restrictions in this site I had to split this post into several parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:02 am

Part 3
Eevee over the years: Historical Revisionism & Ridiculous Edit Wars (continued from last post).

Exhibit C:
Eevee over the years part 1.gif
Eevee over the years part 2.gif
Source of screenshots and relevant wiki articles below

Eevee: 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d=33323969
Eevee: 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =137054137
Eevee: 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =399656813
Eevee: 2012-2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =622321910
Eevee 2016-2017:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eevee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 am

I will post more information later this week due to having problems with the website's image limits. I will structure my later posts with more evidence and with compilation of sources.

Edit: For some reason my images posted are not displaying properly

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Kitsunerisu1945 wrote:I will post more information later this week due to having problems with the website's image limits. I will structure my later posts with more evidence and with compilation of sources.

Edit: For some reason my images posted are not displaying properly
Link the images and use the sm BBCode tag.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 pm

I learned so much from the Great Eevee War, right down to a possible homage or plagiarism.

Kitsunerisu1945
Contributor

Unread post by Kitsunerisu1945 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Part 2: Corrected Revision**
*For some reason I cannot edit/correct my previous post of the broken formatting.
**Corrected version of part 2 and 3 are merged into this single post.
In response to this, one of the reasons I post here is to bring this vandalism to Wikipedia's attention. The Pokémon Eevee has been subject to numerous edit war “crusades” by numerous vandals spilling from said Pokémon fansites that force their agenda despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. There has been revisionism by the "Feline" Faction slowly astroturfing all sources regarding the Pokémon Eevee.

Exhibit A:

Above are vandals who plan to edit war multiple wikis over a fictional character. In this case, the subject is the Pokémon Umbreon one of the evolutionary variants of Eevee.

Exhibit B:

The results of edit war crusade by vandals as shown in Exhibit A.

Umbreon Article when Bulbapedia began to gain prominence. (2009)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... did=899605
Umbreon: 2010
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... id=1040319
Umbreon: 2011
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w/ind ... id=1301849

This serves as a precedent to the rampant astroturfing of the Eeveelution articles in Bulbapedia.

Exhibit C:

The Eevee article in Wikipedia is also targeted.

Eevee: 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d=33323969
Eevee: 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =137054137
Eevee: 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =399656813
Eevee: 2012-2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =622321910
Eevee 2016-2017:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eevee

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Thank you for providing such conclusive evidence that anything claiming to be an encyclopedia shouldn't be hosting such vacuous fan-cruft in the first place. If it wasn't for the fact that the WMF undoubtedly gains significant funding from people who actually give a shit about such drivel, it would probably be a trivial matter to get the whole lot deleted. Pokémon as a subject merits an article. This ridiculous imaginary cat-fox-rabbit-whatever doesn't, because nobody but obsessive Pokémon fans gives a rats arse what it is supposed to be.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 am

I never understood this snobbishness. Who are you to determine what should be in and what shouldn't?

Eevee (T-H-L) (a "C"-class article) by itself has more monthly pageviews than The Left Hand of Darkness (T-H-L), an FA. The former has more pageviews than Ansible (T-H-L), Arthur Dent (T-H-L), Ged (Earthsea) (T-H-L), Tehanu (T-H-L), and Mr. Toad (T-H-L) put together.

If you're not interested in the subject, don't read it. I'm not interested in 18th century Western Classical music or the classification of spiders.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:06 am

I'm with The Grump here. Fancruft isn't knowledge. Popularity isn't knowledge. Wikipedia isn't knowledge.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:42 am

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Eevee article history: more than a little odd in places. It started out as a fancruft stub 'article' about the Pokémon whatever-it-is back in 2003, by 2005 had transmuted into this table based fancruft monstrosity https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d=14579355 (which incidentally tells the reader amongst other things that Eevee is "extremely unique" as if there any other kind of uniqueness), and then reverted to something which actually bore a vague resemblance to encyclopaedic content - at least until you read it. By July 2007 common sense seems to have prevailed, and the article was replaced by a redirect to 'List of Pokémon (121-140)' (fortunately now also a redirect). So far so bog-standard for content of marginal-at-best merit. Except that some bright spark IP contributor decided to hijack the redirect, and convert it into an article (in mangled English) about a '4-piece Filipino rock group'. Needless to say an edit war ensued, the final result of which seems to be that the band are now covered (in something closer to a half-decent stub, by the usual mediocre Wikipedia obscure band coverage standards) as Eevee (band) (T-H-L).

Come October 2010 though the redirect was an article again - all done in one fell swoop by a newish contributor (GS Sentret (T-C-L)), who seems to have grasped all the complexities of Wiki formatting in no time at all: or more likely, one might well suspect, was entirely familiar with it under another account name.

Another attempt at a redirect in 2015 was to no avail, and we now can see the end result - an article which tells us that this creature-not-a-rock-band is " feline-like" while citing no source, rather than as previously claiming that it was some sort of fox while not citing a source either. It seems from what little sense I can make of the cruft that this non-Filipino-cat-fox-thing's most distinguishing characteristic is its ability to rapidly evolve into something else entirely, and I can't help noting that the same can be said of the article. And I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest that such structural instability, while it may be advantageous to doe-eyed-bushy-tailed rabbit-eared carnivores, isn't generally the sign of good encyclopaedic coverage. If there is a real topic, and real sources that actually tell us about the topic in any significant detail, the required article structure should be readily apparent, and a reader who knows nothing about this mutable-thing beforehand should stand a fighting chance of actually understanding more afterwards. Something the present article singularly fails to do, as it mentions other Pokémon characters ('Bill', 'May', 'Ash') without the slightest explanation of who they are, and tells us that one of them (May) took an Eevee to "Route 217" in order to evolve, without the slightest explanation of why this 'route' is of any significance. This isn't just fancruft, it is garbled factoid-fancruft of the worst kind. And it should be noted, now a darned sight less readable than GS Sentret's October 2010 version (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =390993971). So much for evolution...