Ricky81682 apparently has been sock puppeting

Eric Corbett
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Re: Ricky81682 apparently has been sock puppeting

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm

In the same way that presidents and prime ministers have fixed limits on their terms, then so should Wikipedia administrators.

Nothing else makes sense.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 am

Yeah, reviewing every single users use of rollback would be completely insane. :banana: If someone is misusing rollback it's a simple matter for an admin to just revoke it.

There did used to be voluntary review systems, but not enough people actually did reviews to sustain it. I actually closed admin review after the last request posted there sat for seven months without a review. Editor review was closed as inactive way back in 2014.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm
In the same way that presidents and prime ministers have fixed limits on their terms, then so should Wikipedia administrators.

Nothing else makes sense.
Is the suggestion that nobody can remain an admin indefinitely even if he keeps passing RfAs? In the US, a president cannot serve for more than eight years (or slightly longer if he's a VP and something happens to the President). However, there is no limit to how long someone can be a president in some countries. In the UK, and indeed in every country that I know much about, someone can remain PM for as long as he can win elections.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I think it would be healthier for everyone if WP administrators had fixed terms, yes. If at the end of that term they want to go through another RfA, fine.

As UK parliaments have fixed terms, then so does a prime minister.

Icewhiz
Banned
Wikipedia User: Icewhiz

Unread post by Icewhiz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm
I think it would be healthier for everyone if WP administrators had fixed terms, yes. If at the end of that term they want to go through another RfA, fine.

Some other language Wikipedias have fixed terms. The Hebrew Wikiepdia has a 3 year term. Once up - (if you want) you ask for a RFA again. Works.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Icewhiz wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:06 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:

Some other language Wikipedias have fixed terms. The Hebrew Wikiepdia has a 3 year term. Once up - (if you want) you ask for a RFA again. Works.
Wikipedia arbitrators have fixed terms, so why not administrators?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
This suggestion is also part of the working group proposals.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:28 pm

This has been discussed on-wiki many, many times. The usual objections are are that it would create huge waves of reconfirmations, especially at first, estimated at 20+ per week, and also admins aren't the president of the United States, they are volunteers on a website. That and arbcom already deals with serious breaches of expected standards of admin behavior. We've got three open cases right now that are basically all about this.

Arbcom is of course not perfect, (even with me on it :evilgrin:) and I've often disagreed with how they've handled certain admin issues, but I can't believe more RFAs is the best possible solution. A resurrected version of admin review, that was binding but not a full RFA, seems more reasonable but it would still have a very heavy case load.

Another alternative is of course community-based removal of admin tools, currently not a thing on EN.WP but it is on some other projects such as Meta. I think to actually accomplish this it would have to be a very long process, going step-by step through multiple RFCs, the first one asking only "should we do this at all" and leaving the details to be worked out later in the process. This is where previous efforts went bad, I drafted a proposed process, and asked others to help develop it. Literally nobody did that, they just wrote whole new processes and we wound up with 17 competing proposals, many of which were nearly the same my original draft. Didn't end well.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 pm

If admin rights expired and had to be renewed every year, RfA as we know it would cease to exist. And that's a good thing.

Make admin renewal a notice on a page where people can chime in.
"If anyone objects, let them speak now or forever (for a year) hold their peace."

Ballparking:
90% of admins would have no opposes.
5% would have stupid or vindictive opposes.
5% would have legitimate concerns that would prevent renewing the admin right for a year.

Edit: Fucking auto co-rectangle
Last edited by Vigilant on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 pm

The current system more or less works. Bad actors are being weeded out. The process is slow.

t

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 pm
The current system more or less works. Bad actors are being weeded out. The process is slow.

t
It is far too slow and indeed too often nonexistent. Most people here can think of an admin, maybe more than one, who should have been desysopped years ago.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 pm

t
On the contrary, the current system more or less doesn't work. The process, such as it is, is glacial, not just slow.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:28 pm
This has been discussed on-wiki many, many times. The usual objections are are that it would create huge waves of reconfirmations, especially at first, estimated at 20+ per week, and also admins aren't the president of the United States, they are volunteers on a website. That and arbcom already deals with serious breaches of expected standards of admin behavior. We've got three open cases right now that are basically all about this.
Indeed they aren't the president of the United States, but they act as if they are.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
This has been discussed on-wiki many, many times.
Yeah, by admins.
Beeblebrox wrote:
admins aren't the president of the United States, they are volunteers on a website.
Which is the ideology of why they aren't responsible for anything. The lack of accountability is a major source of the toxicity.
Beeblebrox wrote:
That and arbcom already deals with serious breaches of expected standards of admin behavior.
Like blatant violations of the checkuser policy and false statements violating the Terms of Use that were allowed to happen in full view of ArbCom and remain in effect for a year? Mkay.
Beeblebrox wrote:
We've got three open cases right now that are basically all about this.
This year's ArbCom seems to be doing a serious job. Especially compared to last year's. Kudos.
Beeblebrox wrote:
A resurrected version of admin review, that was binding but not a full RFA, seems more reasonable but it would still have a very heavy case load.
Editors do pay the price of bureaucracy when they are reviewed. It is the price of an overly bureaucratic society that can't focus on simple facts, but rather needs confirmation from allegedly "reliable sources" - such as arbs and admins in these matters - to be able to see what's in front of their eyes. Admins are prominent in creating these complicated practices, so if they want less "heavy case load" it's up to them to decrease the complications their actions and handling of cases introduces into the everyday contributor experience.
Yeah, I don't expect them to understand this.
Beeblebrox wrote:
Another alternative is of course community-based removal of admin tools, currently not a thing on EN.WP but it is on some other projects such as Meta.
It's unfortunate that the community thinks at first about sanctions when such a process comes to discussion. In a healthy community, matters would be addressed before coming to sanctioning. Regular review (feedback) of one's actions is a form to prevent things spiraling out of control. That's the good-faith approach. That's a lighter process than an RfA. It maybe as simple as "Everything is ok, thanks for helping with this and that last summer."
Beeblebrox wrote:
I think to actually accomplish this it would have to be a very long process, going step-by step through multiple RFCs, the first one asking only "should we do this at all"
This RfC without a vote actually happened a few months ago. Why are you talking in conditionals?

Beeblebrox wrote:
and leaving the details to be worked out later in the process. This is where previous efforts went bad, I drafted a proposed process, and asked others to help develop it. Literally nobody did that, they just wrote whole new processes and we wound up with 17 competing proposals, many of which were nearly the same my original draft. Didn't end well.
I'd be interested to read those if you were to link them.
I understand what you might have had to go through. There are many editors unexperienced in social matters, yet opining on questions regarding those matters, unknowingly causing disruption and tanking proposals. This is a major shortcoming of the community and the common values rather support these elements than experienced, trained contributors who actually have a clue.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Indeed they aren't the president of the United States, but they act as if they are.
Probably there are more people who trust what it says on Wikipedia (as produced by or under the supervision of these admins) than what the current President of the USA says. So they aren't that unimportant.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39 am
...I don't know exactly what this was about, but harassment is a hot-button issue that won't be easy to overcome, plus whatever these other "serious policy violations" were.
The precipitating event (which we covered in this thread, registration required, sorry) was that he posted something mean about User:Masem (T-C-L) on Twitter, but before that he'd engaged in an "experiment" (lasting about three months or so) during which he pretended to be a black dude.

I mean, we can laugh about it now...
Yea, good ol' Masem, Sealion Extraordinaire.

It was mostly a jest, Beebs, as I'm not even slightly apologetic over that affair. Besides, socking isn't a big deal if you keep your head down... :B'

Btw, the PoC thing was more of a blip/whim, really. The longer experiment was going conservative; a pre-Trump conservative, when they still had a shred of dignity, but it was dirty nonetheless.

I could always dig up that old Allen West avatar again and see if Vigilant is still triggered. :evilgrin:
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Tarc wrote:I could always dig up that old Allen West avatar again and see if Vigilant is still triggered. :evilgrin:
It almost seems quaint compared to Cheetoh Mussolini
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.