Wikipedians and passive-aggressiveness

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Wikipedians and passive-aggressiveness

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat May 07, 2016 1:09 pm

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat#Mathsci_is_abusing_the_thanking_feature_to_spam_my_notifications (permalink)

I've never thought that I would have to create a thread on Mathsci, but here he is, using passive-aggressive retaliation against me. I say "passive-aggressive retaliation" since he isn't being openly hostile, but anyone who digs deep enough to learn what's going on would know that this is Mathsci being hostile.

Does anyone else here have stories of Wikipedians retaliating passive-aggressively?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Re: Wikipedians and passive-aggressiveness

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat May 07, 2016 1:25 pm

What's his beef with you? Need some history on this one.

GlwnDwr
Critic

Unread post by GlwnDwr » Sat May 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Isn't being a passive aggressive, manipulative sociopath the whole point of making an account?

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat May 07, 2016 2:46 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:What's his beef with you? Need some history on this one.
I told Advocate about what Mathsci was saying about him behind his back.

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun May 08, 2016 12:23 am

Wiki-drama!

Seriously, though, only non-admins are passive-aggressive. Admins are aggressive-aggressive.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 08, 2016 12:40 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:What's his beef with you? Need some history on this one.
I told Advocate about what Mathsci was saying about him behind his back.
I like to call it harassment and bullying through policy. As long as the person is an admin or has a high standing with the admins they can twist policy to do pretty much anything they want, to anyone that want, with impunity.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun May 08, 2016 11:02 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat#Mathsci_is_abusing_the_thanking_feature_to_spam_my_notifications (permalink)

I've never thought that I would have to create a thread on Mathsci, but here he is, using passive-aggressive retaliation against me. I say "passive-aggressive retaliation" since he isn't being openly hostile, but anyone who digs deep enough to learn what's going on would know that this is Mathsci being hostile.

Does anyone else here have stories of Wikipedians retaliating passive-aggressively?
Not specifically, but there was, I recall, minor mirth at a previous 'incident' of 'thanks terrorism', starting from this post: viewtopic.php?p=81847#p81847
I remember it because of the marvellous term "Wikipediavellian", which I haven't used anywhere near enough since...
Well, that and it was funny...

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun May 08, 2016 11:33 am

I have a rather strange story. There is an editor who seems to only edit Korean topics, which I have no interest in. By chance I edited an article about Park Yeon-mi (T-H-L), a North Korean defector, some of whose stories have been questioned. I opened an RfC there which resulted in a decision against their version (they wanted to remove or minimize all mentions of the questions raised about her story).

Next thing I know they are popping up on random Israel-Palestine articles which they never edited before, which I also happened to edit. They did not revert my edits, but only others on "my side", so to speak. Or they will show up to cast a vote opposing me at AfD. They never addressed me directly in these interactions. I asked them about it, but they never replied.

I would guess that this sort of behaviour is not uncommon among others, given Wikipedia's Panopticon-like structure. This is just a weird case. It just felt creepy, though I wasn't too bothered about it.

By the way I have been told in real life that I'm passive-aggressive myself. So it's possible that I have done this kind of stuff myself. I hope not, but it's hard to judge oneself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun May 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Kingsindian wrote:I have a rather strange story. There is an editor who seems to only edit Korean topics, which I have no interest in. By chance I edited an article about Park Yeon-mi (T-H-L), a North Korean defector, some of whose stories have been questioned. I opened an RfC there which resulted in a decision against their version (they wanted to remove or minimize all mentions of the questions raised about her story).

Next thing I know they are popping up on random Israel-Palestine articles which they never edited before, which I also happened to edit. They did not revert my edits, but only others on "my side", so to speak. Or they will show up to cast a vote opposing me at AfD. They never addressed me directly in these interactions. I asked them about it, but they never replied.

I would guess that this sort of behaviour is not uncommon among others, given Wikipedia's Panopticon-like structure. This is just a weird case. It just felt creepy, though I wasn't too bothered about it.

By the way I have been told in real life that I'm passive-aggressive myself. So it's possible that I have done this kind of stuff myself. I hope not, but it's hard to judge oneself.
Point us to a couple tainted AfDs...

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun May 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Here is a list of articles and AfD's where they popped up.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 08, 2016 5:57 pm

The Wikipedia culture really embraces passive-aggressiveness. It's literally built into policy including:
*Wikipedia:Revert, block, ignore (T-H-L)
*Wikipedia:Nobody cares (T-H-L)
*Wikipedia:Deny recognition (T-H-L)

And plenty of others.

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Kumioko wrote:The Wikipedia culture really embraces passive-aggressiveness. It's literally built into policy including:
*Wikipedia:Revert, block, ignore (T-H-L)
*Wikipedia:Nobody cares (T-H-L)
*Wikipedia:Deny recognition (T-H-L)

And plenty of others.
WP:DENY and WP:RBI are decent strategies for a banned troll who's just trying to get people mad, but when someone is legitimately trying to say something it kind of flies in the face of the whole "Don't be a dick" policy. There was a time when I was trying to tell admins that two accounts CU'd as mine were actually innocent, unrelated users caught in the crossfire, and my explanations got rollbacked every time. Of course, I was committing a double no-no: I was not only editing in violation of a block, but also questioning the conventional wisdom that the CheckUser tool and those entrusted with it are both infallible and false positives don't happen.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Yeah I won't deny there is a time and place to use Deny and RBI but these are 2 of the most abused essay policies out there.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Sun May 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Kumioko wrote:Yeah I won't deny there is a time and place to use Deny and RBI but these are 2 of the most abused essay policies out there.
The other one of the top three being "Bold, Revert, Discuss" (and by the "essay policy" probably isn't the right term. More like: essay-we-treat-as-policy-when-it-works-for-us-but-say-"it's-just-an-essay"-when-it-doesn't).

Tokenevil
Regular

Unread post by Tokenevil » Sun May 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Passive agressiveness is what you get when you force civility without actually improving the environemment.

I suppose it is even ampliflied in wiki because nerds have no muscle and don't punch things. Try MMA or something. Or Tai Chi if you're that old.

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun May 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Tokenevil wrote:Passive agressiveness is what you get when you force civility without actually improving the environemment.

I suppose it is even ampliflied in wiki because nerds have no muscle and don't punch things. Try MMA or something. Or Tai Chi if you're that old.
This is one of the stupidest comments I've ever read.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Sun May 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Lightbreather types: I am a nerd who has no muscle and doesn't punch things

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Lightbreather wrote:
Tokenevil wrote:Passive agressiveness is what you get when you force civility without actually improving the environemment.

This is one of the stupidest comments I've ever read.
If this is one of the stupidest comments you have read you must not have spent much time on Wiki. Because there is some dumb stuff going on there. :D

Starke Hathaway
Critic
Wikipedia User: Starke Hathaway

Unread post by Starke Hathaway » Mon May 09, 2016 12:05 am

Lightbreather wrote: This is one of the stupidest comments I've ever read.
When you consider that Lightbreather probably reads her own comments, that is a pretty sick burn.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon May 09, 2016 12:16 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat#Mathsci_is_abusing_the_thanking_feature_to_spam_my_notifications (permalink)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat#Mathsci_is_abusing_the_thanking_feature_to_spam_my_notifications (permalink)

Mathsci claims that it was a misunderstanding. He claims that he was using the "thank" feature to "acknowledge" my comments. Nevertheless, I should note that Mathsci hardly ever uses the "thank" feature at enwiki, despite being more active at enwiki than at Meta.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 am

For the record, Antony, you're an asshole and I look forward to seeing you banned again.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon May 09, 2016 1:18 am

Vigilant wrote:For the record, Antony, you're an asshole and I look forward to seeing you banned again.
There was never, at any point, any doubt that they would be rebanned again. That's exactly what the Arbcom is counting on. By unabanning people that they know will get rebanned again, they can say that they are doing their job and giving people a second chance while also showing that they are needed. They know these people are going to get rebanned at which time they can keep the cycle of usefullness going.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon May 09, 2016 4:53 am

Kumioko wrote:Yeah I won't deny there is a time and place to use Deny and RBI but these are 2 of the most abused essay policies out there.
There is no such fucking thing as an "essay policy."

Essays are opinion pieces that have no force of institutional law. They may be the idiosyncratic viewpoint of a single individual.

Policies are the highest level of site law, approved by the community at large as behaviors to be generally followed in all but exceptional cases.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 am

Starke Hathaway wrote:
When you consider that Lightbreather probably reads her own comments, that is a pretty sick burn.
It was a pretty fucking dumb comment.

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Starke Hathaway wrote:
It was a pretty fucking dumb comment.

RfB
I found the comment rather logical myself. If you can't show aggression openly, you are driven towards covert or passive-aggressive ways. Irreconcilable disagreements or grudges don't disappear magically if a civility policy is enforced.