Editors preventing articles from having infoboxes

fireflyfanboy
kołdry
Wikipedia User: fireflyfanboy

Editors preventing articles from having infoboxes

Unread post by fireflyfanboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:25 am

Hi gang, I'm fireflyfanboy, I'm a longtime Wikipedia editor and I joined this site specifically to raise awareness of the craziness surrounding the bios of both Ezra Pound and James Joyce. I don't know if this the best place to post about this, but I thought this would be the place to vent my frustration.

So, both the bio articles for authors James Joyce and Ezra Pound don't have infoboxes, based on consensus reached on their respective talk pages. However, the talk pages are infuriating, and basically the reason they don't have infoboxes is because of a very vocal minority of what seem to be diehard modernist fans claiming that Joyce and Pound's lives are "too complex" to be contained in an infobox, despite the fact that all infoboxes are supposed to do is make basic biographical data accessible.

Here's some things over heard in the talk page discussion for Pound's bio (which can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... of_Infobox)
I dislike an infobox for this particular article for a number of reasons, but mostly because the peculiarities of Pound's life are difficult to distill into the fields of an infobox. He was born in Hailey but only lived there for the first 18 months of his life; he went to the University of Pennsylvania but graduated from Hamilton; he was married to Dorothy but had a half-century affair with Olga; he had a child with his mistress, his wife had a child presumably fathered by someone else; the list of his influences is long and in turn he influenced the next generation or two of poets. I've tried to write the lead in such a manner that the facts of his life are presented there without the necessity of the infobox. Truthkeeper88 (talk) 12:39, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
In the second go-around in asking if Pound could get an infobox, the argument gets even stranger. Despite addressing many of the issues laid out in the argument above, stuff got weird, and really argumentative. I won't even try to summarize, go read it for yourself at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... ed_infobox.

But, at least there was discussion in Pound's biography, and at least good, common sense people were making the good, common sense argument that Pound's bio article needed an infobox. That is hardly the case with Joyce's bio article, where the idea was dismissed quickly, without much discussion and only a straw poll to gauge whether it was necessary. (You can find more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jame ... infobox.3F)

So now, two of the most important English-speaking writers of the 20th century are sans infobox, which, despite what the people who made that rule will tell you, are pretty important in terms of getting basic biographical info. You know have to look pretty hard to find when and where Pound died, for example, or any info about Joyce's marriage.

Shit like this just frustrates the hell out of me, and I wanted to vent my frustration and anger with you guys, because I just find the rationale behind this bullshit to be completely fascinating, and would love further insight at this culture of preventing certain aspects of Wikipedia from existing simply because the editors in charge don't feel like it is a proper summary of a subject's life.
Last edited by Hex on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broadened thread title.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Re: I joined to raise awareness of James Joyce/ Ezra Pound b

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:47 am

Infoboxes can detract from the article and be aesthetically unpleasing. What's the point if the same information is in the article itself?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:54 am

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 am

I'll plump down on the side of infoboxes. I enjoy a tidy little summation.

However, I wouldn't choose to edit-war trying to convince somebody to share my views.

Infobox or no infobox should be a style decision made by a paid editorial staff. That Wikipedia chooses to let any random set of editors decide style and features is insane.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 am

I'm usually in the "infoboxes should burn in hell" camp, though I might be prejudiced by seeing a hundred troll/vandal/POV edits fighting over the "result" field about whether Israel or Hezbollah or Hamas won the war...

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 am

:welcome: fireflyfanboy.

Every argument against infoboxes is illegitimate. People sometimes want bits of information quickly. Wikipedia evolved infoboxes to serve that purpose in a consistent way. The casual reader expects them to be everywhere, because that's what Wikipedia has trained them to do. For an infobox to mysteriously be absent from an article - and it is mysterious, casual readers may not even know that talk pages exist - is frustrating. It forces the reader to wade through article text to find those bits. And as we all know, article text may be completely awful, long-winded, clunky, and repetitive, with facts strewn around in no consistent fashion. For a group of editors to decide that they know best about a topic and prevent the appearance of an infobox is an act of grotesque narcissism.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 am

I thought the bits of information should be present in the lead. In fact, MOS:LEAD states that the lead should suffice as a stand alone article because most people only read the lead. I never understood the point of infoboxes.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 am

I cannot believe that Wikipedia cannot get a simple concept like infoboxes under control. From what I've seen, about every other wiki-war is whether or not to have one. Been an editor for 10 years and tired of doing real editing? Run around to all the bios and either remove or insert an infobox, and watch the fun! Dreadstar was desyssoped over an infobox (although at that point I don't think he cared), but most established editors get away with murder so feel free to cause all the chaos they want.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 am

Kingsindian wrote:I never understood the point of infoboxes.
Just curious, do you understand the point of an abstract before a scholarly paper? Do you understand the point of a book cover? Do you understand the top section of a LinkedIn profile?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:47 am

The Joy wrote:Infoboxes can detract from the article and be aesthetically unpleasing. What's the point if the same information is in the article itself?
I don't agree, Infoboxes help by summarizing the information in the article so one does not have to read the entire thing to get the highlights. However, having said that, many of them are way too long, with too much information crammed into them and they need to be trimmed down. For example, look at the Infobox for Iraq War (T-H-L). It scrolls half way down the page.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 am

Kumioko wrote:
The Joy wrote:Infoboxes can detract from the article and be aesthetically unpleasing. What's the point if the same information is in the article itself?
I don't agree, Infoboxes help by summarizing the information in the article so one does not have to read the entire thing to get the highlights. However, having said that, many of them are way too long, with too much information crammed into them and they need to be trimmed down. For example, look at the Infobox for Iraq War (T-H-L). It scrolls half way down the page.
Maybe the point here is: If the subject is so complex that an infobox can't effectively summarize it, maybe it needs to be broken up into separate articles.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Kumioko wrote:
I don't really see what's wrong with that - there are a lot of statistics associated with such a huge topic, and it makes sense having some of them gathered together in a box. Yes it's a long box - are you short of screen space? Does it prevent you from reading the body text? My knowledge of the combat is pretty limited, but just by glancing over the box I can get an idea of the combatant groups, key dates, casualty figures, etc. That's great.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Surely the best way to reflect James Joyce is to make his article absolutely incomprehensible and impossible to read through. Having an infobox would certainly not help in this aim.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Poetlister wrote:Surely the best way to reflect James Joyce is to make his article absolutely incomprehensible and impossible to read through. Having an infobox would certainly not help in this aim.
:rotfl:

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:04 pm

fireflyfanboy wrote:Hi gang, I'm fireflyfanboy, I'm a longtime Wikipedia editor and I joined this site specifically to raise awareness of the craziness surrounding the bios of both Ezra Pound and James Joyce. I don't know if this the best place to post about this, but I thought this would be the place to vent my frustration.

So, both the bio articles for authors James Joyce and Ezra Pound don't have infoboxes, based on consensus reached on their respective talk pages. However, the talk pages are infuriating, and basically the reason they don't have infoboxes is because of a very vocal minority of what seem to be diehard modernist fans claiming that Joyce and Pound's lives are "too complex" to be contained in an infobox, despite the fact that all infoboxes are supposed to do is make basic biographical data accessible.

Here's some things over heard in the talk page discussion for Pound's bio (which can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... of_Infobox)
I dislike an infobox for this particular article for a number of reasons, but mostly because the peculiarities of Pound's life are difficult to distill into the fields of an infobox. He was born in Hailey but only lived there for the first 18 months of his life; he went to the University of Pennsylvania but graduated from Hamilton; he was married to Dorothy but had a half-century affair with Olga; he had a child with his mistress, his wife had a child presumably fathered by someone else; the list of his influences is long and in turn he influenced the next generation or two of poets. I've tried to write the lead in such a manner that the facts of his life are presented there without the necessity of the infobox. Truthkeeper88 (talk) 12:39, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
In the second go-around in asking if Pound could get an infobox, the argument gets even stranger. Despite addressing many of the issues laid out in the argument above, stuff got weird, and really argumentative. I won't even try to summarize, go read it for yourself at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... ed_infobox.

But, at least there was discussion in Pound's biography, and at least good, common sense people were making the good, common sense argument that Pound's bio article needed an infobox. That is hardly the case with Joyce's bio article, where the idea was dismissed quickly, without much discussion and only a straw poll to gauge whether it was necessary. (You can find more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jame ... infobox.3F)

So now, two of the most important English-speaking writers of the 20th century are sans infobox, which, despite what the people who made that rule will tell you, are pretty important in terms of getting basic biographical info. You know have to look pretty hard to find when and where Pound died, for example, or any info about Joyce's marriage.

Shit like this just frustrates the hell out of me, and I wanted to vent my frustration and anger with you guys, because I just find the rationale behind this bullshit to be completely fascinating, and would love further insight at this culture of preventing certain aspects of Wikipedia from existing simply because the editors in charge don't feel like it is a proper summary of a subject's life.
I have collaborated on only one talk page where I found the talk page discussion to be productive. Most long-term editors have perfected the art of acting like they are collaborating in good faith, but are in actuality obsfucating the discussion, just wearing you down. When you finally say something to that effect, then the opposing editor's cronies, who have been waiting on the sideline for the opportunity to jump in on a discussion that they have no other interest in than keeping their allies when they are obsfucating discussions, start telling you to be civil. It's an unworkable system if you aren't willing to lower yourself to the level of behavior of most of the long term editors.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Kingsindian wrote:I thought the bits of information should be present in the lead. In fact, MOS:LEAD states that the lead should suffice as a stand alone article because most people only read the lead. I never understood the point of infoboxes.
I used to rail against infoboxes, but I've come to recognize that they're the first step toward structured data, which (if actually implemented meaningfully on Wikipedia) would make Wikipedia eleventy-seven times more useful.

There will always be corner cases that do not fit well into a structured data schema; the way these should be dealt with is to have such cases reviewed by a qualified information scientist, who decides on how to best represent that case into the schema that has previously been decided on (or, when appropriate, to recommend amending the schema). The schema itself should have been developed by a qualified committee of information scientists. There should be an established means to request expert review and to appeal the decision of the expert to a panel of experts, and a rule that establishes some degree of finality of such decisions. However, this would require that Wikipedia recognize that some people have expertise in such matters beyond that of the general public, and that the "wisdom of the crowds" is inapplicable to solving such problems.

Since Wikipedia is constitutionally incapable of establishing reasonable procedures for resolving such issues, they are instead resolved (when they are resolved at all) by people with no qualifications or competency, and who are often pushing agendas, which may be utterly petty, including having a hagiographic belief that their pet subject is simply "too distinctive" to fit into any schema whatsoever. Such people should have no significant role in such pursuits.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:Since Wikipedia is constitutionally incapable of establishing reasonable procedures for resolving such issues, they are instead resolved (when they are resolved at all) by people with no qualifications or competency, and who are often pushing agendas, which may be utterly petty, including having a hagiographic belief that their pet subject is simply "too distinctive" to fit into any schema whatsoever. Such people should have no significant role in such pursuits.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Hex wrote::welcome: fireflyfanboy.
Every argument against infoboxes is illegitimate.
Oh, no they aren't. Here are three very legitimate arguments against them:

1. Some infoboxes are too long, running 10 inches down a screen, clogging up the text and graphics with excessive information.

2. Some infoboxes include inappropriate information, such as "religion" or lack thereof for individuals for whom it is not necessary information, or the names of minor children.

3. Infoboxes are poorly constructed, with huge white space between the category heading and the information tidbit — a big tab break that crams text and needlessly breaks many text lines.

User boxes are generally helpful, but editorial judgment should be used as to whether or not they are used, and in what form.

RfB

Hex
Retired

Re: Editors preventing articles from having infoboxes

Unread post by Hex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Hex wrote: Every argument against infoboxes is illegitimate.
Oh, no they aren't. Here are three very legitimate arguments against them: [snip]
None of those are arguments against infoboxes. Those are arguments against poorly-designed or poorly-written infoboxes.

P.S. I've given this thread a broader title.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm

The infobox stuff is the classic Wikipedia intersection of "everything should conform to the exact standard!" and "this is *my* article, leave me the hell alone!" schools of thought. I see the value in each, and generally found sympathy with those local editors who agreed that an infobox wasn't worth having but had to have the same fight every time one of the first group blustered along. Wikipedia largely works best in smaller in-house consensus groups, and short of some clear policy violations should probably be deferred to (I believe I recall running across the Harry Potter wikiproject style guide once and finding that it advocated listcruft and big plot regurgitation and the like. Thankfully that was nuked and as a whole Wikipedia has far less of a fancruft issue these days.)

Gerda still treats the issue as The Biggest Facing Wikipedia with questions to ArbCom and admin candidates.

The strangest arguments to me were those of Andy/Pigs that every article *needed* inboxes because of his WikiData crusade.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Hex wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
I don't really see what's wrong with that - there are a lot of statistics associated with such a huge topic, and it makes sense having some of them gathered together in a box. Yes it's a long box - are you short of screen space? Does it prevent you from reading the body text? My knowledge of the combat is pretty limited, but just by glancing over the box I can get an idea of the combatant groups, key dates, casualty figures, etc. That's great.
Right, its the same reason why we put abstracts at the beginning of papers and forwards at the beginning of books. I do agree that the infoboxes need a lot more standardization and trimming. I do not agree that they should be eliminated. I think that having a good infobox with some basic information about the topic is just as important and in some cases more so, than the categories at the bottom.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:44 pm

I think we could all recall an example of a bad infobox, with too much data, or not enough, or irrelevant material. But the concept of providing a brief overview of the subject in a concise way is sound, and is expected by readers of Wikipedia in a biographical article. To carve out two exemptions based on the opinions of fans of the article subjects is just silly, but it is the kind of silly one comes to expect in Wikipeia arguments about article style.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:52 pm

thekohser wrote:
Just curious, do you understand the point of an abstract before a scholarly paper? Do you understand the point of a book cover? Do you understand the top section of a LinkedIn profile?
I would liken the abstract to the lead, not the infobox. Though one could argue that the introduction section corresponds to the lead...

To clarify, I don't have anything against infoboxes in general. I take a laissez faire attitude to them, and generally think it's no big deal. I just found the "result" field in infoboxes dealing with Israeli wars is a magnet for POV pushers/trolls/vandals, and in many cases, the actual uneasy consensus is "Israel claims victory, enemy claims victory" or "stalemate". I think the field should be left empty, which is really an argument against poorly used infoboxes rather than infoboxes in general. I don't have any special insight or knowledge into the broader question.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Kingsindian wrote:
thekohser wrote:
I would liken the abstract to the lead, not the infobox. Though one could argue that the introduction section corresponds to the lead...

To clarify, I don't have anything against infoboxes in general. I take a laissez faire attitude to them, and generally think it's no big deal. I just found the "result" field in infoboxes dealing with Israeli wars is a magnet for POV pushers/trolls/vandals, and in many cases, the actual uneasy consensus is "Israel claims victory, enemy claims victory" or "stalemate". I think the field should be left empty, which is really an argument against poorly used infoboxes rather than infoboxes in general. I don't have any special insight or knowledge into the broader question.
As someone who writes and reviews scads of informational documents, I'm a big fan of putting information in a tabular format. A summary is more for information that can't be put in a tabular format. By putting the infobox next to summary, you do away with the need to clutter the summary with data and the effectiveness of both formats is maximized.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Kingsindian wrote:I just found the "result" field in infoboxes dealing with Israeli wars is a magnet for POV pushers/trolls/vandals, and in many cases, the actual uneasy consensus is "Israel claims victory, enemy claims victory" or "stalemate". I think the field should be left empty, which is really an argument against poorly used infoboxes rather than infoboxes in general. I don't have any special insight or knowledge into the broader question.
The obvious solution in that instance is to put "disputed", preferably hotlinked to the section of the article that discusses the manner in which it is disputed.

A well-designed structured data schema would be able to encompass this situation. However, Wikipedia's infoboxes are rarely developed by people with experience in information science or informatics.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Hex wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Hex wrote: Every argument against infoboxes is illegitimate.
Oh, no they aren't. Here are three very legitimate arguments against them: [snip]
None of those are arguments against infoboxes. Those are arguments against poorly-designed or poorly-written infoboxes.

P.S. I've given this thread a broader title.
The lack of an infobox drives Mabbet wild with rage. The presence of an infobox drives others wild with rage. May a binding decision never never be made.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 pm

I created an infobox for regular tunings (T-H-L) for guitar. It seems useful.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

fireflyfanboy
Wikipedia User: fireflyfanboy

Unread post by fireflyfanboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Wow, I didn't expect this discussion to blow up the way it did. Thank you everyone for welcoming me and also for your contributions to the discussion, a lot of great points have been made.

I think one of the things that is most frustrating in the cases of the Pound/Joyce articles is that I agree that there are some issues that an Infobox wouldn't be able to properly summarize in the case of Pound, but then someone created a perfectly fine infobox that addressed those very issues. (You can check it out at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... ed_infobox

At this point, the people arguing that Pound doesn't need one just seem obstructionist as Congress in light of a perfectly serviceable infobox being created solely for the purpose of addressing the issues they are said to have had with it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:31 pm

This is a wonderful illustration in miniature of many things that are wrong with Wikipedia, and why it is essential to have proper editors to have control of the "editors". As long as the philosophy of "the crowd is always right", "let's seek consensus" and "experts are not wanted" prevails, good articles will only emerge by accident.

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:35 pm

fireflyfanboy wrote:Wow, I didn't expect this discussion to blow up the way it did. Thank you everyone for welcoming me and also for your contributions to the discussion, a lot of great points have been made.

I think one of the things that is most frustrating in the cases of the Pound/Joyce articles is that I agree that there are some issues that an Infobox wouldn't be able to properly summarize in the case of Pound, but then someone created a perfectly fine infobox that addressed those very issues. (You can check it out at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ezra ... ed_infobox

At this point, the people arguing that Pound doesn't need one just seem obstructionist as Congress in light of a perfectly serviceable infobox being created solely for the purpose of addressing the issues they are said to have had with it.
fireflyfanboy, I have found the best way to get around obstructionism by a bunch of people owning the article is to open an RfC with a simple, straightforward question. Keep it short and sweet and binary. It's not perfect, but works more often that you'd think.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Kingsindian wrote:
fireflyfanboy wrote:Wow, I didn't expect this discussion to blow up the way it did. Thank you everyone for welcoming me and also for your contributions to the discussion, a lot of great points have been made.

fireflyfanboy, I have found the best way to get around obstructionism by a bunch of people owning the article is to open an RfC with a simple, straightforward question. Keep it short and sweet and binary. It's not perfect, but works more often that you'd think.
It works for a while, but then they just bide their time and reopen the issue. Really, we need a system like Kelly Martin outlined so that we don't have to rehash the issue time and time again.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:The infobox stuff is the classic Wikipedia intersection of "everything should conform to the exact standard!" and "this is *my* article, leave me the hell alone!" schools of thought. I see the value in each, and generally found sympathy with those local editors who agreed that an infobox wasn't worth having but had to have the same fight every time one of the first group blustered along. Wikipedia largely works best in smaller in-house consensus groups, and short of some clear policy violations should probably be deferred to (I believe I recall running across the Harry Potter wikiproject style guide once and finding that it advocated listcruft and big plot regurgitation and the like. Thankfully that was nuked and as a whole Wikipedia has far less of a fancruft issue these days.)

Gerda still treats the issue as The Biggest Facing Wikipedia with questions to ArbCom and admin candidates.

The strangest arguments to me were those of Andy/Pigs that every article *needed* inboxes because of his WikiData crusade.
That's what is driving this to some extent: the desire to make everything Google-friendly...

I've done articles with info boxes and I've done articles without infoboxes. I use them more often than not, but they're not always helpful. Is an info box about, let's say Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway really a helpful thing to anyone but Google? Could not the same basic information be imparted more stylishly and tastefully with a large picture of a dust jacket and long, well-written caption?

Ah, but that's not Google friendly!!! And, oh, my oh my, that makes the articles look less homogeneous...

Editorial judgment is important. Anyone that says "all articles must have info boxes" or "no article should have an info box" are simply being dogmatic.

And yes, Hex, the info boxes are frequently poorly designed, overly long, and a net negative to imparting information.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Any serious large-scale reference work, whether the Encyclopaedia Britannica or the Gmelins Handbuch, has editors who try to have as much uniformity as is consistent with being a good reference work. The great failure of Wikipedia is that it has no such system.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:27 am

Ah, the infobox war. One of Wikipedia's longest-standing time sinks. It reflects how utterly useless Wikipedia's system is at determining things like consistent style. Long story short, they should be everywhere or nowhere as a matter of editorial style. Personally, I like them. But I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't exist so long as this style rule was applied consistently.

The current situation is that each and every article is a potential battlefield over such idiotic trifles as whether or not to have an infobox, and those who dislike them have become REALLY good at circling the wagons and forming WP:OWN cliques.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:47 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:Ah, the infobox war. One of Wikipedia's longest-standing time sinks. It reflects how utterly useless Wikipedia's system is at determining things like consistent style. Long story short, they should be everywhere or nowhere as a matter of editorial style. Personally, I like them. But I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't exist so long as this style rule was applied consistently.

The current situation is that each and every article is a potential battlefield over such idiotic trifles as whether or not to have an infobox, and those who dislike them have become REALLY good at circling the wagons and forming WP:OWN cliques.
Yep, nothing but a time sink. As a great example of the battleground behavior and article ownership in action on the topic of infoboxes, just look at Ian Fleming (T-H-L). Not only is there no infobox, they even added a history statement at the top of the article about not having one which directs people to look at the talk page. Like anyone is going to bother with that!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:54 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:Ah, the infobox war. One of Wikipedia's longest-standing time sinks. It reflects how utterly useless Wikipedia's system is at determining things like consistent style. Long story short, they should be everywhere or nowhere as a matter of editorial style. Personally, I like them. But I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't exist so long as this style rule was applied consistently.

I don't know if every article should have an infobox. On a stub of only a few lines, it would usually be pointless. Maybe one is normally needed on every article of a certain length, say more than half of an A4 page.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Poetlister wrote:

I don't know if every article should have an infobox. On a stub of only a few lines, it would usually be pointless. Maybe one is normally needed on every article of a certain length, say more than half of an A4 page.
Or maybe the stub should consist of the infobox and the lead. Put the tabular data in the infobox, with the lead basically providing rationale for why the subject is notable.

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Not all articles need infoboxes. Click 'Random article' many times and see how many articles have infoboxes and how many don't (but should at some point) and how many are not suitable for infoboxes. General overview articles for a topic area don't need infoboxes. Those are a different sort of article - more covering a concept than a specific object, event or person that can have data associated with it.

Physics (T-H-L)
Hegelianism (T-H-L)

And so on. This makes anyone who says "all articles should have infoboxes" just look silly. Topic articles often have a sidebox helping with navigation of the topic.

I agree about stubs. Someone putting an infobox on a stub is failing to prioritise. It would be much better if the article was expanded and actually written before the other 'style' elements are attended to.

Also, some types of articles (with lots of data) are more amenable to a well-designed infobox being produced and used (e.g. settlements, chemical elements, planets, and so on). There is a spectrum from that all the way to articles where infoboxes are less useful and sometimes end up being distracting.

Biographical articles are a subset that have their own rules and styles. They make up a massive proportion (around 25%) of the English Wikipedia. A well-written biographical article will integrate the data into the article text. An infobox really can distort and oversimplify complex matters. In those cases (which the editors familiar with an article, rather than the drive-by editors who add infoboxes, will understand the nuances involved), it would be best to have a template that outputs the data needed (for re-users and Wikidata and so on), but to have a display option that is different (e.g. below the lead image, a link to a 'tabular summary of the article', which would be placed elsewhere but still be findable by bots for example).

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:15 pm

I didn't see anyone mention it above, so I will...when you (or at least, I) open a Wikipedia page on my IPhone, the infobox fills the entire screen at the top. It gives me a quick summary of key facts- birthdates, birthplace, nationality, etc. So, infoboxes are important since so many people now look at the Internet from their mobile devices. Also, Google appears to use the WP infoboxes as the base for their own infoboxes that appear on the right side in Google searches.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:54 pm

The German Wikipedia doesn't really use infoboxes so it's not a fair comparison. They just use an Image with a caption.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Do you think maybe Google paid the Germans to stop doing infoboxes, so that Google's Knowledge Graphs wouldn't get polluted with German language data?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I think the Germans have a 'person data' database somewhere. Not sure if it got folded into Wikidata, but click on 'Wikipedia-Personensuche' at the bottom of German biographical articles and you in theory get something provided by wmf labs, but I gave up waiting for it to load.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Carcharoth wrote:I think the Germans have a 'person data' database somewhere. Not sure if it got folded into Wikidata, but click on 'Wikipedia-Personensuche' at the bottom of German biographical articles and you in theory get something provided by wmf labs, but I gave up waiting for it to load.
If you wait for it to load (and it does take a while!), this is what it looks like:

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Yep, not an infobox and not particularly useful for a "quick glance" type functionality for people who don't want too or don't need to read the entire article for basic information.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Carcharoth wrote:Not all articles need infoboxes.
True, and I can see how my comments earlier could be interpreted as saying that. I should have said that "arguments against infoboxes in article types that have them as standard are illegitimate".
Carcharoth wrote:Topic articles often have a sidebox helping with navigation of the topic.
Something that I've thought for a very long time - I seem to recall last expressing it in a thread discussing the problems with mathematics articles on Wikipedia - is that articles would benefit hugely from having sidebars for summarizing and explaining component topics. Factual magazines have had them for decades and it's part of what makes reading something like Scientific American a lot more pleasant than Wikipedia.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Hex wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:Topic articles often have a sidebox helping with navigation of the topic.
Something that I've thought for a very long time - I seem to recall last expressing it in a thread discussing the problems with mathematics articles on Wikipedia - is that articles would benefit hugely from having sidebars for summarizing and explaining component topics. Factual magazines have had them for decades and it's part of what makes reading something like Scientific American a lot more pleasant than Wikipedia.
Innovations like that can sometimes take off, but have to be easy to implement in wikicode and unless they are brought in early in the history of the website can struggle to get traction (trying to change basic style across millions of articles after 15+ years is a bit of a thankless task). [*]

If infoboxes had not been thought of until now, it would take an immense effort to put them in all articles. I once suggested going through all the biographical articles to add a gender flag (not necessarily visible, but for the benefit of database generators and so on), but I don't think that was ever done. The ODNB has stats for how many of their articles are about men and how many are about women (I know other genders and types exist, but bear with me), and I always thought it strange that Wikipedia was unable to do this. I think Wikidata (using data from other databases and from other language Wikipedias) tries to track gender for biographical articles.

[*] Having said that, I think big changes were made without much discussion to reference styles and templates, and generated lots of 'red' error messages on articles. That was helpfully (sometimes only 'helpfully') pointing out missing parts of references or mistakes made in filling in templates. The whole process of slowly, bot-assisted, polishing up and cleaning the Wikipedia data, is a bit like sculpting sand with the tide coming in and out around you - or in more stable areas, like pruning and shaping trees (probably enough with the strained analogies).

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Well the gender flag should be available for most in Wikidata now so in theory it would be a fairly easy thing to do.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Could some kind soul work out (or suggest the best place to ask) where to generate or find stats on gender of the subjects of biographical articles in Wikipedia (using the Wikidata gender data). The articles in the "Living people" category would be a good place to start (failing that, the birth and death year categories are good approximation for biographical articles).

(Yes, there is still no unified single category for all biographical articles.)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Carcharoth wrote: Innovations like that can sometimes take off, but have to be easy to implement in wikicode and unless they are brought in early in the history of the website can struggle to get traction (trying to change basic style across millions of articles after 15+ years is a bit of a thankless task).
Trying to get approval for any innovation is the most thankless task of all. The village pump is where good ideas go to die.... There are plenty of text container box things already (I have to keep a list of some of them just to remember), so I don't think there would be a technical issue. It would really be a case of getting them enshrined in some policy or style guide in order to be able to do it at all. But that prospect fills me with dread. If I was really going to push for it - which I'm not - I'd try and recruit some people to produce parallel versions of some long, heavy articles to show off how they could be made more accessible with sidebars, and hopefully gain some traction for the idea. Sadly, I don't have the time for that battle. Or many others on WP, to be honest.
Carcharoth wrote: I think big changes were made without much discussion to reference styles and templates, and generated lots of 'red' error messages on articles. That was helpfully (sometimes only 'helpfully') pointing out missing parts of references or mistakes made in filling in templates. The whole process of slowly, bot-assisted, polishing up and cleaning the Wikipedia data, is a bit like sculpting sand with the tide coming in and out around you - or in more stable areas, like pruning and shaping trees (probably enough with the strained analogies).
Don't you mean... "arborsculpture"??? *flees*

But, yeah. Wikid77 posted an interesting thing on Jimbotalk about that the other day (archived here) which told me something that I didn't know. The French Wikipedia's citation templates just handle a lot of errors when they render, instead of highlighting them. I can see the arguments for both approaches, but only one of them makes life easier for the reader.