Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Lila Tretikov: "Why We've Changed"

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:16 pm

WMF Executive Director Lila Tretiakova [Tretikov] has issued a major Vision Statement Thing, published it to the Wikimedia-l list, where it has attracted extensive commentary. While this touches upon several previous threads (including those upon the recent spate of staffers quitting, the Knowledge Engine kerfuffle, indirectly the Doc James Heilman Affair) this statement marks a turning point of sorts for WMF — the first time that the ED has placed her cards upon the table, revealing the intent of her major makeover of WMF.

Criticism has largely concentrated thus far upon the self-serving nature and tone-deafness to the Wikipedia movement of the declaration.

This pretty clearly needs to stand alone as its own thread; whether it ends in LT's departure or yet another vote of confidence in her by Jimmy Wales and his Board of Trustees remains to be seen.

Here is Tretiakova's statement in its entirety:
On Feb. 22, 2016, on the Wikimedia-l mailing list Lila Tretikov wrote: Why we’ve changed

I want to address some of the many questions that are coming up in this forum. From the general to the very concrete, they all touch on the fact that many things about the WMF have been changing. We are in the thick of transformation, and you all have the right to know more about how and why this is occurring. This is not a statement of strategy, which will come out of the community consultation next week. This is the ED’s perspective only.

After 15 years since the birth of Wikipedia, the WMF needs to rethink itself to ensure our editor work expands into the next decade. Recently we kicked-off some initiatives to this end, including aligning community support functions, focus on mobile and innovative technology, seeding the Wikimedia Endowment, re-organizing our internal structure, exploring partnerships and focusing on the most critical aspects of our mission: community and technology. We started this transformation, but as we move forward we are facing a crisis that is rooted in our choice of direction.

The choice in front the WMF is that of our core identity. Our mission can be served in many ways, but we cannot do them all. We could either fully focus on building our content and educational programs. Or we can get great at technology as the force multiplier for our movement. I believe the the former belongs to our volunteers and affiliates and that the role of the WMF is in providing global support and coordination of this work. I believe in -- and the board hired me to -- focus on the latter. To transform our organization into a high-tech NGO, focused on the needs of our editors and readers and rapidly moving to update our aged technology to support those needs. To this end we have made many significant changes. But the challenge in front of us is hard to underestimate: technology moves faster than any other field and meeting expectations of editors and readers will require undistracted focus.

What changed?

When Jimmy started Wikipedia, the early editors took a century-old encyclopedia page and allowed anyone to create or edit its content. At the time when creating knowledge was still limited to the chosen few, openly collaborating online gave us power to create and update knowledge at a much faster rate than anyone else. This was our innovation.

As we matured, we encountered two fundamental, existential challenges. One is of our own doing: driving away those who would otherwise join our mission through complex policies, confusing user experiences, and a caustic community culture. The other is external and is emerging from our own value of freely licensed content: Many companies copy our knowledge into their own databases and present it inside their interfaces. While this supports wider dissemination, it also separates our readers from our community. Wikipedia is more than the raw content, repurposed by anyone as they like. It is a platform for knowledge and learning, but if we don't meet the needs of users, we will lose them and ultimately fail in our mission.

Meanwhile, in the last 15 years revolutionary changes have taken hold. The rate of knowledge creation around the world is unprecedented and is increasing exponentially <http://qpmf.com/the-book/welcome-to-hyper-innovation/>. User interfaces are becoming more adaptive to how users learn. This means we have a huge opportunity to accelerate human understanding. But to do so requires some significant change in technology and community interaction.

So let’s begin with technology: Many at the WMF and in our community believe that we should not be a high-tech organization. I believe we should. With over half of our staff fully committed to delivering product and technology, it is already our primary vehicle for impacting our mission and our community. In fact we constantly see additional technology needs emerging from our Community department to help amplify theirs and our community work.

What do we need to do in light of the changes I described above? We need to focus on increasing productivity of our editors and bringing more readers
to Wikipedia (directly on mobile, and from 3rd party reusers back to our sites).

When we started, the open knowledge on Wikipedia was a large piece of the internet. Today, we have an opportunity to be the door into the whole ecosystem of open knowledge by:

• scaling knowledge (by building smart editing tools that structurally connect open sources)
• expanding the entry point to knowledge (by improving our search portal)

There are many ways to alleviate the manual burdens of compiling and maintaining knowledge currently taken on by our editing community, while quickly expanding new editing. We made significant strides this year with our first steps to leverage artificial intelligence <http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/30/ar ... ray-specs/> to remove grunt work from editing. But that is just a start. Connecting sources through structured data would go much further and allow our editors to easily choose the best media for their article and for our readers to recieve content at their depth of understanding or language comprehension.

Wikipedia is the trusted place where people learn. Early indicators show that if we choose to improve the search function more people will use our site. We are seeing early results in use of Wikipedia in our A/B testing of search <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... l_Test.pdf>, but we have a long way to go. We want people to come directly to our sites -- and be known as the destination for learning -- so that eventually we can bring our readers into our editing community. And without community support none of this will be remotely possible.

Which brings me to the community. Over time the WMF has grown, with an opportunity of becoming a complementary, mutually empowering partner with the community. We need each other and we share one focus: humanity. Reaching and sharing with people across the world is our common goal.

In the past year we managed -- for the first time since 2007 -- to finally stem the editor decline. But that will not be enough. We need to find ways to re-open and embrace new members instead of the hazing we conduct at least in some parts of the site today. We must treat each other with kindness and respect. Technology is not the main reasons for rampant new editor attrition. It is how we talk to each other that makes all the difference.

Without tackling these issues we artificially limit our growth and scalability. And we will continue to reject those whose ideas are new or different, the most vulnerable members of our community. In this, the Gender Gap is the “canary in the coal mine”. Women are the first to leave contentious and aggressive environments and are less likely to remain when they encounter it. They are less likely to run in elections because of rude and aggressive treatment. Yet in editor surveys and in our latest strategy consultation, Gender Gap has been considered a low priority. I disagree.

Over the past two years I have actively pushed funding to improve anti-harassment, child protection and safety programs; work in these areas is ongoing. We are actively exploring some tangible approaches that -- I hope -- will turn into concrete outcomes <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Harassment_workshop>. In the latest research this year the number of female editors shown some growth.

What does this mean for the WMF?

In the past 18 months -- and thanks to hard work of the people at the WMF and our community supporters -- we have made significant structural changes. We have organized around two core areas: technology and community. We have made changes with an eye on improving our relationships between the volunteer community, the chapters and the WMF, including the creation of structures that should vastly improve the WMF's responsiveness to volunteers. We began adopting best industry practices in the organization, such as setting and measuring goals and KPIs. We’ve given managers a lot of responsibilities and demanded results. We’ve asked for adjustment in attitude towards work, our responsibilities and professional relationships. We prioritised impact and performance so that we can provide more value to our communities and the world.

This has not been easy.

In practice this means I demanded that we set standards for staff communication with our community to be professional and respectful. It meant transitioning people, shutting down pet projects, promoting some but not others, demanding goals and results to get funding. This level of change is necessary to set up our organization to address the challenges of the next decade.

All of this means stepping away from our comfort zones to create capacity for building programs and technologies that will support us in the future. It is a demanding and difficult task to perform an organizational change at this scale and speed.

I believe that in order to successfully serve our community and humanity, the WMF has deliver best-of class technology and professional support for community. This will ensure we are delivering significant impact to volunteer editors and opening avenues for new types of contributions. This requires that we choose the route of technical excellence for the WMF with support and encouragement from our community partners. Without this empowerment, the WMF will not succeed.

The world is not standing still. It will not wait for us to finish our internal battles and struggles. Time is our most precious commodity.

Lila
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82145.html[/link]

I'll leave that there for now. I do have thoughts on this.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Re: Lila Tretikov: "Why We've Changed"

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:29 pm

The most important opposition from WMF staff as come through Brion Vibber, who wrote to the Wikimedia-l list...
On Feb. 22, 2016, on the Wikimedia-l list Brion Vibber wrote:Lila, a few notes.

First, many staff members feel that the accomplishments you claim under "we" are not attributable to you.

Complaints about lack of strategy and confusing management have come from all levels of the staff; the implication that people who failed to be promoted might be behind discontent seems not to hold water.

As to shutting down pet projects to improve focus, it's unclear what projects you refer to.

Fundamentally we agree that we must improve tech. But the tech side of the organization, based on my conversations with other employees including managers, does not seem to have benefited from your tenure -- ops laregely manages itself, while the other sections get occasionally surprised by a reorg. We've still not fully recovered from the 2015 reorg and Damon's appearance and disappearance.

If your contention is that tech supports you as a silent majority, I have strong doubts that this is the case.

-- brion
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82150.html[/link]

Prodded to say more, Vibber continued...
Brion Vibber wrote:I'd say these would help a lot:

* articulate a vision for her leadership term that is aligned with the stated mission of the Wikimedia Foundation
* communicate with staff to understand what we do for the mission & what we believe we can do further, and to help us maximize our ability to achieve great things
* foster a positive, creative work environment where staff can do that without burning out
* communicate with our broader community of editors, volunteers, chapter organizers, readers, educators, developers, students, photographers, videographers, copyeditors, researchers, etc about what they need to maximize their contributions to the mission and how Wikimedia Foundation and its staff can help achieve that

I don't believe these have been achieved during Lila's tenure.

This thread is the closest to a leadership vision that I've seen, and it comes after months of private complaints, some intervention from the board, an employee engagement survey that indicated very low confidence in senior leadership's ability to convey a strategy, and finally weeks of open complaints from staff that communication is bad, morale is bad, and strategy is missing. We've seen some public strategy consultation, but that's been recent (after the November board meeting) and there remain concerns as to how open and consultative the process is.

As for the work environment, I believe I've made clear that I don't think it's super great, and we're losing valuable staff rapidly due to that and will likely continue to lose more.

I'm glad that some people outside the organization reportedly feel that communication between them and the Foundation has improved, but internally many staff do not feel they have been communicated with clearly. We've spent so long talking about things like the 'Knowledge Engine' project origins because we never got straightforward answers about what direction things were moving in...

-- brion
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82180.html[/link] (emphasis added)

This perspective has been heralded by several people as representative of mainstream thinking of those who work under Ms. Tretiakova.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Another key reply came from our friend Erik Möller, former WMF Deputy Director, he of SuperProtect infamy, who wrote to the list...
On Feb. 22, 2016, on the Wikimedia-l mailing list, Erik Möller wrote:Hi Lila,

Thanks for the message. I won't go into this and the other aspects of the current situation in detail -- I think this is an important conversation primarily with current staff and active community members --, but I'll respond to a couple points that I think are important, and for which I can provide some historical perspective.

>>> In the past year we managed -- for the first time since 2007 -- to finally stem the editor decline.

This is a pretty powerful statement! As many folks know, "stemming the editor decline" was long a top organizational priority, due to research that showed an increasing tendency for new editors to encounter barriers, such as the Editor Trends Study, summarized here: linkhttps://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Trends_Study[/link] [for Editor Trends Study]

Many will remember the graph illustrating this study, which specifically underscores that new editors' 1-year retention decreasing dramatically during Wikipedia's most rapid growth, and remained low since then.

linkhttps://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fil ... ditors.png[/link]

As a consequence, an important number to pay attention to when characterizing the editor decline is the number of new editors who successfully join the project. Has that number increased or stabilized?

It has not, as far as I can tell: linkhttps://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm[/link]

Note in interpreting all data that January is a seasonal recovery month in editor statistics.

One number to look at here is "New editors", which is the number of editors who have crossed the threshold of 10 edits in a given month. For all Wikipedias combined, this number has been in the 12000-13000s for the last 6 months. Near as I can tell, the last time it has hovered around or below those levels for this long was a decade ago, in December 2005. The more modern metric of "new editor activation" (which does not seem to have the same level of data-completeness) appears to show similar troubling signs: linkhttps://vital-signs.wmflabs.org/#projec ... tiveEditor[/link]

Another key metric we paid attention to is the "Active Editors" number, which has stagnated for a long time; it appears to continue to do so with no recovery. The most complete visualization I was able to find is still the one we created years ago, here: linkhttps://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors[/link]

Finally, there's the measure of "very active editors". These are folks who make 100 edits/month, and one could also call this the "core community". It's a measure less affected by new user barriers, and more by the effectiveness of existing editing/curation tools. This is one metric which does indeed show a positive trend, as was noted here: linkhttps://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/09/25/w ... r-numbers/[/link]

This graph focuses on English Wikipedia; this table contains the numbers for all languages combined, in the "Very active editors" column: linkhttps://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm[/link]

The numbers for "very active editors" appear to have stabilized at a slightly higher level than previously. I can't find any firm conclusion on what has caused this in Wikimedia's public communications, but the HHVM rollout, long-planned and implemented in December 2014 under Ori Livneh's leadership seems like a plausible hypothesis: linkhttps://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/12/29/h ... e-as-fast/[/link]

It seems reasonable to assume that very active editors would most benefit from performance improvements.

One very positive trend is the Content Translation tool, and its impact on new article creation, especially in combination with targeted calls to action, as detailed here: linkhttps://cs.stanford.edu/people/jure/pub ... -www16.pdf[/link]

But overall, it seems premature of speaking of "stemming the decline", unless I'm missing something (entirely possible). I don't mean to be negative about it -- I do think it's a super-important problem, and hence important to be clear and precise about where we are in addressing it.

>>> In practice this means I demanded that we set standards for staff communication with our community to be professional and respectful. It meant transitioning people, shutting down pet projects

Like Brion, I'm also curious what this ("pet projects") refers to. With regard to tech, I'm not aware of any major projects that were shut down. I read that major feature development on Flow was suspended, but active maintenance work to support an active trial (launched after said announcement) on user talk pages is ongoing, as far as I can tell: linkhttps://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/Flow ... merged,n,z[/link]

To be clear, the course of action taken here -- to evaluate a controversial tool for a specific use case, and see how it fares -- seems completely reasonable to me. I'm just curious if that's what you're referring to, though, or if there are other examples, perhaps outside engineering, you have in mind?

Erik
RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Evidence that the spate of departures during Lila's regime seems to have surpassed acceptable parameters and to have become dysfunctional is provided by former community-elected WMF Board of Trustees member Phoebe Ayers, who wrote to the list...
On Feb. 22, 2016, on the Wikimedia-l mailing list, Phoebe Ayers wrote:
>>Per: George Herbert: Lila's vision here clearly calls the change campaign out as having explicitly intended to break eggs. It further suggests strongly that this was the Board of Trustees' intention in hiring her, and that they agreed with breaking those eggs.

Since you bring it up, and ask for the perspective of past trustees -- as one of the people who helped hired Lila, I did so because I found much of how she thought about technology, contribution and open knowledge compelling -- some of which is stated in her mail above -- and I hoped that she'd have the right combination of openness and boldness to help lead us. I also thought she had the right foundation of skills and values to do the work in our weird, complex environment.

The Board's initial task for her, as it might have been for any new ED, was to learn the organization, continue with the usual running of the organization, and to work with us and Wikimedia as a whole to develop a strategy for the future. We expected and supported her focusing on technology, given what a big piece of the organization this is and her own background; and we supported explorations into the organization's culture and how it could improve.

I've heard a few conspiracy theories about how the board must have intended to clean house with Lila's hire. From my perspective, that was not the case. We hoped of course that Lila would help the organization improve -- but I am thinking of improvements like speeding up development and reducing drama around software rollouts, goals that I don't think would either come as a surprise to anyone or are particularly controversial.

That does not mean I was surprised that some staff left, especially in the first few months after she was hired. People do leave in a leadership transition, for many reasons. And I also was not surprised by the possibility that Lila might create a different style of working environment at the Foundation, which would lead others to leave later. I am surprised and saddened however by this current crisis (and the last few months leading up to it). According to many people, things seem to have gone quite badly in terms of communication, giving guidance and developing organizational consensus around strategy. Those problems are general problems of execution and management, and that is deeply unfortunate.

best,
Phoebe
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82221.html[/link]

RfB

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:57 pm

It's absolutely certain that Moeller's posting is a bid to reinject himself into the leadership hierarchy, preferably at the top.

Brion's comments are far more interesting. Brion is a fundamentally very loyal and dutiful individual; for him to openly speak out against his superiors is an indication of just how bad things have gotten.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:It's absolutely certain that Moeller's posting is a bid to reinject himself into the leadership hierarchy, preferably at the top.

Brion's comments are far more interesting. Brion is a fundamentally very loyal and dutiful individual; for him to openly speak out against his superiors is an indication of just how bad things have gotten.
I wonder if everyone here understands just how awesome it would be for the 'hasten the day' faction if the Mo:leMan were to be made ED.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Drijfzand
Critic

Unread post by Drijfzand » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Why are Tretikov and Möller even discussing editor retention, something that depends mainly on the community, not on actions by the WMF?
Tweaker in Metropolis

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Drijfzand wrote:Why are Tretikov and Möller even discussing editor retention, something that depends mainly on the community, not on actions by the WMF?
Probably because editor retention was a "touchpoint" that was "surfaced" by a "community engagement exercise".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:It's absolutely certain that Moeller's posting is a bid to reinject himself into the leadership hierarchy, preferably at the top.

I wonder if everyone here understands just how awesome it would be for the 'hasten the day' faction if the Mo:leMan were to be made ED.
"hasten the day" has already arrived.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Drijfzand wrote:Why are Tretikov and Möller even discussing editor retention, something that depends mainly on the community, not on actions by the WMF?
Surely VE was supposed to be about editor recruitment and retention. That it was a fiasco is irrelevant.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:31 am

I think that Ms. Tretiakova taking credit for the Very Active Editor count is akin to the President taking credit for the unemployment rate or the price of gasoline. Maybe there is some very vague policy influence, but these things are the product of large natural forces and "it is what it is." Certainly a Visual Editor crap fiesta that generates something like 4% of total edits on En-WP can't be credited for much more than being a waste of donor money...

I don't trust Lila and I definitely am feeling the staffers who want her gone. I think she will be out the door within six months, although it's possible that we'll see some sort of 2-for-1 split in which Ms. Tretiakova heads up engineering and some political personage takes over the volunteer-facing aspect of the job as "co-director."

Is Sue Gardner still on the payroll? She actually did a tolerably good job as a public face of WMF. As a chief of engineering hires, not so much...

RfB

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 am

She's spot on about the hazing. But from their cold dead hands will she pry the bits. I'll buy her a crowbar.

Drijfzand
Critic

Unread post by Drijfzand » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:58 am

Poetlister wrote:
Surely VE was supposed to be about editor recruitment and retention. That it was a fiasco is irrelevant.
That would depend on how they measure retention; if they include people who quit after 5 edits, ok; if they look at editors who quit after a year or more, difficulty using the interface wouldn't be a factor I think...
Tweaker in Metropolis

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 am

The timing of this interview with Bill Sobel probably couldn't be worse.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:13 pm

As I understand it, "Why We've Changed" was written over the weekend to position LT prior to this week's WMF Board meeting. The primary intended audience is the Community, but it has drawn some blowback from staff members who were upset with the "I am on the Community's side" theme.

Does anyone have any gossip, intelligence or observations of chimney smoke as to what happened at the WMF Board meeting?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:54 pm

eagle wrote:As I understand it, "Why We've Changed" was written over the weekend to position LT prior to this week's WMF Board meeting. The primary intended audience is the Community, but it has drawn some blowback from staff members who were upset with the "I am on the Community's side" theme.
This seems like a decent political reading of the document. Not sure whether there's a meeting called with the ED at the top of the agenda, but if there is such a thing in the works, this would all make good sense.

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:The most important opposition from WMF staff as come through Brion Vibber, who wrote to the Wikimedia-l list...
On Feb. 22, 2016, on the Wikimedia-l list Brion Vibber wrote:Lila, a few notes.

First, many staff members feel that the accomplishments you claim under "we" are not attributable to you.

Complaints about lack of strategy and confusing management have come from all levels of the staff; the implication that people who failed to be promoted might be behind discontent seems not to hold water.

As to shutting down pet projects to improve focus, it's unclear what projects you refer to.

Fundamentally we agree that we must improve tech. But the tech side of the organization, based on my conversations with other employees including managers, does not seem to have benefited from your tenure -- ops laregely manages itself, while the other sections get occasionally surprised by a reorg. We've still not fully recovered from the 2015 reorg and Damon's appearance and disappearance.

If your contention is that tech supports you as a silent majority, I have strong doubts that this is the case.

-- brion
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82150.html[/link]

Prodded to say more, Vibber continued...
Brion Vibber wrote:I'd say these would help a lot:

* articulate a vision for her leadership term that is aligned with the stated mission of the Wikimedia Foundation
* communicate with staff to understand what we do for the mission & what we believe we can do further, and to help us maximize our ability to achieve great things
* foster a positive, creative work environment where staff can do that without burning out
* communicate with our broader community of editors, volunteers, chapter organizers, readers, educators, developers, students, photographers, videographers, copyeditors, researchers, etc about what they need to maximize their contributions to the mission and how Wikimedia Foundation and its staff can help achieve that

I don't believe these have been achieved during Lila's tenure.

This thread is the closest to a leadership vision that I've seen, and it comes after months of private complaints, some intervention from the board, an employee engagement survey that indicated very low confidence in senior leadership's ability to convey a strategy, and finally weeks of open complaints from staff that communication is bad, morale is bad, and strategy is missing. We've seen some public strategy consultation, but that's been recent (after the November board meeting) and there remain concerns as to how open and consultative the process is.

As for the work environment, I believe I've made clear that I don't think it's super great, and we're losing valuable staff rapidly due to that and will likely continue to lose more.

I'm glad that some people outside the organization reportedly feel that communication between them and the Foundation has improved, but internally many staff do not feel they have been communicated with clearly. We've spent so long talking about things like the 'Knowledge Engine' project origins because we never got straightforward answers about what direction things were moving in...

-- brion
linkhttps://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 82180.html[/link] (emphasis added)

This perspective has been heralded by several people as representative of mainstroeam thinking of those who work under Ms. Tretiakova.

RfB
I don't want to get too conspiratorial here, but perhaps the lack of strategic vision or communication is a feature, not a bug. If the aim were to get rid of a number of the current staffers, one strategy would be to demand people to meet expectations they couldn't understand.

My feeling from the email is that, more than ever, the WMF thinks of itself as a tech company and perhaps Lila does not like the current tech employees because they are incompetent. Any benefit to the "community" from the recent shakeup is strictly incidental, and it is doubtful how much Lila had to do with it anyway.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Kingsindian wrote: I don't want to get too conspiratorial here, but perhaps the lack of strategic vision or communication is a feature, not a bug. If the aim were to get rid of a number of the current staffers, one strategy would be to demand people to meet expectations they couldn't understand.

Like competence?
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Oh, just caught this gem amidst the wall of text at Jimbotalk... An implicit vote of confidence in the ED from the Boss of the Board For Life:
On Feb. 15, 2016, on his talk page, Jimmy Wales wrote: We'll just have to disagree about [dismissive comments about] Flow, as it isn't relevant at the moment and so not worth a big discussion. I'm not sure what you think is a travesty about the community building resources to help engineers understand our needs. What's a travesty is that there hasn't been traditionally a lot more of it, and a lot more investment by the Foundation in supporting more things like it. I'm glad that Lila is building a real product and engineering organization so that we can bridge this gulf.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 3:14 pm, 15 February 2016, Monday (UTC−8)
linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =705173692[/link]

RfB

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Jimbo is a leaf who follows the wind. This tells us which way it is blowing.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Zoloft wrote:Jimbo is a leaf who follows the wind. This tells us which way it is blowing.
I think you mean he's a magical leaf that floats against the wind.

E.g., "In Kazakhstan, there is a great group of volunteer editors - just like you - who are working in a non-political way with their own government to transition an older encyclopedia into Wikipedia, as well as to recruit quality volunteers. Like many people, I have concerns about potential problems, but so far I have been pleased with what I have seen."

E.g., "I regard it as a pseudonym and I don’t really have a problem with it."

E.g., "CiviliNation fosters an online culture in which individuals can fully engage and contribute without fear or threat of being the target of unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies."

So, it would appear that Lila may be doomed at the Wikimedia Foundation.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:16 am

thekohser wrote:
Zoloft wrote:Jimbo is a leaf who follows the wind. This tells us which way it is blowing.
I think you mean he's a magical leaf that floats against the wind.

E.g., "In Kazakhstan, there is a great group of volunteer editors - just like you - who are working in a non-political way with their own government to transition an older encyclopedia into Wikipedia, as well as to recruit quality volunteers. Like many people, I have concerns about potential problems, but so far I have been pleased with what I have seen."

E.g., "I regard it as a pseudonym and I don’t really have a problem with it."

E.g., "CiviliNation fosters an online culture in which individuals can fully engage and contribute without fear or threat of being the target of unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies."

So, it would appear that Lila may be doomed at the Wikimedia Foundation.
I have to agree with Greg here.
Jimmy Wales is the supreme contraindicator.
That wikipedia survived in spite of his involvement shows you what a good idea it was.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 am

The reason why Presidential addresses from the Oval Office are so powerful is that the President is a skilled oral communicator and he is surrounded by the trappings of power. It is unfortunate that "Why We've Changed" was delivered in text form. If I were LT, I would have videotaped an oral delivery of the speech (and done repeated takes until I got a flawless performance.) I would then post the video to YouTube and post the link to various discussion and user talk pages.

Given the nerditude of the WMF staff, it is not surprising that they are finely parsing each line of the "Why We've Changed" text. However, posting a video with tone of voice and facial expressions could negate a lot of inferences that her critics are drawing from the "Why We've Changed" text. The primary crime that LT must defend against is being a poor communicator. Distributing a video showing her sincere and posed would do much to negate that narrative.

In general, the Wikipedia Movement should move into video just as they branched out from just text into photography. What better way to start than a "Fireside chat" with LT?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:47 pm

I've never seen a video of Lila but I understand that she doesn't come over very well. This is partly because English isn't her first language. Maybe loads of rehearsals would help.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Poetlister wrote:I've never seen a video of Lila...
That's hard to believe -- there are plenty out there.

Anyway...
About 60% or 70% of the audience applauded at the end of her half-hour keynote speech. That's usually a sign that it was not exactly a rousing speech.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

thekohser wrote: About 60% or 70% of the audience applauded at the end of her half-hour keynote speech. That's usually a sign that it was not exactly a rousing speech.
Lila the Globetrotter wrote:"I've spent the last year of course doing a lot of work at the Wikimedia Foundation but, even more importantly, listening and learning about what's important to our community, to you, and to the world as a whole. So I really spend my time at my job listening and traveling around the world to learn as much as possible about what you need. And I've spent my time with Wiki Arabia (applause), with Wikimedia Israel (big applause), in conference in Berlin [that] was all about all of us, our affiliate members. There was a Levant User Group in Remallah. In Poland (applause). And when I couldn't be there in person, I was there virtually. Mexico!!! (big applause). And the one thing that stood out for me is that we are all very, very different. We are all unique, incredible individuals, but we are all here for one very important thing. We are open communities of knowledge-seekers, builders, and sharers."
So she apparently sees her job as not to oversee the creation of software that actually works by people actually capable of writing it, but to travel the world making impressionistic contact with a handful of User Group members to learn "we are all very, very different...unique, incredible individuals."

THIS is one of the big reasons staff is howling... Fancy Shoes is always out of the office, jet-setting, leaving a leadership vacuum in San Francisco.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:56 pm

thekohser wrote:
I've never bothered to look for them. I'm sure that there are many people I could see on video if I chose.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:
I've never bothered to look for them. I'm sure that there are many people I could see on video if I chose.
No need now. She has resigned.
:unicorn:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Randy from Boise wrote: THIS is one of the big reasons staff is howling... Fancy Shoes is always out of the office, jet-setting, leaving a leadership vacuum in San Francisco.
I don't know about that. Excessive air travel seems to be par for the course at the WMF, if you'll recall the photo of 4 years of boarding passes that Brandon "Woolly Whiskers" Harris posted when he quit.

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)