Worst Wikipedia article titles

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Worst Wikipedia article titles

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Vocal wrote:That is the worst article title I have ever seen.
Come on now, this is Wikipedia we are talking about. Surely you have seen worse.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Vocal
Critic

Re: Chick-a-Pedia

Unread post by Vocal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:07 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Come on now, this is Wikipedia we are talking about. Surely you have seen worse.
Not really.

I mean, I could go actively looking for titles that are even more of a mess...

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Okay, how about Animal conspiracy theories involving Israel? :evilgrin:

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Or, as it's now called, Zoological conspiracy theories (Arab-Israeli conflict) (T-H-L). What a hash.

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 am

Sweet Revenge wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Or, as it's now called, Zoological conspiracy theories (Arab-Israeli conflict) (T-H-L). What a hash.
You're right, that is worse. I stand corrected.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Vocal wrote:
Sweet Revenge wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Once again, my Blog Post Sense is tingling.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Hersch wrote:
Vocal wrote:
Sweet Revenge wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Once again, my Blog Post Sense is tingling.
"Top 10 Worst Wikipedia Article Titles"?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Vocal wrote:"Top 10 Worst Wikipedia Article Titles"?
+1 :applause:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hersch
Retired

Re: Worst Wikipedia article titles

Unread post by Hersch » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:16 am

I am prepared to write a blog article about this myself. Question: what happened to the original post? What was that Chick-fil-a "free speech" article title again?
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:21 am

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Hersch
Retired

Unread post by Hersch » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks. I am now working up a blog article -- any other suggestions? I am not looking for just weird 'n' zany titles -- I am looking for the titles that betray the existence of vicious POV warring over non-encyclopedic current-events propaganda control issues.
Malcolm X

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:59 pm

List of video games notable for negative reception (T-H-L)

Controversy over linguistic and ethnic identity in Moldova (T-H-L)

Disputed status of the isthmus between Gibraltar and Spain (T-H-L)

Places that have decriminalized non-medical cannabis in the United States (T-H-L)

Overtures by Hector Berlioz (T-H-L) (Berlioz is the only composer who gets a special overtures article?)

Problems in coal mining (T-H-L) "Coal mining cannot be done everywhere with coal, due to certain geological restrictions."

Closings and cancellations following the September 11 attacks (T-H-L)

North American video game crash of 1983 (T-H-L)

History of discovery and distribution of the remains of Aegean civilization (T-H-L)

List of Angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion (T-H-L)

Network Service Providers in Nepal (T-H-L) "There are few Network Service Providers (NSPs) in Nepal." (And apparently, none of them are notable enough for their own Wikipedia article, but collectively, they are a force to be reckoned with, known to the world as... <booming narrator voice from classic television superhero programs> "Network Service Providers in Nepaaaaaallll!")

List of U.S. communities with Asian American majority populations (T-H-L) The comedy factor in this one is not so much in the title, but in the fact that "Millbourne", Pennsylvania is included in the list. Millbourne is a speck of land (0.1 square mile) with fewer than 1,200 people, but it's listed in the Asian American list under a sub-heading "Places with fewer than 25,000 people".

Urinal deodorizer block (T-H-L) This term appears zero times in Google News archives, and in zero Google Books (that are not scraped from Wikipedia).

Loose wheel nut indicator (T-H-L)

Gathering this list took me approximately 20 minutes.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Colonies of Poland (T-H-L)

The very first sentence in the article is - wait for it - "Poland never formally had any colonial territories."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Vocal wrote:Colonies of Poland (T-H-L)

The very first sentence in the article is - wait for it - "Poland never formally had any colonial territories."
That absolutely trumps all of mine. Well done.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Vocal wrote:Colonies of Poland (T-H-L)

I suspect there are probably some ethnic LIthuanians and ethnic Germans who would beg to differ.

RfB

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 pm

I'd say the "List of video games notable for negative reception" article Kohs provided is a definite keeper for the post.

Edit:
I herby submit to the running, September 11 intelligence prior to the attacks (T-H-L).

- Noam Chomsky

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Out of curiosity, what does this thread actually have to do with Wikimedia governance?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Years ago, there was an article titled "Transport in Africa". The entire text of the article, aside from assorted infoboxes, was "There is transport in Africa". It was deleted in 2007 (twice), after I complained (probably on IRC) that it was stupid. This non-article remains linked from the "Transport in <X>" articles for most or all African countries, as well as other places, and appears on the "list of missing Africa topics" project management page.

There are also a number of pages titled something like "<X> Delegation to the <Y> Olympic Games" where the text says "<X> did not participate in the <Y> Olympic games", or in some cases "<X> sent a delegation to the <Y> Olympic Games" with no further information. (I may be misremembering the exact titles, but you get the point.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Vocal wrote:Out of curiosity, what does this thread actually have to do with Wikimedia governance?
Multi-million dollar, tax-exempt non-profit charities shouldn't condone silly things.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Thumbing through my past contributions I stumbled on this gem as well: Politicization of science (T-H-L). Basically, it's a left-wing attack page focusing mostly on the Bush Administration.

I just noticed the rather hilariously POINTy edit summary used when creating the article: "This is why you can't get funding for anti-GW research." Blatant POV-page stemming from the Wikipedia Climate Change imbroglio that was then hijacked by the other side for the opposite POV.

- Noam Chomsky

Retrospect
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: Retrospect

Unread post by Retrospect » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 pm

thekohser wrote:Problems in coal mining (T-H-L) "Coal mining cannot be done everywhere with coal, due to certain geological restrictions."
[/uote]If there's no bloody coal that's a geological restriction!
Urinal deodorizer block (T-H-L) This term appears zero times in Google News archives, and in zero Google Books (that are not scraped from Wikipedia).[/quote]
That's very notable by any sane definition. Haven't you ever been in a public toilet? (Oh, this is bloody Wikipedia. Sanity excluded.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Retrospect wrote:That's very notable by any sane definition. Haven't you ever been in a public toilet? (Oh, this is bloody Wikipedia. Sanity excluded.)
I didn't say it wasn't notable. I'm saying that it's rather likely that nobody on earth, prior to Wikipedia, had ever called it a "urinal deodorizer block" in any reliable sources.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Articles for deletion/List of really really stupid article ideas that you should not create -- also subjected to two MFDs.

Towel Day

Penn State Nittany Lions football under Joe Paterno (as an Independent)

And just btw: wanna see an obscenely long article, about an obscure and trivial subject, written by a single nut?
Character mask (T-H-L)

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:35 pm

EricBarbour wrote:And just btw: wanna see an obscenely long article, about an obscure and trivial subject, written by a single nut?
Character mask (T-H-L)
I read through the intro. I gave up after that because it was pretty clear that I wasn't gonna actually find out anything about the subject.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the original version of the article, while still ridiculously long, actually contained a basic overview of the concept.

Hersch
Retired

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:51 am

Is there a way of using the "history" feature of the Wiki software, or any other feature for that matter, that allows you to track the name changes in a article? Looking at the original talk page, I infer that "Allegations of Israeli Apartheid" was originally "Israeli Apartheid." It is now "Israel and the Apartheid Analogy." Has it had other names in its long history?
Malcolm X

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 am

Hersch wrote:Is there a way of using the "history" feature of the Wiki software, or any other feature for that matter, that allows you to track the name changes in a article? Looking at the original talk page, I infer that "Allegations of Israeli Apartheid" was originally "Israeli Apartheid." It is now "Israel and the Apartheid Analogy." Has it had other names in its long history?
None that I can find. All you can do is try to search thru AN/I, AFDs, MFDs, etc. etc. by dates. It's usually difficult, sometimes impossible.

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:24 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Hersch wrote:Is there a way of using the "history" feature of the Wiki software, or any other feature for that matter, that allows you to track the name changes in a article? Looking at the original talk page, I infer that "Allegations of Israeli Apartheid" was originally "Israeli Apartheid." It is now "Israel and the Apartheid Analogy." Has it had other names in its long history?
None that I can find. All you can do is try to search thru AN/I, AFDs, MFDs, etc. etc. by dates. It's usually difficult, sometimes impossible.
The move log here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/move has a search box or two at the top, but I can't make it do anything at all, even for stuff I know is in there, even on the current page. You probably all know all about this.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:40 am

Sweet Revenge wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
The move log here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/move has a search box or two at the top, but I can't make it do anything at all, even for stuff I know is in there, even on the current page. You probably all know all about this.
I dunno. Used it to find this:
14:35, November 1, 2005 Moriori (talk | contribs) moved page Main Page to Hauturu/Little Barrier Island (to utilise official naming) (revert)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 am

Zoloft wrote: I dunno. Used it to find this:
14:35, November 1, 2005 Moriori (talk | contribs) moved page Main Page to Hauturu/Little Barrier Island (to utilise official naming) (revert)
I see, I'm an idiot. It wants the exact page title and I was thinking it worked like keyword search. But it only works from old titles, so you can't use it to find old article names.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am

Sweet Revenge wrote:
Zoloft wrote: I dunno. Used it to find this:
I see, I'm an idiot. It wants the exact page title and I was thinking it worked like keyword search. But it only works from old titles, so you can't use it to find old article names.
Once you find a few bits of info then use other fields like user and date.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Zoloft wrote:I dunno. Used it to find this:
And I used it to find this. Comedy gold.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm

If you click on view history, there will be a link at the top of that page saying "view logs for this page" and on that page there is a drop-down menu allowing you to look at just the move log for the article. However, that only tells you how many times that specific page has been renamed. You would have to check the move history of the other names to get the full picture, and if there were any deletions along the way then you won't see that part of the history.

- Noam Chomsky

Hersch
Retired

Unread post by Hersch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 am

thekohser wrote:
Yes, it does work, provided you enter a date, and spell the original article name in a flawless and case-sensitive way.
Malcolm X

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 am

Hersch wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Yes, it does work, provided you enter a date, and spell the original article name in a flawless and case-sensitive way.
Good lord, what little busy bees.

jd turk
Contributor
Wikipedia Review Member: jd turk

Unread post by jd turk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 am

EricBarbour wrote:And just btw: wanna see an obscenely long article, about an obscure and trivial subject, written by a single nut?
Character mask (T-H-L)
Wow. That's not a writer, that's a man on a crusade.

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 am

Mason wrote: And if Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L) isn't enough, there's also Opinions on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L), because of course opinions about a controversy needs to be in a separate article from the controversy itself. But not international opinions, that goes in International reactions to the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L). Which is entirely different from the Economic and social consequences of the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L), of course.
It never occurred to me that the words "controversy" and "opinions on" could be used recursively. Soon we'll have not only Opinions on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L), but Opinions on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy controversy (T-H-L), Opinions on opinions on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy controversy controversy (T-H-L), ad infinitum. It's amazing.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 am

Also, searching for "criticism of" titles is rather eye-opening regarding which people and things merit a whole article's worth of criticism.

(Hint: see which ones are simply redirects to the person or thing.)

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:48 am

List of Canadians (T-H-L)

Just what it says on the tin.
This is an incomplete list
Ya think?

There's also a List of Arabs (T-H-L).
Last edited by Mason on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:57 am

Mason wrote:List of Canadians (T-H-L)

Ya think?
You're thinking small: Category:Lists_of_people_by_nationality (T-H-L)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 am

....which brings up Criticism of postmodernism (T-H-L). Which is so badly written, one could say it's "postmodern".

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 am

Mason wrote:Also, searching for "criticism of" titles is rather eye-opening regarding which people and things merit a whole article's worth of criticism.

(Hint: see which ones are simply redirects to the person or thing.)
That link led me to Criticism of atheism (T-H-L). From there, I discovered the gem known as List of former atheists and agnostics (T-H-L).

I clicked some links in that article, and discovered List of converts to Christianity from atheism (T-H-L), List of converts to Islam from Atheism (T-H-L), List of converts to Judaism from Atheism (T-H-L), and List_of_converts_to_Baha'i#Atheism (T-H-L).

All four started by the same person, list-freak Ncboy2010 (T-C-L).

:facepalm:

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 am

This thread, which is really about 'Articles with Crap Titles', is starting to converge with 'Crap Articles'. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=694

But it's all entertaining.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Mason wrote:And if Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L) isn't enough, there's also Opinions on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L), because of course opinions about a controversy needs to be in a separate article from the controversy itself. But not international opinions, that goes in International reactions to the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L). Which is entirely different from the Economic and social consequences of the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy (T-H-L), of course.
Mason, I had to re-post this on Facebook. Thank you.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm

There's quite a bit of hilarity to be found in the "List of" pages. List of musicians known for destroying instruments (T-H-L) and List of superheroes and villains without superpowers (T-H-L) (both entirely unreferenced), for example. From the latter:
Batman (M) (martial arts master, detective, inventor, master strategist, billionaire, scientist)
Batman (Bruce Wayne), the first and original Batman.
Batman (Dick Grayson), the first Robin to serve under Bruce Wayne and the second Batman of Gotham City.
Batman (Jason Todd), the second Robin. He is the second Batman on Earth-15.
Batman (Tim Drake), the third Robin. He replaces Bruce Wayne in some continuities, notably the Titans Tomorrow continuity.
Batman (Damian Wayne), the 5th and current Robin. Portrayed as the successor to Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson in a possible future of mainstream continuity (prior to Flashpoint).
Batman (Terry McGinnis), the second Batman in the DCAU/Earth-12 universe and the fourth Batman in a possible future of mainstream continuity (prior to Flashpoint).
Much more encyclopedic than just saying "Batman."

Retrospect
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: Retrospect

Unread post by Retrospect » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Mason wrote:List of Canadians (T-H-L)

You failed to point out that this article is so shitty that half of it is a list of other lists, including List of premiers of Nunavut (T-H-L). Look for yourself if you don't believe it! :lol:

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I don't know if this really counts as a bad Wikipedia title per se because it's just called what the subject is called, but it's pretty surreal in its little way: Efbe's Hidalgo At Goodspice (T-H-L).

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 am

Sweet Revenge wrote:I don't know if this really counts as a bad Wikipedia title per se because it's just called what the subject is called, but it's pretty surreal in its little way: Efbe's Hidalgo At Goodspice (T-H-L).
Which leads to Category:Best in Show winners of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, which is full of bizarre, AND not very complete. A lot of dogs have won awards at WKC, yet very few are listed here.

I like List_of_fictional_Jews#Comic_books_and_heroes (T-H-L) myself.