Crap articles

Jim
Blue Meanie
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by Jim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Hex wrote:Fail. I've simply removed it now.
See, that's the kind of thing you abusive admins do all the time in an effort to exert your authority. You've sucked all the fun out of it for yet another contributor:

the dedicated WikiJimmy.

Won't anyone think about the content creators? Seems not, sadly.

Jimophobe. :angry:

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Jim wrote: the dedicated WikiJimmy.
That's Susan Hunt Wulkowicz, not WikiJimmy.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:50 pm

How about this for a very special kind of crap? The history of Tachash (T-H-L) is possibly the most insane thing I've ever seen in the project. In January 2011 it was well over 200KB. Appears to have been the work of one strange man and his sockpuppets.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Hex wrote:How about this for a very special kind of crap? The history of Tachash (T-H-L) is possibly the most insane thing I've ever seen in the project. In January 2011 it was well over 200KB. Appears to have been the work of one strange man and his sockpuppets.
The redirect of Tachash to Tabernacle (T-H-L) is less than optimal. There really should be a separate article.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:51 am

Hex wrote:How about this for a very special kind of crap? The history of Tachash (T-H-L) is possibly the most insane thing I've ever seen in the project. In January 2011 it was well over 200KB. Appears to have been the work of one strange man and his sockpuppets.
:A special kind of crap indeed. Holy crap! :evilgrin:

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 am

Hex wrote:
Jim wrote: the dedicated WikiJimmy.
That's Susan Hunt Wulkowicz, not WikiJimmy.
Oops... Ah well, it's a nice background. We shouldn't get too excited about accuracy and harass good folks over small, innocent errors. Where would that end? Everyone's a dog on the internet. Can it still be a DYK?

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Parity (sports) (T-H-L)
It has a neutrality issue since 2011!

Freddy
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MinoanX
Wikipedia Review Member: Vercingetorix
Actual Name: Brandon Moreno

Unread post by Freddy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Centre for Magnetic Resonance Investigations (T-H-L) looks like a ghastly pile of shit
"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.”
- Oscar Wilde

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am

Why does this "general encyclopedia" need things like Saipan incident (T-H-L)?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu May 01, 2014 6:07 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Why does this "general encyclopedia" need things like Saipan incident (T-H-L)?
It doesn't claim to be a "general encyclopedia"; it claims to be the sum of all human knowledge. The article on its own merits is not a crap article.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 04, 2014 12:32 pm

James Gleick, 'The Information Palace', New York Review of Books, 8 December 2010 wrote: The word “information” has grown urgent and problematic—a signpost seen everywhere, freighted with new meaning and import. We hardly need the lexicographers of the Oxford English Dictionary to tell us that, but after all, this is what they live for. It is a word, they tell us, “exhibiting significant linguistic productivity,” a word that “both reflects and embodies major cultural and technological change,” therefore a word crying out for their attention. In their latest quarterly revision, December 2010, just posted, the entry for “information” is utterly overhauled. (The OED, in case you hadn’t noticed, has evolved into an enterprise of cyberspace, rather than a mere book.)

The renovation has turned a cottage into a palace. Information, n., now runs 9,400 words, the length of a novella. It is a sort of masterpiece—an adventure in cultural history. (source)
Information (T-H-L), by contrast, runs to about 2,200 words. And it is about as far from a masterpiece as it is possible to get.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed May 07, 2014 2:02 am

Hex wrote:Information (T-H-L), by contrast, runs to about 2,200 words. And it is about as far from a masterpiece as it is possible to get.
It contains the "quote"
"Men so wise should go and inform their kings." (1330)
which came from nowhere. Web searches all lead back to the Wikipedia article and numerous mirrors and plagiarisms thereof.

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Boko Haram stuff merged to here.
-- Allie

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 am

Take a good, close look at Pacific Rim National Park Reserve (T-H-L).
The park encompasses a thin strip of land located on the south-west coast Irel Island.
During the drier summer months the area is sometimes covered in fog. Average temperatures range
Created in 2003. Untouched since 2013, except one Cydebot edit. No references.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu May 08, 2014 3:46 am

Tino Caspanello (T-H-L), most recently and frequently edited by Caspanello Tino (T-C-L). It's existed for almost 10 years.
Tino Caspanello was born in Pagliara, Messina province, Italy. In 1983 he graduated in Scenography at the Academy of Fine Arts Pietro Vannucci in Perugia and in the 1993 he founded the theatre company Teatro Pubblico Incanto. He starded to write plays in 1990. In 2003 his text Mari (The sea) received the Special Prize of the Jury of Premio Riccione. In 2008 Tino Caspanello received the prize of the National Association of Theatre Critics as playwright and director.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu May 08, 2014 5:56 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:Information (T-H-L), by contrast, runs to about 2,200 words. And it is about as far from a masterpiece as it is possible to get.
It contains the "quote"
"Men so wise should go and inform their kings." (1330)
which came from nowhere. Web searches all lead back to the Wikipedia article and numerous mirrors and plagiarisms thereof.
Hmm. That's a leftover shred of this edit from 2005 that copied some historic uses out of the aforementioned OED article. But looking at that now, it doesn't contain the "quotation" in question. Mpfrank (T-C-L), "an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering in Tallahassee, Florida", who made the edit, evidently thought it was a good idea to "modernize" the quotations. He turned Chaucer's
Whanne Melibee (T-H-L) hadde herd the grete skiles and resons of dame Prudence, & hire wise informacions and techynges.
into
Melibee had heard the great skills and reasons of Dame Prudence, and her wise informations and techniques.
Note how he mangled "teachings" into "techniques". :yak: That's why you only get Wikipedia clones when searching for the "kings" quotation. The actual quotation can be found in the OED article inform, v.:
(a1338) Robert Mannyng, Mannyng's Chronicle (T-H-L) (Petyt 511) ii. 315 (MED),
Þo ilk men so wise suld go & enforme ȝour kynges, Withouten mo justise or trauaile of oþer lordynges.
Notice also how he turned "a1338" (a as in ante, i.e. before, the year Mannyng died) into the exact "1330"! He did the same with all the other dates mentioned in the edit.

This complete garbage sat in the article for almost ten years - not any more. Thanks for spotting it.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri May 09, 2014 3:09 am

Hex wrote:This complete garbage sat in the article for almost ten years - not any more. Thanks for spotting it.
One down, god knows how many hundreds of thousands to go.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri May 09, 2014 4:41 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:This complete garbage sat in the article for almost ten years - not any more. Thanks for spotting it.
One down, god knows how many hundreds of thousands to go.
That should be added here: Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia (T-H-L)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri May 09, 2014 9:23 pm

EricBarbour wrote: One down, god knows how many hundreds of thousands to go.
I know, right? Always improving.
Johnny Au wrote:That should be added here: Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia (T-H-L)
Ignorant crap isn't a hoax.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 am

Premium example of embarrassing fancruft:

Mercedes Lackey (T-H-L)

Rather lacking in references, eh? Where does guff like this come from:
She and Dixon have in the past worked in raptor rehabilitation. She often refers to her various parrots as her "feathered children". The afterwords to some of her books refer to rehabilitation and falconry, and it is clear that this interest has influenced and informed her writing. She also enjoys beadwork, costuming, and needlework. She claims, however, to be a "wretched housekeeper, and by and large an indifferent cook" (Valdemar Companion, p 64) Besides this, she does radar-reading during tornado season. She helps support the Alex Foundation.

Lackey is active in the ball-jointed doll community. She owns several dolls, many of which she has customized in the likenesses of her characters.

Historically, Lackey was active in the filking community. She was a major contributor to an early album of space filk, Minus Ten and Counting. She has won five Pegasus Awards, mostly for her songwriting. She was also active in the Society for Creative Anachronism, and belongs to the Great Dark Horde.

She is participating in the The Stellar Guild series published by Phoenix Pick. The series pairs bestselling authors like Lackey with lesser known authors in science fiction and fantasy to help provide additional visibility to them.
Mostly expanded by random IP addresses at random times since creation all the way back in April 2002. One of the first major expansions was by the little-noticed Phil Boswell (T-C-L), a longtime administrator who still concentrates on gnoming content, and stays out of stupid arguments (he almost never writes actual content). Something called MelandStv (T-C-L), an SPI, ground away at it in 2006.

(One of these days there ought to be a study of the earliest Wikipedia BLPs, I suspect they will be dominated by Ayn Rand, modern celebrities, science-fiction and fantasy writers, etc.)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat May 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Witness the giant slab of crap that I just removed from Land of the Giants (T-H-L). Not that the result could be described as a good article, either.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun May 11, 2014 1:15 am

Hex wrote:Witness the giant slab of crap that I just removed from Land of the Giants (T-H-L). Not that the result could be described as a good article, either.
:sadbanana:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 am

I always wondered how did Civilization Fanatics Center (T-H-L) has its own article. It has many features common in other video game forums (ones specific to a particular video game franchise)!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 am

Hex wrote:Witness the giant slab of crap that I just removed from Land of the Giants (T-H-L). Not that the result could be described as a good article, either.
It was a shit tv show as well. But I would suspect that article is being watched by two or three insane LOTL fans, who desperately want to see that awful Irwin Allen dreck resurrected onto the small screen. (This is nothing, you should see what UFO or Space:1999 fans are like. Truly disturbing.)
I always wondered how did Civilization Fanatics Center (T-H-L) has its own article. It has many features common in other video game forums (ones specific to a particular video game franchise)!
Category:Video game Internet forums (T-H-L) only lists 31 of them, out of thousands. Why doesn't Wikipedia mention one of the many Warcraft forums, for example?

NeoGAF (T-H-L) is typical of those category items, and also typical fancrap. Created in 2006 by one Jsearls (T-C-L), who did nothing else on Wikipedia, and it was subsequently expanded by random IP addresses. Poorly sourced, chatty.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Sun May 11, 2014 4:11 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
It was a shit tv show as well. But I would suspect that article is being watched by two or three insane LOTL fans, who desperately want to see that awful Irwin Allen dreck resurrected onto the small screen. (This is nothing, you should see what UFO or fans are like. Truly disturbing.)
I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about UFO, but I definitely recall Space:1999. As I remember it, it was less cheesy than an Irwin Allen production, but also more boring to make up for that. I had a couple of friends that really liked Space:1999; what they saw in it, I have no idea. :blink:

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun May 11, 2014 5:15 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Category:Video game Internet forums (T-H-L) only lists 31 of them, out of thousands. Why doesn't Wikipedia mention one of the many Warcraft forums, for example?

NeoGAF (T-H-L) is typical of those category items, and also typical fancrap. Created in 2006 by one Jsearls (T-C-L), who did nothing else on Wikipedia, and it was subsequently expanded by random IP addresses. Poorly sourced, chatty.
...and yet Zelda Dungeon (T-H-L) was deleted and Simtropolis (T-H-L) merged into SimCity 4 (T-H-L). Why are the admins biased in favour of certain video game franchises?

Freddy
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MinoanX
Wikipedia Review Member: Vercingetorix
Actual Name: Brandon Moreno

Unread post by Freddy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:

...and yet Zelda Dungeon (T-H-L) was deleted and Simtropolis (T-H-L) merged into SimCity 4 (T-H-L). Why are the admins biased in favour of certain video game franchises?
Europa Barbarorum (T-H-L)
Rome: Total Realism (T-H-L)
Rome: Total Realism VII (T-H-L)
Strategy games? I could see a power-fantasy thing, possibly.

BTW, Civfanatics is a pretty good site. I was prominent there during the Civilization IV (T-H-L) era.

You can probably guess why I picked the name 'Freddy':
"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.”
- Oscar Wilde

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 am

CivFanatics is a good site.

I have found another article:

Brawl in the Family (webcomic) (T-H-L)

It is created rather recently.

Drowninginlimbo
Critic

Unread post by Drowninginlimbo » Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 am

Johnny Au wrote:CivFanatics is a good site.

There's something weirdly endearing about this.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon May 12, 2014 1:32 am

Calatagan, Batangas (T-H-L)
There are several beach resorts including the art-filled guesthouse called Banak House Calatagan, others like the Ronco Beach Resort in Brgy. Bagong Silang, Playa Calatagan in Brgy. Sta. Ana, the Golden Sunset Resort in Brgy Uno, and Lago de Oro Resort where one can go wakeboarding, Villa Agustina, Nacua. These are well-known local places for relaxation and respite from all the week's work. Calatagan was formerly titled as the Forbes Park of the South, because of the rich families who owns their estates here not minding the bad road condition before, anyway they have their helipads for their helicopters to land on.
Since 2009.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 am

Did we talk about the now-eight-year editwar over Jean shorts (T-H-L)?

I will summarize. It starts in 2006 as "Jorts". A clearly joke article.
Jorts are typically still worn in the Rust Belt region of the United States, particularly in the State of Ohio. Though available across the country at retail shops such as Ross Stores, TJ Maxx, and Goodwill Industries, observers have noticed that most jorts are seen in the state of Ohio. In the rest of the United States, people wearing jorts are typically found around football stadiums hosting sporting events involving Ohio State University, hotel bars, the airport, and Applebee's.
Then it grew. Then it shrank. Then it grew again. In August 2007 it looked like this. (warning, dorky.) In September 2008 it was almost as long but totally different (and equally dorky).

It continued to grow and shrink and be editwarred, until March 2011, when it was merged with "Shorts". In January it was broken out into "Jean shorts" again, and people started fighting over it again. Oh, the stupid. Getting better all the time!

Johnny Au
Habitué

Re: [censored] articles

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 am

Drowninginlimbo wrote:

Here is the correct article: Brawl In The Family (webcomic) (T-H-L) with each word capitalized in the title.

Drowninginlimbo
Critic

Re: [censored] articles

Unread post by Drowninginlimbo » Mon May 12, 2014 4:05 am

Johnny Au wrote:
Drowninginlimbo wrote:

Here is the correct article: Brawl In The Family (webcomic) (T-H-L) with each word capitalized in the title.
I found it through google search, it's telling that the same article has been deleted but with different capitalisation. I hope it doesn't get removed anyway.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Drowninginlimbo wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:
Drowninginlimbo wrote:

I found it through google search, it's telling that the same article has been deleted but with different capitalisation. I hope it doesn't get removed anyway.
See the What links here for Brawl In The Family (webcomic) (every letter must be capitalized)
Last edited by Johnny Au on Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Cedric wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
It was a shit tv show as well. But I would suspect that article is being watched by two or three insane LOTL fans, who desperately want to see that awful Irwin Allen dreck resurrected onto the small screen. (This is nothing, you should see what UFO or fans are like. Truly disturbing.)
I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about UFO, but I definitely recall Space:1999. As I remember it, it was less cheesy than an Irwin Allen production, but also more boring to make up for that. I had a couple of friends that really liked Space:1999; what they saw in it, I have no idea. :blink:
Early episodes were like 2001: A Space Odyssey- the TV series, but the second season was more like Star Trek. If they were watching it on UHF TV in the 1980s, then they were looking for a Trek-ish show before the first sequel series came out.

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Tue May 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Sentinelese language (T-H-L)

No one knows jack shit about it, but we'll write an article about it anyway!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed May 14, 2014 9:13 am

It's not really a bad article, still deserves mention:

Fergana Valley (T-H-L)

Talk about WP:SYNTHESIS. I thought this part was hilarious, both because it mentions the 1911 Britannica (always a sore spot) and because it appears to be the work of someone from the area, and has no references at all.
Historical demography

The information contained in the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica is particularly interesting on this point, as it gives the full information from the 1897 census, the only one held in the Russian Empire before 1917, and helps to illuminate a situation rendered obscure by the vagaries of Soviet Nationalities policy in the 1920s and 1930s. The population numbered 1,571,243 in 1897, and of that number 707,132 were women and 286,369 were urban.

In 1906 it was estimated at 1,796,500. Two-thirds of the total were Sarts and Uzbek. They lived mostly in the valley, while the mountain slopes above it were occupied by Kyrgyz, partly nomadic and pastoral, partly agricultural and settled. The other nations were Kashgarians, Kipchaks, Bukharan Jews and Gypsies. The governing classes were of course Russians, who constituted also the merchants and industrial working class, such as it was. But the merchants of West Turkestan were called all over Central Asia Andijanis, from the town of Andijan in Ferghana. The great mass of the population are Muslims (1,039,115 in 1897).

The divisions revealed by the 1897 census, between a largely Tajik-speaking area around Khuhand, hill-regions populated by Kyrgyz and a settled, population in the main body of the valley, roughly reflect the borders as drawn after 1924. One exception is the town of Osh, which has a majority Uzbek population but ended up in Kyrgyzstan.

The one significant element that is missing when looking at modern accounts of the region are the Sarts. This term was abolished by the Soviets as 'derogatory' after 1920, but in fact there was a clear distinction between long-settled, Persianised Turkic peoples, speaking a form of Qarluq Turkic that is very close to Uyghur, and those who called themselves Uzbeks, who were a Kipchak tribe speaking a Turkic dialect much closer to Kazakh, who arrived in the region with Shaibani Khan in the mid-16th century. That this difference existed and was felt in Ferghana is attested to in Timur Beisembiev's recent translation of the Life of Alimqul (London, 2003).

There were very few Kipchak-Uzbeks in Ferghana, although they had at various times held political power in the region. In 1924 however, Soviet policy decreed that all settled Turks in Central Asia would henceforth be known as "Uzbeks", (although the language chosen for the new Republic was not Kipchak but Qarluq) and the Ferghana Valley is now seen as an Uzbek 'heartland'.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 am

Crap, celebrity BLP issues, animal cruelty...

The Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting investigation (T-H-L) page has it all. Parts have not been updated in seven years, and the middle part of the article has tense issues, making it read like a time warp.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri May 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Loki (T-H-L)
In Norse mythology, Loki, Loptr, or Hveðrungr is a god or jötunn (or both). Loki is the son of Fárbauti and Laufey, and the brother of Helblindi and Býleistr. By the jötunn Angrboða, Loki is the father of Hel, the wolf Fenrir, and the world serpent Jörmungandr. By his wife Sigyn, Loki is the father of Narfi and/or Nari. By the stallion Svaðilfari, Loki is the mother—giving birth in the form of a mare—to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir. In addition, Loki is referred to as the father of Váli in the Prose Edda.

Loki's relation with the gods varies by source. Loki sometimes assists the gods and sometimes causes problems for them. Loki is a shape shifter and in separate incidents he appears in the form of a salmon, mare, seal, a fly, and possibly an elderly woman. Loki's positive relations with the gods end with his role in engineering the death of the god Baldr. Loki is eventually bound by the gods with the entrails of one of his sons.
Britannica
Loki, in Norse mythology, a cunning trickster who had the ability to change his shape and sex. Although his father was the giant Fárbauti, he was included among the Aesir (a tribe of gods). Loki was represented as the companion of the great gods Odin and Thor, helping them with his clever plans but sometimes causing embarrassment and difficulty for them and himself. He also appeared as the enemy of the gods, entering their banquet uninvited and demanding their drink; he was the principal cause of the death of the god Balder. Loki was punished by being bound to a rock, thus in many ways resembling the Greek figures Prometheus and Tantalus.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Fri May 23, 2014 3:04 pm

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 pm

tarantino wrote:Feeldoe (T-H-L) (NSFW)
Why does this patented adult toy deserve a product placement on wikipedia? It's been there for two years, and the only references are to the patent and the product's website.
Tagged for deletion a month after the above was posted.....yet still there.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Considering that a major war might break out every day because of North Korea's corrupt and aggressive military dictatorship, you'd think Wikipedia would have decent coverage of the DPRK's military, nuclear and space-launch facilities. Apparently you would be wrong.

Tonghae Satellite Launching Ground (T-H-L) is short, not very detailed, and contains the usual weird "Wiki-slobber" language. The "Location" part says:
It lies in southern Hwadae County, North Hamgyong Province, near the northern tip of the East Korea Bay. The area was formerly known as Taep'o-dong (대포동) during the period when Korea was occupied by Japan, and the Taepodong rockets take their name from this. This single loose-surface road is susceptible to seasonal flooding.
"Loose-surface road"? What "loose-surface road"?? What about it? And BTW, many textbooks and news references still refer to the facility as "Taep'o-dong".

Plus, Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center (T-H-L) is badly dated and badly written. As usual with an article very few Wikipedians care about, many of the weblinks are now dead. If'n ya can't Google it, it don't exist, eh?

And since when is an angry blog called "Korean Confidential" a "reliable source"?

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:11 am

EricBarbour wrote:And since when is an angry blog called "Korean Confidential" a "reliable source"?
At a guess, since the precise moment its author logged into Wikipedia.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon May 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Deborah Voigt (T-H-L) consists largely of a fannish narrative of her career, except that part of it are out of order and much of it is written as if the various productions haven't happened yet, even though plenty of it had to have been written well after the earlier performances.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon May 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Ming wrote:Deborah Voigt (T-H-L) consists largely of a fannish narrative of her career, except that part of it are out of order and much of it is written as if the various productions haven't happened yet, even though plenty of it had to have been written well after the earlier performances.
The great bulk of which was written in 2009 by two names we've seen many times before: Bearian (T-C-L) and that Korean nut Caspian blue (T-C-L). Obsessed opera fans, or paid?

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Mon May 26, 2014 7:07 pm

EricBarbour wrote:[...]you'd think Wikipedia would have decent coverage of the DPRK's military, nuclear and space-launch facilities.
To be fair, does anyone?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon May 26, 2014 7:17 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Considering that a major war might break out every day because of North Korea's corrupt and aggressive military dictatorship, you'd think Wikipedia would have decent coverage of the DPRK's military, nuclear and space-launch facilities.
Honestly, how would Wikipedia get access to that information?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Considering that a major war might break out every day because of North Korea's corrupt and aggressive military dictatorship, you'd think Wikipedia would have decent coverage of the DPRK's military, nuclear and space-launch facilities.
Honestly, how would Wikipedia get access to that information?
Time Magazine, Defense News, BBC, coverage of various crises in many mainstream media sources, official government (non-DPRK) photos, IAEA reports perhaps?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon May 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:Honestly, how would Wikipedia get access to that information?
It only takes one of them to leave his/her/its dank basement, go to the library, and check out this book. Or buy a cheap used copy on Amazon. It contains everything one needs about the DPRK's history, including 37 pages of scholarly references.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Ming wrote:Deborah Voigt (T-H-L) consists largely of a fannish narrative of her career, except that part of it are out of order and much of it is written as if the various productions haven't happened yet, even though plenty of it had to have been written well after the earlier performances.
The great bulk of which was written in 2009 by two names we've seen many times before: Bearian (T-C-L) and that Korean nut Caspian blue (T-C-L). Obsessed opera fans, or paid?
I see what you did there. (My emphasis.)