Crap articles

Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm

enwikibadscience wrote: And, sadly, because I was using the article, it is unlikely that you ever will. Or that I do.
Oooh. :D
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Rejang–Sajau languages (T-H-L)

*cough*

"The family was named after the Rejang River and has nothing to do with the Rejang language."

I know I should take this out and add a redirect.

But now I feel bad, because I know I'm just not interested enough to. :(

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Zoloft wrote:Rejang–Sajau languages (T-H-L)

*cough*

"The family was named after the Rejang River and has nothing to do with the Rejang language."

Rejang language (T-H-L)
which is Not to be confused with Rejang Kayan language (T-H-L).
which is Not to be confused with Kayan language (Burma) (T-H-L).
which is Not to be confused with Kayan languages (T-H-L).

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:54 pm

*cough*

What would you redirect, to where?

I can't even decide if this was added as some sort of misguided reference to a "family" name (like Singh) (they do that - names are important) - or the "family" of languages.
My head hurts.
which is Not to be confused with Headache (T-H-L).

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm

My apologies to Ming and Jim.

You see my difficulty all too well.

I should have kept this small atrocity to myself.

Damn you, Wikipediocracy!

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Zoloft wrote:My apologies to Ming and Jim.
Nah - you're fine - nothing like a blue link crapola to get one to the bottom of the glass and up for a refill...
Nice clip. "One of my all time favourites, mate"

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Jim wrote:
Zoloft wrote:My apologies to Ming and Jim.
Nah - you're fine - nothing like a blue link crapola to get one to the bottom of the glass and up for a refill...
And that's why Cwmhiraeth (T-C-L) never clicks on any WikiLinks she uses, she's confused enough already what with plagiarizing and misinterpreting material she can't understand from sources, does not need the same from Wikipedia.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Ming wrote:

*cough*

Rejang language (T-H-L)
ALL of this is the fault of Kwamikagami (T-C-L), whose hobby is apparently adding the entirety of the Ethnologue database to Wikipedia, but making the least possible effort in doing so. Punan language (T-H-L), for example, is one of the worst disambiguation pages I've ever seen; and at microstubs like Bah-Biau Punan language (T-H-L), he adds "not to be confused with" headers for languages with no obvious correlation, until you dig into them and find that part of their name overlaps with the one you're looking at, or they're spoken by a different tribe with the same name, or are part of a similarly-named language group.

As an experiment, I've just spent a while trying to improve all differentiators (is that a word? It is now) you quote above, and created a new redirect at Rejang language (T-H-L). It was extremely time-consuming. It was also annoying, because Kwamikagami should have done that himself. Incidentally, I notice that he was desysopped in 2012 at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Perth (T-H-L) for using tools in a dispute and wheel warring.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Hex wrote:
Ming wrote:

*cough*

Rejang language (T-H-L)
ALL of this is the fault of Kwamikagami (T-C-L), whose hobby is apparently adding the entirety of the Ethnologue database to Wikipedia, but making the least possible effort in doing so. Punan language (T-H-L), for example, is one of the worst disambiguation pages I've ever seen; and at microstubs like Bah-Biau Punan language (T-H-L), he adds "not to be confused with" headers for languages with no obvious correlation, until you dig into them and find that part of their name overlaps with the one you're looking at, or they're spoken by a different tribe with the same name, or are part of a similarly-named language group.

As an experiment, I've just spent a while trying to improve all differentiators (is that a word? It is now) you quote above, and created a new redirect at Rejang language (T-H-L). It was extremely time-consuming. It was also annoying, because Kwamikagami should have done that himself. Incidentally, I notice that he was desysopped in 2012 at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Perth (T-H-L) for using tools in a dispute and wheel warring.
Yes, crap editors like Cwmhiraeth (T-C-L) and this linguistically mixed incompetent editor create messes that would take more time to clean up than it took them to create.

It takes me an hour to even begin to understand what Cwmhiraeth was trying to write, and the suggestion to her editorial incompetence is not that she stop writing or study biology to learn it at least at a fifth grade level, but that I solve the problem of her 1300 made up articles by quitting my job, disowning my family, devoting my life to picking up her parade of turds.

Incompetence is allowed, even encouraged (WikiCup winner two years in a row creates 1300 turds). Correcting is extremely time consuming, and it never seems to be the responsibility of the incompetent editor.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Could someone make the dead horse a WikiCup, specifically Cwmhiraeth's fancy one?

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Cultural history of the United States (T-H-L). Historian Roy Rosenzweig identified this as a crap article in 2006 (see my discussion of that in 2010). And lo, it is still crap*.
The cultural history of the United States covers the cultural history of the United States
Prior to the early 19th century, people were infrequently jailed.
:blink:

*See 'always improving'.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 pm

Wakwak (T-H-L)
The Wakwak is a vampiric, bird-like creature in Philippine mythology. It is said to snatch humans at night as prey, similar to the Manananggal and the Ekek in rural areas of the Philippines, due to its ability to fly. The difference between the Mananggal and the Wakwak is that Wakwak cannot separate its torso from its body while the Manananggal can. Some believe it is also a form a vampire takes. Other people contend that a "Wakwak" is a Philippine night bird belonging to a witch.

The sound of a Wakwak is usually associated with the presence of an Unglu (vampire) or Ungo (ghost or monster). It is also believed that this monster is called "Wakwak" due to this sound it makes when it flaps its wings while flying. When one hears the Wakwak, it is looking for possible victims. If the sound of the Wakwak is loud, it means it is far from you. Otherwise, it is near and worse yet, it is about to attack. It slashes and mutilates its victims and feeds on their hearts.[citation needed]

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:52 am

Zoloft wrote:Wakwak (T-H-L)
The Wakwak is a vampiric, bird-like creature in Philippine mythology. It is said to snatch humans at night as prey, similar to the Manananggal and the Ekek in rural areas of the Philippines, due to its ability to fly. The difference between the Mananggal and the Wakwak is that Wakwak cannot separate its torso from its body while the Manananggal can.
Oh man, I love southeast Asian folklore.

Duke Olav III
Verified PseudoIdentity
Wikipedia User: Duke Olav Otterson of Bornholm

Unread post by Duke Olav III » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Syedwala (T-H-L)
'''Syedwala''' a place in the centre of Fertile Punjab. A place which contributes a significant part of World's best Quality [[Basmati]] Rice, a large producer of Hand Made Carpets. Syedwala has its own importance in this region by its ideal location. Syed wala basically contacts many districts i.e. Nankana Sahb, Sheikhupura, Faisalabad and Okara.
:picard:
Røget sild!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Cultural history of the United States (T-H-L). Historian Roy Rosenzweig identified this as a crap article in 2006 (see my discussion of that in 2010). And lo, it is still crap*.
The cultural history of the United States covers the cultural history of the United States

*See 'always improving'.
Oh. :blink:

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Duke Olav III wrote:Syedwala (T-H-L)
'''Syedwala''' a place in the centre of Fertile Punjab. A place which contributes a significant part of World's best Quality [[Basmati]] Rice, a large producer of Hand Made Carpets. Syedwala has its own importance in this region by its ideal location. Syed wala basically contacts many districts i.e. Nankana Sahb, Sheikhupura, Faisalabad and Okara.
Sadly, this is fairly typical of Indian place articles.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Cultural history of the United States (T-H-L). Historian Roy Rosenzweig identified this as a crap article in 2006 (see my discussion of that in 2010). And lo, it is still crap*.

*See 'always improving'.
My all-time favorite (thankfully deleted, twice) was Transport in Africa (T-H-L). It read, in its entirety, "There is transport in Africa" and was obviously created by a redlinkophobe to fill in a hole created by a template. Wikipedia's obsessive-compulsives will slap a template onto something and then create empty articles to fulfill the framework established by the template, which then get filled either with nonsense or left empty because nobody at Wikipedia knows what to say about the topic. In some cases (such as "Transport in Africa") there is arguably nothing coherent to be said; certainly an article about transport in Africa would be a synthesis, and Wikipedia policies prohibit synthesis.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Duke Olav III wrote:Syedwala (T-H-L)
One of countless similar crap articles about places in the region. Here's how it looked before someone chopped out most of it in October 2010. The paragraph you quote was added in August 2011.

Note the second part of that diff. It stayed there for three months. Since then, nothing but bots and crap gnome edits by people who should know better.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:

*See 'always improving'.
My all-time favorite (thankfully deleted, twice) was Transport in Africa (T-H-L). It read, in its entirety, "There is transport in Africa" and was obviously created by a redlinkophobe to fill in a hole created by a template. Wikipedia's obsessive-compulsives will slap a template onto something and then create empty articles to fulfill the framework established by the template, which then get filled either with nonsense or left empty because nobody at Wikipedia knows what to say about the topic. In some cases (such as "Transport in Africa") there is arguably nothing coherent to be said; certainly an article about transport in Africa would be a synthesis, and Wikipedia policies prohibit synthesis.
Transport in Africa could be an interesting article, as it works differently from other continents because of the need to move goods and desire to move people in and out of limited areas with resources, think of the great salt transport, the movement of 19th century trade goods, the tourist transport to great wildlife observation areas, the type of goods found in Centeal Africa versus West Africa. I bet there are books and papers on modern and historical aspects already. "Transport in North America" would be a synthesis and useless, but in Africa would be an article.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:"Transport in North America" would be a synthesis and useless, but in Africa would be an article.
You reverse-racist.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:07 pm

thekohser wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:"Transport in North America" would be a synthesis and useless, but in Africa would be an article.
You reverse-racist.
? Even if a joke, I am missing it. Probably should not be multi-tasking right now.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:My all-time favorite (thankfully deleted, twice) was Transport in Africa (T-H-L). It read, in its entirety, "There is transport in Africa" [...]
[Dr] Johnson had said that he could repeat a complete chapter of "The Natural History of Iceland", from the Danish of Horrebow, the whole of which was exactly thus: “CHAP. LXXII. – Concerning Snakes. “There are no snakes to be met with throughout the whole island”. ”
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-hFX ... &q&f=false

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:My all-time favorite (thankfully deleted, twice) was Transport in Africa (T-H-L). It read, in its entirety, "There is transport in Africa" [...]
[Dr] Johnson had said that he could repeat a complete chapter of "The Natural History of Iceland", from the Danish of Horrebow, the whole of which was exactly thus: “CHAP. LXXII. – Concerning Snakes. “There are no snakes to be met with throughout the whole island”. ”
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-hFX ... &q&f=false
No snakes? Like.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 am

List_of_minor_planets (T-H-L) and its 1485 subpages.

Looking at one of the subpages at random, List_of_minor_planets:_15001–16000, it is viewed on the average of three times per day, probably mostly by bots.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:32 am

Virtually all of those articles were generated by Merovingian (T-C-L)'s minor-planet scraper bot. And save other bots, no one has ever looked, nor will ever look, at them.

Which reminds me: Ion thrusters (T-H-L)
Ion thrusters' exhaust velocity are often in the range of 15–50 kilometres per second (1,500–5,100 s), and will have a specific thrust usually below a newton per tonne.[citation needed] Thruster efficiency may reach 60–80%.

According to Edgar Choueiri ion thrusters have input power 1-7 kilowatts, exhaust velocity 20-50 kilometers per second, thrust 20-250 millinewtons and efficiency 60-80 percent.[1][2]
So which is it, smartasses?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

tarantino wrote:List_of_minor_planets (T-H-L) and its 1485 subpages.

Looking at one of the subpages at random, List_of_minor_planets:_15001–16000, it is viewed on the average of three times per day, probably mostly by bots.
Sure, but look at the page view activity of any one of the random minor planets within that subpage!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:11 pm

EricBarbour wrote: Which reminds me: Ion thrusters (T-H-L)
Ion thrusters' exhaust velocity are often in the range of 15–50 kilometres per second (1,500–5,100 s), and will have a specific thrust usually below a newton per tonne.[citation needed] Thruster efficiency may reach 60–80%.

According to Edgar Choueiri ion thrusters have input power 1-7 kilowatts, exhaust velocity 20-50 kilometers per second, thrust 20-250 millinewtons and efficiency 60-80 percent.[1][2]
So which is it, smartasses?
See also this post of mine to this thread last November, on a similar topic.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:27 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Here is one that is new: Pono (digital music service) (T-H-L)
Hah. I recently had to read the riot act to the guys on Muff's forum about this "company".
:offtopic: but I can't help sharing: Wat HiFi? :rotfl:

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Russian espionage in the United States (T-H-L)

"Unputdownable - a nail-biter, yet not quite le Carré..."

From the 2010 tag: No cleanup reason has been specified. Hard to help with that one, I guess, then. I should probably just remove the tag, as there are no obvious problems. :blink:

update: ah, screw it: removed. No reason for that ugly box on a fine article like this, for 4 years without explanation.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:41 pm

List_of_minor_planets wrote:As of December 2013 there are 380,114 numbered minor planets, and about as many yet unnumbered. Most are not particularly noteworthy; only some 16,000 minor planets have been given names (the first nameless minor planet being number 3708).
How can they justify having a separate article for tens of thousands of them? It's a non-negligible proportion of the totality of all articles. And someone needs to keep updating the data; many thousands of new ones have been discovered in the last three months.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Try Ballistic missile (T-H-L) too.

Starts off by saying "Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth's atmosphere, while longer range ones are designed to spend some of their flight time above the atmosphere"

Then defines the "3 phases of flight" for all of them as: "the powered flight portion, the free-flight portion which constitutes most of the flight time, and the re-entry phase where the missile re-enters the Earth's atmosphere."

Check out the "10 year old" writing level of the "Advantages" section too. Makes no real "case" for either "side" of the "cagematch" it decides it's about, just getting right along with comparing the apples to the oranges - and culminates in this absolute gem:

This is why despite cruise missiles being cheaper, more mobile and more versatile, ballistic missiles are some of the most feared weapons available.

complete with a wonderful, wikipedia voice "this is why" clause.

ok, then, Anne Elk bracket Miss bracket...

"That is the theory that I have, and which is mine, and what it is too."

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Jim wrote:Try Ballistic missile (T-H-L) too.

Starts off by saying "Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth's atmosphere, while longer range ones are designed to spend some of their flight time above the atmosphere"

Then defines the "3 phases of flight" for all of them as: "the powered flight portion, the free-flight portion which constitutes most of the flight time, and the re-entry phase where the missile re-enters the Earth's atmosphere."

Check out the "10 year old" writing level of the "Advantages" section too. Makes no real "case" for either "side" of the "cagematch" it decides it's about, just getting right along with comparing the apples to the oranges - and culminates in this absolute gem:

This is why despite cruise missiles being cheaper, more mobile and more versatile, ballistic missiles are some of the most feared weapons available.

complete with a wonderful, wikipedia voice "this is why" clause.

ok, then, Anne Elk bracket Miss bracket...

"That is the theory that I have, and which is mine, and what it is too."
I honestly think part of why Wikipedia "works" is that we have such a glut of information available to us today that we don't really bother processing much of what we read (unless it's for a serious purpose, or for the purpose of criticism as in your case just now). People just think, Hey, that's cool. If I really need to know I can come back to it.

At least that is how it is for me. I'm not interested in missiles. I had no appreciation of the difference between a cruise missile and a ballistic missile ten minutes ago. Even so, I've come away from reading this Wikipedia article with the idea that ballistic missiles apparently fly higher than cruise missiles and rely on inertia for a good part of their journey, while a cruise missile's flight is powered all the way. So I believe I actually may have learned something from the article, and it is of such negligible practical interest to me at this moment in time that I don't really care if it's wrong. If I ever used that information in conversation and someone told me I was wrong, I'd just shrug my shoulders and say, Ah, ok, fair enough, my mistake.

I believe a lot of Wikipedia reading is of that type.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Cooties (T-H-L)

There are a few sentences that are found in the lead that are simply copied into the "Cooties game" section.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:36 am

Tubular bells (T-H-L)

Futurama has more of a mention in that article than Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. In the fifth movement of the latter, tubular bells were used, and yet, Berlioz and Symphonie Fantastique have no mentions at all.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:11 am

Johnny Au wrote:Tubular bells (T-H-L)

Futurama has more of a mention in that article than Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. In the fifth movement of the latter, tubular bells were used, and yet, Berlioz and Symphonie Fantastique have no mentions at all.
That poor article doesn't know whether to call the instrument 'chimes' or 'tubular bells' - because of a poor use of redirect. I suspect it started out at 'chimes' where it probably should have stayed, with a redirect from 'tubular bells.' Popular use is 'chimes.'
Edit: Hm. Looking at the article history, I don't really know...

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:58 pm

HRIP7 wrote:I honestly think part of why Wikipedia "works" is that we have such a glut of information available to us today that we don't really bother processing much of what we read (unless it's for a serious purpose, or for the purpose of criticism as in your case just now). People just think, Hey, that's cool. If I really need to know I can come back to it.

At least that is how it is for me. I'm not interested in missiles. I had no appreciation of the difference between a cruise missile and a ballistic missile ten minutes ago. Even so, I've come away from reading this Wikipedia article with the idea that ballistic missiles apparently fly higher than cruise missiles and rely on inertia for a good part of their journey, while a cruise missile's flight is powered all the way. So I believe I actually may have learned something from the article, and it is of such negligible practical interest to me at this moment in time that I don't really care if it's wrong. If I ever used that information in conversation and someone told me I was wrong, I'd just shrug my shoulders and say, Ah, ok, fair enough, my mistake.

I believe a lot of Wikipedia reading is of that type.
That's a very good observation.
You came away feeling you knew more, and from what you say you probably did.
When I read it again, that article's not the worst thing I ever read, in toto; I'm no missile expert either, but it's full of silly contradiction, unsupported opinion, and poor arguments.

Leaving this article aside, I guess that's the real danger of wikipedia - whilst you and I see it for what it is, many may not.
We can "come away wiser" because we know we need to filter what we read. We don't treat it as any sort of authority, just a source of thinking points.

If you can process WP articles the way you process something you find on a random blog, then yeah, it's useful as raw, unanalysed data.
If everyone does that, sure, it might be fine. But do they? And is that what it encourages them to do? I don't think everyone does, and the people who edit-war to get their position foremost sure don't think that either - otherwise they wouldn't fight so hard on the front line in that venue.

The huge thing to me is that it purports to be more: "the sum of human knowledge". It tries to speak from authority. If that fools one person, that's one too many. (same goes for the blogs, of course, but they lack the pervasiveness and Google juice)
It's the first answer one sees when one gets on the intertubes to learn about something, and for many, that's as far as they go. That's great power, and as any comic book metaphor addict will tell you, that needs to come with great responsibility...

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am

thekohser wrote:

Sure, but look at the page view activity of any one of the random minor planets within that subpage!
How often do the Google, Bing and other search engine robots visit each Wikipedia page? Also, do these page view counts include any visits by the various Bots written by Wikipedia editors?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Even so, I've come away from reading this Wikipedia article with the idea that ballistic missiles apparently fly higher than cruise missiles and rely on inertia for a good part of their journey, while a cruise missile's flight is powered all the way.
Of course, you could have inferred with some reliability that from their respective names alone (all you really need to know is what "ballistic" means).

Overall this article is disorganized and badly written with clear signs of dartboard editing, the history section is incredibly sketchy and massively short on essential facts that are almost certainly available elsewhere on Wikipedia (for example, it states that some Russian missile was the first ICBM, but doesn't say that it was in fact a Russian missile, or when this missile was tested or first deployed), and the comparative analysis of ballistic and and cruise missiles is puerile, but by comparison it's not that bad as Wikipedia goes.

This actually illustrates a running problem with Wikipedia. Wikipedia doubtlessly has good (or at least adequate) articles on every model of ballistic missile heretofore introduced, at least by the major powers, with mindnumbing details about thrust and range and payload and whatever facts the military hardware nerds have gathered in their obsessive fascination with this particular corner of human endeavors. But this article isn't about a single class of ballistic missiles. It's an article about ballistic missiles, generally. Wikipedia truly sucks at writing articles about categories, classes, or broad concepts. You can't just plunk data into a standardized framework; you have to analyze many different things, extract commonalities, exclude irrelevancies, and prioritize for importance. Few Wikipedians have that talent, and even when one of them does visit one of these articles, over time dartboard editing by people who have a fact they just have to share eradicates any semblance of expository narrative that one might have striven to impose upon the article.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:22 pm

I agree with you that the "in popular music" section is crap especially in the absence of anything on the development of the instrument and its use in music at that time. However, Berlioz did not specify tubular spells and I have often seen instruments of the traditional bell shape used. Similarly in, Parsifal something that sounded right was improvised fir the first performances and all sorts of things have been used since. Where I think of tubular bells as a standard feature is in the symphonic writing of Mahler who was active at a time when the percussion section of orchestras began to grow like Topsy. I suspect that the instrument was developed in the late 19th century.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:28 pm

eppur si muove wrote:

I agree with you that the "in popular music" section is crap especially in the absence of anything on the development of the instrument and its use in music at that time. However, Berlioz did not specify tubular spells and I have often seen instruments of the traditional bell shape used. Similarly in, Parsifal something that sounded right was improvised fir the first performances and all sorts of things have been used since. Where I think of tubular bells as a standard feature is in the symphonic writing of Mahler who was active at a time when the percussion section of orchestras began to grow like Topsy. I suspect that the instrument was developed in the late 19th century.
See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie ... Sabbath.29

It mentions that tubular bells are used.
Wikipedia article on Symphonie fantastique wrote:At bar 80, there is one bar of alla breve, with descending crotchets in unison through the entire orchestra. Again in 6/8, this section sees the introduction of tubular bells and fragments of the "witches' round dance".
I have added the bolding for emphasis in the quote. I have the CD for the Symphonie fantastique and I hear tubular bells. I went to a live concert for the same composition and I also hear tubular bells.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 pm

Here is another one: Guilder (T-H-L)

It mentions the fictional currency of Mesada, despite it having less relevance than the Gilda, which is a fictional currency used in the Dark Cloud video game series, but is not mentioned in the Wikipedia article, despite the fact that Gilda sounds very close to the Japanese pronunciation of Guilder.

See here for the Gilda: http://darkcloud.wikia.com/wiki/Gilda (it even comes with a photograph of a bag of real life replica Gilda).

Either Gilda needs to be mentioned in the Wikipedia article or all mentions of fictional variants of the Guilder be removed.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:50 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
eppur si muove wrote:

... However, Berlioz did not specify tubular spells and I have often seen instruments of the traditional bell shape used...
See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie ... Sabbath.29

It mentions that tubular bells are used.
Wikipedia article on Symphonie fantastique wrote:At bar 80, there is one bar of alla breve, with descending crotchets in unison through the entire orchestra. Again in 6/8, this section sees the introduction of tubular bells and fragments of the "witches' round dance".
I have added the bolding for emphasis in the quote. I have the CD for the Symphonie fantastique and I hear tubular bells. I went to a live concert for the same composition and I also hear tubular bells.
You should know better than to quote Wikipedia here and expect to have it accepted as definitive. Also, I did not say that modern orchestras never used tubular bells, I said that Berlioz did not specify them. Did the performance you saw and does your CD use ophicleides? Most performances use tubas instead, but it is the former that Berlioz wrote for.

If you look at http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/b ... antastique, you'll see that he used multiple pianos in some performances as the best approximation to the sound he wanted. But these are the sort of thing I was talking about being used in some performances I have seen.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:32 am

Thank you for clarifying, eppur si muove.

Modern orchestras often have to make do. The CD I have and the live orchestra I went to used tubas instead.

Here is another Toronto-related burger joint that is poorly-written: Johnny's Charcoal Broiled Hamburgers (T-H-L). No, I don't operate that joint.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Internet of Things (T-H-L). What TF is that? I had to find this article before I understood. Right, it's a scenario or hypothetical situation or possible world in which everything is wired up to the Internet. The Wikipedia version is just shit.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Internet of Things (T-H-L). What TF is that? I had to find this article before I understood. Right, it's a scenario or hypothetical situation or possible world in which everything is wired up to the Internet. The Wikipedia version is just shit.
From the book wiki:
Philippe Gautier

Incomprehensible writer, wrote his own incomprehensible biography, under the name Pgautier-neuze. Was also primarily responsible for the incomprehensible Internet of Things. [76]

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:Internet of Things (T-H-L). What TF is that? I had to find this article before I understood. Right, it's a scenario or hypothetical situation or possible world in which everything is wired up to the Internet. The Wikipedia version is just shit.
From the book wiki:
Philippe Gautier

Incomprehensible writer, wrote his own incomprehensible biography, under the name Pgautier-neuze. Was also primarily responsible for the incomprehensible Internet of Things. [76]
The Internet of Things: the emerging unmanagable dystopia where your refrigerator is spamming thousands of people with advertisements for fetish porn because a programmer in Shanghai didn't entirely understand snmp security.

Edit: Did not even know about this: Refrigerator Busted Sending Spam Emails In Massive Cyberattack

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:45 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
From the book wiki:
Philippe Gautier

Philippe Gautier (T-H-L)

Fuck me. But the technorati are starting to chatter about this rubbish. What next?

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Andrew wrote a piece about this a month ago.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/10 ... _thingies/
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Crack of doom (T-H-L) is a crock of shit.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Hex wrote:Crack of doom (T-H-L) is a crock of shit.
It just needs an infobox - paging Mabbett.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 am

Gildan Activewear (T-H-L) does not even mention the original founders or the etymology.

Gildan is a Canadian company, but it uses American English.