Crap articles

enwikibadscience
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Duke Olav III wrote:
He again visited Abaqa Khan, accompanied by Shams-uddin the Sahib Diwan, in 1276-7, and this time the former good opinion of the Mongol sovereign in respect to him seems to have been changed to suspicion, which led to his death, for he was poisoned in January 1278, by means of a water-melon given to him while he was in the bath at Tabriz. Abaqa Khan even caused his body to be buried in chains at Jam in Khorasan.
:rotfl:
OMG!

Is it a hoax?

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

What wikipedia?
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 pm

tarantino wrote:Micah Meisner (T-H-L). If you look at the history, it's obvious that Micah frequently edits his bio while not logged in.

A quote from the article is "He is a writer/director, FBI/CIA Investigator for Cyberdivision who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia." No, he doesn't work for the CIA or FBI.

After perusing his many blogs, such as "Statement on Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder Against Micah Meisner", it is apparent he has some mental health and substance abuse issues.
Toronto and other people involved are guilty of playing a part in a
first degree conspiracy to commit murder against an innocent
filmmaker who was the victim of psychological and physical abuse
his entire life.

They helped hold him hostage in a house he never grew up in
under bio-chemical terrorism, nuclear chemical weapon terrorism,
hydrogen bomb planting, laser beam to skull terrorism,
and other forms of direct energy weapon terrorism.
Would a real encyclopedia host such an autobiography?

Gone, under CSD:A7 and G11. It had also been deleted in 2007.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Duke Olav III wrote:
He again visited Abaqa Khan, accompanied by Shams-uddin the Sahib Diwan, in 1276-7, and this time the former good opinion of the Mongol sovereign in respect to him seems to have been changed to suspicion, which led to his death, for he was poisoned in January 1278, by means of a water-melon given to him while he was in the bath at Tabriz. Abaqa Khan even caused his body to be buried in chains at Jam in Khorasan.
I'll bet you a dollar that was largely copied word for word from A Literary History of Persia: The Tartar Dominion by Edward G. Browne (1926), which is listed as a source for the article.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 am

Lukeno94 wrote:
tarantino wrote:Micah Meisner (T-H-L). If you look at the history, it's obvious that Micah frequently edits his bio while not logged in.

A quote from the article is "He is a writer/director, FBI/CIA Investigator for Cyberdivision who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia." No, he doesn't work for the CIA or FBI.

After perusing his many blogs, such as "Statement on Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder Against Micah Meisner", it is apparent he has some mental health and substance abuse issues.
Toronto and other people involved are guilty of playing a part in a
first degree conspiracy to commit murder against an innocent
filmmaker who was the victim of psychological and physical abuse
his entire life.

They helped hold him hostage in a house he never grew up in
under bio-chemical terrorism, nuclear chemical weapon terrorism,
hydrogen bomb planting, laser beam to skull terrorism,
and other forms of direct energy weapon terrorism.
Would a real encyclopedia host such an autobiography?

Gone, under CSD:A7 and G11. It had also been deleted in 2007.
The bio survived an Articles for deletion last September that was open for two weeks and had five commenters.

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:09 am

Hex wrote:
Duke Olav III wrote:
I'll bet you a dollar that was largely copied word for word from A Literary History of Persia: The Tartar Dominion by Edward G. Browne (1926), which is listed as a source for the article.
It's got that Orientalist wordiness you see in British scholarship of the period.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:11 am

Hex wrote:
Duke Olav III wrote:
Correct, except it was originally published in 1902.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:05 am

Bullet (upcoming film) (T-H-L)
Bullet (stylized as BULLET) is one of the best received action thriller film starring Danny Trejo as the title character and Jonathan Banks as the villain (best known for Beverly Hills Cop and Breaking Bad) The film was directed by Nick Lyon, written by Lyon, Matthew Joynes, Ron Peer, Byron Lester, and produced by Matthew Joynes and Robert Rodriguez. It follows an undercover police officer-turned-vigilante (Trejo) tracking down the crooks who kidnapped his grandson. Filming took place in Los Angeles, United States. The film is slated for a late-2014 theatrical release.
You can thank little Bonkers The Clown for starting this one.

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 am

EricBarbour wrote:Bullet (upcoming film) (T-H-L)
Bullet (stylized as BULLET) is one of the best received action thriller film starring Danny Trejo as the title character and Jonathan Banks as the villain (best known for Beverly Hills Cop and Breaking Bad) The film was directed by Nick Lyon, written by Lyon, Matthew Joynes, Ron Peer, Byron Lester, and produced by Matthew Joynes and Robert Rodriguez. It follows an undercover police officer-turned-vigilante (Trejo) tracking down the crooks who kidnapped his grandson. Filming took place in Los Angeles, United States. The film is slated for a late-2014 theatrical release.
That was an absolute nightmare, which I've cleaned up a bit. Random URLs spammed into the article, various typing errors, and various glaring factual errors as well. In fairness to Bonkers, the article was merely mediocre when they created it, and most of the mess was created by IPs and a SPA, Robertrodriguez88 (T-C-L), who is almost certainly one of the people who worked on the film.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Bullet (upcoming film) (T-H-L)
That was an absolute nightmare, which I've cleaned up a bit. Random URLs spammed into the article, various typing errors, and various glaring factual errors as well. In fairness to Bonkers, the article was merely mediocre when they created it, and most of the mess was created by IPs and a SPA, Robertrodriguez88 (T-C-L), who is almost certainly one of the people who worked on the film.
And, in fairness to Bonkers, unlike everyone else aware of Cwmhiraeth's hoax taxonomies, he understands the problems and corrects them.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:25 pm

The Adversary wrote:
Hex wrote: I'll bet you a dollar that was largely copied word for word from A Literary History of Persia: The Tartar Dominion by Edward G. Browne (1926), which is listed as a source for the article.
Correct, except it was originally published in 1902.
Right. I was on my phone so couldn't check easily. Also, I'm not surprised - that style of phrasing was already old-fashioned by the 1920s.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Catherine Hayes (T-H-L)

Read the second paragraph.

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:Catherine Hayes (T-H-L)

Read the second paragraph.
Oh dear.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Catherine Hayes did not have any children, although later sources reported that she did, as she accused her husband of having killed them. Catherine Hayes and John Hayes lived with two lodgers, Thomas Wood and Thomas Billings. It is likely that Billings was her son, and they were also lovers ('Select trials of the Old Bailey, 1742).
...what

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Hex wrote:
Catherine Hayes did not have any children, although later sources reported that she did, as she accused her husband of having killed them. Catherine Hayes and John Hayes lived with two lodgers, Thomas Wood and Thomas Billings. It is likely that Billings was her son, and they were also lovers ('Select trials of the Old Bailey, 1742).
...what
Indeed.

:blink:

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Ah. That particular gibberish was introduced by an IP editor in March 2013 (diff only). They were obviously trying to add material from this, but failed miserably. (Not to mention that some guy's online collection of typed-up historic news articles is not a reliable source.) I've restored the previous text.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Hex wrote:Ah. That particular gibberish was introduced by an IP editor in March 2013 (diff only). They were obviously trying to add material from this, but failed miserably. (Not to mention that some guy's online collection of typed-up historic news articles is not a reliable source.) I've restored the previous text.
But I liked it!

That's one of the best things about main page DYKs, the editors never look at the articles they wikilink to, and often link to crap that contradicts the DYK and the article itself. Cwmhiraeth (T-C-L) is an expert at this. She can't generally read the technical Wikipedia articles she links to, so she doesn't, but often, if she had, she would not be including pure wrong crap in her own writings. She also might catch that she is wikilinking to nonsense when linking to non science articles.

I love DYK. It's so funny what Wikipedia chooses to advertise itself.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 am

Malin Craig (T-H-L)

It's just a paltry list and so many excessive semicolons.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Versus
Critic

Unread post by Versus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 am

The Joy wrote:Malin Craig (T-H-L)

It's just a paltry list and so many excessive semicolons.

Looks like a copyright violation:

Information added to wikipedia on 12 August 2008: link

Information had already existed on the official US Center for Military History website as far back as 12 December 2007, maybe earlier: link

Funnily enough CORNELIUSSEON (T-C-L) was later banned in 2009 for cut-and-paste copyright violations.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 am

Paraphilic infantilism (T-H-L), simply for the presence of this image, captioned "Bandera oficial de la comunidad abdl" on the English and Spanish Wikipedia articles.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Mohawk hairstyle (T-H-L) is just a mess.
Last edited by Hex on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Hex wrote:Mohawk hairstyle (T-H-L) is just a mess.
There was a time not too long ago with this article: History of tattooing (T-H-L)

For quite some time, there was obvious vandalism that was unchecked.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot that we've basically had this conversation already.
Hex wrote:
The Joy wrote:Mullet (haircut) (T-H-L)

All the hair articles could fall into the "crap" category. :facepalm:
That's nothing! You didn't see how it looked a couple of months ago.

This was in it. Really.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
There was a time not too long ago with this article: History of tattooing (T-H-L)

For quite some time, there was obvious vandalism that was unchecked.
"This section requires expansion with: proletarian, peasant and bourgeois tattooing. (July 2012)" Um... okay.

There was a lot of crap in there. I've removed... some. I don't think it's going to get much better any time soon.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Versus wrote:
The Joy wrote:Malin Craig (T-H-L)
Looks like a copyright violation:
Deleted.

Not a "bad article", just a very pointless one: Department Of Peace (T-H-L).

Created in 2004 by an historic figure, Wikipedia's first new-pages patroller Sethant (T-C-L). Yet another early administrator who quit WP last year.

Heavily expanded in 2005 by Scottperry (T-C-L), other people dropped in minor edits, 24.28.6.209 did a bunch of work in 2007, Departmentofpeace (T-C-L) in 2009, Corker1 (T-C-L) in 2010. Occasional one-revert arguments over certain "content".

Appears to be one of those articles that WPers want because it suits their political interests, not because it's a "useful item" to anyone else. If Dennis Kucinich had not brought this idea up in 2001 and kept it alive in Congress for many years, I suspect someone would have deleted or merged this article quickly.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

The Joy wrote:Mullet (haircut) (T-H-L)

All the hair articles could fall into the "crap" category. :facepalm:
The mullet one doesn't even include Chambers Dictionary's infamous definition "A haircut short at the front, long at the back and ridiculous all over".

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:04 am

HMS Calder (K349) (T-H-L) permalink
The article has this crippled pair of sentences in the lede:
"HMS Calder was a Buckley class Captain class frigate during World War II. Named after Admiral Sir Robert Calder, Bt. KCB, who was appointed Captain of the Fleet to Admiral John Jervis in 1796, and saw action at the battle of Cape St Vincent on 14 February 1797."

...and features this crazed exhortation in the body:
"It entirely clear that the ramming of U-1051 by HMS Aylmer was intentional and that Cdr B.W.Taylor was not removed from command of HMS Aylmer shortly after this incident. For further information please look at the HMS Aylmer article."

*sigh*

For the glory of the British Navy I suppose I should fix this. I can hear my late grandfather muttering faintly.

Fault: Thefrood (T-C-L) (for the lede), Ettrig (T-C-L) and Vincentog (T-C-L) for the other nonsense.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:21 am

Star Boulevard (T-H-L) permalink

Random word placement, mangled tense, quaint sentence fragments... looks as if it was hurriedly translated from Chinese.

"Being a musical, the music in Star Boulevard is the key to its success."

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:34 am

Royal Ontario Museum (T-H-L) (Canada's answer to the Metropolitan Museum of Art)

I mainly attempted to copyedit the article; much of the article has been written by museum staff, along with all the articles here: Royal Ontario Museum Iconic Objects (T-H-L) (and here: Template:Royal Ontario Museum iconic objects (T-H-L))

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Here is one that is new: Pono (digital music service) (T-H-L)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 am

Johnny Au wrote:Here is one that is new: Pono (digital music service) (T-H-L)
Hah. I recently had to read the riot act to the guys on Muff's forum about this "company".

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Hah. I recently had to read the riot act to the guys on Muff's forum about this "company".
It is my contention that by the time they can afford to buy that stuff, their ears are no longer capable of discerning the difference.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 am

lilburne wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
It is my contention that by the time they can afford to buy that stuff, their ears are no longer capable of discerning the difference.
Does their player come with 99.9999% oxygen-free copper cables with an overlay of pure silver? :sarcasm:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Emma de Guzman (T-H-L)

On a site full of True Believers, here's one for another set of True Believers.

Citations are crap, no reliable sources. My favorite thing about this article?

These two 'references:'

2. Emma de Guzman is widowed, with three grown children (one deceased).
3. Another founder of La Pieta was, Sister Soledad Gaviola, a deceased lay religious.

That's right. They are just sentences.

I guess you just gotta have faith.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Social organization in Cambodia (T-H-L)

It's literally an attributed paste from a supposedly public-domain source.

Fault: Calliopejen1 (T-C-L)

10:33, February 20, 2008‎ Calliopejen1 (talk | contribs)‎ . . (7,110 bytes) (+7,110)‎ . . (paste from public domain sources and Culture of Cambodia)

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Ismail
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Ismail

Unread post by Ismail » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 am

EricBarbour wrote:Not a "bad article", just a very pointless one: Department Of Peace (T-H-L).

[...]

Appears to be one of those articles that WPers want because it suits their political interests, not because it's a "useful item" to anyone else. If Dennis Kucinich had not brought this idea up in 2001 and kept it alive in Congress for many years, I suspect someone would have deleted or merged this article quickly.
I wouldn't call it pointless considering that it's been proposed since the 1920s. For a print encyclopedia I could see it being dropped in favor of other articles, but for an online encyclopedia, and for Wikipedia (which hardly qualifies as an encyclopedia), it's a fine subject. The problem is that only Kucinich's proposals are given any detail.

Duke Olav III
Verified PseudoIdentity
Wikipedia User: Duke Olav Otterson of Bornholm

Unread post by Duke Olav III » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Here's a bad one: Jigawa state polytechnic library (T-H-L).

Simply awful.
Røget sild!

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

The Accessibility Services section of Royal Ontario Museum (T-H-L) is poorly written, despite being written by a top museum curator.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Johnny Au wrote:The Accessibility Services section of Royal Ontario Museum (T-H-L) is poorly written, despite being written by a top museum curator.
I suspect it is also a copy-vio with its appearance of responding in language to meet a government mandate.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:37 am

It's not a "bad" article, but it's not really suitable for an "encyclopedia" either:

Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction (T-H-L)

Despite looking like a "personal essay", it wasn't written by 1 or 2 people. Instead, it accumulated random sentences and paragraphs over the past 12 years by "crowdsourcing" means -- drive-by postings by random-seeming IP addresses and assorted accounts, including Jagged 85. Nerds, blathering about one of their fave subjects, totally bereft of any knowledge of the academic approach. And yes, it would have accumulated more references, if various people didn't delete most of them.

BTW, have a look at Doomsday (film) (T-H-L). Despite being a flop and winning zero awards, it gets a 45kbyte article on Wikipedia, with 49 references. Almost entirely the work of Erik (T-C-L). That's a personal essay.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Allods Online (T-H-L)

Yes, it is one of the better known Russian-made MMOs, albeit one that has a poorly written article.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 am

Sleeping while on duty (T-H-L)

Someone must have been... well, you know... while writing this article.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

The Joy wrote:Sleeping while on duty (T-H-L)

That's in a stupid category called Category:Grounds for termination of employment (T-H-L), which it shares with No call, no show (T-H-L), which is utter shit.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Hex wrote:

That's in a stupid category called Category:Grounds for termination of employment (T-H-L), which it shares with No call, no show (T-H-L), which is utter shit.
Performing a passive duty here, by reporting this one?

:blink:

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 pm

enwikibadscience wrote: Performing a passive duty here, by reporting this one?
I'm not sure that I follow what you mean....

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote: Performing a passive duty here, by reporting this one?
I'm not sure that I follow what you mean....
And, sadly, because I was using the article, it is unlikely that you ever will. Or that I do.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:52 am

Hex wrote:

But, Hex! Jeffrd10 (T-C-L) heard the phrase "multiple times" (at least two!). Surely, that is enough for a "Keep?" :banana:

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 am

EricBarbour wrote:Created in 2004 by an historic figure, Wikipedia's first new-pages patroller Sethant (T-C-L). Yet another early administrator who quit WP last year.
Seth finally quit? I guess being a tenure-track professor leaves insufficient time or desire to fuck around with Wikipedia. Honestly I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am

Found in Cagayan (T-H-L): I defy anyone to parse this paragraph.
In 1945, the combined United States and Philippine Commonwealth ground troops together with the recognized guerrillas took in Cagayan by the attack from the Japanese troops during the liberated in Cagayan province was under the Filipino soldiers of the 1st, 2nd, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th and 16th Infantry Division of the Philippine Commonwealth Army, 1st Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary and the 11th and 14th Infantry Regiment of the United States Armed Forces in the Philippines – Northern Luzon or USAFIP-NL from the Battle of Cagayan Valley during the Second World War.
Rest of the article is also a mess, jumping between history, Chamber of Commerce puffery, and Lonely Planet writing. Usually unsourced.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am

EricBarbour wrote:Found in Cagayan (T-H-L): I defy anyone to parse this paragraph.
In 1945, the combined United States and Philippine Commonwealth ground troops together with the recognized guerrillas took in Cagayan by the attack from the Japanese troops during the liberated in Cagayan province was under the Filipino soldiers of the 1st, 2nd, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th and 16th Infantry Division of the Philippine Commonwealth Army, 1st Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary and the 11th and 14th Infantry Regiment of the United States Armed Forces in the Philippines – Northern Luzon or USAFIP-NL from the Battle of Cagayan Valley during the Second World War.
Rest of the article is also a mess, jumping between history, Chamber of Commerce puffery, and Lonely Planet writing. Usually unsourced.
That's a sentence!