Crap articles

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am

Johnny Au wrote:I have nominated Civilization Fanatics Center (T-H-L) for deletion, as it is no different from other video game forums.
I don't think that's grounds for deletion. If someone can find three or four good references, it's WP:Notable, though there be a thousand similar sites.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:I have nominated Civilization Fanatics Center (T-H-L) for deletion, as it is no different from other video game forums.
I don't think that's grounds for deletion. If someone can find three or four good references, it’s WP:Notable, though there be a thousand similar sites.
…and yet, Serebii.net was deleted, Zeldauniverse.net was deleted, etc. and they are all similar to that of CivFanatics (and there should be a few good references for those as well).

Oh, and half of the CivFanatics article mentions forum games, which are not exclusive to CivFanatics at all!

To prove my point, admins, can you create a members-only forum for forum games?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Johnny Au wrote:<snip> To prove my point, admins, can you create a members-only forum for forum games?
Nice try. Those are exceedingly annoying to administer. I've done it and hated it. Right now I'm trying to imagine certain forum members role-playing their enmity and issues over here as some sort of twisted mimicry.

Or worse, recasting them as 'Save the Princess.'

:rolleyes:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Zoloft wrote:Right now I'm trying to imagine certain forum members role-playing their enmity and issues over here as some sort of twisted mimicry.
In case you haven't noticed, that's been happening already.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Zoloft wrote:Right now I'm trying to imagine certain forum members role-playing their enmity and issues over here as some sort of twisted mimicry.
That, my fellow member, is no role-playing. That is the savagery of the jungle, with live prey.

You people want to role-play? Go have a LARP (T-H-L).
a veteran game player wrote:Gather together in a park, wearing cardboard armor (using indelible markers to write your user name on the front) and bring snacks, water and said marker. Weave in and out of the trees, shouting 'facts' randomly.

"The Battle of Hastings was in 1942!"
"Revert! It was in 1066. You prat."
"Revert! You're Eurocentric, and you're a sock anyway!" *uses marker to write 'SOCK' on opponent's cardboard armor*
"I'm taking you to the DramaBoard!" *writes AN/I on opponent's armor*
They proceed to a small clearing in the park where there are concrete benches. All sorts of characters are sitting on the benches.
There is a flipboard on an easel. The challenger scrawls his accusation on a new sheet on the flipboard. He screams his 'evidence.'
A prolonged wrangle ensues. People scream and laugh, and make sarcastic comments.
Finally one of the players, wearing a tri-cornered paper hat with the word 'ADMIN' scrawled on it, stands up, hushes everybody, writes 'BANNED' on the armor of the accused, takes the player's marker away from him, and tells him to go sit on a bench away from the rest for an hour.

Mysteriously, a player who looks just like him reappears among the trees a few minutes later, with a lot of stuff crossed out on his armor.

Onlookers who are not playing hoot and jeer and point. Some of the players ask the hecklers to leave and are given the finger.

From over a small rise, a golf cart appears, and drives up to the arguing mob.

As it comes to a halt, you note that the cardboard sign on the golf cart reads 'ARBCOM.' There are six people in the cart, who are writing notes on clipboards and passing them around to each other.

One of them speaks.

"My name is NEWYORKBRAD and I have the only reasonable opinion on this issue."

The crowd attacks the golf cart.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:46 am

a veteran game player wrote:Gather together in a park, wearing cardboard armor (using indelible markers to write your user name on the front) and bring snacks, water and said marker. Weave in and out of the trees, shouting 'facts' randomly.

"Revert! You're Eurocentric, and you're a sock anyway!" *uses marker to write 'SOCK' on opponent's cardboard armor*
They proceed to a small clearing in the park where there are concrete benches. All sorts of characters are sitting on the benches.
There is a flipboard on an easel. The challenger scrawls his accusation on a new sheet on the flipboard. He screams his 'evidence.'
A prolonged wrangle ensues. People scream and laugh, and make sarcastic comments.
Finally one of the players, wearing a tri-cornered paper hat with the word 'ADMIN' scrawled on it, stands up, hushes everybody, writes 'BANNED' on the armor of the accused, takes the player's marker away from him, and tells him to go sit on a bench away from the rest for an hour.

Mysteriously, a player who looks just like him reappears among the trees a few minutes later, with a lot of stuff crossed out on his armor.

Onlookers who are not playing hoot and jeer and point. Some of the players ask the hecklers to leave and are given the finger.

As it comes to a halt, you note that the cardboard sign on the golf cart reads 'ARBCOM.' There are six people in the cart, who are writing notes on clipboards and passing them around to each other.

One of them speaks.

:rotfl:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

One of them speaks.

:rotfl:
Beautiful.
Add to the end, "The onlookers throw grapes at the melee and giggle like schoolgirls."
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:30 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
That, my fellow member, is no role-playing.
You presume to quarrel with Poetlister on the subject of role-playing? That's like arguing hot dogs with Takeru Kobayashi.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 am

Hersch wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
That, my fellow member, is no role-playing.
You presume to quarrel with Poetlister on the subject of role-playing? That's like arguing hot dogs with Takeru Kobayashi.
Hey! I'll have you know I am at this very moment eating a cheese sandwich.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Management information system (T-H-L) is crap, and has been a variety of different kinds of crap since 2003.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Hex wrote:Management information system (T-H-L) is crap, and has been a variety of different kinds of crap since 2003.
Ouch. I'm tempted to AfD it, with the rationale 'a crock of shite'. There isn't really much more that needs saying.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:53 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Hex wrote:Management information system (T-H-L) is crap, and has been a variety of different kinds of crap since 2003.
Ouch. I'm tempted to AfD it, with the rationale 'a crock of shite'. There isn't really much more that needs saying.
You know what would happen then, though, some wiseacre would chime in with "AfD is not cleanup" and that would be that.

Its evolution over the last decade is actually fascinating, in a slow motion car crash kind of way. Going from small to huge to small to huge again as various randoms have filled it with their business wisdom - only for that to be hacked away by some later editor, and so on.

Just look at this crazy version!
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:57 pm

You're not being fair. The article has only had a "This article has multiple issues" notice posted on it since November 2012. Rome wasn't built in 20 months.

:always:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:26 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Cashel Palace Hotel (T-H-L)

(?)
Marvelous. Looks like you can thank The Banner (T-C-L) for that, who notes proudly on his user page that he created articles for every restaurant in Ireland that's ever been awarded a Michelin star. More examples at the bottom of this list of his article creations. For example, Peacock Alley (restaurant) (T-H-L).

AL1
Critic
Nom de plume: Fetty Wap

Unread post by AL1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:40 pm

The entirety of Young (MCC cricketer) (T-H-L):
Young (first name and details of birth and death unknown) was an English cricketer with amateur status who was active in 1831 and was a member of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).[1][2] He played his only first-class match in 1831, playing in an 'A to K' versus 'L to Z' match organised by MCC and involving several top-class players including Jem Broadbridge, William Lillywhite and William Ward. Young's team, L to Z, won the match by 12 runs.[1] A batsman of unknown handedness whose bowling style is not recorded, he scored five runs and a duck and took no wickets.[3]
Brilliant. Although if we want to be thorough, it really should read something like this:
Young (first name and details of birth and death unknown) was a cricketer of unknown nationality with amateur status who was only known to be active in 1831, and was a member of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).[1][2] He played what was most likely his only first-class match in 1831...

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Fantastic. You can do better than that though...
Young (first name, dates of birth and death, and nationality unknown) was an amateur cricket batsman and member of Marylebone Cricket Club who scored five runs and a duck in a first-class match in 1831.
The End.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 pm

AL1 wrote:The entirety of Young (MCC cricketer) (T-H-L):
Young (first name and details of birth and death unknown) was an English cricketer with amateur status who was active in 1831 and was a member of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).[1][2] He played his only first-class match in 1831, playing in an 'A to K' versus 'L to Z' match organised by MCC and involving several top-class players including Jem Broadbridge, William Lillywhite and William Ward. Young's team, L to Z, won the match by 12 runs.[1] A batsman of unknown handedness whose bowling style is not recorded, he scored five runs and a duck and took no wickets.[3]
Created by the hundreds over the years by BLackjack (T-C-L) among others.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Regarding Young, I'm tempted to tag 'He' and 'his' as WP:OR...

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:21 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:Regarding Young, I'm tempted to tag 'He' and 'his' as WP:OR...
Sadly, although that would be funny, the MCC didn't allow female members until the 1990s, so "Young" having been a man is pretty much self-evident.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Hex wrote:
AndyTheGrump wrote:Regarding Young, I'm tempted to tag 'He' and 'his' as WP:OR...
Sadly, although that would be funny, the MCC didn't allow female members until the 1990s, so "Young" having been a man is pretty much self-evident.
I expect that's synthesis.

At a guess, there's been wholesale copying of Who's Who of Cricketers.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 pm

I've got a perfect example of Wikipedia's coverage of a subject being far inferior to other online sources. Plus, an example of "crowdsourcing" fail.

Frank Fay (American actor) (T-H-L) covers his career and his marriage to Barbara Stanwyck. It barely mentions that he was one of vaudeville's first "modern" standup comedians. And it barely mentions his notorious right-wing and anti-Semitic political activities. For that, you'll have to read this WFMU blog post.

The WP article was written in "drive-by" style by a mishmash of editors, who appear to have relied on the IMDB article, the 1961 obituary, and little else.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 pm

EricBarbour wrote:I've got a perfect example of Wikipedia's coverage of a subject being far inferior to other online sources. Plus, an example of "crowdsourcing" fail.

Frank Fay (American actor) (T-H-L) covers his career and his marriage to Barbara Stanwyck. It barely mentions that he was one of vaudeville's first "modern" standup comedians. And it barely mentions his notorious right-wing and anti-Semitic political activities. For that, you'll have to read this WFMU blog post.

The WP article was written in "drive-by" style by a mishmash of editors, who appear to have relied on the IMDB article, the 1961 obituary, and little else.
Edited: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =604556280 As for whether it will stick, time will tell.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Cashel Palace Hotel (T-H-L)

(?)
How can a restaurant established in 1992 win awards in 1982 and 1983?

AL1
Critic

Unread post by AL1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 pm

mac wrote:How can a restaurant established in 1992 win awards in 1982 and 1983?
I assume it was an old restaurant based at the hotel which won the awards, which is what the citation provided, a PhD thesis off a university website, seems to confirm. To sum up, we have an article named after a hotel which talks mainly about a restaurant and asserts notability based on another restaurant's awards. *AND* there's no indication the head chef (a Mr Ross Lewis) has anything to do with the restaurant at all...

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:28 am

Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
I don't think that's grounds for deletion. If someone can find three or four good references, it’s WP:Notable, though there be a thousand similar sites.
…and yet, Serebii.net was deleted, Zeldauniverse.net was deleted, etc. and they are all similar to that of CivFanatics (and there should be a few good references for those as well).

Oh, and half of the CivFanatics article mentions forum games, which are not exclusive to CivFanatics at all!

To prove my point, admins, can you create a members-only forum for forum games?
Turns out I made the right call: Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Civilization_Fanatics_Center_(2nd_nomination) (T-H-L)

Civilization Fanatics Center got deleted.

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 pm

National conservatism (T-H-L)

Parties and elections..... is a useful resource, but come on.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:47 am

Colfax Avenue (T-H-L)

I lost track of why I went there as I slogged through the opening paragraph then came upon this pair of gem sentences (so, I have to post in crap articles, even though I can't bring myself to read the article, because it is two sentences, not, therefore, one of Wikipedia's worst).
"Playboy magazine once called Colfax "the longest, wickedest street in America." However, such activities are actually isolated to short stretches of the 26-mile (42 km) length of the street."
I suggest we speculate upon which activities are such.

:blink: :popcorn:

AL1
Critic

Unread post by AL1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:43 pm

The standard of rap/hip hop articles on WP is pretty poor, but I thought this bit showed a certain class we don't normally see elsewhere.
From the infobox for Timbaland & Magoo (T-H-L):
Also known as: Magoo & Timbaland, Timbaland & Maganoo, Maganoo & Timbaland, Timbo & Magoo, Magoo & Timbo, Tim & Mag, Mag & Tim

AL1
Critic

Unread post by AL1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Charlie Condon (T-H-L)
There's a *lot* one could pick out from this total mess of an article—it's full of errata, there is no "structure" to speak of, and the article only makes mention in passing of the subjects most "notable" aspects—but this section seems to encapsulate the problems most succinctly. From a section with the header "Invade a home and invite a bullet" (seriously...):
In 2001, Attorney General Condon declared an open season on home invaders. He mandated that, "citizens' defending their home against invasion should not be arrested, charged or prosecuted." [5] "The message needs to be sent loudly and clearly that the state is going to back the homeowner if their home is invaded," he said in an interview. "I'm putting home invaders on notice that if an occupant chooses to use deadly force, there will be no prosecution."But Mr. Condon said he was tired of seeing homeowners who defended their homes dragged through lengthy investigations and trials before being cleared, when it was obvious to him that they did nothing wrong.

"You don't want to put the homeowner in the position of saying, 'If I use deadly force, I might be cleared after a trial,'" Mr. Condon said. "That's tantamount to saying that people have rights, but there's a huge cross attached to it. Most courts have a laissez-faire attitude about these things, figuring that everything will come out fine after a trial. But I think we need to send the message that the home is sacred ground, period."[6]
The emphasis is there to show the sections which are more or less copied wholesale from the cited work, a 2001 New York Times article: linkhttp://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/16/us/ho ... gewanted=1[/link]

All in all, this is another article which, if reworked into a school paper, would almost certainly result in an F at best, and the author-student's dismissal at worst.

EDIT: I like that user Billy Hathorn (T-C-L) recently spent some time "fixing" this article—including the subheading mentioned above, which he not only didn't remove, but corrected for capitalization—and it is still as much of a mess, if not more so than before. Seriously, check the last diff before his spree. That edit itself consisted of other "fixes" by admin Bgwhite (T-C-L), none of which fixed any of the blatant copyright violation, "content issues", or resolved the problems leading to the now seven-year-old BLP tag. :picard:

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:56 am

Community service (T-H-L) says that the United States has community service similar to that of Canada, and yet, there are no Canadian examples.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 am

Playing the random article game Cantabrian mythology (T-H-L) which hasn't changed significantly in the last 7 years.
It seems that the native mythology of Cantabria connected, from the beginning and with the passing of the years, with Celtic and Roman mythology becoming partly related with legends and traditions from the rest of the Cantabrian Mountains. In most cases its deeper meaning, passed from parents to children through oral tradition, has been diluted, either because this meaning has been lost or because the classic writers didn't gather all the popular wealth and mentality of the time, paying attention only to cults and divinities that were similar to theirs. On the other hand, the Romanization and later ascendancy of Christendom transformed the sense and representation of these pagan rites, reaching in many cases religious syncretism.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 am

List of highways numbered 171 (T-H-L) - his list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Yeah we'll get right on that.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:09 pm

lilburne wrote:List of highways numbered 171 (T-H-L) - his list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Shouldn't A171 road (T-H-L) be linked from there? (Actually, that article belongs either here or in the Overrepresentation thread.)

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:24 pm

Faith and a .45 is a cancelled action game developed by Deadline Games for the Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.[1] The game was put on hold due to the inability for the developer to find a publisher for the game.
Faith and a .45 (T-H-L)

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Hendra Setiawan (born 25 August 1984 in Pemalang, Central Java) is a male badminton player from Indonesia and one of the world's leading doubles players. His religion is Christian.
His older sister Sylvia Anggraeny is married to the former Indonesian star badminton player Hendrawan. He is married Sandra Arief and just 3 weeks before 2014 All England Super Series Premier which he won it, his wife gave birth a twin baby named Richele and Richard.
Hendra Setiawan (T-H-L)
Well that's good to know.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 am

lilburne wrote:List of highways numbered 171 (T-H-L) - his list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

To be fair, that's a disambiguation page for people who search for "Highway 171".

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 am

Dale Gribble (T-H-L)

A poorly formatted, repetitive, unsourced piece of fancrap.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:27 am

Zoloft wrote:Dale Gribble (T-H-L)

:facepalm:

From the talk page:
Mayonase jars and assorted barrells.
Does anybody know how episodes featured him buying alien urine? And if so should it be put in the article about him constantly buying the stuff from various people. Unless it's already there and I didn't see it. Zabbethx (talk) 18:38, 4 July 2008 (UTC)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Zoloft wrote:Dale Gribble (T-H-L)

Most of the articles in Category:King of the Hill characters (T-H-L) look like this. You can tell the real fanboy crap because there are scores of IP addresses and "SPAs" in the history, making major edits.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 am

This one is for all those pricks who shrieked "why aren't there enough references!!!" over and over again.

Fishing light attractor (T-H-L)

First created in 2004. Ten years old, has never had any references. That is, if you don't count the guy who turned it into an ad for a company in October 2004. Or the IP address that tried the same thing in 2008.

Go ahead, ya little bastards, explain that one away.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 pm

I was just struck with the impulse to look up the Miami Sound Machine, a band I recall hearing a bunch in the 80s as a kid.

Miami Sound Machine (T-H-L) redirects to a subsection of Gloria Estefan (T-H-L) under "Singing career" called "Mid-1970s through the 1980s". It begins:
Starting in 1977, Miami Sound Machine began recording and releasing various albums and 45s on the Audiofon Records label in Miami.
Just like that, with no context at all. Who were they? What role did Estefan play? Are they mentioned earlier in the article? Yes: just once. In the section called "Marriage", where it says this:
Gloria [sic] became romantically involved with the Miami Sound Machine's band leader, Emilio Estefan, in 1976.
"Miami Sound Machine" has redirected to "Gloria Estefan" since the creation of both titles in 2003. However, even the one-paragraph, incorrectly-formatted first version of that article stated:
Cuban-born Estefan was raised in Miami and formed the Miami Sound Machine with Merci Murciano and Emilio Estefan's band, the Miami Latin Boys.
Always improving.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 am

Hex wrote:I was just struck with the impulse to look up the Miami Sound Machine, a band I recall hearing a bunch in the 80s as a kid.

Miami Sound Machine (T-H-L) redirects to a subsection of Gloria Estefan (T-H-L) under "Singing career" called "Mid-1970s through the 1980s". It begins:
You can thank her rabid fanboys. Like most such "hot sexy diva" vocalists, Gloria's article has been the subject of grinding by IP addresses since 2005. Plus the #1 fan of all, Charlie White (T-C-L).

The fans don't like Miami Sound Machine, because the Estefans had a falling-out with other band members in 1989 and tried to "purge" all mentions of their existence for years. Typical petty music-industry dirty tricks. They still operate, but as just "The Sound Machine".

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 am

EricBarbour wrote:They still operate, but as just "The Sound Machine".
Where's Gloria – and aren’t you “MIAMI SOUND MACHINE”??

I just KNEW you’d ask: We have been, and ARE the MIAMI SOUND MACHINE – some of us since 1985 – over 26 years! Gloria calls us MIAMI SOUND MACHINE, and we honor that by using that name when we perform with her! “The Sound Machine” is the name we use when we perform without Gloria Estefan.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Zoloft wrote:
I just KNEW you’d ask: We have been, and ARE the MIAMI SOUND MACHINE – some of us since 1985 – over 26 years! Gloria calls us MIAMI SOUND MACHINE, and we honor that by using that name when we perform with her! “The Sound Machine” is the name we use when we perform without Gloria Estefan.
"Supposedly" legal threats were exchanged, bad feelings were had by all, and years later they decided it was pointless, and "business" was more important. And you won't read any of that in the music-industry publications, or on Wikipedia, or anywhere else.

(Her son Nayib was one of my best customers for a few years. I once point-blank asked him about this, and he said "well, all of this was handled, so I'm not supposed to talk about it". Cruel and shallow money trench, eh? Even if it is a misquote......)

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Homeovestism (T-H-L):
Homeovestism is a concept identified by George Zavitzianos and further developed by Louise Kaplan, to refer to the arousal of a person by wearing clothing appropriate to his or her gender, in comparison with the more widely recognized practices of transvestic fetishism, in which one is aroused by wearing clothing of the opposite gender.
According to Kaplan's book Female Perversions (Doubleday, 1991), homeovestism is "an impersonation of the idealized phallic parent of the same sex" in order "to overcome shameful and frightening cross-gender identifications" (p. 546, footnote to p. 250).
:blink:

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 pm

mac wrote:Homeovestism (T-H-L):
Homeovestism is a concept identified by George Zavitzianos and further developed by Louise Kaplan, to refer to the arousal of a person by wearing clothing appropriate to his or her gender, in comparison with the more widely recognized practices of transvestic fetishism, in which one is aroused by wearing clothing of the opposite gender.
According to Kaplan's book Female Perversions (Doubleday, 1991), homeovestism is "an impersonation of the idealized phallic parent of the same sex" in order "to overcome shameful and frightening cross-gender identifications" (p. 546, footnote to p. 250).
Paris_Is_Burning_(film) (T-H-L) is an excellent documentary.
The film explores the elaborately-structured ball competitions in which contestants, adhering to a very specific category or theme, must "walk" (much like a fashion model's runway) and subsequently be judged on criteria including the "realness" of their drag, the beauty of their clothing and their dancing ability. Drag is presented as a complex performance of gender, class, and race, in which one can express one's identity, desires and aspirations along many dimensions.
The idea of "realness" usually involves wearing clothing appropriate to one's gender, with categories such as "businessman", "office worker" "military", "student", "athlete", &c. The point is that everyone is "performing" and everyone is in "drag".

The film is on YouTube here:
former Living Person

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Mancunium wrote:
The film explores the elaborately-structured ball competitions in which contestants, adhering to a very specific category or theme, must "walk" (much like a fashion model's runway) and subsequently be judged on criteria including the "realness" of their drag, the beauty of their clothing and their dancing ability. Drag is presented as a complex performance of gender, class, and race, in which one can express one's identity, desires and aspirations along many dimensions.
The idea of "realness" usually involves wearing clothing appropriate to one's gender, with categories such as "businessman", "office worker" "military", "student", "athlete", &c. The point is that everyone is "performing" and everyone is in "drag".

Thanks for clarifying for me. :)

I saw that film years ago, it will be nice to re-watch it tonight., except that version isn't available in the United States. A friend will loan his DVD to me, though. Thanks Mancunium.

(edited)

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:09 am

mac wrote:
Mancunium wrote:

Thanks for clarifying for me. :)

I saw that film years ago, it will be nice to re-watch it tonight., except that version isn't available in the United States. A friend will loan his DVD to me, though. Thanks Mancunium.

(edited)
So every day is cosplay. :B'

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone