rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by rnu » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:08 pm

andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:49 pm
Japanology bashing
Are you suggesting that Nishidani is Peter N. Dale?
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

andre
Banned

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:10 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:08 pm
andre wrote:
Japanology bashing
No, are you?
I'm suggesting that the sources in the article were shit and Nishidani edit warred to restore them.
Dale might be his cousin, roommate, or just a source he likes.
Still a shit article.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:29 pm

andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:10 pm
rnu wrote:
andre wrote:
Japanology bashing
No, are you?
I'm suggesting that the sources in the article were shit and Nishidani edit warred to restore them.
Still a shit article.
Ah, it's a source he used? I didn't go through the diffs, so I guess I missed the context on your post.

andre
Banned

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:31 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:29 pm
andre wrote:
rnu wrote:
andre wrote:
Japanology bashing
No, are you?
Still a shit article.
Ah, it's a source he used? I didn't go through the diffs, so I guess I missed the context on your post.
The article heavily relies on the sources that are described as "Japanology bashing"
Very similar to Nishidani's treatment of other types of ethnocultural nationalism
Deny it, bash it, and add sources that have been raked through the mud since the 1980s as though they are authoritative scholarship which support his POV

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:33 pm

andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:31 pm
rnu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:29 pm
andre wrote:
rnu wrote:
andre wrote:
Japanology bashing
No, are you?
Still a shit article.
The article heavily relies on the sources that are described as "Japanology bashing"
Very similar to Nishidani's treatment of other types of ethnocultural nationalism
Deny it, bash it, and add sources that have been raked through the mud since the 1980s as though they are authoritative scholarship which support his POV
It's the Wikipedia way.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:36 pm

Andre seems to have missed another review of Dale's book:
link

Is it Cherry Picking time in Japan again?

andre
Banned

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:38 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:36 pm
link

No objection to adding that source as well.
Doesn't justify the removal of templates or restoration of unsourced OR tagged since 2015.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:08 pm

andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:38 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
link

Doesn't justify the removal of templates or restoration of unsourced OR tagged since 2015.
I'm not proposing adding the book review as a source. I was providing it as evidence that the reviews you yourself linked may not have been representative.

This is all beside the point though. As I've already made clear, I'm no subject matter expert, though my anthropology degree, along with what I do know about Japanese culture, along with what I know about the heavy engagement of the Japanese political right wing with nationalist myth-making makes me suspect that Dale may have been at least worth the read. I simply don't know what the current state of play is in regard to what is clearly a tricky subject. I'd guess that opinions are likely to be divided. They almost always are, because that's how academia works. My criticism has never been about the article content, it has been of the way you engaged with it. Or rather, didn't. You just coincidentally (you will have us believe) found an article that Nishidani had contributed to, made a swathe of edits (including removing academically sourced material, apparently on the basis that you didn't like what it said) and then immediately accused Nishidani of having a CoI on the most spurious of grounds, when reverted: accusations made both on Wikipedia and here at Wikipediocracy. You accused Nishidani of having a CoI because he appears to have subject-matter expertise. That is an utterly disgusting display of anti-intellectualist bullshit, and while it may possibly once have been acceptable tactic on Wikipedia to deride expertise, I see no reason to pretend that it should be acceptable here.

If I were to engage with the article, I'd certainly be wary of using Dale as the main focus of any critique of Nihonjinron. But not because I disagree with him (if I did). I'd be looking for more recent sources. And then, after evaluating what is available try to present their arguments in a balanced way. And if there was disagreement about sources and/or emphasis, discuss it on the fucking talk page, like an adult, rather than going running off to ANI when reverted, squealing about imaginary conflicts of interests and some giant conspiracy to erase Japanese culture.

andre
Banned

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:09 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:08 pm
andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:38 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
link

I'm not proposing adding the book review as a source. I was providing it as evidence that the reviews you yourself linked may not have been representative.

This is all beside the point though. As I've already made clear, I'm no subject matter expert, though my anthropology degree, along with what I do know about Japanese culture, along with what I know about the heavy engagement of the Japanese political right wing with nationalist myth-making makes me suspect that Dale may have been at least worth the read. I simply don't know what the current state of play is in regard to what is clearly a tricky subject. I'd guess that opinions are likely to be divided. They almost always are, because that's how academia works. My criticism has never been about the article content, it has been of the way you engaged with it. Or rather, didn't. You just coincidentally (you will have us believe) found an article that Nishidani had contributed to, made a swathe of edits (including removing academically sourced material, apparently on the basis that you didn't like what it said) and then immediately accused Nishidani of having a CoI on the most spurious of grounds, when reverted: accusations made both on Wikipedia and here at Wikipediocracy. You accused Nishidani of having a CoI because he appears to have subject-matter expertise. That is an utterly disgusting display of anti-intellectualist bullshit, and while it may possibly once have been acceptable tactic on Wikipedia to deride expertise, I see no reason to pretend that it should be acceptable here.

If I were to engage with the article, I'd certainly be wary of using Dale as the main focus of any critique of Nihonjinron. But not because I disagree with him (if I did). I'd be looking for more recent sources. And then, after evaluating what is available try to present their arguments in a balanced way. And if there was disagreement about sources and/or emphasis, discuss it on the fucking talk page, like an adult, rather than going running off to ANI when reverted, squealing about imaginary conflicts of interests and some giant conspiracy to erase Japanese culture.
I did not remove any academic material. I removed unsourced. The sourced material remained. I added MORE sources. Once again, lies.
Also, I left several messages on the talk page. Nishidani reverted wholesale. You're just wrong, bud.
Bye.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:37 am

Meanwhile, back with our regular 'crap articles' service, this little gem: Mowing the lawn (T-H-L)

This has it all. Misleading title (no lawns involved). Ineffective attempts at political point-scoring with regard to Wikipedia's current favourite 'contentious topic'. A complete lack of fucking context to explain why an article (or something pretending to be one) on a metaphor for a supposed Israeli military tactic is worthy of discussion beyond any discussion of such tactics itself. And it can't even agree with itself as to how כיסוח דשא should be translated.

The 'article' contains this useful quote though:
"מי שלא מכסח את הדשא, הדשא מכסח אותו ('He who does not mow the grass, the grass mows him').
He who sows the crap, the crap shall stick to his shoes, stain his carpet, and drive away all who encounter him...

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:19 am

Cossack songs are folk songs which were created by Cossacks

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:50 am

Tim Curry (T-H-L), where we learn how to handle little unsourceable personal details in biographies of living people.

“From the mid-1970s onward, Curry was close friends with Freddie Mercury after the Queen singer had seen Curry in both the London stage production of The Rocky Horror Show and its 1975 film version. A keen horticulturalist, Curry later told the UK edition of House & Garden magazine about designing Mercury's garden: "Freddie came back from a tour and said, 'The garden, dear, it's dead.' I said, 'What? Did you water it?' And Freddie said, 'Water it, dear?'"[8] Both Curry and Mercury were also close friends with Peter Straker, with Straker starring with Curry in the London production of Hair.[34]”

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:14 am

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:19 am
Same vibes
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:10 am

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:14 am
Elinruby wrote:
Same vibes
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut.
oh it's an interesting topic. I didn't get past the lede though

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Do you remember the wedding dresses, O Best Beloved?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:40 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Do you remember the wedding dresses, O Best Beloved?
I was mercifully unaware of those disputes, oh merciless and all-powerful. I am not quite rational on why British royalty exists in the first place anyway.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:53 pm

There's actually WP:REDUNDANCY (T-H-L) in the MOS which says not to write lead sentences like that, but it is routinely ignored.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:40 pm

Articles about nations at individual paralympics are gold mine for crap (a crap mine?). Obviously small nations are best. Although Cape Verde at the 2016 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L) is rated as a good article. Just some gems to get you started:

Macau at the 1996 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L)
One male athlete from Macau competed at the 1996 Summer Paralympics in Atlanta, United States.[1]
Macau at the 2000 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L)
There were 1 female and 1 male athletes representing the country at the 2000 Summer Paralympics.[1]
Qatar at the 1996 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L)
One male athlete from Qatar competed at the 1996 Summer Paralympics in Atlanta, United States.[1]
Qatar at the 2000 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L)
Qatar competed at the 2000 Summer Paralympics in Sydney, Australia. 3 competitors from Qatar won no medals to finish joint 69th in the medal table along with all other countries who failed to win medals.[1]
Lesotho at the 2000 Summer Paralympics (T-H-L)
Lesotho competed at the 2000 Summer Paralympics. Making their Paralympic debut at the Sydney, Australia hosted Games, they were represented by two athletes.
Team
Lesotho made their Paralympic debut at the 2000 Games.[1] There were 1 female and 1 male athletes representing the country at the 2000 Summer Paralympics.[1][2]

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:50 pm

Corinna Dentoni (T-H-L) has zero sources, consists mostly of tables and characterizes Dentoni as "an inactive Italian tennis player". Not sure what an "inactive tennis player" is. According to :it:Corinna Dentoni (T-H-L) she "stopped playing" in 2017, then in 2019 "returned two years after her retirement". Apparently in 2020 she said she would concentrate on national tennis instead of international tennis. Since 2022 she seems to be playing international tournaments again.
Of particular note is the section "Biography" where the author couldn't even be bothered to write in full sentences:
Biography
Father played volleyball in Italian league. Started playing at age seven because her best friend played tennis. She has been training in Rome. Favorite surface is clay, her favorite tournament is French Open. Her tennis idol was Kim Clijsters.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:00 pm

Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) at first glance looks pretty good, although one should be suspicious when the en.wp version of the article is far and away the longest. But then there's this passage:
His original name, as given in his baptism certificate, was Reinhold Ernest Glier.[4] About 1900 he changed the spelling and pronunciation of his surname to Glière, which gave rise to the legend, stated by Leonid Sabaneyev for the first time (1927), of his French or Belgian descent.[5]
Some of this may be true, but when one learns that his birthplace was "Kiev, Kiev Governorate, Russian Empire", alarm bells should start ringing: why would his birth certificate be in Latin letters? Well, of the two sources given, the second is in fact a dissertation, in English, and is quite short; the first is a Russian journal article published in the last few years of the CCCP, and is unobtainable online that Ming can see. None of this should inspire confidence.

The key to all of this is the detail that his father was not Ukrainian: he was from Saxony, which is to say, he was German. Therefore, assuming he followed normal German orthography, he would have pronounced his surname "Gleer". However, transliterated into Russian, it was at some point turned into "Глиэр", and in this spelling, the two vowels get pronounced separately, and indeed you get something vaguely like "Glee-air" (the second vowel is actually more like "yeh"). However, in this we have changed orthography again, because now we're in French.

The Russian article has an image of Glière's signature, which is unsurprisingly in Cyrillic. He at least didn't spell his name "Glière". So who did? Your guess is as good as Ming's.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:29 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:00 pm
Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) at first glance looks pretty good...
This part of the article could fit in the "personal touches" thread:
His symphonic idiom, which combined broad Slavonic epics with cantabile lyricism, is governed by rich, colourful harmony, bright and well-balanced orchestral colours and perfect traditional forms. Obviously this secured his acceptance by Tsarist and Soviet authorities, at the same time creating resentment from many composers who suffered intensely under the Soviet regime. As the last genuine representative of the pre-revolutionary national Russian school, i.e. a 'living classic', Glière was immune to the standard reproach of "formalism" (mostly equivalent to "modernity" or "bourgeois decadence"). Thus the infamous events of 1936 and 1948 passed Glière by.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:38 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:00 pm
Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) at first glance looks pretty good, although one should be suspicious when the en.wp version of the article is far and away the longest. But then there's this passage:
His original name, as given in his baptism certificate, was Reinhold Ernest Glier.[4] About 1900 he changed the spelling and pronunciation of his surname to Glière, which gave rise to the legend, stated by Leonid Sabaneyev for the first time (1927), of his French or Belgian descent.[5]
Some of this may be true, but when one learns that his birthplace was "Kiev, Kiev Governorate, Russian Empire", alarm bells should start ringing: why would his birth certificate be in Latin letters? Well, of the two sources given, the second is in fact a dissertation, in English, and is quite short; the first is a Russian journal article published in the last few years of the CCCP, and is unobtainable online that Ming can see. None of this should inspire confidence.

The key to all of this is the detail that his father was not Ukrainian: he was from Saxony, which is to say, he was German. Therefore, assuming he followed normal German orthography, he would have pronounced his surname "Gleer". However, transliterated into Russian, it was at some point turned into "Глиэр", and in this spelling, the two vowels get pronounced separately, and indeed you get something vaguely like "Glee-air" (the second vowel is actually more like "yeh"). However, in this we have changed orthography again, because now we're in French.

The Russian article has an image of Glière's signature, which is unsurprisingly in Cyrillic. He at least didn't spell his name "Glière". So who did? Your guess is as good as Ming's.
:de:Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) uses the same sources to claim that he changed the Latin spelling of his name.
:fr:Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) does not mention the change and just calls him Glière (although it mention his fathers name "Moritz Glier" without noting the discrepancy).

According to this website the baptismal certificate is bilingual Russian and German. It also says that he was baptized in the "Protestant Lutheran Church of Kiev by Preacher O. Koenigsfeldt". There is a German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ukraine. So it is not implausible that the certificate was bilingual. This subpage says that he used the French spelling "Glière" as an artist's name since about 1900.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:38 pm
:de:Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) uses the same sources to claim that he changed the Latin spelling of his name.
:fr:Reinhold Glière (T-H-L) does not mention the change and just calls him Glière (although it mention his fathers name "Moritz Glier" without noting the discrepancy).

According to this website the baptismal certificate is bilingual Russian and German. It also says that he was baptized in the "Protestant Lutheran Church of Kiev by Preacher O. Koenigsfeldt". There is a German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ukraine. So it is not implausible that the certificate was bilingual. This subpage says that he used the French spelling "Glière" as an artist's name since about 1900.
Ming isn't getting much help on this baptismal certificate. If it were bilingual, there is still the issue of what the Cyrillic version said: if it's not different from what he later used, then the answer would seem to probably be that he took the French spelling at least in part to get people to pronounce his name right, and possibly also to de-emphasize his family's Germanic origins.

The problem for the naive English-reader is that the subtlety that this involves transliteration to and from Cyrillic isn't explained and is likely to go over the head of those unaware that there's more than one alphabet and who don't catch the the German pronunciation was always different. And an awful lot of this rides on that one музыка article.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:12 pm

Split networks (T-H-L)
For a given set of taxa like X, and a set of splits S on X, usually together with a non-negative weighting, which may represent character changes distance, or may also have a more abstract interpretation, if the set of splits S is compatible, then it can be represented by an unrooted phylogenetic tree and each edge in the tree corresponds to exactly one of the splits.[clarification needed] More generally, S can always be represented by a split network,[1] which is an unrooted phylogenetic network with the property that every split s in S is represented by an array of parallel edges in the network.

A split network N can be obtained from a number of different types of data:

Split networks from distances
Split networks from trees
Split networks from sequences
Split networks from quartets
Tagged for missing inline citations and being too technical since 2012.
I love the opening: "For a given set of taxa like X ...". It treats X as a concrete example instead of what it is, a variable.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 am

rnu wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:12 pm
Split networks (T-H-L)
Wow, that's next-level impenetrable. There isn't much for the layperson to even work out what the topic is about (before following some links, I'd have guessed mathematics or computer networks)

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:06 am

Have some tea and a biscuit with your crap: the lead of It's April Again (T-H-L):
"It's April Again" (also known as "The Song from Moulin Rouge" and "Where Is Your Heart") is a popular song that first appeared in the 1952 film Moulin Rouge. It became a No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart when recorded by Mantovani.[1] The music for the film was written by Georges Auric; the original French lyrics were by Jacques Larue, with the English words by William Engvick. The Auric-Engvick song was published in 1953.[2]
OK, well, it's a British film, maybe the song didn't do so well in the US? Well, no, actually:
The most popular version of the song in America was made by Percy Faith's Orchestra, with a vocal by Felicia Sanders. The recording by Faith and Sanders was made on January 22, 1953, and released by Columbia Records in both 78 and 45 rpm single formats (catalog numbers 39944 and 4-39944, respectively). It first reached the Billboard chart on March 28, 1953 and lasted 24 weeks on the chart, peaking at No. 1, where it spent ten weeks.[4] This version finished as the No. 1 song for 1953, according to Billboard.
The Mantovani version also charted in the U.S., released by London Records (catalog number 1328). It first reached the Billboard chart on May 16, 1953 and lasted five weeks on the chart, peaking at No. 13.[4]
As it happens, this is a very old article. Here's the first version in its entirety, from 23 June 2005:
"The Song from Moulin Rouge" (also known as "Where Is Your Heart")is a popular song, first appearing in the 1953 movie, Moulin Rouge.

The music was written by Georges Aurie, the words by William Engvick.

The most popular version of the song was done ny Percy Faith's Orchestra, with a vocal by Felicia Sanders, which reached #1 on the Billboard chart in 1953.
The article hewed to this, more or less, until 14 July 2021‎, when TrottieTrue (T-C-L) got their hands on it. TT is " a Wikipedia user and editor based in England, United Kingdom, interested in politics, music, film and British culture in general."

Of course no version of the article gives any idea of what the song is about or the context in which it is sung in the movie, thoughit is carefully noted that Muriel Smith (singer) (T-H-L) (who has to be so distinguished from a minor Manitoban politician) did a Marni Nixon on Zsa Zsa. Perhaps not incidentally, we get another crumpet moment when Smith's article begins by saying
She is perhaps best known in the UK for her 1953 #3 hit single, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me",[1] which was first covered in 1965 by Mel Carter (and which remains a staple of easy listening and oldies radio to this day) and later in 1994 by Gloria Estefan.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:17 am

Mojito wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 am
rnu wrote:
Split networks (T-H-L)
Wow, that's next-level impenetrable. There isn't much for the layperson to even work out what the topic is about (before following some links, I'd have guessed mathematics or computer networks)
It looks to me like a "split" is a pair of trees (in the sense used in phylogenetics (T-H-L)) obtained from one parent tree by removing a single edge, and a split network is a collection of such pairs of trees. The first paragraph of the Wikipedia article is lifted almost verbatim (without acknowledgement, naturally) from p.25 of this paper:
Daniel H. Huson and Celine Scornavacca wrote: Let X be a set of taxa and assume that we are given a set of ‘‘splits’’ S on X, usually with a ‘‘weighting’’ that assigns a nonnegative weight to each split, which may represent character changes or distances or may also have a more abstract interpretation. If the set of splits S* is ‘‘compatible,’’ then it can be represented by an unrooted phylogenetic tree, and each edge in the tree corresponds to exactly one of the splits (Buneman 1971). More generally, S** can always be represented by a ‘‘split network,’’ which is an unrooted phylogenetic network with the property that every split S in S is represented by an array of parallel edges in N.

* In Huson & Scornavacca's paper this symbol appears in calligraphic rather than bold italic font.

** This looks to me like it should be S rather than S.
While Huson & Scornavacca's paper is listed in the "Further reading" section of the Wikipedia article, it isn't cited as the source of the first paragraph (or of anything else in the article), and since nothing from the preceding 2 and a bit pages of context from their paper is included in the article, it's hardly surprising that it's almost totally incomprehensible.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:45 pm

Mojito wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 am
rnu wrote:
Split networks (T-H-L)
It pretty much is. It is just some Graph theory (T-H-L) that is applicable to taxonomy because a Phylogenetic network (T-H-L) and by extension a Phylogenetic tree (T-H-L) are graphs. And of course it would also be applicable to computer networks if they have the right structure.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm

Today I learned that there is a List of films that most frequently use the word fuck (T-H-L).

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:16 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm
Today I learned that there is a List of films that most frequently use the word fuck (T-H-L).
It seems to have had a turbulent history.

Whether or not the subject met LISTN originally, it probably does now on account of the article having been "mentioned by multiple media organizations." Self-fulfilling notability.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:25 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm
That's not really a "crap article," though... it's more of a "fuck article." Besides, it's probably good that someone is keeping track of this stuff.

I just hope they don't delete the List of films featuring powered exoskeletons (T-H-L), since it's so handy to refer to when I go out on a first date and the gal asks me if there are any movies that might give her an idea of what living with me could conceivably be like.

Smultronstället
Regular

Unread post by Smultronstället » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:17 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:25 pm
I just hope they don't delete the List of films featuring powered exoskeletons (T-H-L), since it's so handy to refer to when I go out on a first date and the gal asks me if there are any movies that might give her an idea of what living with me could conceivably be like.
Huh. With me it's more laughing to myself with Andraé Crouch on in the background, sometimes Dave Brubeck.
All that's needed is humility, prayer, fasting, Bible reading, patient endurance, and true faith in and obedience to Jesus. Correct belief adheres strictly to the Bible neither omitting nor adding to the Word of God. There are no secrets.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Artashumara (T-H-L)
Artashumara[1] (Mittani Aryan: Artasmara;[2][3] Akkadian: Artašumara[4]) was a pretender to the throne of Mitanni in the fourteenth century BC.
Name

The name Artašumara is the Akkadian form of the Mittani Aryan name Artasmara, which is a cognate of the Vedic Sanskrit term ऋतस्मर (Ṛta-smara), meaning "he remembers Ṛta".[2][3]
Reign

He is known only from a single mention in a tablet found in Tell Brak "Artassumara the king, son of Shuttarna the king" and a mention in Amarna letter 17.[5][6] According to the later, after the death of Shuttarna II he briefly took power but was then murdered (by someone named Tuhi) and succeeded by his brother Tushratta[7][8]
There is no indication in the article why he is called a "pretender to the throne" in the lead.
List of rulers of Mitanni (T-H-L) and Mitanni#Mitanni_rulers (T-H-L) (there is no reason to have the list twice) both list him as king.
Tushratta (T-H-L) says that he was king.
Shuttarna II (T-H-L) keeps things open:
He was succeeded by his son, Tushratta, or possibly Artashumara, under dubious circumstances.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:47 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:37 pm
Artashumara (T-H-L)
Artashumara[1] (Mittani Aryan: Artasmara;[2][3] Akkadian: Artašumara[4]) was a pretender to the throne of Mitanni in the fourteenth century BC.
Name

The name Artašumara is the Akkadian form of the Mittani Aryan name Artasmara, which is a cognate of the Vedic Sanskrit term ऋतस्मर (Ṛta-smara), meaning "he remembers Ṛta".[2][3]
Reign

He is known only from a single mention in a tablet found in Tell Brak "Artassumara the king, son of Shuttarna the king" and a mention in Amarna letter 17.[5][6] According to the later, after the death of Shuttarna II he briefly took power but was then murdered (by someone named Tuhi) and succeeded by his brother Tushratta[7][8]
There is no indication in the article why he is called a "pretender to the throne" in the lead.
List of rulers of Mitanni (T-H-L) and Mitanni#Mitanni_rulers (T-H-L) (there is no reason to have the list twice) both list him as king.
Tushratta (T-H-L) says that he was king.
Shuttarna II (T-H-L) keeps things open:
He was succeeded by his son, Tushratta, or possibly Artashumara, under dubious circumstances.
:like:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm

PandaVision (T-H-L)
PandaVision (Dutch: PandaDroom, translation: PandaDream) was a 4-D film shown in the Dutch theme park Efteling, sponsored by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). It was inaugurated on 19 June 2002 by Prince Bernhard. The attraction closed in 2019.[1]
Pre-show

In a large waiting hall, a 15-minute movie about the WWF was projected on screens.
Main show

With the 3D spectacles provided, a maximum of 400 visitors entered the main theater. During the next 12 minutes, the movie Dream of the Panda took the visitor to the North Pole, ocean and jungle which are, according to the movie, all in the gravest of dangers and only the power of the WWF can save them now.

The movie was made by Movetrix NWave Pictures and had special simulation effects like moving seats, splashing water, blowing wind and a 1000 kg tree branch (made by the Stakebrand company) that falls into the audience.
After the movie
After movie the guests could have a look at some more WWF material, and children could play in a WWF playground while their parents signed up for the WWF.
Weird mix between promotional language, distancing language and a weirdly ominous final sentence.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:42 pm

Toe board (T-H-L)
I'm not saying the subject isn't important. Roof work is dangerous, people fall off roofs, and often homeowners work on their own roofs. But the sourcing is a bit skimpy. Two sources, one not mentioning toe boards at all.

The photo shows firefighters and I'm not sure there's even a toe board in the photo. But I guess it's ok as the article has been up since 2011.
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use the Tags, Luke!

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 am

charliemouse wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:42 pm
Toe board (T-H-L)
I'm not saying the subject isn't important. Roof work is dangerous, people fall off roofs, and often homeowners work on their own roofs. But the sourcing is a bit skimpy. Two sources, one not mentioning toe boards at all.

The photo shows firefighters and I'm not sure there's even a toe board in the photo. But I guess it's ok as the article has been up since 2011.
Perhaps they could flesh it out by adding the colloquial “trip board”…
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 am

Donald Sawyer (T-H-L)
Donald Sawyer is a film director, currently residing in Westfield, New Jersey.[1] He is best known for directing the controversial 2009 documentary, 'The Eyes Have Frozen Open: The Fall of the Kroner'. The film chronicling the financial crisis in Iceland met harsh reviews at the 2010 Boulder International Film Festival. Critics have cited its depiction of certain British banks as being succubi on the economy of Iceland as "over-the-top and defamatory."
It's mostly unchanged since it was created in 2011. The schedule for the 2010 Boulder International Film Festival doesn't mention the film he supposedly directed. Neither does the Daily Camera, which is used as a reference. Probably fake.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:22 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 am
charliemouse wrote:
Toe board (T-H-L)

"Trip board"?
I don't understand why they need this article at all.
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:00 pm

charliemouse wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:22 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
charliemouse wrote:
Toe board (T-H-L)

"Trip board"?
I don’t see why they need this article, either. It’s a dictionary entry, perhaps, or a line or two in an article about roofs or roofing. The “trip board” is an actual nickname, which says volumes about why OSHA, with all its faults, is a very useful thing.
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:23 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:00 pm
charliemouse wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:22 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
charliemouse wrote:
Toe board (T-H-L)

"Trip board"?
I don’t see why they need this article, either. It’s a dictionary entry, perhaps, or a line or two in an article about roofs or roofing. The “trip board” is an actual nickname, which says volumes about why OSHA, with all its faults, is a very useful thing.
I googled trip board and couldn't find anything.

Articles on safety-related topics require better sourcing than this one has.
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: taaaaag

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 am

I saw that the Ram Mandir (T-H-L) in Ayodhya was "opening" soon, and wondered what Wikipedia had to say about it.

I was not particularly surprised by how bad the article was. The "controversies" section, as always, is the worst.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:27 am

List of international marriages among Olympic and Paralympic competitors (T-H-L)

Ming can just imagine the "Up close and personal" segments in ABC's coverage back in the day. Ming also is wondering when marriages got divided into "Same Sex" and "other".

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:32 am

Pataugas (T-H-L) a word the article appears to claim is French for “splasher.” The company appears to be going out of business, or at least pulling in its horns considerable, but Wiki has not noticed.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:53 am

White market (T-H-L)
Some libertarian wrote:The white market is the legal, official, authorized, or intended market for goods and services. The white market in some goods, such as adoption of children, has been criticized as being inefficient due to government regulation.[1] In other instances, such as the sale of cannabis in the United States, there are both white and black markets due inconsistent laws between the different states and the federal government.

It is distinct from the black market of illegally trafficked goods and the grey market, in which commodities are distributed through channels which, while legal, are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer. It is also sometimes distinguished from the pink market of state-sanctioned, but immoral activities, such as wars of aggression, and the red market of immoral activities banned by the state.[citation needed]
Needs to be broken up for scrap and hauled off.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:55 am

orangepi wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 am
I saw that the Ram Mandir (T-H-L) in Ayodhya was "opening" soon, and wondered what Wikipedia had to say about it.

I was not particularly surprised by how bad the article was. The "controversies" section, as always, is the worst.
I watched the opening and consecration live to see if anyone blew it up with Modi inside. Lost a $10 bet.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:38 pm

Ming wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:27 am
List of international marriages among Olympic and Paralympic competitors (T-H-L)

Ming can just imagine the "Up close and personal" segments in ABC's coverage back in the day. Ming also is wondering when marriages got divided into "Same Sex" and "other".
I've seen more than one interview with Olympic or Paralympic athletes where the interviewer was mostly interested in whether or not people fuck around in the Olympic village. And I remember a "minor scandal" (aka a few uptight people got their panties in a bunch) when at one of the games the athletes were provided with free condoms.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 am

Butter board (T-H-L)
A butter board is a dish consisting of soft butter, spread over a wooden cutting board, and sprinkled with condiments, ingredients and edible decorations such as salt, pepper, chili flakes, honey, lemon zest, fruit or vegetable slices, herbs or edible flowers. The dish is served with slices of bread and eaten communally as diners scrape the butter off the board and spread it on their bread.

The butter board first appeared in the 2017 cookbook Six Seasons: A New Way With Vegetables by Joshua McFadden. It was popularized in 2022 by a viral video on TikTok by the food blogger Justine Doiron, who media credited with spreading the butter board trend.
World's worst charcuterie board.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

JarrBarr
Critic

Unread post by JarrBarr » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am

Zoloft wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 am
Butter board (T-H-L)

1. It must carry an FDA cholesterol warning
2. I guess restaurants will still charge something like $20 for that because why not?
3. If butter board is bad, what about margarine board?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:13 pm

JarrBarr wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am
Zoloft wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 am
Butter board (T-H-L)

1. It must carry an FDA cholesterol warning
2. I guess restaurants will still charge something like $20 for that because why not?
3. If butter board is bad, what about margarine board?
I have seen Liver wurst (T-H-L) on a charcuterie board, spread in a floral pattern.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone