Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:29 am

rnu
Habitué

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by rnu » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:58 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:29 am
List of battles 1301–1600 (T-H-L)
In true Wikipedia fashion there are multiple of these lists for different time periods plus extra lists for naval battles and sieges and each has its own format. "Local consensus" at its best/worst.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:59 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:58 pm
In true Wikipedia fashion there are multiple of these lists for different time periods plus extra lists for naval battles and sieges and each has its own format. "Local consensus" at its best/worst.
Provided the membership of a WIkiproject has a decent proportion of the people who work in a particular subject area and they let non-members they see doing more than gnomish edits know that they are welcome to join, then the project is really the best level at which to decide local consensus.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:56 pm

Rupperswil murder case (T-H-L)
An article about the 2015 murder of four people in Switzerland. Given that the perpetrator is still alive this falls under WP:BLP. Nevertheless, the only statement with a reference is "It is one of the most notable crime cases in recent Swiss history,". The source for the statement is the Swiss tabloid Blick (T-H-L). Outside the German speaking sphere Blick is probably best known for this photo manipulation in its reporting on the Luxor massacre (T-H-L):
They took the picture on the right and colored the water red calling it "Blutspur des Grauens" ("blood trail of horror"). User:Jo-Jo Eumerus (T-C-L) has brought up the lack of references on the BLP noticeboard. It has been tagged as needing references since May 2016.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:56 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:58 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:29 am
List of battles 1301–1600 (T-H-L)
yeah my quarrel with that article is scope, really. It would be more useful as list of battles in Europe, or india or North America, and even at that, it isn't a closed set and can probably never be truly finished. I am willing to bet that the talk page is full of discussions about what is a battle versus a massacre or a skirmish. I also think that lists, generally, cause more problems than they are worth. For example "list of national anthems": what do you do about places that aren't really countries but act like they are anyway, like Quebec and Texas?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:58 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:56 pm
An article about the 2015 murder of four people in Switzerland. Given that the perpetrator is still alive this falls under WP:BLP. Nevertheless, the only statement with a reference is "It is one of the most notable crime cases in recent Swiss history,". The source for the statement is the Swiss tabloid Blick (T-H-L). Outside the German speaking sphere Blick is probably best known for this photo manipulation in its reporting on the Luxor massacre (T-H-L):
They took the picture on the right and colored the water red calling it "Blutspur des Grauens" ("blood trail of horror"). User:Jo-Jo Eumerus (T-C-L) has brought up the lack of references on the BLP noticeboard. It has been tagged as needing references since May 2016.
BLP!E no?

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:35 am

if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am

Barnacullian (T-H-L)
Barnacullia meaning top of the wood. is a mountain in Dublin County , Ireland. At 714 metres (2,306 ft) it is the 14th highest mountain in the Dublin Mountains. It is located just north of Wicklow Mountains National Park.population Is small. One of the best Places bring up a family .
Has been around since 2010. Earlier this year an IP decided to "correct" the spelling at the beginning of the article, but not in the infobox or in the article title from "Barnacullian" to "Barnacullia" and for some inexplicable reason decided that it should be red-linked.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 am

rnu wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am
Barnacullian (T-H-L)
Barnacullia meaning top of the wood. is a mountain in Dublin County , Ireland. At 714 metres (2,306 ft) it is the 14th highest mountain in the Dublin Mountains. It is located just north of Wicklow Mountains National Park.population Is small. One of the best Places bring up a family .
Has been around since 2010. Earlier this year an IP decided to "correct" the spelling at the beginning of the article, but not in the infobox or in the article title from "Barnacullian" to "Barnacullia" and for some inexplicable reason decided that it should be red-linked.
It burns, my precious

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:52 pm

That's why a lot of people think that infoboxes are crap.

There is the potential for technical solutions to the inconsistency problem. Some combination of sophisticated AI or tightening (and enforcing)the manual of style might allow for the content of infoboxes to be generated. Or conversely certain the AI could generate an opening sentence from the infobox. But allowing anyone to edit articles which say the same thing twice inevitably lead to the article to say that someone's hair colour is both black and white or some such.

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:31 pm

I hear about infobox wars in the past - can someone here explain what that was all about?

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:41 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:31 pm
I hear about infobox wars in the past - can someone here explain what that was all about?
maybe this Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2013-10-02/Arbitration report (T-H-L)
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm

ltbdl wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:41 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:
Who knew? I never gave them much thought.

Anything happen since 2013? Any consensus evolve on the topic? Do people still fight over them?

P.S., Thanks for the good summary.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:24 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm
ltbdl wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:41 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:
Who knew? I never gave them much thought.

Anything happen since 2013? Any consensus evolve on the topic? Do people still fight over them?

This is Wikipedia. People fight over everything.

Personally, I'd not have an issue with them if they only contained information. Too often they don't. They contain opinion instead, in a manner that misrepresents it as objective data. That's when they don't contain outright fiction/vandalism - vandals find them an easy target. Disinfoboxes...

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:05 am

They've been fighting for like a decade at [[War of 1812]] over what the outcome was
Even Deathlibrarian (T-C-L) gave up

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:34 pm

SamX wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:59 am
Women in South Korea (T-H-L) - Mishmash of original research, poorly written prose that was probably fed through Google Translate, and (until recently) copyright violations. The same appears to be true of just about the entire topic area of modern South Korean society.
Speaking of "Women in..." articles, I recently encountered Women in rock (T-H-L) that was linked from some other article I was checking out and thought this could be an entry for this thread. I also looked at who started the article and found out they started a bunch of other not-so-great "Women in..." articles. The editor does say they want more female representation in WP and good for them but I don't know if this is the way to do that.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:32 am

Just look at this pile of poo someone created to prove a point. Ruslan_Kotsaba (T-H-L)

Another one Vita Zaverukha (T-H-L)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 am

Bihag (T-H-L)

languishing unedited since 2013, completely incomprehensible. Except, perhaps, to someone familiar with raga (T-H-L). I can't even tell if it's valuable information if you have that background, or simply incomprehensible. But ten years is long enough to linger like this. Isn't there a music project somewhere that would love to work on this?

Halp :hrmph: :facepalm:

later: I found Project Indian music and posted this there, but it doesn't seem to be very high-traffic, and other ideas are welcome
Last edited by Elinruby on Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 am

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 am
Bihag (T-H-L)

languishing unedited since 2013, completely incomprehensible. Except, perhaps, to someone familiar with raga (T-H-L). I can't even tell if it's valuable information if you have that background, or simply incomprehensible. But ten years is long enough to linger like this. Isn't there a music project somewhere that would love to work on this?

Halp :hrmph: :facepalm:
I looked at a few other articles on ragas. They aren't really more comprehensible, but at least they are shorter.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 am

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm

Special:Search?fulltext=Search+archives&fulltext=Search&prefix=Talk%3AWar+of+1812%2F&search=infobox&ns0=1 (T-H-L)
:deadhorse:
Consensus: Don't go in there or TFD (T-C-L) will take you to ANI. Only nationalists question whether the United States won, you know.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:02 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:56 pm
References have now been added. With Yngvadottir (T-C-L) arguing for the use of the tabloid Blick for information on how the perpetrator was caught.

Edit: The article in question is from 2020. In that year's rating of the 49 most important news sources in Switzerland Blick was 48th. They proudly reported that they made the biggest improvement of all listed sources compared to 2018 (when they were dead last). They did not mention their position in the ranking, though. I wonder why.

MadManz
Gregarious

Unread post by MadManz » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:01 pm

Negative and positive rights (T-H-L) - no real lede, not written like an encyclopedia article (beginning a sentence in the first paragraph with "So"), potentially confusing

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:36 pm

Birotron (T-H-L)

Jesus H Christ, where do I start?

I would quote some of the unreferenced drivel in the second paragraph, but as far as I can tell, that's a copyright violation of http://www.synth-db.com/synths/Birotron/B90/B90.php so you can just read it there.

When I tried to clean it up some time back and add some actual reliable sources, I was reverted with the charming edit summary of "Leave the article alone please". Nice bit of WP:OWNership there.

Sorry, most of you won't be able to see the article as I've speedy deleted it and started a thread at ANI to review that.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:15 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:36 pm
Birotron (T-H-L)

I would quote some of the unreferenced drivel in the second paragraph, but as far as I can tell, that's a copyright violation of http://www.synth-db.com/synths/Birotron/B90/B90.php so you can just read it there.

When I tried to clean it up some time back and add some actual reliable sources, I was reverted with the charming edit summary of "Leave the article alone please". Nice bit of WP:OWNership there.

Sorry, most of you won't be able to see the article as I've speedy deleted it and started a thread at ANI to review that.
What use is that, I ask ya?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:36 pm
Birotron (T-H-L)

Available at https://wikimili.com/en/Birotron
Despite the skilled talents of the manufacturing team, (such as Emerson/McCartney Moog technician Phil Pearce who designed the attack / decay electronics), and a man by the name of 'Roger Rogers' who worked on furthering the electronics, tape process, design, and production engineering, delays in actual production arose due to issues that became time consuming to solve properly.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:20 am

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:42 am

History of elephants in Europe (T-H-L) I am really not sure what the point of this article is, it's a largely unsourced random collection of anecdotes.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:57 am

Another lede from the Wikipedia 'say it twice to define it' sausage machine:
The kilometre per hour (SI symbol: km/h; non-standard abbreviations: kph, km/hr) is a unit of speed, expressing the number of kilometres travelled in one hour.
As to whether one needs an article at all for something as mundane as a unit of velocity, opinions probably differ.

DFlhb
Contributor
Wikipedia User: DFlhb

Unread post by DFlhb » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:12 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:57 am
The kilometre per hour (SI symbol: km/h; non-standard abbreviations: kph, km/hr) is a unit of speed, expressing the number of kilometres travelled in one hour.
As to whether one needs an article at all for something as mundane as a unit of velocity, opinions probably differ.
Peep the very dumb debate on the talk page, where one user argues that there can be "no central authority to dictate the rules for [SI] abbreviations" because human language can't be regulated. (I don't endorse "non-standard abbreviations" in the lead though, too clunky). He got dragged to ANI multiple times since then, but I didn't have the patience to make a case for WP:CIR.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:34 pm

DFlhb wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:12 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
Peep the very dumb debate on the talk page, where one user argues that there can be "no central authority to dictate the rules for [SI] abbreviations" because human language can't be regulated. (I don't endorse "non-standard abbreviations" in the lead though, too clunky). He got dragged to ANI multiple times since then, but I didn't have the patience to make a case for WP:CIR.
Well, with a user name like DeFacto (T-C-L) he practically has to seek out the dumbest ways to deny the existence of facts.

The saddest part about the definition is that even though it seems to be tautological it manages to be just plain wrong. As defined by Wikipedia km/h would only be applicable to travels of exactly one hour. Additionally it would not measure speed, but distance. km/h is a unit of speed that expresses how many kilometres something would travel within one hour if it traveled at constant speed.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:44 pm

...with a user name like DeFacto (T-C-L) he practically has to seek out the dumbest ways to deny the existence of facts.
Indeed. DeFacto was one of couple of contributors who objected to Edward Colston, deputy governor of the Royal African Company being described as 'a slave trader' in the Wikipedia biography. Instead, he preferred the mealy-mouthed 'was involved in the Atlantic slave trade', as if it was a mere side-line, or something Colson did by accident.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:01 pm

María_Sefidari (T-H-L)

The lede
María Sefidari Huici (born 1982) is a psychologist, teacher, and specialist in Spanish digital communications and culture.
Is unsupported by any sources.

* A psychologist requires specialized degrees and certification. (pic)
* Teacher, in the vernacular, requires that you teach more than one non-credit course as a 'visiting lecturer'. It also appears you need advanced and targeted coursework.
* There is nothing in any source I could find to support the assertion that she is a 'specialist in Spanish digital communications and culture'.

In short, the lede is pure fiction.

LOL!
The edit to this BLP was done by and IPv6 and let stand by en.wp for 4 months.

This was the only edit by the IPv6

Even though the IPv6 says Germany, I've got a shiny dollar says this edit was either Laura Hale or Maria Sefidari.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:45 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
The kilometre per hour (SI symbol: km/h; non-standard abbreviations: kph, km/hr).
See the underlined bit above.

Hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself here, but km/h isn't an SI unit, right? Therefore it doesn't have an SI symbol?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:11 pm

Mojito wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:45 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
The kilometre per hour (SI symbol: km/h; non-standard abbreviations: kph, km/hr).
See the underlined bit above.

Hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself here, but km/h isn't an SI unit, right? Therefore it doesn't have an SI symbol?
Velocity is a derived unit in the SI system. And since the second and the metre are base units, it should be expressed in metres per second: m/s (or, for picky mathematicians, on a forum that supports it, m s with a '-1' superscript following)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:53 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:01 pm
María_Sefidari (T-H-L)

The lede
María Sefidari Huici (born 1982) is a psychologist, teacher, and specialist in Spanish digital communications and culture.
Is unsupported by any sources.

* A psychologist requires specialized degrees and certification. (pic)
* Teacher, in the vernacular, requires that you teach more than one non-credit course as a 'visiting lecturer'. It also appears you need advanced and targeted coursework.
* There is nothing in any source I could find to support the assertion that she is a 'specialist in Spanish digital communications and culture'.

In short, the lede is pure fiction.

LOL!
The edit to this BLP was done by and IPv6 and let stand by en.wp for 4 months.

This was the only edit by the IPv6

Even though the IPv6 says Germany, I've got a shiny dollar says this edit was either Laura Hale or Maria Sefidari.
Once again, Yngvadottir does a good deed.

There should be no IP editing of BLPs.
There should be pending changes on all BLPs.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:56 am

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:29 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
If they get rid of the article, would it be a speedy deletion?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Jochspitze (T-H-L)
Jochspitze is a mountain of Bavaria, Germany.
Last edited by a Slowking sock in 2020, created by a sock in 2010, who was also probably Slowking.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:58 pm

tarantino wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm
Jochspitze (T-H-L)
Last edited by a Slowking sock in 2020, created by a sock in 2010, who was also probably Slowking.
It is actually exactly at the border between Bavaria, Germany and Tyrol, Austria.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:48 am

tarantino wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm
Jochspitze (T-H-L)
Wikipedia:Pages needing translation into English/Articles by user/Slowking4 (T-H-L)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am

Cebrenii (T-H-L)
Cebrenii (Greek: Κεβρήνιοι) is the name of a Thracian tribe, they are mentioned by Polyaenus[1] and Strabo.

References
1. Polyaenus: Stratagems - BOOK 7: The generals of the Cebrenii and Sycaeboae, two Thracian tribes, were chosen from among the priests of Hera. Cosingas, according to the tradition of the country, was elected to be their priest and general; but the army took some objection to him, and refused to obey him. To suppress the rebelliousness that had taken hold of the troops, Cosingas built a number of long ladders, and fastened them one to another. He then put out a report, that he had decided to climb up to heaven, in order to inform Hera of the disobedience of the Thracians. The Thracians, who are notoriously stupid and ridiculous, were terrified by the idea of their general's intended journey, and the resulting wrath of heaven. They implored him not to carry out his plan, and they promised with an oath to obey all of his future commands.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:29 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
If they get rid of the article, would it be a speedy deletion?
:applause:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am

Várong (T-H-L)
Várong is a village in Tolna county, Hungary. A few vikings from Russia were settled here.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:12 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am
Cebrenii (T-H-L)
Cebrenii (Greek: Κεβρήνιοι) is the name of a Thracian tribe, they are mentioned by Polyaenus[1] and Strabo.

References
1. Polyaenus: Stratagems - BOOK 7: The generals of the Cebrenii and Sycaeboae, two Thracian tribes, were chosen from among the priests of Hera. Cosingas, according to the tradition of the country, was elected to be their priest and general; but the army took some objection to him, and refused to obey him. To suppress the rebelliousness that had taken hold of the troops, Cosingas built a number of long ladders, and fastened them one to another. He then put out a report, that he had decided to climb up to heaven, in order to inform Hera of the disobedience of the Thracians. The Thracians, who are notoriously stupid and ridiculous, were terrified by the idea of their general's intended journey, and the resulting wrath of heaven. They implored him not to carry out his plan, and they promised with an oath to obey all of his future commands.
somebody is unclear on the concept

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:46 pm

Goo-goos (T-H-L).

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:19 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:46 pm
Goo-goos (T-H-L).

In Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, in telling George about his preferred "parlour", Whit observes that in addition to clean girls, and comfortable chairs, the proprietress (Susy), "Don't let no goo-goos in, neither."
However an earlier version says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Goo-goos&diff=prev&oldid=577725586 wrote:In John Steinbeck's novella, Of Mice and Men, the worker Whit approves of a whore house that doesn't "let no goo-goos in neither." However in that context the phrase refers to Filipinos, a group that worked in large numbers in California in the 1930s.
I haven't read the book, so I don't really know which is right, but the second interpretation seems more likely to me.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:58 am

rnu wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:19 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Goo-goos (T-H-L).

In Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, in telling George about his preferred "parlour", Whit observes that in addition to clean girls, and comfortable chairs, the proprietress (Susy), "Don't let no goo-goos in, neither."
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Goo-goos&diff=prev&oldid=577725586 wrote:In John Steinbeck's novella, Of Mice and Men, the worker Whit approves of a whore house that doesn't "let no goo-goos in neither." However in that context the phrase refers to Filipinos, a group that worked in large numbers in California in the 1930s.
I haven't read the book, so I don't really know which is right, but the second interpret
ation seems more likely to me.
hey, I;m nerdy enough to be interested by this. I also know Central California. Check it out:

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:27 am

rnu wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:19 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Goo-goos (T-H-L).

I haven't read the book, so I don't really know which is right, but the second interpretation seems more likely to me.
The Oxford English Dictionary wrote: 1898– goo-goo, n.
derogatoryand offensive. Originally and chiefly U.S. Military slang (now historical). As a term of contempt or abuse: a Filipino. Later also occasionally used with reference to people from other countries, esp. in the western Pacific region, typically in military contexts (cf. quot. 1951), although this use has largely been superseded by the similarly offensive term gook.
There's nothing in the OED about the term "goo-goo" ever having anything to do with a good government movement. The article is starting to look to me like a hoax.

Update: It now looks like my first impression, that the article is a hoax, was mistaken. Its first reference is available for borrowing from the Internet Archive (although the author's name is James L. Merriner, not "Mariner" as stated in the article). Here's a quotation from the front fly leaf of the book:
Southern Illinois University Press wrote: From Chicago's earliest years in the 1830s, the city welcomed dollar-chasing businessmen and politicians, swiftly followed by reformers who strived to clean up the attendant corruption. Reformers in Chicago were called “goo goos,” a derisive epithet short for “good-government types.”
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.