Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:48 pm

"Assies' Rehab & Tea"?

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 am

I particularly enjoyed the fact that it was AFD'd in 2010, with a verdict of "Merge", and then they just utterly failed to do that at all, removed the tag and carried on editing it. :hamsterwheel:

Talking of crap articles, here's one that left me shaking my head: Album (T-H-L) Utter drivel, mostly... Actually try to read the "History and formats of audio albums" sections. It's like they realise it's a steaming turd of an article, and think just putting some more words in will somehow make it ok.

I think my favourite is "... the Sony Walkman, which allowed the person to personally control what they listen to.", but the way they blather on about the "standard format" of albums by basically pointing out there was actually no such thing is fun too.

Did you know, that: If an album becomes too long to fit a single vinyl record or CD, a recording artist may make the decision to release a double album where two vinyl LPs or compact discs are packaged together in a single case, or a triple album containing three LPs or compact discs.?
whilst Some musical artists have also released more than three compact discs or LP records of new recordings at once, in the form of boxed sets, although in that case the work is still usually considered to be an album.
and that... Compact cassettes also saw the creation of Mixtapes, which are tapes containing a compilation of songs created by any average listener of music.?
Award winning. :blink:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 am

Jim wrote:
I particularly enjoyed the fact that it was AFD'd in 2010, with a verdict of "Merge", and then they just utterly failed to do that at all, removed the tag and carried on editing it. :hamsterwheel:

Talking of crap articles, here's one that left me shaking my head: Album (T-H-L) Utter drivel, mostly... Actually try to read the "History and formats of audio albums" sections. It's like they realise it's a steaming turd of an article, and think just putting some more words in will somehow make it ok.

I think my favourite is "... the Sony Walkman, which allowed the person to personally control what they listen to.", but the way they blather on about the "standard format" of albums by basically pointing out there was actually no such thing is fun too.

Did you know, that: If an album becomes too long to fit a single vinyl record or CD, a recording artist may make the decision to release a double album where two vinyl LPs or compact discs are packaged together in a single case, or a triple album containing three LPs or compact discs.?
whilst Some musical artists have also released more than three
compact discs or LP records of new recordings at once, in the form of boxed sets, although in that case the work is still usually considered to be an album.
and that... Compact cassettes also saw the creation of Mixtapes, which are tapes containing a compilation of songs created by any average listener of music.?

Someone kill me, please.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:35 pm

enwikibadscience wrote: Someone kill me, please.
Well thankfully they've never heard of the Keith Jarrett Sun Bear recordings, otherwise their heads might have exploded.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Jim wrote: I think my favourite is "... the Sony Walkman, which allowed the person to personally control what they listen to.", but the way they blather on about the "standard format" of albums by basically pointing out there was actually no such thing is fun too.
I guess you're not old enough to remember the days of the Government Musical System. We used to have music delivered to our homes in barrels, the contents of which were allocated using a system based on mathematical equations by the boffins at the Ministry of Entertainment. Ah, grand days they were. All the family gathered around the chute in the basement, prybars in hand, waiting for the barrel to be pushed off the cart ("shove us a song, barrelman!" the children would yell) and trundle down to crack it open and pull out its precious cargo of entertainment. We used to bet ha'pennies on what kind of song would be the first to be out; my Da always claimed he could tell what kind of music was inside by tapping the barrel on the seams with a coin. Completely untrue, of course, but he never let us her the end of it when he got it right. He was a good'un, he was, always full of stories about the days he spent working songfields where they stuffed the barrels, after the War. A few years later, when I was older, he took me to one of the bawdy-halls in the East End where the "blue barrels" of illegal songs that had been hidden in fieldmen's pockets were smuggled by sly dock workers. But that's a story for another time.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Hex wrote:
Jim wrote: I think my favourite is "... the Sony Walkman, which allowed the person to personally control what they listen to.", but the way they blather on about the "standard format" of albums by basically pointing out there was actually no such thing is fun too.
I guess you're not old enough to remember the days of the Government Musical System. We used to have music delivered to our homes in barrels, the contents of which were allocated using a system based on mathematical equations by the boffins at the Ministry of Entertainment. Ah, grand days they were. All the family gathered around the chute in the basement, prybars in hand, waiting for the barrel to be pushed off the cart ("shove us a song, barrelman!" the children would yell) and trundle down to crack it open and pull out its precious cargo of entertainment. We used to bet ha'pennies on what kind of song would be the first to be out; my Da always claimed he could tell what kind of music was inside by tapping the barrel on the seams with a coin. Completely untrue, of course, but he never let us her the end of it when he got it right. He was a good'un, he was, always full of stories about the days he spent working songfields where they stuffed the barrels, after the War. A few years later, when I was older, he took me to one of the bawdy-halls in the East End where the "blue barrels" of illegal songs that had been hidden in fieldmen's pockets were smuggled by sly dock workers. But that's a story for another time.
Album (T-H-L)

Barrels..?
Luxury...

We used to dream of having a barrel...

Today's kids don't seem to realise that: The songs on a Mixtape generally relate to one another in some way, whether it be a conceptual theme or an overall sound. or even that: The compact cassette used double-sided magnetic tape to distribute music for commercial sale (which it didn't - the tracks are on the same side, and directional, I think - at least I only had a one-sided play head - you could reverse mid tape to get the other "side" (top/bottom half of the same physical side) - the reverse (inner) was shiny plastic - no oxide coating)

Our music had: the album led off by the second and third singles, followed by a ballad. The first single would lead off side 2. (I kid you not..)

That was with one record. In the case of a two-record set, for example, sides 1 and 4 would be stamped on one record, and sides 2 and 3 on the other. The user would stack the two records onto the spindle of an automatic record changer, with side 1 on the bottom and side 2 (on the other record) on top. Side 1 would automatically drop onto the turntable and be played. When finished, the tone arm's position would trigger a mechanism which moved the arm out of the way, dropped the record with side 2, and played it. When both records had been played, the user would pick up the stack, turn it over, and put them back on the spindle—sides 3 and 4 would then play in sequence. Record changers were used for many years of the LP era, but eventually fell out of use.

And then Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken mixtape. (a tape containing a compilation of songs created by any average listener of music. on which The music is recorded on both the "A" and "B" side of the tape, with cassette being "turned" to play the other side of the album.)

Without milk or sugar.

But we were happy...

And you try and tell the young people of today that ...

I can't look at this article any more - it hurts. :picard:

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Jim wrote: Album (T-H-L)

Barrels..?
Luxury...

We used to dream of having a barrel...
:XD
Jim wrote: The compact cassette used double-sided magnetic tape to distribute music for commercial sale (which it didn't - the tracks are on the same side, and directional, I think - at least I only had a one-sided play head - you could reverse mid tape to get the other "side" (top/bottom half of the same physical side) - the reverse (inner) was shiny plastic - no oxide coating)
Christ! Has the author of that crap ever even seen a cassette tape?

In the 90s tape players came out that could play the other side of the tape by reversing direction automatically. That was like magic, after years of ejecting and flipping. Ah... this has just reminded me of my parents' top-loading cassette deck circa mid-1980s. Happy memories.
Jim wrote:I can't look at this article any more - it hurts. :picard:
I'm honestly too depressed by it to try fixing it right now. I suppose the solution would be to extract relevant bits from Compact Cassette (T-H-L), which is far less sucky.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Jim wrote:

Like I said, "Someone please kill me."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
Jim wrote:

Like I said, "Someone please kill me."
In fact, maybe we should just give Jim the win and bomb this thread to save our souls.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Jim wrote:

whilst Some musical artists have also released more than three compact discs or LP records of new recordings at once, in the form of boxed sets, although in that case the work is still usually considered to be an album.
This article's lead sentence indicates it is not about a compilation of recorded music.

"An album is a book used for the collection and preservation of miscellaneous items such as photographs, postage stamps, newspaper clippings, visitors' comments, etc.[1] The word later became widely used to describe a collection of audio recordings (e.g., pieces of music) on a single gramophone record,[1] cassette, compact disc, or via digital distribution[citation needed]."

The disambiguation page tells us that it is.

This is one of the worst basic articles on en.Wikipedia. Incomprehensible, contradictory of outside sources, itself, and its wikilnks, pure garbage, nonsense, worthless. You can't just not understand it, much of it cannot be read from word to word, sentence to sentence.

We should crown Jim and template the article:

Warning! This article is a worthless piece of WikiCrap, compiled by WikiPidiots. It should neither be read nor edited. Please bomb it out of its miserable existence before it contaminates the web any more.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Jim wrote:
Same thing this time. :hamsterwheel:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

I thought I should mention Gerry Leonard (T-H-L), because of the absurd section on the gear he uses. Sourced from Mr. Leonard's blog, which is not a "reliable source", is it? Fan or paid editor, can't tell.
Rig based around a TC Electronic G Force (pre-sets self-programmed from the ground up) and a Voodoo Labs switching system to combine analogue and digital
Four additional analogue pedals, three for distortion (as, says Leonard, digital distortion is “pretty hideous” if not a special effect), ranging from subtle to extreme (a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, an Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS 9), an EHX Little Big Muff; an EHX Pog octave pedal for polyphonic octave sounds
Hybrid electric-acoustic guitar built on a custom PRS hollow body: active piezo pickup for acoustic sound, with a separate output, and a two pickup electric system with separate output
Acoustic side of guitar run through a Boss RE 20 looper pedal into DI box
Line 6 DL 4 delay/looper on electric side
Loopers are not connected but often used together live, relying on manual synching, timing info on acoustic side, ambient on electric
Mesa Boogie Lonestar special amp (Fender Deluxe as backup)
All fits in three Pelican cases
What valuable information! How educational!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 pm

EricBarbour wrote:I thought I should mention Gerry Leonard (T-H-L), because of the absurd section on the gear he uses. Sourced from Mr. Leonard's blog, which is not a "reliable source", is it? Fan or paid editor, can't tell.
Rig based around a TC Electronic G Force (pre-sets self-programmed from the ground up) and a Voodoo Labs switching system to combine analogue and digital
Four additional analogue pedals, three for distortion (as, says Leonard, digital distortion is “pretty hideous” if not a special effect), ranging from subtle to extreme (a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, an Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS 9), an EHX Little Big Muff; an EHX Pog octave pedal for polyphonic octave sounds
Hybrid electric-acoustic guitar built on a custom PRS hollow body: active piezo pickup for acoustic sound, with a separate output, and a two pickup electric system with separate output
Acoustic side of guitar run through a Boss RE 20 looper pedal into DI box
Line 6 DL 4 delay/looper on electric side
Loopers are not connected but often used together live, relying on manual synching, timing info on acoustic side, ambient on electric
Mesa Boogie Lonestar special amp (Fender Deluxe as backup)
All fits in three Pelican cases
What valuable information! How educational!
And right now their time is devoted to main page political campaigning.

When will they get back to writing an encyclopedia, not that they were ever there.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 am

enwikibadscience wrote: We should template the article:
Warning! This article is a worthless piece of WikiCrap, compiled by WikiPidiots. It should neither be read nor edited. Please bomb it out of its miserable existence before it contaminates the web any more.
Actually, you know, I think this IP editor was thinking along the right lines for improvement when they made this edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =584048088

Easy explanation of an album: An album is a name of a cd or record. When a musical artist comes out with a new cd, they usually have a name for a the album. A lot of times the names of albums are a name of a song on their new cd/ album.
The mistake they made was just that they didn't wholesale replace the entire stinking pile of crap with that. :crying:

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Hex wrote: In the 90s tape players came out that could play the other side of the tape by reversing direction automatically. That was like magic, after years of ejecting and flipping. Ah... this has just reminded me of my parents' top-loading cassette deck circa mid-1980s. Happy memories.
I think your dates are off. The AKAI system I bought in the early 1980s had auto-reverse for playback, but you had to physically reverse the thing for recording. The Walkman style cassette player (AWAI) I had a year or so later also did the same, unfortunately it also auto-reversed when recording overwriting what it had already recorded but with sound that was effectively backwards. We used it as the 'bootleg' machine in the folk clubs in Yorkshire, but had to remember not to let it auto-reverse.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:07 pm

lilburne wrote:
Hex wrote: In the 90s tape players came out that could play the other side of the tape by reversing direction automatically.
I think your dates are off. The AKAI system I bought in the early 1980s had auto-reverse for playback, but you had to physically reverse the thing for recording. The Walkman style cassette player (AWAI) I had a year or so later also did the same, unfortunately it also auto-reversed when recording overwriting what it had already recorded but with sound that was effectively backwards. We used it as the 'bootleg' machine in the folk clubs in Yorkshire, but had to remember not to let it auto-reverse.
Thanks for the correction. I definitely didn't have an auto-reverse portable player until 1991 or thereabouts. Clearly behind the times!

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm

New Zealand-Americans are Americans born in New Zealand or born in the United States of America who has New Zealand ancestry. According the 2010 surveys, there 19,961 New Zealand Americans.[1] Most them are of European descent, but some hundreds are of indigenous New Zealand descent. So, Some 925 of those New Zealand-Americans declared be of Tokelauan origin.[2] On the other hand, the 2000 Census indicated also the exist of 1,994 people of Māori descent in US.[3]
New Zealand American (T-H-L)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 pm

I expected to come out of Great Vowel Shift (T-H-L) at least partially having an idea of what it sounded like. I was wrong.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:19 am

mac wrote:
New Zealand-Americans are Americans born in New Zealand or born in the United States of America who has New Zealand ancestry. According the 2010 surveys, there 19,961 New Zealand Americans.[1] Most them are of European descent, but some hundreds are of indigenous New Zealand descent. So, Some 925 of those New Zealand-Americans declared be of Tokelauan origin.[2] On the other hand, the 2000 Census indicated also the exist of 1,994 people of Māori descent in US.[3]
New Zealand American (T-H-L)
Heh - that's a little gem...
Since the 1940s, the majority of New Zealanders who have settled in United States came seeking higher education or employment, especially in the work related to finance, import and export, and entertainment industries.
It's like they have a minimum quota of words in mind, like a school assignment, so just throw bland, meaningless, uncited garbage at it to fill the page.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:45 am

Steven Pinder (T-H-L)
Steven Pinder (born 30 March 1960 in Whalley, Lancashire, England) is an actor.
The lede in its entirety.

There are no citations (just a lump of links at the bottom), and it's a WP:BLP (T-H-L).
Pinder was born on March 30, 1960, and comes from a small family with just one younger sister, Catherine, who is 11 years younger and works in agriculture.
It just goes on and on like that.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:51 am

British Astronomical Association (T-H-L): The history seems to stop in 1895, and the list of presidents stops in 1916 (and has an omission in the 1890s). The only illustration shows "Norman Rogers, a member of the BAA, in his solar observatory". There is no evidence that he is in fact a member, and he is certainly not someone of significance in its history. (This photo "is considered a Quality image". It is certainly a nice photo of an elderly man in a chair.)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Zoloft wrote:Steven Pinder (T-H-L)

There are no citations (just a lump of links at the bottom), and it's a WP:BLP (T-H-L).
Pinder was born on March 30, 1960, and comes from a small family with just one younger sister, Catherine, who is 11 years younger and works in agriculture.
Just one? How much younger?

Sounds like a DYK expansion.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:59 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:

Thing is, it's a little surprising. He's not a massively well known actor, I think, but he did have a couple of long term roles in soaps which were more than bit parts. Even I remember him vaguely, and I avoid soaps. The soap opera editing crowd would usually have plastered an article like this with infoboxes, garish series templates, lo-res screenshots and the like. He also appeared in something called Scotch and Wry (T-H-L), according to the article, though that was probably a bit part. The show name amused me, though.

Parse this:
He married Brookside co-star Stephanie Chambers and they have a daughter Scarlett Rose, born in August 2007, and live in Chester. He has two other children from a previous marriage - Helen (born September 1990) and Alex (born December 1993). He married Taj Hossain in February 1989 in Brent, London.
Masterful prose. It just flows.

And
Previously in his career, he played the part of Roy Lambert in Crossroads the owner of Kings Oak corner shop.
:bow:

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Hex wrote:I expected to come out of Great Vowel Shift (T-H-L) at least partially having an idea of what it sounded like. I was wrong.
Nah - it's quite clear:
during the Great Vowel Shift, the two highest long vowels became diphthongs, and the other five underwent an increase in tongue height.
:wtf2:
I mean, it's supposed to be a sodding encyclopedia - a place where you might, I dunno, look things up?
You shouldn't need to click every blue link in a sea of blue if you're not already an expert in the area.
I'm not stupid, but there's no way that article helps me or points me in the right direction, even.

Well... there might be, I suppose, but it's so poorly presented I just couldn't be arsed.
I think that's how a lot of the crap stays in too, in general, at WP - the articles are often so user unfriendly that nobody ever reads deeply enough to realise they're bollocks too.
Perhaps that's WP:OBFUSCATETHECRAPTOSCARETHEBUGGERSOFF
or, I guess, just as likely: WP:CANTEXPLAINCOSDONTUNDERSTANDWOTIMWRITINGABOUTBUTCANCOPYPASTA

At least
Not all words underwent certain phases of the Great Vowel Shift.
so that's nice... I think...

I love Capitalising Important Things, too. It's Way Cool.

The black and red line chart is adorable - I have no idea what that is, nor do I care.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Jim wrote:
The black and red line chart is adorable - I have no idea what that is, nor do I care.
Neither does the person who created and inserted it, whether the same or not, so they've succeeded in sharing their vision with you....

:blink:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Jim wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:

Thing is, it's a little surprising. He's not a massively well known actor, I think, but he did have a couple of long term roles in soaps which were more than bit parts. Even I remember him vaguely, and I avoid soaps. The soap opera editing crowd would usually have plastered an article like this with infoboxes, garish series templates, lo-res screenshots and the like. He also appeared in something called Scotch and Wry (T-H-L), according to the article, though that was probably a bit part. The show name amused me, though.

Parse this:
He married Brookside co-star Stephanie Chambers and they have a daughter Scarlett Rose, born in August 2007, and live in Chester. He has two other children from a previous marriage - Helen (born September 1990) and Alex (born December 1993). He married Taj Hossain in February 1989 in Brent, London.
Masterful prose. It just flows.

And
Previously in his career, he played the part of Roy Lambert in Crossroads the owner of Kings Oak corner shop.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Hex wrote:I expected to come out of Great Vowel Shift (T-H-L) at least partially having an idea of what it sounded like. I was wrong.
Honesty compels me to say that I didn't find the article particularly bad. You need to be able to read the phonetic alphabet to make sense of the chart (and it's well-nigh impossible to describe a vowel change in writing without using the phonetic alphabet), but there are actually little sound files embedded further down to help you out. If you use those, you can figure out how the pronunciation of "time", "see", "east", "name" etc. changed over time.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Honesty compels me to say that I didn't find the article particularly bad. You need to be able to read the phonetic alphabet to make sense of the chart (and it's well-nigh impossible to describe a vowel change in writing without using the phonetic alphabet), but there are actually little sound files embedded further down to help you out. If you use those, you can figure out how the pronunciation of "time", "see", "east", "name" etc. changed over time.
There are ways to write about the sounds of phonemes that don't require the reader to know the phonetic alphabet. It's also not reader-friendly being forced to click through to a bunch of sound files after having to ignore a mysterious chart (with most recent at the top, unlike pretty much every other vertical timeline). The article is sorely lacking a well-structured table of examples. It's also littered with stuff like 'Vowels of Middle English had "continental" values much like those remaining in Spanish and liturgical Latin' - again, completely lacking any example of what '"continental" values' is supposed to mean.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
I can read the phonetic alphabet. It is a visually poor graphic, and the text is disorganized and jumps without filling in logical, ordered information. It is a bunch of plagiarized sentences, is my guess. Sometimes when I read geology articles on en.Wikipedia my mind automatically fills in the missing information, meaning I sometimes miss some of the worst problems.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 am

Might I suggest to Wikipedians to merge Kmart realism (T-H-L) into Dirty realism (T-H-L)?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Could just be stupid, or could be a hoax/subtle vandalism:
Personal Egress Air Pack (T-H-L)

The only comment on the talkpage:
This article includes a picture of the STS-34 crew using PEAPs, however it claims that PEAPs were not used after STS-51L. Since STS-51L flew several years before STS-34, something must be wrong here. --GW… 11:25, 7 January 2011 (UTC)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 am

Today there's a big stink about the Danish government trying to sell off part of one of its public utilities to Goldman Sachs, which resulted in street protests and the collapse of the ruling coalition in the parliament.

So, shall we have a look at DONG Energy (T-H-L)?
DONG Energy provides FTTH to its customers in northern Zealand. It is offered to the customers as the airborne powergrid is grounded.

DONG Energy considers Denmark, Sweden, The Netherlands, United Kingdom and Germany as core markets of corporation.

DONG Energy is headsponsor for the Danish men's national ice hockey team

DONG Energy has signed a deal with Project Better Place regarding the mass introduction of electric cars in Denmark.[18]

DONG Energy owns 51% of offshore wind turbine installer A2SEA,[19] while Siemens owns the other 49%.[20]

DONG Energy also has 30% of subsea cabling installer CT Offshore[21]

DONG Energy has divested Norwegian power companies Salten and Nordkraft.[22]
It looks to me as if the Wiki-nerds think the company's name is funny, so they're going to mention it prominently, over and over. It is an acronym for "Danish Oil and Natural Gas".

BTW, it was chopped up in December 2011 by an account called DONG Energy Employee DK (T-C-L). And nobody noticed.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:08 am

Spetsopoula (T-H-L)
This island is shrouded in secrecy and mystery. The only images available are photos taken from the mainland and from the air. However, rumors exist both in the local surrounding area and online that there is a great stash of images somewhere that were taken on the island, with closeups of the buildings, inside the buildings and the private beaches. Despite much searching, these images don't appear to be available anywhere online so nobody apart from the Niarchos family and their visitors to the island know what the interior of this little luxury island looks like.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 am

The Adversary wrote:Spetsopoula (T-H-L)
This island is shrouded in secrecy and mystery. The only images available are photos taken from the mainland and from the air. However, rumors exist both in the local surrounding area and online that there is a great stash of images somewhere that were taken on the island, with closeups of the buildings, inside the buildings and the private beaches. Despite much searching, these images don't appear to be available anywhere online so nobody apart from the Niarchos family and their visitors to the island know what the interior of this little luxury island looks like.
OMG. Does it ever end. Meanwhile, aren't they still planning a political protest for the main page? Just fix the crap, please!

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Delaware Backstory: The Murderkill River doesn't have a grisly past
The News Journal, 3 February 2014 link
A Delaware newcomer was freaked out by last week’s News Journal coverage of dredging in the Murderkill River in southern Kent County. It wasn’t the dredging that got him, but the river’s name. He tweeted to ask about its derivation. Delaware Heritage Commission Chair Dick Carter points to the region’s Dutch past. “I’ve always understood that the name ‘Murderkill’ is taken from the original Dutch for Mother River,” he said. Mother is “moeder” in Dutch, and river is “kill.” Later, under British rule, the word “River” was added to the waterway’s name, effectively making it “mother river river.” In a 2004 essay, Carter likened it to the harmless redundancy of saying “pizza pie.”

He also warns readers not to believe the popular website Wikipedia. It quotes “Names on the Land: A Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States,” (1945) by George R. Stewart, but misspells his name and omits the title’s hyphen. Wikipedia says, “A tradition is preserved about the naming of the Murderkill River: “...remembering how they had been served at the Whore-Kill, they went some ten or twelve miles higher, where they landed again and traded with the Indians, trusting the Indians to come onto their stores ashore, and likewise aboard their sloop drinking and debauching with the Indians until they were at last barbarously murdered, and so that place was christened with their blood and to this day is called the Murderer-Kill, that is, Murderers Creek.” [...] Carter considers Stewart’s “lurid tale of the origins of the name ‘Murderkill’” to be the wildest kind of folklore, but very much in keeping with a lot of the popular writing of that period. And “Whore-Kill” meant nothing like it sounds: It was originally Hoornkill and meant Hoorn River – “named after Hoorn, Holland, the town from which some of the original Swaanendael settlers came.” [...]
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Mancunium wrote:Delaware Backstory: The Murderkill River doesn't have a grisly past
So, does this go down as a WP hoax, an "urban legend" that can't be verified and that WP repeated because it was in a "reliable source" :pbbbt: , or factual?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:47 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Delaware Backstory: The Murderkill River doesn't have a grisly past
So, does this go down as a WP hoax, an "urban legend" that can't be verified and that WP repeated because it was in a "reliable source" :pbbbt: , or factual?
Whoever wrote the 'Origin of name' section of Murderkill_River (T-H-L) should have known very well that the information was nonsense, as the 'Variant names' section of the same article states:
According to the Geographic Names Information System, the Murderkill River has also been known historically as:[1]
Mordare Kijhlen
Mother Creek
Mother Kill
Motherkill
Motherkiln Creek
Mothers Creek
Murder Kill Creek
Murther Creek
Murtherkill
former Living Person

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Hypergeometric function (T-H-L)(deeplink)
Kummer's theorem (z = −1)[edit]
There are many cases where hypergeometric functions can be evaluated at z = −1 by using a quadratic transformation to change z = −1 to z = 1 and then using Gauss's theorem to evaluate the result. A typical example is Kummer's theorem, named for Ernst Kummer:

which follows from Kummer's quadratic transformations
Failed to parse(unknown function '\begin'): {\begin{aligned}_{2}F_{1}(a,b;1+a-b;z)&=(1-z)^{{-a}}\;_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {1+a}2}-b;1+a-b;-{\frac {4z}{(1-z)^{2}}}\right)\\&=(1+z)^{{-a}}\,_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {a+1}2};1+a-b;{\frac {4z}{(1+z)^{2}}}\right)\end{aligned}}

and Gauss's theorem by putting z = −1 in the first identity. For generalization of Kummer's summation, see a paper by Lavoie, et al.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 am

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:45 am

mac wrote:Hypergeometric function (T-H-L)(deeplink)
Kummer's theorem (z = −1)[edit]
There are many cases where hypergeometric functions can be evaluated at z = −1 by using a quadratic transformation to change z = −1 to z = 1 and then using Gauss's theorem to evaluate the result. A typical example is Kummer's theorem, named for Ernst Kummer:

which follows from Kummer's quadratic transformations
Failed to parse(unknown function '\begin'): {\begin{aligned}_{2}F_{1}(a,b;1+a-b;z)&=(1-z)^{{-a}}\;_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {1+a}2}-b;1+a-b;-{\frac {4z}{(1-z)^{2}}}\right)\\&=(1+z)^{{-a}}\,_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {a+1}2};1+a-b;{\frac {4z}{(1+z)^{2}}}\right)\end{aligned}}

and Gauss's theorem by putting z = −1 in the first identity. For generalization of Kummer's summation, see a paper by Lavoie, et al.
Judging from this discussion, the sudden appearance of messages like this in many articles on mathematics would appear to be due to the application of the same sort of engineering principles which have led to the triumph of the Visual Editor.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Apparently, according to the Wikipedia article, it goes down as a "preserved tradition".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm

thekohser wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Apparently, according to the Wikipedia article, it goes down as a "preserved tradition".
Just throw me in the river.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Booya Stones (T-H-L)?
The Booya Stones are three sacred stones in the Murray Islands, north of Australia, guarded by priests. The stones glow with a blue light. The Australian writer Ion Idriess stated that the light is focused into a beam and directed at a human being, it causes an X-ray effect that always results in death.[citation needed] When Europeans came to the Murray Islands, the priests hid the stones, and no one knows where they are now kept.[1]

There are no known images of the actual stones nor much information about these stones on the internet.
:rotfl:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Ming wrote:Booya Stones (T-H-L)?
The Booya Stones are three sacred stones in the Murray Islands, north of Australia, guarded by priests. The stones glow with a blue light. The Australian writer Ion Idriess stated that the light is focused into a beam and directed at a human being, it causes an X-ray effect that always results in death.[citation needed] When Europeans came to the Murray Islands, the priests hid the stones, and no one knows where they are now kept.[1]

There are no known images of the actual stones nor much information about these stones on the internet.
Citation needed. Well, someone is hard at work at en.Wikipedia.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:24 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:

This is interesting. The editor who tagged it for missing references is the same editor who removed the references.

No references, after I removed them.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:

Now nominated for speedy deletion by avid Wikipediocracy reader TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L). The hoax has already been there for over two years.