Crap articles

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 am

Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:I think that Johnny means that it's not the sort of article that should be on the English Wikipedia.
That is what I meant.
Agreed!

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm

AD 34 (T-H-L) "Naevius Sutorius Macro is said to gain favour in the empire by prostituting his wife Eunius to Caligula". Eunius is a masculine name: Macro's wife was Ennia Thrasylla (T-H-L).

Lesson: know enough of the context of your topic not to write things that are patently mistaken.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Just take a look at various articles about certain real world leaders and it mentions this: [leader] appeared in Civilization [insert Roman numeral].
After hitting random article a few times today, I came across this completely unreferenced bio, which states "[Cesare Bendinelli] also authored Rotta Ò Sonata, (Probably his most famous piece) which was used as the theme for Enrico Dandolo, leader of Venice in Sid Meier's Civilization V."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 pm

[Cesare Bendinelli] also authored Rotta Ò Sonata, (Probably his most famous piece)
Quite a nice piece.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I just noticed this. This was the way this article read when I wrote it back in 2014, using those two books listed at the bottom as the sources.

This is how the article reads now. Someone completely changed the tone and POV of the text. It appears they used Bruce book as a source rather than the two books I used.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Cla68 wrote:I just noticed this. This was the way this article read when I wrote it back in 2014, using those two books listed at the bottom as the sources.

This is how the article reads now. Someone completely changed the tone and POV of the text. It appears they used Bruce book as a source rather than the two books I used.
That's a good example of one of the problems of Wikipedia. Somewhere, I called it "article rot". I suppose that it's not worth trying to fix.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Cla68 wrote:I just noticed this. This was the way this article read when I wrote it back in 2014, using those two books listed at the bottom as the sources.

That's a good example of one of the problems of Wikipedia. Somewhere, I called it "article rot". I suppose that it's not worth trying to fix.
The view that the riot was primarily a general, spontaneous uprising by the crew is not supported by any other source except that one. So, the article should focus on the majority of sources which say that the riot was mainly caused by racial-animus. The theory that it was an anti-war protest should be presented as a secondary opinion, but I think it's fine to be included. However, there doesn't appear to be anyone on Wikipedia who cares enough to fix it, and I cannot because I am currently blocked. So, it stays as is.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Just out of interest, why was this not a mutiny?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 pm

It wasn't an act of disobedience to senior officers. According to Cla68's article, "The carrier's commander—Captain Marland Townsend—and executive officer—Commander Benjamin Cloud (who was black)—dissuaded the rioters from further violence and prevented white sailors from retaliating".

Botto
Contributor

Unread post by Botto » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 am

List of largest shipyards in history (T-H-L) - I don't think this article knows what it wants to be.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 am

DarthBotto wrote:List of largest shipyards in history (T-H-L) - I don't think this article knows what it wants to be.
The formatting is lousy too.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm

DarthBotto wrote:List of largest shipyards in history (T-H-L) - I don't think this article knows what it wants to be.
I appreciate that it provides a convenient link to a fascinating and expansive article about a colonial shipyard like Real Arsenal (T-H-L). The sum of human knowledge is getting closer and closer to being complete!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:55 pm

I don't know where to put this, but TIL that the article Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes (T-H-L) has been full protected for the past six years!

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 am

Kingsindian wrote:I don't know where to put this, but TIL that the article Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes (T-H-L) has been full protected for the past six years!
It needs to be downgraded to extended confirmed protection at the highest.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Kingsindian wrote:I don't know where to put this, but TIL that the article Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes (T-H-L) has been full protected for the past six years!
It needs to be downgraded to extended confirmed protection at the highest.
Yes, the worst that can happen is a spate of vandalism. In that case, it's easy enough to protect it again.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 pm

List of synagogues in the United Kingdom (T-H-L) is massively incomplete. It omits for example Edgware United, the largest synagogue building in Britain (though it has Edgware Reform), and West Hove, the main synagogue in the Brighton and Hove area.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm

This, is an atrocity. Added on 23 August 2017, and still there. If you Internet-search her name and the school name, not only does the Wikipedia article appear, but her LinkedIn profile as well. Not good, Wikipedia.

Also, right below it somebody is using the article to advertise a non-notable band. Looking through the article's edit history, it appears that the article used to mainly be a copy from the school's website.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Cla68 wrote:This, is an atrocity. Added on 23 August 2017, and still there. If you Internet-search her name and the school name, not only does the Wikipedia article appear, but her LinkedIn profile as well. Not good, Wikipedia.

Also, right below it somebody is using the article to advertise a non-notable band. Looking through the article's edit history, it appears that the article used to mainly be a copy from the school's website.
Yngvadottir will be along shortly to take care of the month-long defamation. Meanwhile, Jimbo is speaking at the United Nations, and his cub reporter will be covering it, so all is right in the WikiWorld. Don't moan and groan so much, Charles.

(for posterity's sake: link)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Cla68 wrote:This, is an atrocity. Added on 23 August 2017, and still there. If you Internet-search her name and the school name, not only does the Wikipedia article appear, but her LinkedIn profile as well. Not good, Wikipedia.

I wouldn't have thought that someone whose only claim to fame is being a registered nurse should be in a list of notable alumni.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:I wouldn't have thought that someone whose only claim to fame is being a registered nurse should be in a list of notable alumni.
Well, according to Wikipedia for the past 4 weeks or so, that was only one of her two claims to fame.

:facepalm:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I mean tthat this lady should never have been in the article in the first place, quite apart from the libellous addition.

And inevitably Yngvadottir has fixed it. However, a trivial piece of vandalism has now been added: Counsel -> Kounsel.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Montagu Norman (T-H-L) was Governor of the Bank of England for 24 years. That's the longest anyone's ever held that post, a point not mentioned in the article. (Indeed, most of his predecessors only managed two years and the previous record was five.)

Far more seriously, the article fails to mention that Norman's opposition to the Labour government's plan to abandon the gold standard led to the collapse of that government, and yet shortly afterwards, he was happy for the National Government to abandon it. The Labour Party never forgave him, and this resulted in the nationalisation of the Bank in the late 1940s.

Also, it says "On 2 November 1933, Lord Norman married ..." This is an anachronism, as he didn't become a lord until 1944.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:50 am

The various editions of the Invictus Games are rather poorly written:

2014 Invictus Games (T-H-L)
2016 Invictus Games (T-H-L)
2017 Invictus Games (T-H-L)
2018 Invictus Games (T-H-L)

In some of them, some of the writing is very unencyclopedic and is promotional at best.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:58 am

Magazine (T-H-L) is a classic of WP bad writing: almost unstructured, with random attacks of questionable pedantry and trivia, and gaping omissions. Ming particularly likes this assertion, which comes at the end of a paragraph naming Britain's oldest magazines:
Despite being among the first mass media outlets to venture from the bible, periodicals still remained rooted in the naturalized class and gender system held by European and American society.
Do tell. The article doesn't.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Abbotsford Senior Secondary School stabbing

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

See here: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School (T-H-L)

There's no citations with regards to the school stabbing.

Moderator's note: Mr. Au had posted this as a new thread, but having evaluated the situation.... naah.

Poetlister
Genius

Re: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School stabbing

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Johnny Au wrote:See here: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School (T-H-L)

Guess what just happened to the article!

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School stabbing

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:See here: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School (T-H-L)

Guess what just happened to the article!
It's nice to know our RSS feed is of use.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Battle cry (T-H-L)

It's extremely odd that there's no examples of battle cries from China, indigenous peoples of the Americas, or Africans (especially those from south of the Sahara).

Oh, and the article needs more sources as well.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Battle cry (T-H-L)

It's extremely odd that there's no examples of battle cries from China, indigenous peoples of the Americas, or Africans (especially those from south of the Sahara).

Oh, and the article needs more sources as well.
Indeed, it's had the {{Refimprove|date=March 2009}} template for a good few years now.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:54 am

Major League Baseball luxury tax (T-H-L)

I have begun cleaning up this mess and have called in the regulars within the Baseball WikiProject to help. Yes, it's another one of those School Assignment articles.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Major League Baseball luxury tax (T-H-L)

I have begun cleaning up this mess and have called in the regulars within the Baseball WikiProject to help. Yes, it's another one of those School Assignment articles.
We're rooting for your team's success, Johnny. And here's hoping that "the crowd" doesn't come along eventually, like the high tide, and wipe out your sandcastles of knowledge. Meanwhile, the folks in San Francisco will worry about collecting all those financial donations, so that you can focus on the more important things like sports taxation. Keep up the good work!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 pm

The 10th most influential person in broadcasting & cable (according to Multichannel News), and this is the best you can do, Wikipedia? Pretty sad.

Tom Rutledge (T-H-L) (CEO of Charter Communications, the 2nd largest cable company in America) is a redlink. I'm too lazy to put it in the low-hanging fruit thread.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm

thekohser wrote:Tom Rutledge (T-H-L) (CEO of Charter Communications, the 2nd largest cable company in America) is a redlink. I'm too lazy to put it in the low-hanging fruit thread.
The trouble with articles on CEOs is that it can be tricky to find newspaper stories specifically about them rather than their companies. As I've said before, "notable" doesn't always mean "noted". I'm too lazy to research this chap in particular.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:02 am

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:Tom Rutledge (T-H-L) (CEO of Charter Communications, the 2nd largest cable company in America) is a redlink. I'm too lazy to put it in the low-hanging fruit thread.
The trouble with articles on CEOs is that it can be tricky to find newspaper stories specifically about them rather than their companies. As I've said before, "notable" doesn't always mean "noted". I'm too lazy to research this chap in particular.
I understand, but really... it wouldn't be that difficult with sources like this.

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:12 am

Nougat (T-H-L) is quite oddly bad, as if someone was deliberately trying to make a hash out of the article. The first oddity is the huge list of irrelevant pronunciations at the start of the article. The second oddity is that it fails to really explain at all what nougat might actually be, instead meandering into a self-contradictory discussion of its origins.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:44 am

trout wrote:Nougat (T-H-L) is quite oddly bad, as if someone was deliberately trying to make a hash out of the article. The first oddity is the huge list of irrelevant pronunciations at the start of the article. The second oddity is that it fails to really explain at all what nougat might actually be, instead meandering into a self-contradictory discussion of its origins.

Code: Select all

Nougat (US: /ˈnuːɡət/ NOO-gət, UK: /ˈnuːɡɑː/ NOO-gah, or UK: /ˈnʌɡət/ NUG-ət;[1][2][3][4] French pronunciation: ​[nu.ɡa], Azerbaijani: /lukʌ/ لوکا, Persian: /nuːɡʌ/ نوقا ) is a family of confections made with sugar or honey, roasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, and macadamia nuts are common), whipped egg whites, and sometimes chopped candied fruit. The consistency of nougat is chewy, and it is used in a variety of candy bars and chocolates. The word nougat comes from Occitan pan nogat (pronounced [ˈpa nuˈɣat]), seemingly from Latin panis nucatus 'nut bread' (the late colloquial Latin adjective nucatum means 'nutted' or 'nutty').
▲ That? That is screwball.
Food Network wrote:Whisk the egg white in a heatproof bowl until stiff. Combine the sugar, glucose, honey and water in a small saucepan. Stir over very low heat until the mixture reaches the small crack stage, or 275 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add some nuts while still warm. If you don't have enough nuts, search Wikipedia article talk pages.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:53 pm

You can't have instructions for making nougat in the article. Wikipedia is not a "how to" guide. Of course, with some ingenious paraphrasing the relevant information could be included.

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Zoloft wrote: ▲ That? That is screwball.
The part where it gives two completely different regions (southern Europe and the middle east) as the origin is my favourite. Unfortunately the person who used to go and edit these articles seems to have given up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... on=history

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 am

UUNET (T-H-L) has two different timelines in it, the first of which interrupts a narrative which ends with a section about the service's supposed participation in the spam explosion, all of which may be true but which is written more like rumor-mongering slander than anything resembling a sober encyclopedia.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

Average cost pricing (T-H-L), an economic analysis technique often used to handle monopolies.

mynameisnotdave
Contributor
Wikipedia User: My name is not dave

Unread post by mynameisnotdave » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:21 am

Category:All_uncategorized_pages (T-H-L) -- working through this. A lot of crap here.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm

mynameisnotdave wrote:Category:All_uncategorized_pages (T-H-L) -- working through this. A lot of crap here.
How can that category have anything in it? :blink:

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:14 am

Poetlister wrote:
mynameisnotdave wrote:Category:All_uncategorized_pages (T-H-L) -- working through this. A lot of crap here.
How can that category have anything in it? :blink:
Why, it's simple: each article is part of the set of sets that don't contain themselves.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

mynameisnotdave
Contributor

Unread post by mynameisnotdave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm

A raw list from the database, updated every few days, is shown on Special:UncategorizedPages (T-H-L). A very kind user, Postcard Cathy (T-C-L), looks at this database and adds {{uncategorized}} to these pages. Then we know which articles don't have furry creatures :D and I can add cats to them.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm

mynameisnotdave wrote:A raw list from the database, updated every few days, is shown on Special:UncategorizedPages (T-H-L). A very kind user, Postcard Cathy (T-C-L), looks at this database and adds {{uncategorized}} to these pages. Then we know which articles don't have furry creatures :D and I can add cats to them.
:cat:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 am

The article on Two Little Girls in Blue (T-H-L), a 1921 Broadway show, fails to note that the title song is an old British music hall number written in 1893, nearly 30 years earlier. It also does not say that this was the first show where Ira Gershwin wrote the lyrics.

mynameisnotdave
Contributor

Unread post by mynameisnotdave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Poetlister wrote:The article on Two Little Girls in Blue (T-H-L), a 1921 Broadway show, fails to note that the title song is an old British music hall number written in 1893, nearly 30 years earlier. It also does not say that this was the first show where Ira Gershwin wrote the lyrics.
The creator and principal author of the page, StryoFome (T-C-L), was blocked as a sockpuppet.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Children's Wish Foundation of Canada (T-H-L)

It looks like an ad, complete with the use of "we." It also has the phrase "last year" without specifying what year. Oh, and the organization is over 32 years old.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Children's Wish Foundation of Canada (T-H-L)

It looks like an ad, complete with the use of "we." It also has the phrase "last year" without specifying what year. Oh, and the organization is over 32 years old.
That is probably because someone 'rewrote' it earlier this year by copy-pasting from the charity's website. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =761938780

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 pm

mynameisnotdave wrote:
Poetlister wrote:The article on Two Little Girls in Blue (T-H-L), a 1921 Broadway show, fails to note that the title song is an old British music hall number written in 1893, nearly 30 years earlier. It also does not say that this was the first show where Ira Gershwin wrote the lyrics.
The creator and principal author of the page, StryoFome (T-C-L), was blocked as a sockpuppet.
That's no excuse for the article not being amended significantly in the subsequent 6½ years. After all, Wikipedia is constantly improving.