rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:17 am

ltbdl wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:05 am
Christell (T-H-L) makes a pretty good running for worst blp
I am sure that CarolBkn (T-C-L) who is largely responsible for the article and whose only edits on both Spanish and English Wikipedia as well as on Commons are related to this singer is totally not a COI editor.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

TheSpacebook
Critic

Unread post by TheSpacebook » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:10 pm

The singer who just performed at Coachella, Lana Del Rey (T-H-L), has an amazing article. It’s completely written in prose, and certainly by her fans. I mean, I could suggest WP:COIFAN, but it would be impossible to police. I think this article takes the number one spot for the most prose-like BLP.

Firstly, I have no idea why the article isn’t moved to Lana del Rey as per Flight of the Conchords (T-H-L) or Chance the Rapper (T-H-L), but it might just be my mother tongue making me read it as “of the King”. It says she has been named
The Greatest American Songwriter of the 21st century (2023)
, but the source seems to only use it as a passing compliment in the opening as ”the greatest American songwriter of the 21st century is finally”. Wikipedia even puts it in title-case and the year in brackets to make it seem as though it’s an award.

There’s absolutely no point in even trying to edit it. Looking through the edit history, it’s seemingly never been changed. It says she was one of the first internet popstars, so I imagine that her fans must be well versed on the internet- keeping guard of her Wikipedia article, no? She rarely gives interviews and speaks to her fans directly via a private Instagram account.

But it’s just such an amazing read. The article has such excessive detail:
On July 20, 2023, Del Rey was spotted pouring coffee and chatting with customers at a Waffle House in Florence, Alabama, in full employee uniform complete with her own "Lana" name tag.
During the first year of Trump's presidency, Del Rey alleged she attempted to use witchcraft against Trump.
She made three music videos and put them together for a 14-minute YouTube video which Wikipedia called a “film”
Norman Fucking Rockwell (film) (T-H-L). But perhaps because she’s an internet pop star, this is where she’d release "films"? None of the sources label it a film, maybe her fans are advocating for this "cinematic quality", they open the article with in the lede.

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:12 pm

Go to timestamp 41m42s for an excoriation of Wikipedia's article on Mary Baker Eddy.

link to the timestamp.

I believe that Slim Virgin is to blame for the over-reliance on Gillian Gill in that Mary Baker Eddy (T-H-L) page.

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 am

Videotelephony (T-H-L)

This was a half-decent article in 2017, before someone decided to merge the articles “Videophone” and “Videoconferencing” into it.

I think the resulting Frankenarticle’s most endearing feature is that criticisms of videoconferencing are listed in a section titled “Adoption”, while an “Impact” section discusses the adoption of videoconferencing (because no one has ever been struck by flying debris from a videoconference). Also found in “Impact” is a “Comparison of Sign Language communication tools” (complete with Bonus Caps), which comes from a third merger in 2022 and contains obvious nonsense such as that FaceTime is “free” and that Facebook, Apple, Google, and Microsoft don’t have deaf employees.

Because the article has only been edited in snack-sized portions since the mergers, it’s full of exciting news like “News media organizations have begun to use desktop technologies like Skype to provide higher-quality audio than the cellular phone network”, “According to Juniper Research, smartphone videophone users will reach 29 million by 2015 globally”, and “On 21 September 2021, Facebook launched two new versions of its Portal video-calling devices, the Portal Go and Portal Plus. The new video calling devices include the first portable variety of the hardware and number of updates.” (What number of updates do you suppose was the first?)

The “Popular culture” section has been pared down from its original size, but as a result, it now implies that the 2009 film Moon is one of the “earlier examples of videophones in popular culture”.

Someone should schedule a videoconference to discuss rewriting this. Sorry, I mean a videotelephony session. That’s definitely the common name.

TheSpacebook
Critic

Unread post by TheSpacebook » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 pm

The article Suicide methods (T-H-L) looks to me as being a clear (and extremely dangerous) violation of WP:NOTHOWTO (T-H-L). The talk page, along with its eight archives, would disagree with me however.
Another suicide method is to lie down, or throw oneself, in the path of a fast-moving vehicle, either on the road or onto railway tracks.
Wounds from suicide attempts involve the non-dominant hand, with damage often done to the median nerve, ulnar nerve, radial artery, palmaris longus muscle, and flexor carpi radialis muscle.
The article even provides the percentage chance of the success rate for the different methods (on the fence about whether this is an issue or not):
The risk of death in suicide attempts involving overdose is about 2%.
The overall case fatality rate for suicide attempts using pesticide is about 10–20%
suicide by firearm is the most lethal method of suicide, resulting in a fatality 90% of the time
I think I can build a tool which gets the IP of the user and shows the relevant suicide hotline number at the top, but the editors on the talk page have previously stated that they are against this idea. Using my own common sense, the article is clearly a WP:BADIDEA (T-H-L).

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:59 pm

You do pick the silliest windmills to tilt at sometimes. What are we supposed to do, pretend that suicide doesn't exist?
Always improving...

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:10 pm

Computer network naming scheme (T-H-L)
In computing, naming schemes are often used for objects connected into computer networks.
This might as well just say “Naming schemes are often used for objects”, because the article doesn’t explain why naming computers is a separate topic from naming cats or dogs or ships or streets or schools or libraries.
The CIA named their servers after states.[1]
This is the only cited statement in the article. The source quotes a former CIA employee as saying that the office she worked in used this scheme. I’m guessing the CIA as a whole had more than fifty servers.
Server names may be named by their role or follow a common theme such as colors, countries, cities, planets, chemical element, scientists, etc. If servers are in multiple different geographical locations they may be named by closest airport code.

Such as web-01, web-02, web-03, mail-01, db-01, db-02.
I’m not familiar with those airports.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:24 pm

Háčky wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:10 pm
In computing, naming schemes are often used for objects connected into computer networks.
This might as well just say “Naming schemes are often used for objects”, because the article doesn’t explain why naming computers is a separate topic from naming cats or dogs or ships or streets or schools or libraries.
This is the only cited statement in the article. The source quotes a former CIA employee as saying that the office she worked in used this scheme. I’m guessing the CIA as a whole had more than fifty servers.
Server names may be named by their role or follow a common theme such as colors, countries, cities, planets, chemical element, scientists, etc. If servers are in multiple different geographical locations they may be named by closest airport code.

Shhhh! Those are secret airfields at CIA black sites.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:42 pm

List of countries and dependencies by area in 1989 (T-H-L)

Just amazing how much work people are willing to put into articles that are certain to be deleted once they are noticed.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:18 pm

Ming wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:42 pm
List of countries and dependencies by area in 1989 (T-H-L)

Just amazing how much work people are willing to put into articles that are certain to be deleted once they are noticed.
yeah...that's....pretty random and obviously not going to survive that AFD.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:23 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:24 pm
Háčky wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:10 pm

Shhhh! Those are secret airfields at CIA black sites.
Kind of amusing that an article that has been on WP for twenty years is probably going to be deleted by PROD.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 am

If you are naming industrial spurs at a federal nuclear facility, you can use the names of female railroad employees.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Ming wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 am
If you are naming industrial spurs at a federal nuclear facility, you can use the names of female railroad employees.
Wow, the support rationales there are completely removed from reality. That this was even close shows how far some people will bend/ignore logic and reason to "save" completely unworthy articles.

I looked at a few of them, they were just as bad as you think they were. Two sentences and an infobox, because there was literally no other information besides "this was here".

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 pm

The Constitutional Pentumvirate of Kaz (T-H-L) is an American Micronation located in New York City themed around cats.

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm

Ming wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 pm
The Constitutional Pentumvirate of Kaz (T-H-L) is an American Micronation located in New York City themed around cats.
When it is created by an Single-Purpose Account, and nominated for deletion within an hour, I don't think it counts here?

Instead, take ... (clicks "Random" button 3 times) Motovespa (T-H-L), a crap article that has lasted for almost 5 years:
Motovespa or Moto Vespa is the Spanish license holder for the production of Vespa motor scooters. Motovespa has been taken over by Vespa parent manufacturer Piaggio.

These Spanish Vespas often differed in composition from their Italian counterparts.[1] For example, electronic ignition on a Vespa occurred for the first time on the Spanish Vespas, while the Italian Vespas was not fitted with an electronic ignition until later with the Rally model.[2][circular reference][3]
Sources are some dead URL, Dutch Wikipedia, and some other wiki.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 pm

orangepi wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm
Ming wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 pm
When it is created by an Single-Purpose Account, and nominated for deletion within an hour, I don't think it counts here?
Crap doesn't take long to smell bad.
Instead, take ... (clicks "Random" button 3 times) Motovespa (T-H-L), a crap article that has lasted for almost 5 years:
Motovespa or Moto Vespa is the Spanish license holder for the production of Vespa motor scooters. Motovespa has been taken over by Vespa parent manufacturer Piaggio.

These Spanish Vespas often differed in composition from their Italian counterparts.[1] For example, electronic ignition on a Vespa occurred for the first time on the Spanish Vespas, while the Italian Vespas was not fitted with an electronic ignition until later with the Rally model.[2][circular reference][3]
Sources are some dead URL, Dutch Wikipedia, and some other wiki.
The Spanish version is just about as bad, differently:
Spanish company manufacturing motorcycles, mopeds and light vehicles created in 1952 by INI and Enrico Piaggio.

It was very important in the automotive sector in Spain, mainly for the manufacture of the popular VESPA and the Vespino moped. By the end of the 1990s, it was exporting vehicles to 35 countries around the world, and had a workforce of close to 1,000 people.

This company had its factory at Calle Julián Camarillo, 6 in Madrid. For 51 years it produced vehicles of the brands MOTOVESPA, Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, and Puch, many of them of their own design. In 1954 accessories such as the high headlight were manufactured due to the low light of the original low headlight, being called Vespa high headlamp (bi-headlight: low and high). After 51 years of history, it finally closed all its production facilities in 2003.
(translation courtesy Google) Note that the English article manages to get the name of the thing wrong, and also ignores that the whole thing shut down in 2003.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm

Michael Lodahl (T-H-L)
A theology professor from the Church of the Nazarene (T-H-L). The article includes this gem:
He has published over 10 books, some of them held in many libraries.[1] His best-known literary work is Story of God. His most widely held book is Shekhinah/spirit : divine presence in Jewish and Christian religion, published by Paulist Press in 1992, and held in 292 worldCat libraries.
Someone using the ip 199.106.86.2 (T-C-L) which happens to belong to Point Loma Nazarene University (T-H-L) where Lodahl is a professor seems to be a big fan of his.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm
Michael Lodahl (T-H-L)
A theology professor from the Church of the Nazarene (T-H-L). The article includes this gem:
He has published over 10 books, some of them held in many libraries.[1] His best-known literary work is Story of God. His most widely held book is Shekhinah/spirit : divine presence in Jewish and Christian religion, published by Paulist Press in 1992, and held in 292 worldCat libraries.
Someone using the ip 199.106.86.2 (T-C-L) which happens to belong to Point Loma Nazarene University (T-H-L) where Lodahl is a professor seems to be a big fan of his.
Using WorldCat (T-H-L) as a source is a new one on me. We're off to AFD.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 pm
rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm
Michael Lodahl (T-H-L)
Using WorldCat (T-H-L) as a source is a new one on me. We're off to AFD.
I've seen it used before.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm

This one just came up in a help desk thread: List of company name etymologies (T-H-L). It contains such critical information as telling us that Ernst & Young (T-H-L) is named after two guys by those names and that Skyline Chili (T-H-L) was named for the view at its first location. Why anyone would come to this list looking for this information as opposed to going to the articles on the individual entities is a bit hazy.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm
This one just came up in a help desk thread: List of company name etymologies (T-H-L). It contains such critical information as telling us that Ernst & Young (T-H-L) is named after two guys by those names and that Skyline Chili (T-H-L) was named for the view at its first location. Why anyone would come to this list looking for this information as opposed to going to the articles on the individual entities is a bit hazy.
It's "number forty-two will amaze you!" WP clickbait.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm
It's "number forty-two will amaze you!" WP clickbait.
And it includes acronyms like
ABC – American Broadcasting Company
:facepalm:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

Multiracial Antiguans and Barbudans (T-H-L)
You can probably guess the lead sentence:
Multiracial Antiguans and Barbudans are Antiguans and Barbudans of more than one race or ethnicity.
And don't even bother clicking on the reference links.
But the best part is the infobox:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:27 pm

Tim Follin (T-H-L)

classic blp mess
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:00 pm

ltbdl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:27 pm
Tim Follin (T-H-L)

classic blp mess
I am sure that single purpose account BaggyTim (T-C-L) totally doesn't have a COI regarding Tim Follin or his company Baggy Cat Ltd.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 pm

2008 United States Senate election in Arkansas (T-H-L)
The Democratic incumbent Mark Pryor (T-H-L) won reelection.
The article lead includes this sentence:
Pryor won re-election with almost 80% of the vote, despite Republican John McCain winning the state by nearly 20 points in the concurrent presidential election.
And there is a list of 20 "Counties that flipped from Republican to Democratic"

There was no Republican candidate. :facepalm:

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm

List of haplogroups of historic people (T-H-L)

There are a lot of bad articles about "haplogroups", but this one has to be the worst.