Crap articles

Disgruntled haddock
Critic
kołdry

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by Disgruntled haddock » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 pm

DarthBotto wrote:Though not "crap", Boogeyman 2 (T-H-L) does not seem like FA content at all. It has a review with some of the softest-hitting comments I have ever seen. Most GAs are tougher than this.
That article is pretty crappily written. The lede alone is awful:
Due to the previous film's financial success, Boogeyman 2 was announced in October 2006.
Are sequels of financially successful films typically announced in October 2006? "Due to" is not the right way to phrase what is intended.
Filming took place in Los Angeles at the former hospital, Linda Vista Community Hospital, over a four-month period,
There is apparently only one former hospital in Los Angeles!

Botto
Contributor

Unread post by Botto » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 am

Disgruntled haddock wrote:
DarthBotto wrote:Though not "crap", Boogeyman 2 (T-H-L) does not seem like FA content at all. It has a review with some of the softest-hitting comments I have ever seen. Most GAs are tougher than this.
That article is pretty crappily written. The lede alone is awful:
Due to the previous film's financial success, Boogeyman 2 was announced in October 2006.
Are sequels of financially successful films typically announced in October 2006? "Due to" is not the right way to phrase what is intended.
Filming took place in Los Angeles at the former hospital, Linda Vista Community Hospital, over a four-month period,
There is apparently only one former hospital in Los Angeles!
Okay, now that I look at it, I suppose it is a bit of a piece of shit. There's barely enough there as is, not to mention it's fluffed up by the extra sentences about trivia that doesn't even read well.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Full moon cycle (T-H-L): if this is not one of the biggest pieces of original research I've come across on Wikipedia, then it's gross plagiarism because very little of the article is covered by the references.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 am

Poetlister wrote:Full moon cycle (T-H-L): if this is not one of the biggest pieces of original research I've come across on Wikipedia, then it's gross plagiarism because very little of the article is covered by the references.
I've nominated this for deletion. We'll see.

linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... omination)[/link]

RfB

P.S. I see that it was kept in a previous deletion challenge back in 2006. That's a whole bunch of Full Moon Cycles ago...

P.P.S. Here's the first Ultra Retarded Horseshit version of the article, dating back to June 2, 2003: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... did=990337[/link]

It cites an October 2002 post to something called CALNDR-L as the origin of the term.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:58 am

Poetlister wrote:Full moon cycle (T-H-L): if this is not one of the biggest pieces of original research I've come across on Wikipedia, then it's gross plagiarism because very little of the article is covered by the references.
You know an article is bad if ClueBot NG has among the most edits made to it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:53 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
I've nominated this for deletion. We'll see.

linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... omination)[/link]

RfB

P.S. I see that it was kept in a previous deletion challenge back in 2006. That's a whole bunch of Full Moon Cycles ago...

P.P.S. Here's the first Ultra Retarded Horseshit version of the article, dating back to June 2, 2003: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... did=990337[/link]

It cites an October 2002 post to something called CALNDR-L as the origin of the term.
Thanks very much.

A ridiculous comment: ""Keep" - this article does have several references at the end of it, negating the view that this is all original research. Most of the references are to books.Vorbee (talk) 09:32, 13 July 2017 (UTC)" None of the references can justify the great bulk of the article.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Poetlister wrote: ...
A ridiculous comment: ""Keep" - this article does have several references at the end of it, negating the view that this is all original research. Most of the references are to books.Vorbee (talk) 09:32, 13 July 2017 (UTC)"
Sadly, Vorbee (T-C-L) seems to have a habit of making ridiculous comments at AFDs:
"Keep" - the name does seem to ring a bell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =788564525

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Full moon cycle is now listed as a potential hoax.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Full moon cycle is now listed as a potential hoax.
I put that up as a kick in the crotch for people to take a look at the piece.

It seems more and more to me like a completely made up concept, but I'm not an astronomer and don't play one on TV.

RfB

Botto
Contributor

Unread post by Botto » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:51 pm

...a cycle of about 14 lunations over which full moons vary in apparent size and age...
What the fuck does that even mean? What were they thinking?!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Full moon cycle is now listed as a potential hoax.
I put that up as a kick in the crotch for people to take a look at the piece.

It seems more and more to me like a completely made up concept, but I'm not an astronomer and don't play one on TV.

RfB
Some of the actual astronomy crew are now weighing in. They say it's not a hoax concept but that the article is an Original Research fiesta.

Probable outcome will be blanking in favor of a redirect to Supermoon (T-H-L).

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm

DarthBotto wrote:
...a cycle of about 14 lunations over which full moons vary in apparent size and age...
What the fuck does that even mean? What were they thinking?!
I think it's saying that the full moon is particularly close to the Earth and hence apparently large every 14 cycles, and that there is also a variation over the same period in the interval from new to full moon. It makes sense but alas it's not true.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:09 am

Finnish profanity (T-H-L)

Tagged with an OR template since 2007.

First paragraph is:
Many Finns use profanity in everyday speech more than people of other nationalities. While not all Finns swear, frequent swearing is a mark of youth culture, sometimes the elderly, and usually not the middle-aged. However, it is commonly considered impolite to swear excessively in public and at official occasions, and particularly in front of children in all regions of the world. Use of swearwords may also imply familiarity as opposed to official distance. Swearwords are used as intensifiers, adjectives, adverbs, particles and to start or finish sentences. There is also an aggressive mood that involves omission of the negative verb ei while implying its meaning with a swear word.
Virtually all of it is unsourced. I don't even know how one could source most of the things written there.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:52 am

Kingsindian wrote:Finnish profanity (T-H-L)
Tagged with an OR template since 2007.
[...]
Virtually all of it is unsourced. I don't even know how one could source most of the things written there.
It might be worth looking in the archives of Maledicta (T-H-L), "The International Journal of Verbal Aggression,". I have a few copies lying around somewhere.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Kingsindian wrote:Finnish profanity (T-H-L)
Oh, perkele (T-H-L)!!!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Many Finns use profanity in everyday speech more than people of other nationalities.
That's totally meaningless. Maybe many do, maybe many indeed most don't. Are they saying that the average Finn swears more than the average person of every other nationality (however you define average)? How do you measure the quantity of swearing?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

There is now a statement in the AfD from one of the original authors, Tom Peters (T-C-L), PhD (chemistry). He admits that he took formulae published by Jean Meeus (T-H-L) and produced "a very simplified, dumbed down version". However, "the chance of getting the approximation described in the FMC article published in a peer-reviewed journal (paper on electronic) is zero. There is a nasty chasm between what science editors consider too trivial to publish, and what Wikipedia guardians consider not trivial but "original research"." So he has done original research and put it into a WP article. That's what I thought.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Bhutanese passport (meme) (T-H-L) must be the most navel-gazing article I have seen. It's a Wikipedia article about a Wikipedia article. Still, at least it's sourced – to Wikipediocracy. Hooray!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Poetlister wrote:There is now a statement in the AfD from one of the original authors, Tom Peters (T-C-L), PhD (chemistry). He admits that he took formulae published by Jean Meeus (T-H-L) and produced "a very simplified, dumbed down version". However, "the chance of getting the approximation described in the FMC article published in a peer-reviewed journal (paper on electronic) is zero. There is a nasty chasm between what science editors consider too trivial to publish, and what Wikipedia guardians consider not trivial but "original research"." So he has done original research and put it into a WP article. That's what I thought.
Another author, Victor Engel (T-C-L), says "I personally verified and derived separately the results contained here. As Tom Peters says, it just takes some arithmetic (using values found here in wikipedia, in fact) and a dedication of time." In other words, it's original research. It may well be roughly correct, but that's no defence under WP:NOR.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Poetlister wrote:There is now a statement in the AfD from one of the original authors, Tom Peters (T-C-L), PhD (chemistry). He admits that he took formulae published by Jean Meeus (T-H-L) and produced "a very simplified, dumbed down version". However, "the chance of getting the approximation described in the FMC article published in a peer-reviewed journal (paper on electronic) is zero. There is a nasty chasm between what science editors consider too trivial to publish, and what Wikipedia guardians consider not trivial but "original research"." So he has done original research and put it into a WP article. That's what I thought.
Another author, Victor Engel (T-C-L), says "I personally verified and derived separately the results contained here. As Tom Peters says, it just takes some arithmetic (using values found here in wikipedia, in fact) and a dedication of time." In other words, it's original research. …
In light of the loophole provided by WP:CALC, that's not at all clear to me. I've only glanced quickly over the article and a couple of the easily accessible sources, but the impression I got, even before reading Peters's and Engel's comments, was that the calculations needed to derive the results presented in the article are all probably quite routine. This is certainly true of those given in the first version of the article, characterised—somewhat amusingly to me—by Randy from Boise as "mathematical gibberish", although it's also certainly true that it's very poorly written for the audience one might expect to be reading a general encyclopedia.

The big problem with WP:CALC, of course, is that what constitutes a "routine" calculation is highly dependent on who is doing the calculating.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Considering that the people who wrote and checked the article appear to be reasonably competent, and that their mathematics is correct, it is clear that this is an addition to the sum of human knowledge, if perhaps not at a stellar level [see what I did there?]. It is equally clear that Wikipedia cannot carry it, because they do not allow themselves the concept of expertise, or peer review, or all those old-fashioned things that crowd-sourcing is going to sweep away.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:In light of the loophole provided by WP:CALC, that's not at all clear to me. ... The big problem with WP:CALC, of course, is that what constitutes a "routine" calculation is highly dependent on who is doing the calculating.
I think you've answered your own question. This is not a routine calculation. They took an extremely complex problem and produced, as they say, "a very simplified, dumbed down version". Deciding how to simplify, what approximations are adequate and how to present their solution are all far from routine.

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Poetlister wrote:This is not a routine calculation. They took an extremely complex problem and produced, as they say, "a very simplified, dumbed down version". Deciding how to simplify, what approximations are adequate and how to present their solution are all far from routine.
Obviously, judgment calls such as "complexity" and "simplicity" depend on context. In fact, the problem itself is not a particularly "complex" one in comparison to more famous examples such as, say, predicting eclipses. Rather than academic journals, the authors of the piece would have been better advised to pitch their work as popular-level science journalism. As a pedagogical exercise, the actual numbers and approximations are well-motivated and represent perfectly good work.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

An unreferenced WP:BLP (T-H-L) since 2007, with only references to the subject's own writings.

Graphic designer Rosemary Sassoon (T-H-L) engineered a family of fonts or typefaces for teaching children reading and printing. There are many scholarly articles on her work.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:An unreferenced WP:BLP (T-H-L) since 2007, with only references to the subject's own writings.

Graphic designer Rosemary Sassoon (T-H-L) engineered a family of fonts or typefaces for teaching children reading and printing. There are many scholarly articles on her work.
She's from a highly notable family. I think that she's the sister of Vidal Sassoon (T-H-L).

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Duct tape (T-H-L)

So was it originally called 'duck tape' or not? The article says it was. And then says it wasn't...

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:Duct tape (T-H-L)

So was it originally called 'duck tape' or not? The article says it was. And then says it wasn't...
Bonus, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle link is broken, and it is apparently an important source that may be misinterpreted, as explained here.

I've found that debatable etymologies like this are often not resolved adequately by Wikipedia.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 pm

thekohser wrote:I've found that debatable etymologies like this are often not resolved adequately by Wikipedia.
You mean that crowdsourcing can fail to produce a perfect article? :hmmm:

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 pm

thekohser wrote:
AndyTheGrump wrote:Duct tape (T-H-L)

Bonus, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle link is broken, and it is apparently an important source that may be misinterpreted, as explained here.

I've found that debatable etymologies like this are often not resolved adequately by Wikipedia.
The same is said about the debatable etymology of flamenco: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8380

Botto
Contributor

Unread post by Botto » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:58 am

I've come to the conclusion that Full moon cycle will not be deleted. There are too many people weighing in, saying the "simplified" math is correct. It's doesn't matter if the contents of the page are unique to Wikipedia and Wikipedia alone-- too many people have spoken, so it will be no consensus.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm

DarthBotto wrote:I've come to the conclusion that Full moon cycle will not be deleted. There are too many people weighing in, saying the "simplified" math is correct. It's doesn't matter if the contents of the page are unique to Wikipedia and Wikipedia alone-- too many people have spoken, so it will be no consensus.
Sorry, wrong. "The result was redirect to Supermoon. Clear consensus not to keep. Editorial discussion may determine whether there is any non-OR content that can be merged from history. Sandstein 07:45, 21 July 2017 (UTC)"

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Arnold Wilson (T-H-L): The lede correctly says "Wilson was the third Member of Parliament (MP) to be killed in World War II when serving as an aircrew member at the advanced age of 55." It fails to point out the key fact, which is clear from the article, that he was only serving at his advanced age because he'd been shamed into it due to his earlier support for Hitler, Mussolini and Franco.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Clear to you, perhaps. However, none of the statements in the article about his support for Nazism and Fascism are supported by references to reliable sources, and a guess about his motivation remains just a guess rather than a "key fact". There is a more nuanced description of his views in the DNB.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Clear to you, perhaps. However, none of the statements in the article about his support for Nazism and Fascism are supported by references to reliable sources, and a guess about his motivation remains just a guess rather than a "key fact". There is a more nuanced description of his views in the DNB.
His statement "I hope to God Franco wins in Spain, and the sooner the better" is sourced to a well-known book. The description "an admirer of Hitler and an unscrupulous propagandist for Mussolini and Hitler" comes from the New Statesman, though that may be dubious as no exact reference is given. But if you feel that this section significantly misrepresents him, all the more reason to call it a bad article.

Here's another interesting source which should perhaps be added to the article.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H0a ... 22&f=false

It confirms the Franco quote and adds "I have met Hitler repeatedly. I believe him to be a great instrument of peace in the world."

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:40 am

Uchu Sentai Kyuranger the Movie: Gase Indaver Strikes Back (T-H-L)
Wikipedia wrote:The Kyurangers have little time to stop the evil Gase Indaver who plans to destroy Earth with his massive ship.
Words fail me.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:57 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:Uchu Sentai Kyuranger the Movie: Gase Indaver Strikes Back (T-H-L)
Wikipedia wrote:The Kyurangers have little time to stop the evil Gase Indaver who plans to destroy Earth with his massive ship.
Words fail me.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:27 am

Poetlister wrote:His statement "I hope to God Franco wins in Spain, and the sooner the better" is sourced to a well-known book. The description "an admirer of Hitler and an unscrupulous propagandist for Mussolini and Hitler" comes from the New Statesman, though that may be dubious as no exact reference is given. But if you feel that this section significantly misrepresents him, all the more reason to call it a bad article.

Here's another interesting source which should perhaps be added to the article.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H0a ... 22&f=false

It confirms the Franco quote and adds "I have met Hitler repeatedly. I believe him to be a great instrument of peace in the world."
I thnk we agree it's an awful article. However, you're in danger of committing the same sort of mistake that Wikipedia contributors make when they think they can simpy retroject their own opinions and prejudices back into another, different, era. It was possible in the 1930s to support Franco without being a Nazi or a Fascist which at that time meant supporting Hitler or Mussolini respectively. It was also possible to believe, or hope, that Hitler and Mussolini would be, on balance, lesser evils than the alternatives of, say, Stalin, or, anarchy and choas, or another even more devastating war. It was possible to believe or hope that Hitler wanted peace. With eighty years of hindsight we see those hopes and beliefs as foolish at best. But to quote a political magazine of the 1930s making a polemical point against someone who differed from its own position, and present that as if it were an objective assessment of his beliefs framed in the language of the 21st century, when with our hindsight, being a supporter of Hitler is a very different thing, is the sort of nonsense that Wikipeda promotes. Its critics need to do better.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 am

He seems indeed to have been a supporter of Mussolini and Hitler. Did you look at the link I gave? Apprently, even after the invasion of Czechoslovakia he was still arguing "be prepared to consider the return to Germany of some of her former colonies as part of a general settlement". And he considered America to be a bigger threat than Germany to British culture.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am

Arguing in the 1930s that Mussolini should be left alone, or that Hitler should be appeased by returning former German territories to Germany, are not what we would now call being a "supporter of" Mussolini and Hitler – just as today one might believe that the Eastern Ukraine was not worth fighting over without being a supporter of Putin, or that the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia was the lesser of two evils without being a supporter of Ho Chi Minh, or that US policy in the Middle East is unwise without being a supporter of bin Laden, or that the Euro is damaging the economy of the EU without being a supporter of Syriza. Arguing today that it would have been better to oppose Fascism and Nazism earlier, more vocally and more actively is a sounder proposition with the benefit of hindsight than it was at the time. As I pointed out, it requires knowledge and expertise to write sensible articles about complicated and emotive historical subjects, and Wikipedia positively discourages that. Oh, and the page you lnked to explicitly states that some other people thought that about the American film industry.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:And he considered America to be a bigger threat than Germany to British culture.
Well, America did eventually export to London a certain Alabama-born Internet entrepreneur who brought a British wireless company crashing down. :evilgrin:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Episkyros (T-H-L), a ball game in Ancient Greece. The article decribes it as "Highly teamwork oriented", citing "Epikoinos: The Ball Game Episkuros and Iliad 12.421–23", a paper by David F. Elmer in Classical Philology Vol. 103, No. 4 (October 2008), pp. 414-423. Does the paper support this claim? No. It's about the name, not the game, and explicitly states "This is virtually all we can say with confidence". The article wants to make it a predecessor of football, in spite of the Elmer reference making it clear it's a sort of handball. The rest of the article is cobbled together from a variety of sources that mention episkyros, phaininda and harpastum, treating those mentions as if they were synomyms rather than alternatives. Probably original research with a subtext of placing the origins of a very popular modern game in the contributors' favoured location.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 am

Poetlister wrote:
lonza leggiera wrote:In light of the loophole provided by WP:CALC, that's not at all clear to me. ... The big problem with WP:CALC, of course, is that what constitutes a "routine" calculation is highly dependent on who is doing the calculating.
I think you've answered your own question. This is not a routine calculation. They took an extremely complex problem and produced, as they say, "a very simplified, dumbed down version". Deciding how to simplify, what approximations are adequate and how to present their solution are all far from routine.
Well, like I said, what constitutes a routine calculation depends on who is doing the calculating. What Tom Peters actually wrote about "a very simplified, dumbed down version" was the following:
Tom Peters on Wikipedia wrote: The fact is that the FMC article describes a very simplified, dumbed down version of an algorithm [N.B. "algorithm", not "extremely complex problem"] published by Jean Meeus (T-H-L) in his Astronomical Formulae for Calculators (ca. 1980) and his Astronomical Algorithms (1991, 1992, 1998), which I do cite as the reference in the FMC article.
link
The "algorithm" referred to by Peters actually comprises at least two algorithms—one for calculating the times of the Moon's phases, and the other for calculating the times of its apogees and perigees. Both algorithms consist of nothing more than evaluating sums of a polynomial of degree four and sinusoidal terms whose amplitudes and arguments are likewise polynomials of degree at most four. They are not very complicated at all, let alone "extremely complicated". While their implementations might not be routine for the average squabble of Wikipedians, I can assure you they are quite straightforward, and routine, for me.

What I would not claim to be routine for me, are the calculations needed to check the material in the last two sections, Full moon cycle and the saros - using the FMC for predicting eclipses and Use of full moon cycle in predicting new and full_moons, of the final version of the article. I am insufficiently familar with some of the necessary astronomical concepts to be able to make that claim. I suspect, however, that the necessary calculations would be quite routine for most professional astronomers, or even for some serious amateur astronomers.

The first three sections of that final version of the article are a different matter, however. I am sufficiently familiar with the elementary astronomical concepts necessary for the calculations needed to check those sections to be quite routine for me. Besides parts of the exposition's being woeful, there remains an elementary blunder perpetrated by the following edits:
Contributor from IP adress 167.202.196.71 on Wikipedia wrote: [Highlighting of differences added]

The orbit period (T-H-L) of the Moon from perigee to apogee and back to perigee is called the anomalistic month (T-H-L), and its average duration is:

AM = 27.55454988 days

Full moons repeat in a cycle called synodic month (T-H-L), and it has an average duration of:

SM = 29.53058885 days

in place of

The orbit period (T-H-L) of the Moon from perigee to apogee and back to perigee is called the anomalistic month (T-H-L), and its average duration is:

AM = 27.55455 days

Full moons repeat in a cycle called synodic month (T-H-L), and it has an average duration of:

SM = 29.530589 days

link

I suspect, but am by no means sure, that the "TP" in the edit summary of the above edit was intended to indicate that the contributor was, in fact, Tom Peters.
Tom Peters on Wikipedia wrote: [Highlighting of differences added]

The average duration of the anomalistic month is:

AM = 27.55454988 days (see Meeus (1991) eq. 48.1)

The synodic month has an average duration of:

SM = 29.530588853 days (see Meeus (1991) eq. 47.1)

in place of

The average duration of the anomalistic month is:

AM = 27.55454988 days

The synodic month has an average duration of:

SM = 29.53058885

link

What Meeus's formulas actually tell us is that the quantities, 27.55454988 and 29.53058885 days are the Moon's anomalistic and synodic periods, respecitively, accurate to the number of decimal places given, at the turn of this century, but also that over the last 17 years the anomalistic period has been decreasing by about 10-8 days per year and the synodic period increasing by about 2 x 10-9 days per year. Thus, the eighth and last decimal place of the anomalistic period will have already changed within not more than a year after the turn of the century, and the ninth and last decimal place of the synodic period within not more than six months after it. By the beginning of 2003, the year in which the first of the above-cited edits was made, the anomalistic period had fallen to 27.55454985 days, and the synodic period risen to 29.530588860. On the other hand, the less precise values for these quantities, 27.55455 and 29.530589 days, respectively, replaced by the anonymous editor with the first of the above edits, will—according to Meeus's formulas—remain accurate to the number of decimal places given until about 2270 and 2300, respectively

These edits therefore don't inspire much confidence in the technical quality of the rest of the article.
Last edited by Smiley on Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix links
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 am

Yechiel (Eli) Shainblum (T-H-L). Unreferenced biography of a Canadian painter, sculptor and teacher from Montreal. Allegedly the greatuncle of Mark Shainblum (T-H-L). "It is likely that Shainblum would be better known nationally and internationally if his work had been more widely seen during his lifetime". Quite. Is there any reason to believe this person ever existed?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Yechiel (Eli) Shainblum (T-H-L). Unreferenced biography of a Canadian painter, sculptor and teacher from Montreal. Allegedly the greatuncle of Mark Shainblum (T-H-L). "It is likely that Shainblum would be better known nationally and internationally if his work had been more widely seen during his lifetime". Quite. Is there any reason to believe this person ever existed?
I can't find much in Google that doesn't wrap back to Wikipedia. It's the sort of thing you would have to grab books on Canadian Artists and make a few phone calls. Did you just find a hoax?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am

One sign of a hoax is that the article explains why its subject is not better known ... but discussion at the talk page of Writerguy (T-C-L), the main author, suggests a personal connection.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:One sign of a hoax is that the article explains why its subject is not better known ... but discussion at the talk page of Writerguy (T-C-L), the main author, suggests a personal connection.
Could you go into a bit more detail or quote what you're referring to, please?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

lonza leggiera
Gregarious

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Yechiel (Eli) Shainblum (T-H-L). Unreferenced biography of a Canadian painter, sculptor and teacher from Montreal. Allegedly the greatuncle of Mark Shainblum (T-H-L). "It is likely that Shainblum would be better known nationally and internationally if his work had been more widely seen during his lifetime". Quite. Is there any reason to believe this person ever existed?
  • Foster's Auction Gallery, of Newcastle Maine, had two paintings by an Eli Shainblum up for auction last New Year's Day.
  • A Yechiel Shainblum is listed on p.365 of Journals of Yaakov Zipper, 1950-1982: The Struggle for Yiddishkeit as a "teacher, art teacher at the Jewish People's schools". This book was published in 2004, some 2 years before the Wikipedia article on Yechiel (Eli) Shainblum was created.
  • The Montreal Gazette of Apr. 29-May 1, 2016, in an obituary for a Mrs Faigie R. Tanner (nee Shainblum) characterises her as the oldest child of Yechiel Eli and Libe Shainblum.
  • A biography of Hannah Senesh (T-H-L), produced by the Jewish Shool Publishing House in 1972, lists a Yechiel Shainblum as responsible for its cover.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:The "algorithm" referred to by Peters actually comprises at least two algorithms—one for calculating the times of the Moon's phases, and the other for calculating the times of its apogees and perigees. Both algorithms consist of nothing more than evaluating sums of a polynomial of degree four and sinusoidal terms whose amplitudes and arguments are likewise polynomials of degree at most four. They are not very complicated at all, let alone "extremely complicated". While their implementations might not be routine for the average squabble of Wikipedians, I can assure you they are quite straightforward, and routine, for me.
Yes, they are quite straightforward, and routine, for me too. I doubt that many people here are inexperienced in evaluating sums of a polynomial of degree four and sinusoidal terms whose amplitudes and arguments are likewise polynomials of degree at most four. Who here would blink even at formulae involving Bessel functions or Airy functions? But is it reasonable to expect the average user of Wikipedia to be equally numerate?

Also, I repeat, the conversion of these formulae by Meeus (and he keeps changing these formulae with each new book he writes) to the far simpler formulae in the WP article requires considerable expertise and is not that obvious.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:
  • Foster's Auction Gallery, of Newcastle Maine, had two paintings by an Eli Shainblum up for auction last New Year's Day.
  • A Yechiel Shainblum is listed on p.365 of Journals of Yaakov Zipper, 1950-1982: The Struggle for Yiddishkeit as a "teacher, art teacher at the Jewish People's schools". This book was published in 2004, some 2 years before the Wikipedia article on Yechiel (Eli) Shainblum was created.
  • The Montreal Gazette of Apr. 29-May 1, 2016, in an obituary for a Mrs Faigie R. Tanner (nee Shainblum) characterises her as the oldest child of Yechiel Eli and Libe Shainblum.
  • A biography of Hannah Senesh (T-H-L), produced by the Jewish Shool Publishing House in 1972, lists a Yechiel Shainblum as responsible for its cover.
I found the obit, but your other discoveries at least confirm he existed.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

We could perhaps speak with the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery of Ontario about Shainblum.