Involuntary celibacy

Kelly Martin
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Involuntary celibacy

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Casliber wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:I actually think it's appropriate for Wikipedia to have content about the "incel" phenomenon. Not content justifying the incel theory itself; that's obvious hogwash. Rather, the article should be about the trend in the United States for men to whine incessantly about their inability to get dates (which is in no way a new phenomenon) and to blame that failure not simply on being insufficiently attractive or sexy (as was the case in years gone by) but on a conspiracy to deny them sex, or some other external, often malevolent, force, with which they have no hope to compete and which they must therefore eliminate through force. It's this phenomenon, and the violence that proceeds from it, that is notable.
In which case the whole area would be covered under different articles with different names.
I can't disagree with that editorial opinion.

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Unread post by MoldyHay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:55 am

MisterTester wrote:And that they are being prevented from this goal by conspiracy, from the people they desire.

Which is why mental health is the answer here.
Or there actually is a conspiracy, in which case you ignore it and get married and have kids anyway. No conspiracy is foolproof or everlasting.

At least that's how I handled it.
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:05 pm

spartaz wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ecember_21
...... and its back...... What a surprise.....

Its appears our hero has an objection to the article being at its natural home and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ion/Incels
This is one of the only times I wish I was overtly back at the Wikipedia, to vote down this nonsense. Valoem is a twit, and despite the doth-protest-to-much act, is very much a nutjob incel advocate.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

MisterTester
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MisterTester
Actual Name: Randy Neal

Unread post by MisterTester » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Tarc wrote:

Its appears our hero has an objection to the article being at its natural home and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ion/Incels
This is one of the only times I wish I was overtly back at the Wikipedia, to vote down this nonsense. Valoem is a twit, and despite the doth-protest-to-much act, is very much a nutjob incel advocate.
The editor that calls himself Valoem, among other aliases, is telling his gamer friends to go and vote to keep the article. He is also using other Wikipedia accounts and posting as an ip to avoid scrutiny. He is obsessed with that article.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:00 pm

MisterTester wrote:
Tarc wrote:

The editor that calls himself Valoem, among other aliases, is telling his gamer friends to go and vote to keep the article. He is also using other Wikipedia accounts and posting as an ip to avoid scrutiny. He is obsessed with that article.
His other addiction is to that Wikipediot "Rescue Squad" mentality, as on his user page he is quite proud of the many articles "saved" following a deletion discussion. The project has enough of a problem with all the different stripes of wiki-wingnut, which gets worse when a single editor has multiple stripes.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Tokenevil
Regular

Unread post by Tokenevil » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Incel is a shit concept, cause "I can't get laid at the moment" is not a rare condition.

But I suppose it exist. The question if it is notable for more people than an half dozen of forums.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:18 am

But I suppose it exist. The question if it is notable for more people than an half dozen of forums.
I think involuntary hunger and involuntary thirst should be much more notable than this, given that they hit many more people in the less developed world!

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:57 am

Large enough body pillows (those at least five feet long and be well-stuffed) can be used for "male personal bedtime activities" as well without others becoming suspicious of one's "nighttime habit." Yes, body pillows are not just for pregnant women.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:10 am

Johnny Au wrote:Large enough body pillows (those at least five feet long and be well-stuffed) can be used for "male personal bedtime activities" as well without others becoming suspicious of one's "nighttime habit." Yes, body pillows are not just for pregnant women.
For the record, I don't want to know how you know that.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Large enough body pillows (those at least five feet long and be well-stuffed) can be used for "male personal bedtime activities" as well without others becoming suspicious of one's "nighttime habit." Yes, body pillows are not just for pregnant women.
I assume there's an article on Wikipedia about it.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Larkin
Banned
Wikipedia User: A Sextet Short of PG(2,57)

Unread post by Larkin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
I assume there's an article on Wikipedia about it.
A disambiguation page Dutch wife (T-H-L) and an article Bamboo wife (T-H-L). There's a Commons image here which gives you handy tips on how to use the latter (so-called "incel inside" position).
Where ignorant drmies clash by night

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:16 pm

:topicsucks:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Moral Hazard wrote: :topicsucks:
+∞

Larkin
Banned

Unread post by Larkin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Cla68 wrote:I thought that a simple concept like involuntary celibacy wouldn't be that controversial. There have been actual academic studies into the phenomenon. However, apparently on Wikipedia, it is highly suspect.

I think there are a couple of reasons why Wikipedians view the topic with distrust. One, is that the related "incels" meme is used on 4chan and the Reddit "Men's Rights" sub-forums, and anything those people accept must be denigrated by the current house POV in WP. More than that, however, is that I think the topic hits a little close to home for a lot of Wikipedians. I suspect a lack of success in mating strategy is a common problem with Wikipedia's regulars. Therefore, an article treating it as some kind of disease must make them a little uncomfortable.
I didn't know this, but a little actual reading (that thing) shows that the premise of the opening post above and subsequent posts in this thread is misinformed i.e. that "incels" is a term not to be confused (so it would seem) with "involuntary celibates", the latter a link to an article on Involuntary celibacy (T-H-L) that is now going through its fourth nomination for deletion and which claims that the term "incel" should be reserved for mysogonic men who blame not getting it on women not putting it rather than any shortcomings of their own.
It is indeed a mystery to me too. I hardly ever got it myself and was often to be found on my academic blog lamenting that I had been trying to get laid all day to no avail, despite paying close appreciative attention to such things as my secretaries' faux red leather boots with five inch spikes, their divine boobs, and so on. Might have well all fallen on deaf ears as far as any genuinely appreciative response was concerned.
Just mentioning in the interest of science.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Larkin wrote:There's a Commons image here which gives you handy tips on how to use the latter (so-called "incel inside" position).
I don't see how that photo has a GFDL licence. It is taken off the photographer's personal site, but not by the photographer. If the photographer uploaded it to Wikipedia and then someone else moved it to Commons, shouldn't it say so?

The link actually points to a different picture.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

MisterTester
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MisterTester
Actual Name: Randy Neal

Unread post by MisterTester » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Larkin wrote:There's a Commons image here which gives you handy tips on how to use the latter (so-called "incel inside" position).
I don't see how that photo has a GFDL licence. It is taken off the photographer's personal site, but not by the photographer. If the photographer uploaded it to Wikipedia and then someone else moved it to Commons, shouldn't it say so?

I don't know about the license questions, but here is a link to the page which the picture is present.

http://www.thomasalbert.com/korea/folk_ ... /index.htm

If you scroll down, you see the picture and the description saying ---- For sleeping comfort, a bamboo cylinder, called "bamboo wife" or "dutch wife" -----

I think the other caption is in Korean within the picture. The actual link to the picture is here.
http://www.thomasalbert.com/korea/folk_ ... dex.56.jpg

Just in case someone wants to fix it.

Larkin
Banned

Unread post by Larkin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:

That might well be. Copyright not my thing at all. I did think "Dutch wife" tolerably interesting. I'm not entirely convinced about keeping cool was all the reason - Johnny might have a point.

spartaz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Spartaz
Wikipedia Review Member: Spartaz

Unread post by spartaz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:55 pm

...... and now its gone and salted and hopefully put to bed.

We also found our hero's heart. He pities my children. Ain't that sweet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =698754088
Evil by definition
Badly spelled by crappy tablet
Humbugg!

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:33 am

I give it 2 months tops before he tries again.

Btw, it appears that our Valoem is finding his notoriety tiring.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

Sweden is conducting an experiment in involuntary celibacy, constructing inhumane sex-ratios for youth.
According to Swedish government statistics, as of the end of November, 71 percent of all applicants for asylum to Sweden in 2015 were male. More than 21 percent of all migrants to Sweden were classified as unaccompanied minors, representing more than half of all minor migrants to the country. For accompanied minors, the sex ratio was about 1.16 boys for every one girl. But for unaccompanied minors, the ratio was 11.3 boys for every one girl. In other words, the Swedish case confirms IOM’s statistic that more than 90 percent of unaccompanied minors are male. Indeed, on average, approximately 90 unaccompanied boys entered Sweden every single day in 2015, compared with eight unaccompanied girls.

Those numbers are a recipe for striking imbalances within Sweden. Consider that more than half of these unaccompanied minors entering Sweden are 16 or 17 years old, or at least claim to be. (There are no medical checks of age for Swedish asylum-seekers, and applicants who say they’re under 18 receive special consideration in the asylum process.) In this age group more than three-quarters are unaccompanied, meaning they are overwhelmingly male. According to calculations based on the Swedish government’s figures, a total of 18,615 males aged 16 and 17 entered Sweden over the course of the past year, compared with 2,555 females of the same age. Sure enough, when those figures are added to the existing counts of 16- and 17-year-old boys and girls in Sweden—103,299 and 96,524, respectively, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s International Database—you end up with a total of 121,914 males in Sweden aged 16 or 17 and 99,079 females of the same age. The resulting ratio is astonishing: These calculations suggest that as of the end of 2015, there were 123 16- and 17-year-old boys in Sweden for every 100 girls of that age.
66.26 percent of adult migrants registered through Italy and Greece over the past year were male, according to the International Organization of Migration.

more than 20 percent of migrants are minors below the age of 18, and the IOM estimates that more than half of those minors traveling to Europe are traveling as unaccompanied minors—90 percent of whom are males. This heavily male subset is all but guaranteed asylum because of their status as unaccompanied minors, but they get no special dispensation to bring spouses, especially since the European Court of Human Rights recently ruled that European Union countries are not required to recognize the legality of child marriages among migrants.
Europe’s Man Problem: Migrants to Europe skew heavily male—and that’s dangerous.
By Valerie Hudson
1/05/2016

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... men-213500
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)