Fanatic: Commas must not be corrected by banned users

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kenobi5487

Fanatic: Commas must not be corrected by banned users

Unread post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:27 am

Sifting through AN/I regular BS, I happened to stumble upon this piece of work: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _no_reason[/link]

Apparently, Winkelvi (T-C-L) flew off the handle because Zoey Homes (T-C-L) (a user they suspected of being a sock) corrected a single comma on Patrick Bouvier Kennedy (T-H-L) (diff here), thus proceeding to start a huge edit war, all in the name of WP: DENY.

You would think that they had learned something from Mr. Kohs' breaching experiment.

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Re: Fanatic: Commas must not be corrected by banned users

Unread post by MoldyHay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:29 pm

That was true comedy. I'm not entirely sure how winklevi hasn't gotten indeffed yet...he's a dick to everyone, doesn't generate a ton of content, and doesn't appear to have any friends in high places...
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Where are you going to draw the line on WP:DENY? Allow some banned user to correct a comma, and before you know where you are, they'll have have passed RfA and be standing for ArbCom. :mellow:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Winkelvi (T-C-L) pretty much explains his actions on his userpage:
If you're here because of an editing issue or a revert I've made to one or more of your edits and you feel I've made an error, please leave me a civil message on my talk page. If you're here and see typos on my page, please refrain from believing you have a right to "fix" them. My userspace, my typos, my biz-ness (typo intentional). If the typos bother you so much, let me know. I'll git to fixin' 'em some day. (typos intentional)

Because being on the Autism Spectrum uffects everything I do (typo intentional), think, and say, whether it be in real life or on the internet, and since the reason why most people come to an editor's user space is to find out more about 'em, (typo intentional) I ask that you read the "The Autie Pact". Written beautifully by long-time editor User:ThatPeskyCommoner, the pact should be read by all neuro-typical Wikipedia editors in order to better understand how to work well and peacefully with non-neurotypical editors (such as myself). The pact is very complete, however, there are a couple of things I would add to them thar words frum Pesky (typos and grammatical errors intentional):

Because those of us on the Spectrum are unfailingly "rule-followers", we are also honest to a fault. When we are accused of lying or intentionally being disruptive or not acting in good faith, it's quite hurtful.
Because many of us on the spectrum have considerably higher-than-normal IQs and our brains often times run at break-neck speed, we can become "over-loaded" with data-input and information.
When that happens, we can either "snap" due to the stress and say or do something our normally logical brains wouldn't allow us to do;
or, we may implement coping strategies, one of which could be disengaging for a time from what is overloading and stressing us. This gives us time to analyze and work out what to do/say/think next.

When both the latter and former are employed, we appreciate it when those "around" us demonstrate patience while we may regroup. If we have only employed the former and have forgotten to be socially gracious, a gentle reminder to apologize to those we may have lashed out at is not a bad idea - if that apology is warranted. In the meantime, please don't pressure us while we are taking that time out. It only adds to our data overload.

Those of us on the spectrum who enjoy editing Wikipedia want pretty much the same thing the neurotypical editors want: to add to Wikipedia and have fun doing it. And to edit in peace. Because unwanted drama and the stress that goes with it sucks.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 am

I don't give a shit what you think about me or how you think it all makes me look. Maybe if you had been harassed as much as I have for months by this same vandal and sock master, you would feel the same. Not just in Wikipedia, but by email, as well.
Sounds a bit like Lightbreather, but less polite.
Last edited by Konveyor Belt on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always improving...

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 am

Konveyor Belt wrote:
I don't give a shit what you think about me or how you think it all makes me look. Maybe if you had been harassed as much as I have for months by this same vandal and sock master, you would feel the same. Not just in Wikipedia, but by email, as well.
Sounds like Lightbreather, but less polite about it.
Well, he's a DUDE after all...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Winkelvi may be able to get away with murder since he claims to have a mental illness that is responsible for his behavior (a claim he seemingly invented out of thin air amid several disputes he was in this past January).

Here is a great example from May: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... esult:_.29 a half dozen reverts in just over a day and walks away unharmed. A search of ANI and other archives finds more examples like this.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Wikiguy.DC wrote:Winkelvi may be able to get away with murder since he claims to have a mental illness that is responsible for his behavior (a claim he seemingly invented out of thin air amid several disputes he was in this past January).

Here is a great example from May: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... esult:_.29 a half dozen reverts in just over a day and walks away unharmed. A search of ANI and other archives finds more examples like this.
:welcome:
Always improving...

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Wikiguy.DC wrote:Winkelvi may be able to get away with murder since he claims to have a mental illness that is responsible for his behavior (a claim he seemingly invented out of thin air amid several disputes he was in this past January).

Asperger's can be considered a disability, but most with it can function in society with few problems. Steven Spielberg and Jerry Seinfield, for example.

There's always been a very vocal group on Wikipedia obsessed with following the rules to the letter, even if they do not make sense or the situation requires flexibility. When Wikipedia was created, "Ignore All Rules" was a major part of the culture. Now, you rarely can invoke IAR without a trip to Arbcom.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Wikiguy.DC
Critic

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:47 am

The Joy wrote:

Asperger's can be considered a disability, but most with it can function in society with few problems. Steven Spielberg and Jerry Seinfield, for example.

There's always been a very vocal group on Wikipedia obsessed with following the rules to the letter, even if they do not make sense or the situation requires flexibility. When Wikipedia was created, "Ignore All Rules" was a major part of the culture. Now, you rarely can invoke IAR without a trip to Arbcom.
Interestingly enough, the rule in this case WP:BANREVERT (T-H-L) suggested he shouldn't have edit warred to keep an obviously unneeded comma (and of course Winkelvi edit warred with BethNaught (T-C-L), which seems to have gone overlooked at ANI).

I also have a sneaking suspicion Winkelvi was originally created as a sleeper account, given how the account laid almost dormant for the better part of a year before editing nearly daily ever since. I can't put my finger on whose sleeper he was, but he certainly reminds me of a few problematic editors I ran into back when I was editing.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:39 pm

The Joy wrote:Asperger's can be considered a disability, but most with it can function in society with few problems. Steven Spielberg and Jerry Seinfield, for example.

There's always been a very vocal group on Wikipedia obsessed with following the rules to the letter, even if they do not make sense or the situation requires flexibility.
Funny, that's how people with Asperger's often tend to behave.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Wikiguy.DC
Critic

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:25 pm

And look who is back at ANI again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ease.3F.29

Why do I bother trolling him when he does this to himself.