Research newsletters

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Research newsletters

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Does anyone ever look at the monthly research newsletter?

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Researc ... /2015/June

It should provide material for at least one thread in most months.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Research newsletters

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Poetlister wrote:Does anyone ever look at the monthly research newsletter?
I have described it as "a well-done deliverable by WMF employee Tilman Bayer (credit where it's due!)".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Hmm. I venture to disagree. I have just been criticising a specific review by Aaron Halfaker in another thread. My impression is that there is an overwhelming tendency to give positive reviews to publications that put Wikipedia and the other projects in a good light, and to be aggressively negative about publications that do not. I had an energetic exchange over a review from August 2016 which commented, in a throwaway line, that "this sets an example for engineers and computer-science engineers, who often show a lack of awareness of certain ethical issues in their research". I have a standing challenge to WMF staff to retract that slur on the professionalism of an entire dscipline of researchers and practitioners, and to demonstrate the WMF ethical training programme. Strangely enough, this was not taken up.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:...to be aggressively negative...
I read the review you are talking about. I didn't conclude on my own that its tone was "aggressively negative".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 pm

I look at the newsletter occasionally, and have mentioned here some of the things appearing in it (the most recent one was the thread on crowdsourcing). I forget to check it regularly though. There's lots of decent material, and many papers contain literature reviews pointing to past work, which can be useful. However, like a lot of academic activity, a fair bit of it is crap, or at least uninteresting to me.