Dead tree encyclopedias

When pigs fly
Banned
kołdry
Wikipedia User: two kinds of pork
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Dead tree encyclopedias

Unread post by When pigs fly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:35 am

I was at a 7th graders "graduation" ceremony and while we were waiting for stuff to get started I was poking around in the library. They had a 15-20 volume pedia (wish I thought to remember the name) from 2009.

Just randomly flipping through it I compared it to en.wikipedia on jazz (with a focus on bebop), the Panama Canal, and The Whiskey Rebellion.

Now admittedly physical encyclopeidas have space limitation, but the article on the Panma Canal was 5 times smaller. Which version did I prefer? The one that told the story in a quick and concise manner -- which is what a reference guide is supposed to do. I wonder how much it cost to publish, even if you take into account the original costs from previous volumes. I bet it cost just a fraction of the amount the WMF takes in during just one yest of begging.

Before I left I grabbed "W" off the shelf -- Wikipedia did not have an article. :lmao:

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Re: Dead tree encyclopedias

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:18 am

When pigs fly wrote:I was at a 7th graders "graduation" ceremony and while we were waiting for stuff to get started I was poking around in the library. They had a 15-20 volume pedia (wish I thought to remember the name) from 2009.

Just randomly flipping through it I compared it to en.wikipedia on jazz (with a focus on bebop), the Panama Canal, and The Whiskey Rebellion.

Now admittedly physical encyclopeidas have space limitation, but the article on the Panma Canal was 5 times smaller. Which version did I prefer? The one that told the story in a quick and concise manner -- which is what a reference guide is supposed to do. I wonder how much it cost to publish, even if you take into account the original costs from previous volumes. I bet it cost just a fraction of the amount the WMF takes in during just one yest of begging.

Before I left I grabbed "W" off the shelf -- Wikipedia did not have an article. :lmao:
Print encyclopedias have limited space and editors have to consider what must stay and what must go. The advantage, though, is that only the most well-written and well-researched articles will be included.

I expect my thesis to be fully roasted when I arise my slumber.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:18 am

When pigs fly wrote:Before I left I grabbed "W" off the shelf -- Wikipedia did not have an article. :lmao:
I wonder if Wikipedia has an article on that encyclopaedia. It does on some, such as Britannica, Everyman's Encyclopaedia (T-H-L) and Chambers's Encyclopaedia (T-H-L).
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:27 pm

The Joy wrote:
When pigs fly wrote:I was at a 7th graders "graduation" ceremony and while we were waiting for stuff to get started I was poking around in the library. They had a 15-20 volume pedia (wish I thought to remember the name) from 2009.

Print encyclopedias have limited space and editors have to consider what must stay and what must go. The advantage, though, is that only the most well-written and well-researched articles will be included.
Each time I go to Britannica I am astounded at the level of readability that it contains. The articles may be shorter but they are well presented and to the point. That is hardly ever so with wikipedia articles which have a tendency to wander into trivia, and are generally bolted together from incompatible sources which rarely do any of the editors there understand. If you ever come across a wikipedia article that has a narrative flow it is almost guaranteed to have been copied wholesale from somewhere else.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:53 pm

lilburne wrote:
The Joy wrote:

Each time I go to Britannica I am astounded at the level of readability that it contains. The articles may be shorter but they are well presented and to the point. That is hardly ever so with wikipedia articles which have a tendency to wander into trivia, and are generally bolted together from incompatible sources which rarely do any of the editors there understand. If you ever come across a wikipedia article that has a narrative flow it is almost guaranteed to have been copied wholesale from somewhere else.
Which is why, regardless of the cultish flailing, wikipedia as it currently sits is a failure of epic proportions.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:53 pm

lilburne wrote:If you ever come across a wikipedia article that has a narrative flow it is almost guaranteed to have been copied wholesale from somewhere else.
Really?

Are you not concerned about the errors propagated by the Encyclopedia Britannica, some of which are corrected in the corresponding WP articles? Same thing goes for other authoritative sources such as the ODNB for instance.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Well, if this is the new Wikipedia-bashing/I love EB thread, time to chime in...

Let's all agree on this from the top: the electronic version of EB is terrible, sort of a trite and fluffy cross between Wikipedia and some second string hardcopy EB wannabe. It is not a stylistic masterpiece, it is not oozing with expertise, it is............ Stuff. Stuff With Ads.

I prefer Wikipedia's More Stuff Without Ads. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure exactly when EB went off the tracks, at what point in the past the highest quality expert-generated content devolved, but devolved it has.

Carry on.

RfB

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Well, if this is the new Wikipedia-bashing/I love EB thread, time to chime in...

Let's all agree on this from the top: the electronic version of EB is terrible, sort of a trite and fluffy cross between Wikipedia and some second string hardcopy EB wannabe. It is not a stylistic masterpiece, it is not oozing with expertise, it is............ Stuff. Stuff With Ads.

I'm not sure exactly when EB went off the tracks, at what point in the past the highest quality expert-generated content devolved, but devolved it has.

Carry on.

RfB
Perhaps lilburne has access to a different online version of EB than we do?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:01 pm

lilburne wrote:If you ever come across a wikipedia article that has a narrative flow it is almost guaranteed to have been copied wholesale from somewhere else.
There are a few good contributors. If you can find an article that is virtually wholly written by one of them, or maybe two of them collaborating, it usually flows well. Of course, such articles do deteriorate over time as other people come along and add (or subtract) their tuppence worth.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:02 pm

Malleus wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Well, if this is the new Wikipedia-bashing/I love EB thread, time to chime in...

Carry on.

RfB
The online version of EB is thin. If you go to your local library an read the bound versions from the last century, it's a different story.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:10 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:
Malleus wrote:

Carry on.

RfB
The online version of EB is thin. If you go to your local library an read the bound versions from the last century, it's a different story.
... and one of course that's badly out of date.

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Malleus wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote: The online version of EB is thin. If you go to your local library an read the bound versions from the last century, it's a different story.
Many articles on science, history, geography, and other topics do not go out of date. I still use my bound, 32-volume Encyclopedia Britannica several times a month.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Malleus wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote: The online version of EB is thin. If you go to your local library an read the bound versions from the last century, it's a different story.
As far as TV programs and obituaries are concerned. Much of the rest is still relevant. And I'm pretty sure that they've never had Richard II as King of England in 1345, or a copy editor who reckons that basic fact checking is not part of the remit. Which sort of accounts for the crap you see when the CEs mangle the facts into nonsense.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Growing up, I never cared much for EB. I always reached for World Book. I preferred the layout, found it more readable and more useful in general. No idea if it even exists today.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:30 pm

I read the entire Encyclopedia Americana volume set in our library cover-to-cover one year back in the '70s. No idea which edition. I'm considering picking up a set on eBay.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:Growing up, I never cared much for EB. I always reached for World Book. I preferred the layout, found it more readable and more useful in general. No idea if it even exists today.
You'll be pleased to hear that it does.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:11 pm

greybeard wrote:
Malleus wrote:
Many articles on science, history, geography, and other topics do not go out of date. I still use my bound, 32-volume Encyclopedia Britannica several times a month.
What's the publication date?

I remember the version when I was in high school, published in the middle 1970s or so, as being excellent. I saw a later version once and it was meh. I wasn't sure if my memory was bad or if the product had deteriorated.

The electronic version is very not good in an Encarta sort of way.

RfB

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Malleus wrote:

I remember the version when I was in high school, published in the middle 1970s or so, as being excellent. I saw a later version once and it was meh. I wasn't sure if my memory was bad or if the product had deteriorated.
It's a 1997 or 1998. I got it on eBay some years ago. I wanted one from after the fall of the Soviet Union. I think it's very good, as well as being a lovely object to hold and read.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 pm

greybeard wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Malleus wrote:

It's a 1997 or 1998. I got it on eBay some years ago. I wanted one from after the fall of the Soviet Union. I think it's very good, as well as being a lovely object to hold and read.
The one I grew up with was actually leatherbound, not quite sure how that happened, don't remember the year of publication, but probably in the '50s. It was the quality of writing that could bring even kids to spend hours of reading. I've yet to find anything better when it comes to basic introductions about diesel engines or biology, in a way that's fun to read and doesn't waste your time. The clarity of writing was extraordinary. Later, I think it was 1976 or so, I started using a version that was divided into a 'macropedia' and 'micropedia'. It wasn't nearly as much fun to read, but it might have been because of the writing instead of the reorganization. Now that I look back, I don't actually remember that it was written in British English.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Poetlister wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:Growing up, I never cared much for EB. I always reached for World Book. I preferred the layout, found it more readable and more useful in general. No idea if it even exists today.
You'll be pleased to hear that it does.
That is good. It is very hard to find good dead tree encyclopedias that discuss topics such as dwarf planets, smartphones, the Obama administration (in a neutral way), and the crisis in the Ukraine (in a neutral way).

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:43 pm

1994 World Book 22 Volume Set @ eBay - $200, shipped.

Lots of older ones, including complete sets of 60s and 70s down to about $25 plus shipping.

I had a World Book growing up, too. I always envied the EB. I suppose the grass is always greener.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 am

http://www.retrospace.org/2015/06/schoo ... e-jan.html
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

sparkzilla
Retired
Wikipedia User: sparkzilla
Wikipedia Review Member: sparkzilla
Actual Name: Mark Devlin

Unread post by sparkzilla » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Founder: Newslines