McDoobAU93 and theme park edits

Cla68
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Cla68

McDoobAU93 and theme park edits

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:21 am

This editor's editing history shows that he patrols the US theme park articles fairly heavily and reverts negative information, such as this one by yours truly. I troll the theme park articles every now and then because, in my experience, they seem to receive a suspicious amount of protection against pejorative information.

However, McDoobAU93 patrols and overwatches ALL the theme park articles, including Universal, 6 Flags, and Disney and I kind of doubt all three of those companies use the same PR firm. Could it be that this guy just has a thing for amusement parks?

EricBarbour

Re: McDoobAU93 and theme park edits

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:35 am

Cla68 wrote:This editor's editing history shows that he patrols the US theme park articles fairly heavily and reverts negative information, such as this one by yours truly. I troll the theme park articles every now and then because, in my experience, they seem to receive a suspicious amount of protection against pejorative information.

However, McDoobAU93 patrols and overwatches ALL the theme park articles, including Universal, 6 Flags, and Disney and I kind of doubt all three of those companies use the same PR firm. Could it be that this guy just has a thing for amusement parks?
It's possible. Remember my long-ago blog post about Disney.
http://wikipediocracy.com/2012/05/04/th ... lt-disney/

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Kenobi5487

Unread post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:51 am

First edit was this: (linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d=79286185[/link]). If I had to make an early guess, I would say that they are probably just obsessed.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:43 am

Canada's Wonderland (T-H-L) (a Cedar Fair park) receives a fair amount of vandalism and McDoobAU93 did not touch that article.

How do I know? I have Canada's Wonderland on my watchlist.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:10 am

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:53 am

Unless he telecommutes, it's fairly obvious he edits WP from work. A lot.

When pigs fly
Banned
Wikipedia User: two kinds of pork
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by When pigs fly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:06 am

So the guy likes amusement parks and may or may not be slacking at work. Is there a problem?

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 am

When pigs fly wrote:So the guy likes amusement parks and may or may not be slacking at work. Is there a problem?
I don't think his editing of amusement park articles is very neutral. Notice that my edit has a link to the NYTimes and his edit summary was "unable to verify" which means he just didn't like the edit and lied about not being able to verify it. So, he's a tinpot dictator over "his" topic area. This is a common problem with smaller topic areas in WP.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:53 am

Cla68 wrote:
When pigs fly wrote:So the guy likes amusement parks and may or may not be slacking at work. Is there a problem?
I don't think his editing of amusement park articles is very neutral. Notice that my edit has a link to the NYTimes and his edit summary was "unable to verify" which means he just didn't like the edit and lied about not being able to verify it. So, he's a tinpot dictator over "his" topic area. This is a common problem with smaller topic areas in WP.
+1
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

When pigs fly
Banned

Unread post by When pigs fly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Cla68 wrote:
I just looked and the source looks like it's the SacBee and is 404

ETA my bad. It was a few diffs back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/la ... .html?_r=1

When pigs fly
Banned

Unread post by When pigs fly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:08 pm

It looks like he removed two sources at once. The SacBee article is not verifiable (404), so calling him a liar is unwarranted. Also your edit attributes to the NYT that employees were "terminated with no-notice" which is not what the NYT said.
... about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost
I don't know if you have a problem with this guy or Disney (or both), but your trolling seemed to have the desired outcome. I don't know if this outsourcing issue belongs in the article or not but if it belongs anywhere it's probably best in an employment section. "Recent event" sections are a pet peeve of mine, but that's my problem and not yours. Actually since I'm Arbcom banned, I guess it's no ones problem. Fuck em sideways.

Slightly off-topic, those employees have a right to be pissed. Their replacements appear to be coming in on H1B Visas. INAL, nor do I have vast experience with H1B Visa law, but the purpose of H1B Visa's is to allow foreign nationals to work in the US if the employer is unable to find qualified Americans for the position . I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that if you are training your replacement, you are probably qualified for the position. Maybe H1B speak means "qualified for the price you want to pay".

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:52 am

When pigs fly wrote:[...]The SacBee article is not verifiable (404)[...]
FWIW here is a copy at Archive.org: link (Archive.is backup)

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:21 pm

When pigs fly wrote:Slightly off-topic, those employees have a right to be pissed. Their replacements appear to be coming in on H1B Visas. INAL, nor do I have vast experience with H1B Visa law, but the purpose of H1B Visa's is to allow foreign nationals to work in the US if the employer is unable to find qualified Americans for the position . I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that if you are training your replacement, you are probably qualified for the position. Maybe H1B speak means "qualified for the price you want to pay".
To be honest, I could really care less if Disney is replacing it's American employees with immigrant labor. I've had several friends who were economic immigrants from India, and I don't have much problem with it. What's interesting is that it shows that Disney may well still have a razor-thin profit margin if they're willing to risk the major PR headache by replacing their data services division with cheaper labor. If I understand correctly, Disney almost went under in the 1980s, which may be why they were willing to sell out their name to a kooky religious organization to operate their Japanese franchise (I might be wrong, but Japanese acquaintances have told me that Oriental Land Company is a front company for Soka Gakkai, which also owns 10% of Disney corporation stock). Note that, if true, there is no mention of this in any of the Disney-related articles in WP.

Nevertheless, the main point I'm trying to make is that this is another example of WP not living up to its claim of being the "encyclopedia that anyone can edit." What happens here is that an established Wikipediot is using his insider status to control an entire topic area. This happens all over Wikipedia.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:07 pm

For any publicly-traded company, financials are available via sec.gov

Here's Disney's last quarterly report (showing figures through the end of March)
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... 0qxdoc.htm

Cash flows of $3.7 million on the quarter and total equities of $85.7 million. Not too bad.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Cla68 wrote:
When pigs fly wrote:Slightly off-topic, those employees have a right to be ****. Their replacements appear to be coming in on H1B Visas. INAL, nor do I have vast experience with H1B Visa law, but the purpose of H1B Visa's is to allow foreign nationals to work in the US if the employer is unable to find qualified Americans for the position . I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that if you are training your replacement, you are probably qualified for the position. Maybe H1B speak means "qualified for the price you want to pay".
To be honest, I could really care less if Disney is replacing it's American employees with immigrant labor. I've had several friends who were economic immigrants from India, and I don't have much problem with it. What's interesting is that it shows that Disney may well still have a razor-thin profit margin if they're willing to risk the major PR headache by replacing their data services division with cheaper labor. If I understand correctly, Disney almost went under in the 1980s, which may be why they were willing to sell out their name to a kooky religious organization to operate their Japanese franchise (I might be wrong, but Japanese acquaintances have told me that Oriental Land Company is a front company for Soka Gakkai, which also owns 10% of Disney corporation stock). Note that, if true, there is no mention of this in any of the Disney-related articles in WP.

Nevertheless, the main point I'm trying to make is that this is another example of WP not living up to its claim of being the "encyclopedia that anyone can edit." What happens here is that an established Wikipediot is using his insider status to control an entire topic area. This happens all over Wikipedia.
The Tokyo Disney Resort article has an extremely long name for a section: 4.2 Official Hotels<ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/a ... icial.html |title=Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels |author= |date= |work= |publisher= |accessdate=November 17, 2011}}</ref>

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm

You get some fairly strong reactions when you start messing with Mickey Mouse.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Cla68 wrote:You get some fairly strong reactions when you start messing with Mickey Mouse.
Or they could fix the underlying problem with the 3RR...Naw, that'd be too clean.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Demonology
Critic
Actual Name: Beatrix

Unread post by Demonology » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 am

Cla68 wrote:You get some fairly strong reactions when you start messing with Mickey Mouse.
Hah, is the anti-Gamergate SPA PeterTheFourth (T-C-L) monitoring this site now for 'goober glabbers' to tattle on?
"Aurora borealis?? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?!"

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:09 am

Demonology wrote:
Hah, is the anti-Gamergate SPA PeterTheFourth (T-C-L) monitoring this site now for 'goober glabbers' to tattle on?
Completely new user who happened to stumble on this as his first edit
04:42, 1 December 2014 (diff | hist) . . (+162)‎ . . Wikipedia talk:Arbitration/Requests/Case/GamerGate/Evidence ‎ (→‎Question for mostly uninvolved admin PresN) (Tag: HHVM)
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Demonology
Critic

Unread post by Demonology » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:13 am

Vigilant wrote:
Demonology wrote:
04:42, 1 December 2014 (diff | hist) . . (+162)‎ . . Wikipedia talk:Arbitration/Requests/Case/GamerGate/Evidence ‎ (→‎Question for mostly uninvolved admin PresN) (Tag: HHVM)

Curious as to who's sock this may be. His reddit account was made in May 2014, but he didn't post with it until after after Gamergate had begun, where he began his reddit career by acting like a douchecanoe to people until joining the containment board that is GamerGhazi. (The GamerGhazi subreddit has also featured appearances by prominent anti-GG Wikipedians such as NorthBySouthBaranof (aka Polarscribe aka FCYTravis aka Travis Mason-Bushman), Ryulong, MarkBernstein, arb clerk Liz, and allegedly admin Gamaliel, but remember, it's only those pro-GG editors that are organizing off-site. :D )
"Aurora borealis?? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?!"

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:28 am

Demonology wrote:Hah, is the anti-Gamergate SPA PeterTheFourth (T-C-L) monitoring this site now for 'goober glabbers' to tattle on?
Maybe, though he is probably just engaging in his usual habit of wikistalking anyone who is not sufficiently opposed to GamerGate on Wikipedia. He has done that to at least half a dozen other editors, including myself. An account with the same name was banned on the CounterStrike wiki for harassing an admin. See the edits and comments here and here. Early comments on Reddit show a similar pattern of hostility.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 am

Cla68 wrote:To be honest, I could really care less if Disney is replacing it's American employees with immigrant labor.
Just so you know, I cringed twice.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:39 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Demonology wrote:
Does everything that happens on WP eventually reduce to GamerGate?
This is not a signature.

When pigs fly
Banned

Unread post by When pigs fly » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Johnny's Law.

Ihatemyusername
Critic
Wikipedia User: Bosstopher
Actual Name: another pseudonym/a pen name

Unread post by Ihatemyusername » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:22 pm

Demonology wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Demonology wrote:

Curious as to who's sock this may be. His reddit account was made in May 2014, but he didn't post with it until after after Gamergate had begun, where he began his reddit career by acting like a douchecanoe to people until joining the containment board that is GamerGhazi. (The GamerGhazi subreddit has also featured appearances by prominent anti-GG Wikipedians such as NorthBySouthBaranof (aka Polarscribe aka FCYTravis aka Travis Mason-Bushman), Ryulong, MarkBernstein, arb clerk Liz, and allegedly admin Gamaliel, but remember, it's only those pro-GG editors that are organizing off-site. :D )
I really don't get where all this sock paranoia comes from WRT GG. There's a massive peanut gallery of people on reddit who were watching the drama unfold at ANI and AE, so it's not suspicious in the slightest when you get so many new users posting in dramaspace in these topic areas. Especially in cases like Peter's where his first comments are about reddit and not really constructive.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Demonology wrote:
Does everything that happens on WP eventually reduce to GamerGate?
With those two? Probably

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Ihatemyusername wrote:not really constructive.
:welcome:
This is not a signature.

Demonology
Critic

Unread post by Demonology » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 am

Gamergate is merely one of the latest flashpoints of the ideological crusades that have plagued the project for years and years, so, yes, a lot of the drama you encounter may be connected to it as many of the editors involved in that mess are entrenched elsewhere on Wiki, pushing the same ideology inherent to the whole Gamergate issue. That was the case here, as Cla68 earned himself the aforementioned anti-GG Wikistalker PeterTheFourth for having the audacity to post on the Talk for "Mattress Performance (Carry That Weight)", a subject that has been yet another battleground for the ideologues.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:42 am

Demonology wrote:Gamergate is merely one of the latest flashpoints of the ideological crusades that have plagued the project for years and years, so, yes, a lot of the drama you encounter may be connected to it as many of the editors involved in that mess are entrenched elsewhere on Wiki, pushing the same ideology inherent to the whole Gamergate issue. That was the case here, as Cla68 earned himself the aforementioned anti-GG Wikistalker PeterTheFourth for having the audacity to post on the Talk for "Mattress Performance (Carry That Weight)", a subject that has been yet another battleground for the ideologues.
Yes, most, if not all, of recent conflicts in WP, including the Collect and American Politics cases are related. Whenever a topic comes up that has any kind of idealogical aspect to it, especially if it relates to gender, social, science, environmental, and/or secular politics, you'll see the same names pop up again and again, all over Wikipedia. There are probably about 100-200 individuals who spend almost full-time trying to use Wikipedia to change the world to how they want it to be. Part of that, of course, is trying to get individuals removed who might possibly get in the way of that.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Cla68 wrote:
Demonology wrote:Gamergate is merely one of the latest flashpoints of the ideological crusades that have plagued the project for years and years, so, yes, a lot of the drama you encounter may be connected to it as many of the editors involved in that mess are entrenched elsewhere on Wiki, pushing the same ideology inherent to the whole Gamergate issue. That was the case here, as Cla68 earned himself the aforementioned anti-GG Wikistalker PeterTheFourth for having the audacity to post on the Talk for "Mattress Performance (Carry That Weight)", a subject that has been yet another battleground for the ideologues.
Yes, most, if not all, of recent conflicts in WP, including the Collect and American Politics cases are related. Whenever a topic comes up that has any kind of idealogical aspect to it, especially if it relates to gender, social, science, environmental, and/or secular politics, you'll see the same names pop up again and again, all over Wikipedia. There are probably about 100-200 individuals who spend almost full-time trying to use Wikipedia to change the world to how they want it to be. Part of that, of course, is trying to get individuals removed who might possibly get in the way of that.
Social Justice Warriors is what they have been tagged as.
It mostly fits.

When pigs fly
Banned

Unread post by When pigs fly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Cla68 wrote:
It helps to have allies, especially at Arbcom. It amazes me that some there can't put their own bias in a corner (cue Patrick Swayze) 100% of the time. Recusing shows strength, not weakness. Judges gotta judge judge judge..

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:11 pm

When pigs fly wrote:
Cla68 wrote:
It helps to have allies, especially at Arbcom. It amazes me that some there can't put their own bias in a corner (cue Patrick Swayze) 100% of the time. Recusing shows strength, not weakness. Judges gotta judge judge judge..
Why would they?

Look at the pool they were chosen from.
They are the ANI/AN/AE/3RR drama warriors who sided with the 'right' view.

It's not like they're going to magically acquire reason and good judgement just because they won the local version of a middle school class president's race.