thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Nuclear fusion on Wikipedia, no gamma radiation

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Does anyone find it amusing that the Wikipedia article about Nuclear fusion (T-H-L) contains no mention of gamma rays or gamma radiation? I don't know enough about physics to be certain that this is an amusing nuance, but I do know that I find it amusing.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Re: Nuclear fusion on Wikipedia, no gamma radiation

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 pm

thekohser wrote:Does anyone find it amusing that the Wikipedia article about Nuclear fusion (T-H-L) contains no mention of gamma rays or gamma radiation? I don't know enough about physics to be certain that this is an amusing nuance, but I do know that I find it amusing.
It's maybe a little amusing, but the article does talk about x-ray emission in fusion reaction, and the distinction between x-rays and gamma rays is fuzzy. It's more usual to call them gamma rays when they come out of a fusion reaction, it's true, but it's not wrong to call them x-rays. Also, it correctly shows photons, labelled as gamma rays, in the CNO cycle reaction image here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CNO_Cycle.svg and in the proton-proton chain image here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FusionintheSun.svg , both of which are in the article. So meh, I guess...

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 pm

thekohser wrote:Does anyone find it amusing that the Wikipedia article about Nuclear fusion (T-H-L) contains no mention of gamma rays or gamma radiation? I don't know enough about physics to be certain that this is an amusing nuance, but I do know that I find it amusing.
There are nuances in nomenclature among physicists. 'Ionizing radiation' is used in the community for this particular case. Go ahead and insert 'gamma radiation' if you want to see a prolonged edit war.
It's one of those edge cases where you wouldn't be incorrect, and popular use of the term would guarantee that lay editors would revert any change.
;)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Clearly we need an expert like Bruce Banner to step up and fill in the gaps...

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Anroth wrote:Clearly we need an expert like Bruce Banner to step up and fill in the gaps...
The Hulk doesn't seem to approve of Jimmy Wales, though... at least the Design Hulk! http://twitter.com/DESIGNHULK/status/7822959175536640

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Though others have pointed out the article does mention gamma rays in an oblique fashion, I note that the article also doesn't directly mention beta rays or beta radiation either. These are byproducts, though, and so it's probably not that amusing, maybe only indicative of slightly uneven coverage.