Jimbo shares a $1,000,000 award with Berners-Lee

Notvelty
Retired
kołdry

Re: Jimbo shares a $1,000,000 award with Berners-Lee

Unread post by Notvelty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:45 am

thekohser wrote:Jimbo using that money to help bring freedom of expression to the Middle East is going really, really well. I mean, imagine if Jimbo's work hadn't been bringing pressure back onto the UAE government -- this woman may have been imprisoned for 54 or 55 hours, rather than the lenient 53 hours. I'm sure the Jimmy Wales Foundation will serve up a very sternly-worded tweet about this tomorrow.
It's a pity she didn't wear her fun Australian t-shirt. Maybe the experience will give her a great appreciation of the freedoms of a democratic society and not engage in such mindless hyperbole in the future.

lol.. who am I kidding. She's gone to Laos. Wonder if she has plans to insult the Junta there?
-----------
Notvelty

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:27 pm

thekohser wrote:Oh, my... Jimbo is not going to be pleased with Alastair Sloan's insightful piece today in Middle East Monitor.
Wales tweeted his reply, adopting a defensive tone in which he denied the claims. In fact, he claimed ignorance, asking, "Why don't we take this to email so you can explain exactly what the f*** you are talking about?" Though this was perhaps a ploy to prevent discussion of these embarrassing affairs in public (Wales admitted to me later that he had "mixed feelings" about his dealings in Kazakhstan), over emails it became pretty clear, pretty quickly, that Wales knew exactly what the "f***" I was talking about.
I missed this...
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:26 pm

This cartoon featuring Jimbo's celebrity cake-cutting friend sums up the whole circle.http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... the-moment

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:43 pm

You know how Jimbo is always saying how he doesn't have any particularly close ties to the Labour Party? How we should disregard all of the linkages between him and Tony Blair, and such?

Weird how the Second Knowledge Summit over there in Dubai chose to honor Gordon Brown, former British Prime Minister of the Labour Party. Also honored, Steve Wozniak.

I captured this image from a video from the 2014 edition of the Knowledge conference. I think it shows why Jimbo, with his 84% male-user-driven Wikipedia, felt right at home. So far, 100% of the featured guests and award winners of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation prize have been men. I wonder when they'll discover a woman who has knowledge?

Show me the money:
The Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Knowledge Award was shared between National Geographic Channel, which receives $500,000; Hiroshi Ishiguro, at Osaka University; and Ahmed Alshugairi, presenter of the Khawatir TV programme, who get $250,000 each.
Extra for experts: Ultimate Airport Dubai (T-H-L)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Previously, 21 December 2012, Jimmy Wales said:
When I went to Saudi Arabia, I spoke openly about freedom of speech and human rights - particularly the rights of women - and told an all-male audience that it was offensive that women were excluded from the meeting. (They were in the next room listening in!) In this case, I deeply regret having been in that situation in the first place (I did not realize the audience would be totally segregated in that way), and if I am invited again to Saudi Arabia I will insist on different arrangements being made or I won't do a public lecture.
One wonders if the few women in the audience in Dubai almost two years after his story about Saudi Arabia satisfied Mr. Wales' demand that the audience not be "totally segregated"?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 pm

thekohser wrote:One wonders if the few women in the audience in Dubai almost two years after his story about Saudi Arabia satisfied Mr. Wales' demand that the audience not be "totally segregated"?
Yes, if there is even one woman in the audience, Jimbo can say that it's not totally segregated. Of course, it may well be that even in a free country women would be in a distinct minority in the audience. Just look at the audiences at WMF events.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:One wonders if the few women in the audience in Dubai almost two years after his story about Saudi Arabia satisfied Mr. Wales' demand that the audience not be "totally segregated"?
Yes, if there is even one woman in the audience, Jimbo can say that it's not totally segregated. Of course, it may well be that even in a free country women would be in a distinct minority in the audience. Just look at the audiences at WMF events.
Yeah, but did you check out the fabulous chairs?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:18 pm

thekohser wrote:Yeah, but did you check out the fabulous chairs?
Yes, very nice.

I suppose the other question is where the women were sitting. Were they all forced to sit at the back?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Jimbo will further solidify his buddy-buddy relationship with the Sheikh Maktoum family by attending Ericsson's Change Makers Forum in Dubai, January 10th, 2016 at the Sofitel, Palm Jumeirah.

Maybe Jimbo can talk about Wikipedia editor Shamas01 (T-C-L).

Gotta love this, too:
Wales, founder of Wikipedia, said: "As the founder of Wikipedia, I saw..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:18 am

thekohser wrote:Jimbo will further solidify his buddy-buddy relationship with the Sheikh Maktoum family by attending Ericsson's Change Makers Forum in Dubai, January 10th, 2016 at the Sofitel, Palm Jumeirah.

Maybe Jimbo can talk about Wikipedia editor Shamas01 (T-C-L).
And while we're at it, I wonder what Jimbo would say if he were told that much of Wikipedia's article about Ericsson (T-H-L) was written on one July day in 2014, by Christine Luby, who is Ericsson's digital communication manager and chair of the Social Media Drivers Community? (permalink)

Don't worry about welcoming Ms. Luby to Wikipedia. She already got her invite to the Teahouse from paid editor Sarah Stierch!

Larkin
Banned
Wikipedia User: A Sextet Short of PG(2,57)

Unread post by Larkin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Poetlister wrote:Wasn't it generous of Jimbo to let Tim Berners-Lee get half?
Tim's father Conway Berners-Lee (T-H-L) is a computer scientist (naturally retired) who was one of the earliest inventors of binary tree imethods in computer science. His insertion technique was described in the literature around 1959. The point is that Wikipedia (indeed Google) could scarcely function without the fast searching methods provided by binary trees. Curiously enough his Wikipedia article doesn't mention this, but it's in Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" (Vol III pp. 98, 453).
Where ignorant drmies clash by night

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:37 am

thekohser wrote:...Ericsson's Change Makers Forum in Dubai, January 10th, 2016 at the Sofitel, Palm Jumeirah.
I guess one way for Ericsson to drum up attendance at Jimbo's boring speech about social media (what is this, 2011?) would be to burn down every other hotel in the kingdom.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Someone at Ericsson has a sense of humour. The event's official agenda contains the following write-up on Jimmy Wales:
Jimmy Wales, Founder, Wikipedia

An American Internet entrepreneur best known as the founder and promoter of the online non-profit encyclopedia Wikipedia and the for-profit Wikia web hosting company. His role in creating Wikipedia, which has become the world's largest encyclopedia, prompted Time magazine to name him in its 2006 list of "The 100 Most Influential People in the World". On January 15, 2001, with Larry Sanger and others, Wales launched Wikipedia—a free, open content encyclopedia that enjoyed rapid growth and popularity; as Wikipedia's public profile grew, he became the project's promoter and spokesman. He is historically cited as a co-founder of Wikipedia, though he has disputed the "co-" designation, declaring himself the sole founder.
The agenda provides the following information about Mr Wales' keynote speech:
KEYNOTE: HARNESSING THE POWER OF SOCIAL MEDIA

As the internet continues to grow and change at exponential rates,Jimmy Wales discusses how open-source, open-content technology will affect the fundamental ways that businesses interact with customers, dictators distributors, suppliers, and the public in the future.
- By Jimmy Wales, Founder, Wikipedia
That crossed-out bit isn't present in the original document, obviously. I'm just adding it to record the fact that I misread the word "distributors" at first, for some reason. At any rate, it will be interesting to see whether Mr Wales' comments there will include any criticism of the UAE government, as represented by the event's patron.

Nice palm trees on page 2, by the way.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 pm

He's just quoting Wikipedia without acknowledgement.
On January 15, 2001, with Larry Sanger and others, Wales launched Wikipedia—a free, open content encyclopedia that enjoyed rapid growth and popularity; as Wikipedia's public profile grew, he became the project's promoter and spokesman. He is historically cited as a co-founder of Wikipedia, though he has disputed the "co-" designation, declaring himself the sole founder.[8][9]

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:55 pm

You know how Jimbo always and everywhere strongly denounces and condemns oppressive governments, in no uncertain terms?

His visit to Dubai was no different. Look how he ripped into his host country:
“Here in the UAE we have pervasive internet filtering, this is a problem. In March 2015 the Dubai police said that the use of VPNs is illegal and can be punishable under UAE law.” - Jimmy Wales
My hat's off to Jimbo. That was a devastating blow to the leadership of the United Arab Emirates, and I'm sure it will be just the beginning of a tidal wave of international condemnation of Dubai for its stances on virtual private networks.

(P.S. Wikipedia also frequently blocks shared VPNs from participating in the editing process, as well. Users may be punished under Wikipedia policy. But you're not a hypocrite, Jimbo. No, you're not.)

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm

thekohser wrote:You know how Jimbo always and everywhere strongly denounces and condemns oppressive governments, in no uncertain terms?

His visit to Dubai was no different. Look how he ripped into his host country:
“Here in the UAE we have pervasive internet filtering, this is a problem. In March 2015 the Dubai police said that the use of VPNs is illegal and can be punishable under UAE law.” - Jimmy Wales
My hat's off to Jimbo. That was a devastating blow to the leadership of the United Arab Emirates, and I'm sure it will be just the beginning of a tidal wave of international condemnation of Dubai for its stances on virtual private networks.

(P.S. Wikipedia also frequently blocks shared VPNs from participating in the editing process, as well. Users may be punished under Wikipedia policy. But you're not a hypocrite, Jimbo. No, you're not.)
Maybe that's a bit harsh? I thought he did well in raising the UAE government's censorship issues at an event like this.

The National is a government-owned newspaper; it's encouraging that they printed his critiques (or at least some of them).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:24 pm

There's all the difference in the world between banning VPNs because people might use them in a way that the autocratic government of the UAE does not like and banning VPNs because people might use them in a way that jolly, friendly, popular Jimbo does not like.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Try not to puke...

ROUND TABLE WITH WIKIPEDIA FOUNDER, JIMMY WALES
January 11, 2016
The Global Gazette: where tech meets life and style
...A-list speakers to include Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia...

...Wikipedia is an encyclopedia curated by he (sic) community – a community that polices itself for accuracy...

Is the information on Wikipedia quality controlled?
Yes. The writing community polices itself.

...Jimmy Wales was a personable and engaging speaker who imparted valuable information on his audience. He was transparent and honest about his company and his views for the future...

...Wikia is currently ranked the #18 website on the Internet...
Heilman will probably enjoy how Jimbo talks lovingly about Wiki Project Medicine, without mentioning Heilman.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 pm

I guess Jimbo wasn't so offended by the United Arab Emirates that he would give up a chance to rake in some money from Ericsson for showing up there and talking a bit.

Maybe he took some time out of his travel schedule to go check in on Ahmed Mansoor, to see how he's doing?

Would be a good question for JimboTalk, don't you think?

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:26 am

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:27 am

So we finally got an answer.
Better late than never, I guess.

Father Jimbo wrote:
Gee, what a load of nonsense. The question was asked in bad faith and each of you is commenting in bad faith. My ongoing support for human rights causes continues through a variety of avenues. I have an annual budget which I apply judiciously supporting individuals and causes when and as I see a way to make a difference. My planned expenditures in this area, according to my current plans, will resolve the original pledge in 2024 or 2025. (I have a target, but as I say, I make my judgments depending on circumstances.)

Fr. Jimbo Wales, 21:50, 17 December 2021

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:17 am

Jimbo has apparently started to use the word "judiciously" instead of his old "carefully".

I bet he thinks it sounds more ...sophisticated ;)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:45 am

He's employed judicious once before. I think he only whips that one out for special occasions.
The benevolent dictator thing

I am more comfortable with the analogy to the British monarch, i.e. my power should be (and is) limited, and should fade over time. Wikipedia is not an anarchy, though it has anarchistic features. Wikipedia is not a democracy, though it has democratic features. Wikipedia is not an aristocracy, though it has aristocratic features. Wikipedia is not a monarchy, though it has monarchical features.

The situation in nl.wikipedia.org is probably a good example of how I can play a productive role through the judicious exercise of power. My role there is mostly just as advisor to people in terms of just trying to help people think about the bigger picture and how we can find the best ways to interact and get along to get our incredibly important work done.

But it is also a role of "constitutional" importance, in the sense that everyone who is party to the discussion can feel comfortable that whatever agreements are reached will be *binding*, that there is a higher enforcement mechanism. It's not up to me to *impose* a solution, nor is it up to me directly to *enforce* a solution chosen by the community, but I do play a role in guaranteeing with my personal promise that valid solutions decided by the community in a reasonable fashion will be enforced by someone.

Notice that very little of *that* involves actual power. Rather, it involves respect for me and my role, and that respect last only so long as I act thoughtfully and with fairness and justice to everyone, and in accordance with the broad consensus of the community.

And notice, too, that I believe such authority should be replaced as time goes along by institutions within the community, such as for example the ArbCom in en.wikipedia.org, or by community votes in de.wikipedia.org, etc.

We have very few problems, other than isolated things, with sysop abuse or cabals, even in smaller languages, and in part because everyone is quite aware that I would take whatever actions necessary to ensure due process in all parts of wikipedia, to the best of my ability.

None of this is like being a dictator, benevolent or otherwise.

HRH Jimbo of Wales, 27 Oct 2004