The connection between GamerGate.Wikia.com and Alex Jones

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

The connection between GamerGate.Wikia.com and Alex Jones

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:49 pm

gamergate.wikia.com was founded by Snowfox413. Snowfox413 is also a contributor to the "Prison Planet Intelligence Agency Wiki". "Prison Planet" is a website operated by Alex Jones, the infamous conspiracy theorist.

Snowfox413's first contribution to the Prison Planet wiki was its "Alleged Muslim Brotherhood influence operations" article, which Snowfox413 copied from an old version of Wikipedia's "Muslim Brotherhood activities in the United States" article (an article that was deleted in July 2012).

In other words, Jimbo helped draw attention to a wiki operated by an anti-Islam conspiracy theorist associated with Alex Jones.

Sidereal
Critic

Re: The connection between GamerGate.Wikia.com and Alex Jone

Unread post by Sidereal » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Sending the gamergate people to a site run by a conspiracy theorist? Sounds like a perfect fit to me. First person to post the 7 degrees between Anna and Osama bin land wins an iPad.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:00 am

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:32 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Oh, I forgot to add, Snowfox413 is trying to dig dirt on Wikipedians.
I guess everyone has some redeeming feature or other.
-----------
Notvelty

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:33 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Oh, I forgot to add, Snowfox413 is trying to dig dirt on Wikipedians.
That is incredibly pathetic. He literally doesn't know what he's doing, except for his obsessed focus on anyone who might support Zoe Quinn or "cause problems" for Tutelary and TD and company. We have far more information on all these WP insiders, but there's no way I'm going to help this little shit with his "campaign".

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:03 am

EricBarbour wrote:
That is incredibly pathetic. He literally doesn't know what he's doing, except for his obsessed focus on anyone who might support Zoe Quinn or "cause problems" for Tutelary and TD and company. We have far more information on all these WP insiders, but there's no way I'm going to help this little shit with his "campaign".
I never suggested helping him. I simply stated an observation. Personally, I would like to undermine him, but the pseudonym "Snowfox413" isn't much to go on. The "Prison Planet" / Alex Jones connection was the only thing of value that I could find.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:14 am

EricBarbour wrote:
We're a Chinese spy ring? :unsure:

http://gamergate.wikia.com/wiki/Wikiped ... e_spy_ring

The only Chinese I know is "Kung Hei Fat Choi." I learned that from Pinky and the Brain (T-H-L).
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 pm

The wonderful Tutelary has shown their womanly credentials by being one of those fighting to stop the opening sentence of Ched Evans (T-H-L) mentioning that the convicted rapist is a convicted rapist. Instead it states that he is a footballer even though he is not currently employed as one and has not been since becoming a convicted rapist.

In the charming manner so beloved of Gamergaters and their fellow travellers, Evans victim has been outed against the law in Britain which grants rape victims anonymity. She was given a new identity which has been outed again. Meanwhile Jessica Ennis has told Evans's erstwhile employers that they can un-name the stand they named after her should they take him back. Evans's fans have now tweeted how they hope that he rapes Ennis. Is it a surprise that Wikipedia's most infamous female (yes, sure) supporter of Gamergate should be siding with the rape gang?

Sidereal
Critic

Unread post by Sidereal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Are you seriously trying to argue that Chedwyn Michael "Ched" Evans (born 28 December 1988) is a Welsh convicted rapist. is an encyclopedia opening sentence for a biography? Rolf Harris (T-H-L) is a convicted child sex offender and clearly no longer an "entertainer", do you propose the same sort of change to his article? Are the people who object to such an opening to be seen as pro-pedophilia?

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Sidereal wrote:Are you seriously trying to argue that Chedwyn Michael "Ched" Evans (born 28 December 1988) is a Welsh convicted rapist. is an encyclopedia opening sentence for a biography? Rolf Harris (T-H-L) is a convicted child sex offender and clearly no longer an "entertainer", do you propose the same sort of change to his article? Are the people who object to such an opening to be seen as pro-pedophilia?
More importantly, the editor removed all mention of his career as a footballer from the lede, which is the only reason anyone outside the family and friends of the parties concerned cares about his conviction.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Sidereal wrote:Are you seriously trying to argue that Chedwyn Michael "Ched" Evans (born 28 December 1988) is a Welsh convicted rapist. is an encyclopedia opening sentence for a biography?
What about "Peter William Sutcliffe (born 2 June 1946) is a British serial killer who was dubbed "The Yorkshire Ripper" by the press"? I for one had never heard of Ched Evans as a footballer. Then again, as a rapist he is probably not notable enough for a Wikipedia article.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Sidereal
Critic

Unread post by Sidereal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 pm

The difference between Sutcliffe and Evans/Harris is blindingly obvious -Sutcliffe isn't known for anything else but being a killer.

Evans was a notable footballer, which of course doesn't mean he was a famous footballer. He's only a notable rapist now because when he raped he was a notable footballer. That's still no kind of argument for putting rapist in the opening sentence, especially if it doesn't explain why he's notable as a rapist, since 99.9999% of people who rape don't get an article.

Arguably he's not notable now for just being a rapist footballer (there's plenty of those), he's notable for causing controversy for having the gall to be a rapist footballer who dares to protest his innocence and argue for his right to return to work at the level he was previously at, having served his time under the law of the land. That's what really should be in the first paragraph, adjusted for NPOV. I've never personally understood why people treat lead sections as if they need to be in strict chronological order.

And on a purely technical note, if he's still registered with the FA, as I would imagine he is if he's training and seeking a club, then he's still technically a professional footballer, present tense, whether he has a club or not.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 am

Sidereal wrote:... since 99.9999% of people who rape don't get an article.
Not a statistician or mathematician, but I believe you may have used too many nines to the right of the decimal point.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Not a statistician or mathematician, but I believe you may have used too many nines to the right of the decimal point.
Zoloft is probably correct; the proportion of rapists with articles must be more than one in a million.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Poetlister wrote:Zoloft is probably correct; the proportion of rapists with articles must be more than one in a million.
Globally? I'd take the "under".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Drowninginlimbo
Critic

Unread post by Drowninginlimbo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Zoloft is probably correct; the proportion of rapists with articles must be more than one in a million.
What percentage of people have Wikipedia articles? The number of rape survivors is notably higher than the number of rapists, as it's often the same people targeting multiple others. The figure itself is something like 4-5% of the US population. I have no idea if 'notable' people are more likely to be sexual predators, that's an entirely different question.

I imagine most rapists don't have Wikipedia articles, the project itself is pretty Western (or more specifically American) focused and rape is even more frequent in the developing world than it is in America.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 am

thekohser wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Zoloft is probably correct; the proportion of rapists with articles must be more than one in a million.
Globally? I'd take the "under".
Sorry to be unclear. I meant that unless the proportion is more than one in a million, you can't talk about 99.9999%.