slush.org: INTERVIEW WITH SUE GARDNER, MOTHER TERESA OF etc.

mac
Banned
kołdry

slush.org: INTERVIEW WITH SUE GARDNER, MOTHER TERESA OF etc.

Unread post by mac » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:23 am

INTERVIEW WITH SUE GARDNER, MOTHER TERESA OF THE INTERNET
by Reetta Heiskanen, October 25, 2014 link
“People say to me that I’m a role model in technology, but it makes me laugh, because I’m not a technologist, I’m a journalist – that’s my background. I’m a manager of technological projects and works but I’m not a Linux Kernel coder myself.” -Sue Gardner

In 2012, Sue Gardner was ranked as the 70th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes magazine. She has been called the “Mother Teresa of the Internet”, “the librarian to the world” and “the ultimate media game-changer”.

According to Gardner, her work is motivated by the desire to ensure that people have access to the information they want and need in order to “make the best possible decisions about their lives.”

Gardner started her career as a journalist, mostly in radio and TV. In 2000 she became the director of Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s website and online news outlets and in 2007 Gardner became the executive director of Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit operating Wikipedia.

In the years since, Wikipedia’s credibility has increased, readership has doubled, and number of articles has tripled.

Revenues at the Wikimedia Foundation have grown from $2 million to $60 million, making it the fastest-growing nonprofit in the United States as measured by revenue growth.

Sue Gardner told Slush News all about the long trip to this point and what has helped, inspired and driven her along the way.
slush.org wrote:Sue Gardner is coming to Slush to share more of her thoughts. If you feel like attending, get your pass here.
slush.org wrote: WHAT IS SLUSH?
Slush is the focal point for Eurasian startups and tech talent to meet with top-tier international investors, executives and media. In 2014, Slush brings together 10.000 attendees and more than 2500 companies for the two-day event, which takes place on November 18-19th in Helsinki.

Slush is a non-profit event organized by a community of entrepreneurs, investors, students and music festival organizers. Although Slush has grown from a 300-person event to become one of the leading events of its kind in the world, the philosophy behind it has remained the same: to help the next generation of great, world-conquering companies forward.
Slush is worth attending. Every second. It is different from your regular high-quality tech conference. It gives more.
Petteri Koponen, Partner at Lifeline Ventures
MASSIVE.
– Business Insider
Sounds like a blast. :bored:

November 18-19th in Helsinki, Finland

Executive pass: 795 €
Conference pass: 395 €

EricBarbour

Re: slush.org: INTERVIEW WITH SUE GARDNER, MOTHER TERESA OF

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:30 am

mac wrote:Executive pass: 795 €
This is one of those business conferences who actually pays their presenters and "special guests", so they have to charge stiff entry fees. It's abusiness expense. (Why isn't Jimbo on the schedule too? Not invited?)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:09 am

EricBarbour wrote:
This is one of those business conferences who actually pays their presenters and "special guests", so they have to charge stiff entry fees. It's abusiness expense. (Why isn't Jimbo on the schedule too? Not invited?)
Most conventions that charge in that range also pass out a ton of free passes.
I'd be more interested in what the average price charged is at the end of the day.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Scandinavian conferences have more expectations that more women are featured. Jimbo Wales is not a woman, and Sue Gardner is.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Scandinavian conferences have more expectations that more women are featured. Jimbo Wales is not a woman, and Sue Gardner is.
As much as I have distaste for Sue Gardner, she's an intellectual giant when run alongside our dear Jimbo.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Scandinavian conferences have greater [not more] expectations that more women are featured. Jimbo Wales is not a woman, and Sue Gardner is.
As much as I have distaste for Sue Gardner, she's an intellectual giant when run alongside our dear Jimbo.
True, but she is lesser known and now her role at the WMF is only a put on---only a grey eminence front.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.